Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The donuts are acceptable to eat if someone else purchases them, but the coffee is trash and the food is even worse trash. As in, if you're not literally starving, and your choice is between being hungry and eating at Tims you should honestly just go hungry.

They are committed to mediocrity in a very fascinating way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
when I visited Canada a couple years ago I went to visit a Timmy's to see what all the fuss was about. I had a donut and a farmer style breakfast sandwich. it was.....fine.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I got two farmers wraps this morning for $5. Feeling fine so far but I might regret it later.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This is another place to tell my story of when I went to a Tim Hortons in Quebec and tried to order the farmers wrap combo and got incredibly irate when the guy kept saying “trio?” And insisted that I was in fact not trying to order three farmers wraps but get a combo very loudly in English. I think like fifteen minutes after I ordered I realized that trio probably meant combo.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

NumbersMatching320 posted:

especially now that the Turkey Bacon Club has no mustard.

self-quoting to explain for people who haven't had it, the condiment in question wasn't actually mustard so much as what I imagine Sprite syrup is like when it goes off, with a slight mustardy undertone and even that was better than the current sandwich

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
What are people’s thoughts on the ice capps tho? I remember loving those in my late teens/early 20s.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

What are people’s thoughts on the ice capps tho? I remember loving those in my late teens/early 20s.

The one time I got one it had a really grainy texture like a Frosty but worse but I dunno if it was just the one Tims that hosed it up or if it's just an Ice Capp Thing

That's the real kicker about Tims, it's really inconsistent, I got a French vanilla in one place that was fine but when I got it at a U of Calgary location I couldn't even finish it because it tasted like dish soap

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Too much ice. It’s like a lovely slurpee where the flavour drains leaving way too much ice at the end.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The only thing worth eating at Tim Horton's are the breakfast muffin sandwiches.
Even then, they always taste like onions. I don't think they ever clean their griddles.
I'm not talking about just one location right the street from me either. This is a consistent factor among every Tim Horton's I have ever been to.
The coffee is lovely too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EightFlyingCars posted:

The one time I got one it had a really grainy texture like a Frosty but worse but I dunno if it was just the one Tims that hosed it up or if it's just an Ice Capp Thing

That's the real kicker about Tims, it's really inconsistent, I got a French vanilla in one place that was fine but when I got it at a U of Calgary location I couldn't even finish it because it tasted like dish soap

Which U of C location? There’s literally two separate ones in the student union building because when there was only one the lineup was insane. There’s tons of better coffee and food options in the same food court, and even a pub, but people loving love Tim Hortons like a crackhead loves crack.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

Which U of C location? There’s literally two separate ones in the student union building because when there was only one the lineup was insane. There’s tons of better coffee and food options in the same food court, and even a pub, but people loving love Tim Hortons like a crackhead loves crack.

Uhhhhh I think it was the one in MacEwan Hall? I don't attend school there or anything, I just stopped in on the way to an appointment

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Uhhhhh I think it was the one in MacEwan Hall? I don't attend school there or anything, I just stopped in on the way to an appointment

I went to UofC for 5 years and literally never went to the Tim's in Mac Hall because it was always ridiculously lined up. I can only imagine the poo poo that came out of there.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I remember the U of C Tim’s locations were insane during roll up the rim.

The appeal of Tim’s like 10 years ago was you basically got an insane amount of coffee. An extra large was like $2 and tasted like burnt transmission fluid so everyone dumped a shitload of cream and sugar into it. The coffee admittedly has gotten better but still isn’t amazing but it’s now the price difference to other coffees isn’t as amazing. McDonald’s is the better value for cheap coffee right now.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Timmys muffins are mediocre at best, but still better than Robin's

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
The majority consensus out here is that Tim Hortons coffee is the best (out of the fast food chains).
dont @ me just yet because 'here' is industrial and suburban Detroit, where the chain creeped in from Windsor almost fifty years ago.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I've never once had any food at Tim's that I didn't regret getting. Like, every single sandwich, soup, whatever, their food is awful.
Their coffee is an abomination too but somewhat less repulsive than McDonald's.

The coffee I make at home is too good to waste freaking 2$ on a fast-food poo poo fluid.

That's my Tim's story and I hope you enjoyed it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Same, but when I drink one now it feels like how people who don't like to do coke describe being on coke.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 7, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Tims generally sucks. The ones near me seem to operate on a system of not having more than 2 of any donut in stock. And the best donut, Old-Fashioned Plain are always, ALWAYS sold out. gently caress it though, 7-11 has better apple fritters than Tims does.

Tims is also unique in that at any time there's about 30 staff behind the counter at any given time, and yet they have the absolute slowest service of any joint. 30 people behind the counter, it's still going to take you 10 minutes to buy a donut.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

the kentucky quid posted:

I realized that trio probably meant combo.

Yes that's exactly what it means

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
ive never seen a tim hortons in my life but thanks for the warning OP

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

ive never seen a tim hortons in my life

the chosen one

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Modern Tims is a great example of what happens when a company is purchased by a massive conglomerate that suddenly starts making massive cuts all across the board in order to see immediate return on investment without a singular gently caress given about the long-term damage done to the brand's reputation.

