Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Turkish/Kurdish pizza places, too.

What are your local hosed up drunk pizza toppings? Finland does kebab meat, jalapenos, and smetana. On the same pizza. (In Tampere they swap the smetana with curry mayo. Yeah.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Come on Europe you have to have something decent looking at least.

This is why you shits have brought on the fake pictures. The actual burgs over there look just as hideous and disgusting as any european staple. I'm sorry if I judge food on how it tastes instead of how much I'd like to gently caress the pictures of it on the menu.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 6, 2020

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

barbecue at the folks posted:

Turkish/Kurdish pizza places, too.

What are your local hosed up drunk pizza toppings? Finland does kebab meat, jalapenos, and smetana. On the same pizza. (In Tampere they swap the smetana with curry mayo. Yeah.)

Another one I used to get from my local place in Jyväskylä was calamari rings with creme fraiche and pickles and dill. On a pizza. It was surprisingly good, but really heavy.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

in france they do "hot dogs" which are half a baguette with a hole sort of drilled into it, like with an apple corer, and a sausage inserted with a load of sauce

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Those were invented when a guy was almost caught loving the baguettes and had to think fast

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

in france they do "hot dogs" which are half a baguette with a hole sort of drilled into it, like with an apple corer, and a sausage inserted with a load of sauce

(Pictured a double, which I never saw in person, wow!)

I first had them in Norway in the mid 90s, where they sold them on every gas station. When the Norwegian gas station chain came to Poland, they brought these too and sold the, super cheap. Polish people went nuts over them and now, 25 years later, they’re sold on every gas station and corner store in the country. I don’t think I saw them that popular anywhere else.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

pointsofdata posted:

In Austria you can get "an old purulent woman with a hunchback", which is a cheese sausage in a bread/baguette with the tip cut off and put on top. Like the pus is the cheese coming out of the sausage, and the hunchback is the cut off tip of the baguette that's resting on the sausage. The hole is also filled with ketchup and mustard, if you want.

The sausage used is of the type Käsekrainer:

You can see the cheese coming out.

Also this is the old purulent woman:

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 6, 2020

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mokotow posted:

(Pictured a double, which I never saw in person, wow!)

I first had them in Norway in the mid 90s, where they sold them on every gas station. When the Norwegian gas station chain came to Poland, they brought these too and sold the, super cheap. Polish people went nuts over them and now, 25 years later, they’re sold on every gas station and corner store in the country. I don’t think I saw them that popular anywhere else.

I swear that looks like someone photoshopped a factory part to look like food. Or a popsicle made out of bread with sausages as the stick. Reminds me of Jimmy Dean pancake & sausage on a stick (not that they sell them here in Canada).

I'm not surprised it became popular in Poland. We love any convenient way to eat sausage. I once ordered a "hot dog" at Rzeszow airport a few years ago, and it came with fresh cucumber and tomato slices :psyduck:

Cached Money posted:

You should really eat them with kajmak, which is a dairy product similar to Creme Fraiche, it's delicious. Here in Sweden we have bunch of little carts and kiosks selling this.

Burek is another top notch Balkanese street food, it's not hard to make at home either, just sort of time consuming.

Oh, I'd definitely like to explore more of the Balkans, so maybe I'll have a shot. I'm planning on Scotland this year, so if this thread's still around, I'll share anything out of the ordinary I discover there (like the goddamned Munchy box).

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

mojo1701a posted:

(like the goddamned Munchy box).

that really looks like a stoner's fever dream

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

mojo1701a posted:

I once ordered a "hot dog" at Rzeszow airport a few years ago, and it came with fresh cucumber and tomato slices :psyduck:

That's like somebody read a mistranslated article about a Chicago style hot dog and left off the best parts. :saddowns:

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I've been sharing this thread with my discord, keep the good times a-rollin. I love seeing street/fast food from around the world!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

mike12345 posted:

The sausage used is of the type Käsekrainer:

Käsekrainer im schlafrock is choice euro walkin' around food. I was apparently the only person that felt this because they'd go unsold and get a little stale so the ladies at Anker more than once just gave it to me free as they felt it unsellable, but somehow still fit for my consumption.

I must put out a really bad vibe around sausages.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

french hotdogs own if you’re not planning on going ham with toppings. also max is probably my favorite when it comes to burger chains, their spicy chicken is really good and the seasonal ones are usually on point as well

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Max just opened in Warsaw so I’ll nip down to try the chicken!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

sean10mm posted:

That's like somebody read a mistranslated article about a Chicago style hot dog and left off the best parts. :saddowns:

You'd think that thanks to the large Polish population in Chicago, they'd totally be up for sticking with mustard, sauerkraut, and pickles.

Oh, well. Had absolutely no complaints about the kebab when I was there.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
As a Norwegian, non-chain Pizzas and kebab have always been my take-out of choice (as is national tradition). Unfortunately I've moved last year and now there are none within decent purchasing distance. There used to be a tiny place where I grew up run by a Vietnamese guy who made great SEA-inspired pizzas, in particular he had a divine spice mix he threw on. Died of a heart-attack a few years ago and I felt somewhat lovely about my first reaction being sad I'll never have pizzas like that again. Not exactly a ton of Vietnamese-run pizza parlors around.

I tried McDs for the first time in 15 years a few months ago, and BK first time ever. McFlurries are great as are BK fries, and prices are quite good. Burgers were absolute hot trash though even compared to the anemic, generic POS burgers you get at cafes in this country. I remember thinking McDs was good as a kid, not sure whether I was super wrong or if standards slipped over those 15 years.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

watho posted:

french hotdogs own if you’re not planning on going ham with toppings.
French hotdogs are France's greatest culinary gift to the world.

Insurrectionist posted:

I tried McDs for the first time in 15 years a few months ago, and BK first time ever. McFlurries are great as are BK fries, and prices are quite good. Burgers were absolute hot trash though even compared to the anemic, generic POS burgers you get at cafes in this country. I remember thinking McDs was good as a kid, not sure whether I was super wrong or if standards slipped over those 15 years.
I think a solid rule of thumb is that you were always super wrong as a kid.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

bloom posted:

If you ever find yourself in Czech you should try smažený sýr, aka breaded deep fried cheese

Nothing quite like a slab of that with a dozen 50 cent beers for when you feel like shaving a couple of years off your life
You can get this on most sandwiches at McDonald's, at least in Brno. It's amazing.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
MAX...

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I really like the Currywurst at my job's canteen, that tangy ketchup they make is some good poo poo

poty fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 6, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think they're only in London but Herman ze German do fantastic currywurst.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

German Burger King had a burger that was three chicken nuggets with a bunch of jalapenos on top.

I was in France last year and got savory crepes delivered a couple times. They were like 2 lbs. a piece and so loving good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nurge posted:

This is why you shits have brought on the fake pictures. The actual burgs over there look just as hideous and disgusting as any european staple. I'm sorry if I judge food on how it tastes instead of how much I'd like to gently caress the pictures of it on the menu.

Man ain't lived unless he gently caress a burger.

ostesaks
Apr 4, 2002

snuten kommer
Every time Im in Germany I just eat Currywurst, good poo poo!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ostesaks posted:

Every time Im in Germany I just eat Currywurst, good poo poo!

I saw a Bizarre Foods episode in Germany and apparently currywurst is like the city dish of Berlin.

I really want one.

ostesaks
Apr 4, 2002

snuten kommer
And those chives/garlic butter pretzels you buy on the subway!!!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m gonna go against the grain and say currywurst is kinda poo poo and I don’t appreciate them cutting it to pieces for me. I will, however, get my ball-sack cut off for a bratwurst or krakauer in-a-bun from an imbisbüde (snack bar, basically).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what i wouldn't do for some bamischijf

indonesian noodles coated in breading, deep fried (the dutch did this)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I saw a Bizarre Foods episode in Germany and apparently currywurst is like the city dish of Berlin.

I really want one.

Currywurst is so good and you don't even have to be drunk to enjoy it.

Goddamn Berlin has good food, and people, and... poo poo maybe I want to move there.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

bloom posted:

The noble meat pie:

Available with a variety of fillings but the pictured two lovely sausages, ketchup, mustard and cucumber relish is the most iconic one. Famously compared to Dibbler's meat pies in one of the earlier Discworld books :finland:

Good lord what is going on here

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn Berlin has good food, and people, and... poo poo maybe I want to move there.

Berlin is a magical place.

Here's more 'Donner Kebab Lore:'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTvcbT9mtw

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Not a day goes by that I don't wish I was walking down a Berlin street, mystery meat in one hand and a clean, crisp pilsner in the other.

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

One my last few trips into Europe I've encountered O'Tacos, who seem to be spreading like wildfire. "French Tacos", which is to say wraps of meats, sauces and fries toasted in something like a panini press. Simple, but distinctive, varied, tasty and filling.

I had a taco or wrap or whatever at that chain once, it was way too loving sweet and not good at all :(

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Inzombiac posted:

German Burger King had a burger that was three chicken nuggets with a bunch of jalapenos on top.

I was in France last year and got savory crepes delivered a couple times. They were like 2 lbs. a piece and so loving good.

Street vendor crepes in Paris, either sweet or savory, were both delicious and a culinary bargain, no matter where my wife & I had them.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Rinkles posted:

might deserve it's own thread, but this thing from holland

can't get much faster than a wall of coin operated food dispensers

e:might cover the stuff within later. the dutch picked up a lot of great food from their colonies.

My wife described frikandellen as "like someone is serving you a hot dog but it's actually a prank."

Would still try it tho

sports
Sep 1, 2012

sean10mm posted:

There's a little known variant to the Chicago dog with onions, gem lettuce, (fresh) cucumber, tomato, yellow mustard, and loads of celery salt. It was a thing on the northwest side, but now only a few places serve it. https://forgottenchicago.com/forum/read.php?5,4749

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is Tapas fast food? I’m going to say no, but I absolutely can’t explain my reasoning.

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019
When I visited Greece in the early 2000s there was this bakery-type chain called Everest. It had all the stuffed pie stuff like spanakopita etc, but in more substantial crust so that you could eat it handheld. I wonder if that place is still around?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Mokotow posted:

Is Tapas fast food? I’m going to say no, but I absolutely can’t explain my reasoning.

No

If you take someone to a tapas bar on a first date it's probably cool but if you do the same with McDonalds it's definitely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

You can take someone to a pizza place though and that's definitely fast food.