Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

sean10mm posted:

Five Guys is extremely overrated IMO.

i came here to say this

decent and unbelievably expensive -- kind of like shake shack but not as good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Might get some five guys

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

YeahTubaMike posted:

i came here to say this

decent and unbelievably expensive -- kind of like shake shack but not as good

yes, I feel like shake shack is better on almost every level except for sheer amount of food you get because of the stupid fries thing

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Crusty Nutsack posted:

yes, I feel like shake shack is better on almost every level except for sheer amount of food you get because of the stupid fries thing

Shake Shack has a better burger cooking method than Five Guys, a properly done smash style burger is great. The one Shake Shake I've been to was super slow though, and their crinkle fires aren't good either.

For that style of burger I'd say Smashburger and Culver's are both better, and if you're in the Nashville area Hugh Baby's is basically a less pretentious Shake Shack with better food and faster service.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I can get 2 double burgs and a huge fry for $23. I don’t see what all the expensive fuss is about.

I think it’s pretty good bang for your buck.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

GORDON posted:

Last 5G I went to literally had 5 women working the place.

Contact corporate.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

Contact corporate.

rename 5guys to 5xyrs

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.
1 or 2 patty, chee, pickle, tomat, lettus, pepper and ketchup and side of cajun fry...

good.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's over rated and over priced.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I had five guys on someone else’s dime last week. I remembered the tip to let the cheese melt for a bit before unwrapping. Also got Cajun fries. It was aggressively okay, but it tried too hard.

Should have gone to in n out across the street.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had five guys on someone else’s dime last week. I remembered the tip to let the cheese melt for a bit before unwrapping. Also got Cajun fries. It was aggressively okay, but it tried too hard.

Should have gone to in n out across the street.

Secret to success: Little Burger with .5x mayo, .5x mustard, .5x relish, .5x ketchup, 1x grilled onions, .5x BBQ sauce (their BBQ sauce is tang af), cheese if you want it, ask them to grill the bun, and a bit of the the gigantic order of fries whoever you went there with had. (for a real good time, turn anything mentioned as ".5x" to "1.0x" and squeeze the burger into a dipping cup to use as fry-dipping sauce.

DessertStorm
Aug 9, 2013

Dannywilson posted:

Secret to success: Little Burger with .5x mayo, .5x mustard, .5x relish, .5x ketchup, 1x grilled onions, .5x BBQ sauce (their BBQ sauce is tang af), cheese if you want it, ask them to grill the bun, and a bit of the the gigantic order of fries whoever you went there with had. (for a real good time, turn anything mentioned as ".5x" to "1.0x" and squeeze the burger into a dipping cup to use as fry-dipping sauce.

It really is a place where less = more. Gotta get the little, less toppings, and know that the small fry is enough. Plus soda, way less than $20.

Plus if YOU gently caress up and don't tell them when you get there when you ordered online, they'll give you a $5 gift card without blinking.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I love the little with all those toppings because, like I said before, it provides it's own fry-dipping sauce lol, and you know whoever you went with got way too many fries.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I like 5G but we usually only get food like that to take home and the smell of grease renders my car uninhabitable for like a week and a half. That's all I got to say about that.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I like 5G but we usually only get food like that to take home and the smell of grease renders my car uninhabitable for like a week and a half. That's all I got to say about that.

I feel sorry for people with such delicate senses of smell.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I feel sorry for people with such delicate senses of smell.

It's more than that, it's like I can feel it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Praise be to Five Guys for letting you add malt to any shake flavor. Also, they offer oreo creme and oreo cookie as separate flavors, that’s some real psycho poo poo.

The bacon cheeseburger with everything is king, but when I’m feeling a little less hungry, or the mood just strikes? The BLT with pickles is an unsung hero. Comparatively cheap and they really treat you right with the bacon.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Got a Five Guys in Plymouth, UK, today.

I went and hosed up and forgot to order the small Bacon Cheeseburger so the ratios were all wrong, it really does make a difference.

Also we don’t have A1 sauce over here, they’ve subbed in HP Sauce for it and HP Sauce isn’t a burger topping at all.

And the patties were under seasoned.

Cajun fries were pretty cool though, and I like the way they cook their fries in general.

I’ve had it before at Portsmouth (also in the UK) and it was loads better before. Oh well.

Edit: also the pickles on the burger were really good

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 4, 2020

Scott Lame
Jan 8, 2014
5 guys is pretty good, but the best burger I've had in years was at my local bowling alley. The perfectly toasted brioche bun is the key.

Generally the best burgers are found in bars, although I ordered one a few years ago and the waiter thought for a minute and said, "yeah, we can do that, I smelled the meat this morning and it was OK"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grilled cheese + add patty = patty melt

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Midjack posted:

Grilled cheese + add patty = patty melt

Also, you know you can get a grilled cheese with any/all of the burger toppings, right? That's my solution to the grossly overpriced burgers problem.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

sean10mm posted:

Five Guys is extremely overrated IMO.

I think my favorite thing they make is the hot dog actually.

I like the burgers mostly because I can customize the poo poo out of them but hell yeah the hot dog is really good. I get mine with ketchup, mustard, relish and onions. Good fast food hot dogs are hard to find unless you're talking food trucks or Costco/Sam's club and I work the nightshift so I'm pretty limited on my meat tube options.

Cajun fries are the poo poo, but why are they so much soggier than the regular fries? The seasoning? I don't get it. Does it soak up the grease when they toss it in a bowl after frying?

e: I want you all to know since I had to know that one of my co-workers once piggybacked on my 5 guys online order and her burger order consisted of a plain burger with 2x mayo, 2x hot sauce and lettuce.

I cannot loving imagine trying to eat that sloppy poo poo.

empty sea fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 21, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like five guys better than in'n'out and look forward to being in california again and comparing burgers a lot

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
worked at five guys and would never eat there, imo. The burgs are nothing special, it's just overpriced smash burger with an unseasoned patty. The fries are decent. Surprised they are doing milkshake and chicken now, tho. In all the corporate training poo poo we watched they said those were "unfeasible" lol. Also the utterly disgusting amount of food they waste is absurd.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Five guys does get props for putting malt vinegar on the tables. Every restaurant should do that imo, it disguises bad fries.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Five Guys had their brief moment in the sun before far superior burger chains like Shake Shack, Bareburger, and Culver's expanded everywhere. They were first in the fast casual burger chain rush, but were eclipsed long ago on taste and price. Why bother when I can go to Shake Shack and get a much more delicious burger or chicken sandwich and dip their very tasty fries in that great sauce? So satisfying. Never cared for Five Guys' stupidly large portions of overpriced fries that get tossed in the trash after no one eats them all either.

Shake Shack has a superb vegetarian option in their portobello burger, probably the best vegetarian item in fast food. Their shakes are legit, like the loving amazing black sesame shake. Same deal with Bareburger with their 5 different veggie burgers plus that mexican chocolate milkshake. drat, it's good. Five Guys has a mediocre grilled cheese and equally lame two buns with toppings "veggie sandwich" as their vegetarian options. Their shakes are forgettable too.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

TheAardvark posted:

Five guys does get props for putting malt vinegar on the tables. Every restaurant should do that imo, it disguises bad fries.

truth

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's also the only way to eat them reheated, vinegar fucks the texture anyway so who cares!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Just to reiterate, in the UK Shake Shack is trash, and 5Guys is expensive but reasonably good.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I got 5 guys the other day and I still don't understand why the cajun fries are so limp compared to the regular fries? They good, but they limp af. Does the spice mix really do that much post frying? Or do they cook it differently?

Also I love the fact that 5 guys does not play and if you want condiments, you get loving condiments. You want toppings? You get loving toppings. My burger ended up being eaten over a few hours at my shift and it was falling apart, but still delicious by the end. You can say what you want about 5 guys but they'll give you a burger and fries that will last you a while and still taste good and that poo poo counts on a 13 hour shift. I literally didn't have to eat any of the food I brought. That burger lasted me for hours.

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.
just here to restate my love of five guys cajun fries.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

To the one previous poster: Shake Shack food blows

Shakes are way better than 5 Guys tho

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
Their fries have gotten better, I'll give them that. It used to be a 1lb bag of soggy, greasy potatos with you burger buried at the bottom. Their burgers are good, but way too expensive. Also, I've come to dislike the vertiburg, where meat and toppings are condensed into a smaller diameter bun, and piled high. With thinner meat patties and toppings spread over a larger diameter bun you might justify the price, while removing the sensation of consuming mortar.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

A Loud Fart posted:

Their fries have gotten better, I'll give them that. It used to be a 1lb bag of soggy, greasy potatos with you burger buried at the bottom. Their burgers are good, but way too expensive. Also, I've come to dislike the vertiburg, where meat and toppings are condensed into a smaller diameter bun, and piled high. With thinner meat patties and toppings spread over a larger diameter bun you might justify the price, while removing the sensation of consuming mortar.

mite put it on the menu

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

What the hell happened to 5 guys' cheese or has it always been poo poo and I just forgot?

Got a cheeseburger today and couldn't believe how garbage the cheese was, it was sub-kraft single quality.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

What the hell happened to 5 guys' cheese or has it always been poo poo and I just forgot?

Got a cheeseburger today and couldn't believe how garbage the cheese was, it was sub-kraft single quality.

I never order cheese on Five Guys burgs precisely because it's always like they just took a slice of kraft out of the freezer and slapped that bad boy on there right before giving you the burger

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I like Culver’s but Five Guys burgers are so superior and to suggest sorry rear end smash burger is even playing the same sport is nonsense!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Since COVID, the Five Guys near me has been closed for deliveries so it's all been pick-up only (and even then, scattered hours)

But I still think people aren't burgin' enough, and they need to do the best thing about online orders - order that extra patty.

Three Patties w/ Fresh Jalapeno, Lettuce, Onion, Ketchup and Cheese? That to me, is a winner.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Do they still sell the fuckoff huge paper bag of fries? I haven't been in like 10 years but one largest size fry was enough for a table of 4 and helped offset the overall cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

TheBizzness posted:

I like Culver’s but Five Guys burgers are so superior and to suggest sorry rear end smash burger is even playing the same sport is nonsense!

:chloe: