Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One time me and my friends went to I believe Applebee’s in order to take advantage of their infinite appetizers promotion and that’s when we discovered you really can’t eat that many plates of appetizers in one sitting because most of them are like just incredibly fried starchy plates designed to fill you up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
back when i routinely flew from Charlotte to Omaha i would often get blitzed at the airport Applebee's bar during my layover

that's my Applebees story

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Zippy the Bummer posted:

back when i routinely flew from Charlotte to Omaha i would often get blitzed at the airport Applebee's bar during my layover

that's my Applebees story

:thanks:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

One time me and my friends went to I believe Applebee’s in order to take advantage of their infinite appetizers promotion and that’s when we discovered you really can’t eat that many plates of appetizers in one sitting because most of them are like just incredibly fried starchy plates designed to fill you up

Yeah that seems like how most of these types of restaurants do it.

I hate to be the guy to poo poo on Applebee's et al but I can't stand those types of restaurants. They represent the absolute worst of generic suburban hellscapes to me. Just filling me with existential terror.

I would rather go to Burger King or McDonald's, some place where at least They're honest about the lovely fast food they're offering

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Every so often I go to Red Robin with a buddy of mine and it’s always disappointing in some way. If the food manages to be on point, the beer is flat. If the beer is decent the fries have been sandbagged since Tuesday. Most times the service is lousy.

I haven’t been to Chili’s/Applebee’s in I don’t know how many years now. I’ll hit Denny’s when I’m on long road trips, though. Otherwise I’d rather just cook at home.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

tgif is of the same quality as lower-medium tier microwave food

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Chili's is maybe a 6 month go-to, partially because we have a four year old and partially because my wife loves to buy poor quality poo poo at the nearby Christmas Shop.

About four years ago I mowed my neighbors lawn when they went on vacation for a couple of weeks. To show their appreciation, they gave me...an Olive Garden gift card.

We have one in our area and short of getting there at 4pm, it's always busy with an hour+ wait. We've yet to spend a time on that $50 G/C.

The last time I went there was about 5 years ago with my parents after my nephew's 8th grade graduation. Apparently on the basis of that, for Christmas this year, one of the gifts my mother gave our family was...another $50 Olive Garden G/C. :cry:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Yeah that seems like how most of these types of restaurants do it.

I hate to be the guy to poo poo on Applebee's et al but I can't stand those types of restaurants. They represent the absolute worst of generic suburban hellscapes to me. Just filling me with existential terror.

I would rather go to Burger King or McDonald's, some place where at least They're honest about the lovely fast food they're offering

Millennials, as always, are being blamed for killing chain restaurants like Applebee's. It's almost like they don't want to eat frozen foods and would rather have decent quality stuff and support local businesses. Which they of course aren't being praised for.

I went to Chilis once last year for maybe the second time ever. It was drat near impossible to find a decent meal (with a shared appetizer) under 2,000 calories. I went over the menu for about 15 minutes adding mains and sides up to create a combination of an actual meal that worked. Some of the salads were above 1,000.

edit:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 8, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lol how is something called a "Quesadilla Explosion Salad" real

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Lol how is something called a "Quesadilla Explosion Salad" real

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

My work sent me to a lovely town in New Mexico for a week and the best they had was an Applebee’s so I ate there every day in between drinking alone in my Super 8 motel room, trying and failing to stave off the incredible depression being there put me in

Don’t recommend, but it did give me a load of empathy for the people who have to live in these places

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Probably gonna go to Chili's again some time this week you guys and gals. I will keep you updated

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I usually just get an appetizer platter for my entree at these sorts of places. It's the best way to avoid disappointment.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cheesus posted:

Chili's is maybe a 6 month go-to, partially because we have a four year old and partially because my wife loves to buy poor quality poo poo at the nearby Christmas Shop.

About four years ago I mowed my neighbors lawn when they went on vacation for a couple of weeks. To show their appreciation, they gave me...an Olive Garden gift card.

We have one in our area and short of getting there at 4pm, it's always busy with an hour+ wait. We've yet to spend a time on that $50 G/C.

The last time I went there was about 5 years ago with my parents after my nephew's 8th grade graduation. Apparently on the basis of that, for Christmas this year, one of the gifts my mother gave our family was...another $50 Olive Garden G/C. :cry:

I’ve been to Olive Garden precisely once in the last 15 years and it’s because my boss picked it as a place to have lunch and it was even blander and shittier than I remembered/imagined.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

dads friend steve posted:

My work sent me to a lovely town in New Mexico for a week and the best they had was an Applebee’s so I ate there every day in between drinking alone in my Super 8 motel room, trying and failing to stave off the incredible depression being there put me in

Don’t recommend, but it did give me a load of empathy for the people who have to live in these places

I live in NM, so I'm trying to guess where you were for fun. Google Maps open with a search for Applebees... Was it Gallup? Feel like Roswell or Las Cruces would have earned a name drop, while Gallup is just a place I try to forget about.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

I live in NM, so I'm trying to guess where you were for fun. Google Maps open with a search for Applebees... Was it Gallup? Feel like Roswell or Las Cruces would have earned a name drop, while Gallup is just a place I try to forget about.

I’m trying to not be a huge dick to NM because I actually did feel bad about how much I didn’t like it there

E: but yeah it was Roswell. The people there were really nice fwiw

dads friend steve fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 9, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

dads friend steve posted:

I’m trying to not be a huge dick to NM because I actually did feel bad about how much I didn’t like it there

E: but yeah it was Roswell. The people there were really nice fwiw

Roswell was my backup guess, seems like a place that might be ok to live but being a stranger there for work would suck because you don't know anybody and there's nothing to do for miles and miles, once you've exhausted all the UFO-related tourism poo poo.

Albuquerque has loving good restaurants but places like Red Robin are always stupidly packed too. The only time I've waited an hour for a table in this town was at loving PF Chang's (friends picked the place).

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Applebees appetizers are fine.

Olive Garden Soup, Salad, and Breadsticks is also fine.

Used strategically, they can feed two people for less than your average fast food order.

Go in peace and wisdom thrifty lovers of mediocre food.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
OG bread sticks are way too salty. I mean, I still jam a dozen down my fat fuckin craw and take just as many home to snack on, but they're still too salty.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

no. if there's nothing better in your area that's better than tgif/chili's/applebee's then you're hosed. there's usually so many more interesting options at a similar price point that i just don't see the point where i live.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Pham Nuwen posted:

Albuquerque has loving good restaurants but places like Red Robin are always stupidly packed too. The only time I've waited an hour for a table in this town was at loving PF Chang's (friends picked the place).

I was in ABQ for like 3 months for work a couple years back, and my coworker and I ate at a different place every night pretty much and had only one bad meal (yo, gently caress Twisters, poo poo was bland as hell but still managed to give me the shits) the entire time. I have no idea how someone could go there and go to like TGI Fridays.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bird with big dick posted:

I’ve been to Olive Garden precisely once in the last 15 years and it’s because my boss picked it as a place to have lunch and it was even blander and shittier than I remembered/imagined.

I went to one for the first time in about 10 years sometime last year. Yup. Terrible. They had a never ending pasta thing and I got a plate of noodles with literally a few tablespoons or so of alfredo on the center of it. I looked at the dude like... come on man. But I knew his plight so I just ate part of it and that's that. Maybe I'll go there in 10 years and try it again if they haven't failed miserably.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Olive Garden Soup, Salad, and Breadsticks is also fine.

This was the only thing that was decent.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 10, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dannywilson posted:

I was in ABQ for like 3 months for work a couple years back, and my coworker and I ate at a different place every night pretty much and had only one bad meal (yo, gently caress Twisters, poo poo was bland as hell but still managed to give me the shits) the entire time. I have no idea how someone could go there and go to like TGI Fridays.

Twisters is what I get when I'm hungover and want a breakfast burrito but don't want to go all the way to Golden Pride. I've only ever had the carne adovada breakfast burrito and it was good; I hear the burgers aren't great.

If we could get a good barbecue place and an Ethiopian restaurant in town, I'd be pretty loving set.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I went to one for the first time in about 10 years sometime last year. Yup. Terrible. They had a never ending pasta thing and I got a plate of noodles with literally a few tablespoons or so of alfredo on the center of it. I looked at the dude like... come on man. But I knew his plight so I just ate part of it and that's that. Maybe I'll go there in 10 years and try it again if they haven't failed miserably.

I also went to an OG recently for the first time in years (man, my wife's friends are not to be trusted to pick restaurants) and IMO never ending pasta is a trap. Everyone else got that, I went with chicken marsala, and for the same price I think I got the better deal. Unless you add meats at additional cost, it's just loving noodles and boring sauce; how much of that do you really want to eat?

Edit: the breadsticks are pretty acceptable as salty sauce-conveyances, though.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Pham Nuwen posted:

If we could get a good barbecue place and an Ethiopian restaurant in town, I'd be pretty loving set.

I mean Rudy's isn't terrible, esp if you go on Sundays and get the prime rib special, but yeah they are chain.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Twisters gets such wildly different reviews.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
When I was young I used to go to these all the time. I had friends.

Now I am alone. There is no reason to eat great in the neighborhood, or be somewhere where I am like family with my fellow diners, and I've never had a baby, so no need to bring it back.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Denny's is better than Applebee's. I will not be taking questions

Whoa. Get a grip dude.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Denny's is great. When I was living in Seattle, a bunch of my friends were living away from their families, as I was, and we'd go there every Thanksgiving to have whatever the hell sort of turkey dinner slop they had.

It was a tradition.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Ms derps flipped out once at a Chili's cause they didn't have Reubens so we ended up at Denny's.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

It's insane the amount of salt these places put in their food. I'm not opposed to sodium or anything but like 4000 mg in a single plate seems excessive. Anyways no I don't go to any of these places op

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Jenny Agutter posted:

It's insane the amount of salt these places put in their food. I'm not opposed to sodium or anything but like 4000 mg in a single plate seems excessive. Anyways no I don't go to any of these places op

500-4000mg in a SALAD is what scares the gently caress outta me.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've spent most of my life living somewhere that has local places that serve food that tastes a lot like Applebee's and its cousins, so I've never really been offended by the food. I just would rather not go to one of them.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Dannywilson posted:

500-4000mg in a SALAD is what scares the gently caress outta me.

Salad literally means salt :thunk:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Who What Now posted:

OG bread sticks are way too salty. I mean, I still jam a dozen down my fat fuckin craw and take just as many home to snack on, but they're still too salty.

If breadsticks are what you're there for just dehumanize yourself and face to Fazoli's assuming you have one nearby.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't eat at any of these regularly but I'll take Friday's over the other two, most times.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
In my college town there was an applebees that had an afternoon happy hour, it was like 1-4 or something. And it was cheap, I think apps were half off, and pitchers of non terrible beer (they had pnw micros) for like 5 or 6 bucks.

My friends and I liked to climb at a gym that was pretty close to that place, so we'd often go climb for an hour or two around noon, then hit up applebees and just get a shitload of salty fried poo poo and a couple pitchers. Came out to be like 10 bucks a head after tax and tip most nights which you can't really beat for food + beer.

That was about a decade ago now though. I did eat an applebees once like 2 years ago, we got a coupon in the mail for like 5 bucks off their 2 for 20 deal and I was like "I had fond memories of this back when I was in college lets give it a shot" and it was uh, p mediocre. She got some sort of pan seared fish fillet thing that was edible but dry, I got a burger that was overcooked and way too sweet (had bbq sauce that was super sugary). The only good part was the app.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 20, 2020

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I do miss having a chain seafood restaurant like Red Lobster or Joe's Crab Shack nearby. Seafood restaurants here in Seattle are expensive as poo poo and paying like 50 bucks for a single lobster tail is robbery.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Enjoying the current Cheesecake Factory memes

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Covid-19 is going to kill these chains. No one is going to get takeout from Applebee's lol.

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Covid-19 is going to kill these chains. No one is going to get takeout from Applebee's lol.

:rip:

And here I was thinking that in the post COVID-19 hellscape, well capitalized corporate chains like TGI McChiliBees are the only ones that can withstand the storm and will be all that’s left to take over the vacant real estate from all the good restaurants that are about to die.