They spent money updating the storefronts but cut costs in all the foodstuffs, I don't understand the logic at all.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

the kentucky quid posted:

This is another place to tell my story of when I went to a Tim Hortons in Quebec and tried to order the farmers wrap combo and got incredibly irate when the guy kept saying “trio?” And insisted that I was in fact not trying to order three farmers wraps but get a combo very loudly in English. I think like fifteen minutes after I ordered I realized that trio probably meant combo.

The shawarma places in Ottawa like pulling that. If it's the hill restaurants want to die on, they can die while being screamed "COMBO" at.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I eat at Timmies way too much because there's one next to where I work and I'm lazy. I also eat far too many of their donuts, because I'm a sugar junkie and will happily eat any donut and never say no to a combo. These days I mostly stick to the bagel belt and the BLT, with occasional forays into the crispy wraps.

Speaking of inexplicable ownership changes, a year or so ago they changed the turkey bacon club from using honey mustard to using mayo. This took the most edible sandwich on the menu and made it taste like disappointment.

E: oh this was already mentioned. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Without further ado, here is my Tim Horton's donut flavour tier list.

S:
Canadian Maple
Honey Cruller
Apple Fritter

A:
Double Chocolate
Boston Cream
Chocolate Dip

Most of the special rotations also fall here: they're usually excessive and poorly assembled e.g. the current one that is a double chocolate cut in half and then stuffed with chocolate frosting. It always falls apart and is kind of mangled, but sometimes I just want as much chocolate as is available.

B:
Pretty much anyone I didn't mention.

Specialty donuts with a sticky filling that splooges out when you bite it in inconvenient ways-- the filling needs a a higher densitiy.

F:
Old fashioned/sour cream glazed
Whatever the sad coconut flaked one that shows up sometimes is

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 20, 2020

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

i like old fashioned plain donuts and tim hortons makes them

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CRISPYBABY posted:

Honey Cruller
Its like eating a parrafin wax butthole.

Not just a bad aftertaste, a bad after-texture too.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

Speaking of inexplicable ownership changes, a year or so ago they changed the turkey bacon club from using honey mustard to using mayo. This took the most edible sandwich on the menu and made it taste like disappointment.

This is so drat true.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I lived in Vancouver for 3 years and Tim Hortons loving Sucks.

Food is small and overpriced, coffee is trash.

Also controversial opinion here that will most likely turn the thread against me:

Turkey is a trash meat for losers.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Abongination posted:

I lived in Vancouver for 3 years and Tim Hortons loving Sucks.

Food is small and overpriced, coffee is trash.

Also controversial opinion here that will most likely turn the thread against me:

Oh, sweetie, nobody cares about you that much.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Abongination posted:

Turkey is great... for one time a year.

Then you gotta build up to it for another year. It's like a Whopper; you eat one a year, and immediately feel regret afterwords. Cut to 11 months later, and you're thinking "drat... you know what I haven't had in a while? A Whopper! Those were good, rite?"

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Just went to Tim's and there was a giant pink puke right outside the door. I got a coffee and pissed. It sucked.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I got my routine bloodwork lab results back yesterday and, good news, almost everything looks good, including my blood sugar and cholesterol levels! That means I get to pig out on all the fast food I want and absolutely none of it will come from Tim Hortons

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
In my old hometown Kamloops BC, there is a guy who ran Timmy's for years then stopped*. And by stopped, I mean stopped being Tim's and started being the Donut King. Since he ran it for decades prior as Tim's, he had the old tim's recipes from before the dark times when frozen donuts were shipped across the land. So if you're an old like me and remember Tim's donuts having that actual fried donut flavour and being kind of good and also like salad rolls and pho because he's vietnamese, there you go.

*small-town rumour had it front door was for donuts and back door was for green and white and Tim didn't like it

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

PlaneGuy posted:

*small-town rumour had it front door was for donuts and back door was for green and white and Tim didn't like it

Yet another reason to hate Tim's

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tim Hortons coffee is fine. Nothing bad, nothing special. But it all started to go down hill when they stopped making fresh donuts 20 years ago and the final nail is when they started to make "food".

Also I don't drive but I think the drive through should be limited to donuts, muffins and simple beverages. If you need six different ice caps, sandwiches and whatever else go inside and get it please.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

PlaneGuy posted:

This is basically true of any restaurant. If you want drugs, talk to back of house.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

One time I got the "steeped tea" and idk what was in it, industrial teapot cleaner? But it tasted of nothing but soap and green beans(???) and made me the most nauseated I've ever been

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Tim Hortons is poo poo. Several years back, the first one in the area opened near my office. I figured I'd be the hero of the day and bring in a dozen. I got a random assortment and they were all fuckin garbage.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Killingyouguy! posted:

One time I got the "steeped tea" and idk what was in it, industrial teapot cleaner? But it tasted of nothing but soap and green beans(???) and made me the most nauseated I've ever been

I’d just like to show my appreciation for you knowing the difference between ‘nauseous’ and ‘nauseated’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I liked the Dutchie when I was growing up in Canada. I saw that they had discontinued it, briefly brought it back, then ended it for good :smith: