Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

achtungnight posted:

God, these videos are making me wish I still had this game. Maybe Steam’s got a pc version.

This is the version we're playing, go shoot some Nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The context of killing nazis makes everything better.

For example, the run cycle. Here I come! Oh boy! Here I come to kill some Nazis oh boy oh boy! :buddy:

Also why is that bottle of champagne the size of your torso? No wonder it's so expensive.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

achtungnight posted:

God, these videos are making me wish I still had this game. Maybe Steam’s got a pc version.
I´d suggest that you get the GoG version instead https://www.gog.com/game/saboteur ,since they actually make a drat effort to get the games they sell working with modern systems.

EDIT: Beaten like slow poster..

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You mentioned Nazi uniforms, so I'm going to seize the opportunity to link to some of comrade Cessna's posts on why they were terrible. I can't quote from a closed thread unfortunately.

On suspenders

On the feldbluse and why it was bad

On excessively laborious helmet production

On soviet winter jackets vs nazi winter jackets and why the gently caress are you putting fur lining on infantry gear

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

As for the camps, they were well in force before WW2; though the actual extermination camps weren't. They were simply equivalent to Soviet or British gulags at the time.

Also, re. the Wehrmacht, that was the name given to all the armed forces of the Nazis. The airforce was specifically the Luftwaffe, headed by the infamous Herman Göring, who's name unfortunately shamed his brother Albert Göring. I say unfortunately because Albert was like the opposite of Herman in almost every way.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 2, 2020

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Samovar posted:

As for the camps, they were well in force before WW2; though the actual extermination camps weren't. They were simply equivalent to Soviet or British gulags at the time.

Also, re. the Wehrmacht, that was the name given to all the armed forces of the Nazis. The airforce was specifically the Luftwaffe, headed by the infamous Herman Göring, who's name unfortunately shamed his brother Albert Göring. I say unfortunately because Albert was like the opposite of Herman in almost every way.

Same with Heydrich. He was a right bastard and one of the main architects of the Holocaust, but he was killed in the middle of the way by the Czech resistance. His brother inherited all his papers, read them, realised what was happening, and spent the rest of his life trying to help Jews.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play The Saboteur Episode 4 - The Moon's Chill

This game has the best loving physics :allears: Both intentionally and unintentionally

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Major disadvantage in getting blown while killing Nazis is the unfortunate side-effect in that it distracts from killing Nazis.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Most of the time when you play this game, you should be doing one thing and one thing only- killing Nazis!

I may not like Inglorious Bastards, but that was a cool line.

This episode reminded me of another fun thing about this game. It was the first open world game where I was able and motivated to collect all the various vehicles available. The run Dan does in this mission with the limo can be repeated in free roam with every vehicle in The Saboteur that you can drive. Once vehicles are collected, you then can call up the vehicles from garages to drive around in. The Getaway Strike option will also bring a vehicle directly to you (stop by a garage and use the menu to designate which vehicle). If a vehicle in your inventory gets destroyed by bad driving or other mishap (Dan showed off some possible mishaps), the garages can also repair them for a small fee. There's also vehicle armor upgrades- but no other upgrades unfortunately.

I said earlier that I was motivated to collect every vehicle in the game. What did that for me was the unlockable Perks. If you collect all the Nazi vehicles (Sturmwagon, Bauer truck, motorbike with sidecar, Kaiser limo, etc), you are rewarded with free repairs. Get all the Nazi, racing, and civilian vehicles- the reward is that you can also collect tanks! The many vehicles range from common civilian cars and cargo trucks you see on the streets to strange ones like a farm tractor (fleeing the Nazis on this is as fun as it sounds) to various one-place spawns like Dierker's race car. I don't expect Dan to get them all, but it would be cool if he tried.

Collectible Tanks are all one place spawns unfortunately. You can't just go around stealing the various tanks parked on the street. :( There are plenty of maps and Youtube videos online to point you to all the cars.

Dan also talks a bit about the causes of World War 2 in this video. I could go on for a while about that, unfortunately I lack the time at the moment. I'll see if I can find it this afternoon, if other history buffs want to get discussion going before then, go ahead.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Dan playing any game with Nazis in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnp6HiftUGc

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

An important note: Anyone Dan accidentally runs over is clearly a vocal supporter of the Vichy regime. If they were loyal French people they would have dived out of the way.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Came for the thread title, staying for the bombed-out ruins of what looks like an interesting game!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Does the game keep a total nazi kill count for your save file?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Sorta disappointed you don't hop on the anti-air guns and blast the nearby towers to poo poo.

But any complaints pale in the face of sheer nazi murder. It's cathartic, considering the neo-nazis I'm forced to work with at my job.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Drakenel posted:

Sorta disappointed you don't hop on the anti-air guns and blast the nearby towers to poo poo.

But any complaints pale in the face of sheer nazi murder. It's cathartic, considering the neo-nazis I'm forced to work with at my job.

You should stop working for ICE then

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Causes of World War 2

Standard disclaimer- I majored in history in college and have read a lot of it, but my memory isn’t always great. So if I get something wrong and you can correct me, go right ahead.

In 1914, much of European land and politics was dominated by the imperialist regimes of Germany and Austria-Hungary. These countries had spent the last century or so having their governments collapse and then reconstruct themselves over and over again. The current regimes were both serious about nationalism, believing that they should rule the world, dominate trade and all other people, and so on. In Asia, the government of Japan was also dominated by this philosophy. They had just gotten into a war with Russia over the attitude about five years ago and America had to step in to break it up and calm things down once the war went bad for both parties. It’s important to note America didn’t actually get much political or trade benefits out of doing this, so the United States was not exactly eager to do that again soon. Europe was meanwhile full of Germany & Austria-Hungary shaking their impressive militaries and the other countries worried about them suddenly going nuts. In the summer of 1914, the spark of war was ignited when terrorists in Sarajevo assassinated a visiting Austrian prince.

Sarajevo had always been an unstable region, as was all of Eastern Europe, said Kaiser Wilhelm, the ruler of Germany. He and the Austrians swept in with their armies and took over the region. Western Europe- France, England, Holland, all the other countries- didn’t like this, so they suspended trade with the aggressor states. Said states then declared war and launched a campaign of stalemate invasion that lasted the next four years. Both Germany and Austria-Hungary tried to take territory, they weren’t always able to hold it, and the constant fighting ruined trade and daily life for a lot of people. Things escalated when the Ottoman Empire allied with the Germans and took over the Middle East. The USA tried to stay out at first, but in late 1915 Germany sank one of our ships for violating their Atlantic blockade and next year we joined the Alliance against them. It took till the fall of 1918, but these Allies won the ensuing conflict, known today as World War 1.

Afterward the governments of Germany and Austria-Hungary were basically broken up again. Old politicians were out of power and the new ones were warned not to start another war. Their economies were devastated by enforced reparations from the other European countries they had invaded and failed to conquer. The rest of the world saw great economic success in the 1920s, Germany didn’t see much. Of course, every country suffered an economic depression in 1929 when the stock market crashed. In Germany, this was especially bad. In this environment of disappointment and concern, a small volatile party of nationalists stepped up and proposed a new philosophy. Germany wasn’t going to stay down forever, they said, it couldn’t. Its people were the Master Race, destined to rule the world! Other nations were responsible for the current crisis, and Germany could rise up and defeat them, then dominate them. The group preaching this was of course the Nazis, and they came to full political power over Germany in 1933.

Hitler, the Nazi leader, decided to get Germany out of the economic depression by building up industry and the military. He got money to do so by convincing the wealthy of Germany to support him and seizing money from various Germans who dared to oppose him. When the rest of Europe protested Germany’s military buildup, he told them he of course wasn’t planning to start a war, Germany just needed to get its economy fixed and national pride was the way. Europe didn’t really want a war again either, so they said ok and backed down. Meanwhile Germany kept growing in power. They formed political alliance with Italy, which had just become dominated by Mussolini, a dictator whose political philosophy largely matched Hitler’s. Japan also became their ally in the East. The Japanese had recently began seizing territory and taking over governments throughout Southeast Asia. The rest of the world didn’t like it, but they had yet to declare war. Economic depression and fear of war was greater political concern. And everything was fine, Germany told Europe. Of course we’re not planning to start a world war again. Look, we’re even signing a non aggression treaty with Russia, the country that we probably damaged the most during the last world war! We hosted the Olympics in 1936, we won a lot of medals! Our pride is strong and rightfully so! In fact, we have so much pride, industry, economic success, and so on, we think we need more land!

In 1937, Germany began seizing more land for itself. First they invaded and annexed Austria, then Czechoslovakia. They dressed it up as uniting nations of similar ethnic background, but it was really just a new wave of German imperialism. The rest of Europe didn’t declare war over this at first, they thought giving Hitler small gains would appease Germany. And surely Germany wouldn’t come after them next. Their economies were still in shambles, but their militaries were strong. Germany knew this, and they weren’t fools! Then in 1938, Germany invaded and took over Poland. Enough, said the newly elected government of Great Britain. We’re declaring war on Germany, hitting them with trade sanctions, etc. Who’s with us? Plenty of other European nations stepped up, but Hitler lashed out with his military and invaded them in response. As we see in The Saboteur, this resulted in an invasion of France by Germany in 1939. The German military swept into the country, and this time it did not result in a trench war stalemate with the French army. Germany took over, put a puppet regime called the Vichy government in charge, and conquered France. They also took over Holland, Belgium, all of Scandinavia except Finland, and much of Eastern Europe. They bombarded Great Britain when the British tried to stop them. Other countries were scared into neutrality (Finland, Switzerland, Spain, and more, including America, for now anyway), still worried about war and their own economies. At the height of German aggression, Hitler had troops taking over North Africa, blockading the Atlantic Ocean, and even invading Russia. Nonaggression treaty? what nonsense! They told the Russian leader Stalin at the time. He joined the Alliance against them and tried to fight back, but in 1940 Russia’s economy was still in bad shape. They had lots of soldiers but few guns.

Meanwhile Japan, Germany’s ally, had conquered much of the Pacific Ocean. They’d seized control of Eastern China and what governments they hadn’t conquered were fighting them at a stalemate. The United States of America had great political and trade power in the region, but we didn’t want to get involved. Until of course Japan attacked our country directly in December 1941. They called it a warning, said they were taking over the Pacific and the United States couldn’t stop them. America wasn’t having any of that, and now we were going to war! We agreed to help Britain and Russia beat down Hitler if they help us beat down Japan. It takes about three years, but since Germany is already overextending its power and we’re just better at fighting, our determination defeats theirs. And this time, America and the other allies don’t cripple Germany and the other aggressors of the world war. We help their economies, sculpt the new governments into allies after beating down the old ones. Russia sculpts their allies into opposition against America and Britain, but that’s another story. The Nazis are out of power after losing the war, and from then on only mentally challenged fanatics dare to support Nazi ideals. Such goes history!

[deep breath] Feel free to jump in and correct me if you want. Or expand on this. I’ll probably get into more specifics about it as the game goes on. Like Dan said in the video, it largely boiled down to people not liking each other, then starting wars.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Does the game keep a total nazi kill count for your save file?

Yes, it does. It even lists types of Nazis you kill (Wermacht, SS, Gestapo, Kreigsmarine) and rewards you for particularly cool achievements in killing them. Murdering Nazis is fun!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

bunnyofdoom posted:

You should stop working for ICE then

I wish. But no, one of my jobs is a basic rear end retail job. Seems to attract the worst types. Presumably out of desperation. One of them dribbles out his brains about 'duh joos' and the other is a crackhead that thinks its 'ironic' and 'funny' to praise hitler.

I don't care for either of them, no.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Causes of WWII: loving Nazis, Man.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Dan I actually have a similar story about my grandpa. He was on the other side (Italy, he got drafted by the fascists); he was sent to Greece when Mussolini tried to grab that country, and stayed behind to slow down the Greek's advance when they kicked Italy's rear end (which prompted Hitler to invade Greece himself). My grandpa got captured by the Greek, was handed over to the British, and spent the rest of the war living relatively comfortably in a POW camp in India.

The rest of his unit was sent to Russia later in the war, and most didn't come back from there.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Full disclosure- I too have ancestors who fought in WW2. Of my grandfathers, one served on an US destroyer in the Atlantic and the other went to medical school in part to get involved in the war from that side. The conflict ended before he graduated, but he still inherited all the determination of the war effort in his character. I also had two great uncles in the US Army. One stormed the beaches of Normandy on D-Day and fought all over Europe to kill Nazis in France, Holland, and Germany in 1944 and 1945. The other was with the Allied forces that beat down the Germans in North Africa in 1942 and invaded Italy in 1943 and 1944. These forces dealt the Italians serious defeats, which helped give their people the gumption to overthrow Mussolini and get themselves out of the war. The Allied troops in Italy then went on to fight the Germans in the rest of Europe. My great uncles who served in the war were both part of that. These great soldiers are all no longer in this world, though their memory will always be treasured by their descendants.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
ehhh gently caress it

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 6, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My Granddad was in England during the Blitz. A forest marshal, he would guide soldiers through the woods looking for paratroopers. Stories include diving into a small trench for cover from gunfire then being pushed out by his large dog, and a pilot bailing out into their backyard so Granddad and the dog held him captive with a pitchfork (probably not difficult, ejections like that have a goal of keeping you alive not in fighting condition) while Grandma got the constable.

My other Grandpa was in the Navy at D-Day, and the only interesting story I heard from him was when there was nearly a friendly fire incident on a foggy day, then 60 years later in a retirement home he met the gunnery officer from that ship when he wandered into Grandpa's room and was confusedly calling Grandpa an intruder. History repeats itself. Grandma (this Grandma not the other Grandma, I never got around to calling them different names) was a member of the WAVES during the war, too, so my whole family got in on the act.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

My grandpa shot Japanese instead of Nazis

and allegedly crashed a navy boat he was driving

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

An important note: Anyone Dan accidentally runs over is clearly a vocal supporter of the Vichy regime. If they were loyal French people they would have dived out of the way.

I'd like to imagine that after every fender bender with a civilian, Dan just throws a bunch of pamphlets out the car with "It's okay, I'm Killing Nazis" with a mail in coupon for a free Nazi killing.

Which of course, would make them forgive him. Especially after seeing Dan's reaction to machinegun fire is to just keep headbutting a Nazi to death.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Now for some pedantics
1. (from the first episode) All the voice actors are american. wrong! Robin Atkin Downes and Graham McTavish are from the UK. Scotland and england respectively. Also John Noble is from Australia. However interesting to note is that the player character is based of a real person who helped the French Resistance during the occupation, however he was not Irish, but actually British. So you have a British Man, voicing a Irish man, based on another British man.
2. Remake using the Death Stranding engine. Kojima actually licensed out the Decima engine he used to make Death Stranding from Gurellia Games. It was also used to make their game Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

My grandfather was shipped out to India just in time for the Japanese to surrender, so he spent most of his time doing almost nothing (except attacking an undefended beach fortress position that everyone, including the commanders knew was undefeated because when the Japanese force surrendered, they left said beach fortress).

Unfortunately, my great grandfather was a literal, card-carrying Blackshirt.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
My grandfather, like Sean, was Irish. Unlike Sean, he gave up his then triple citizenship (born in Ireland before its independence, so had British citizenship, was given Irish citizenship with their independence, and immigrated to the US and got citizenship there) in an attempt to avoid the draft. When the US joined the war, he was drafted anyway and became a telegraph operator.

Didn't kill any Nazis, but there is one good story: apparently he got caught stealing from the officer's mess (which had better food) and as punishment got sent out on a sub going behind enemy lines. Some guy on the sub had appendicitis and urgently needed surgery, but the medic on board didn't know the procedure. So my grandfather had to relay instructions from home in brief spurts whenever the sub surfaced. Surgery succeeded and the guy survived, sub finished its task and returned unharmed and undetected, and my grandfather's efforts so impressed a general that he hired my grandfather as his personal telegraph operator, and grandpa got to ride out the rest of the war in comfort and safety.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Good thread, i enjoy and support all forms of gleeful, drunken Nazi extermination.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

vilkacis posted:

Good thread, i enjoy and support all forms of gleeful, drunken Nazi extermination.

Now THAT'S a good gif.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

vilkacis posted:

:haw: That rules

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
:sickos:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

vilkacis posted:

:emptyquote:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
If we're talking relatives in WWII, my great-uncle (as in, my mom's uncle) fought in Italy after they had surrendered and the Nazis occupied it, with the Canadians (my mom's family is from Northern Ontario). Won some medals for running down the street with motors exploding behind him because he saw a glint that revealed them while they were pinned down, and for when he volunteered to deliver a message where everyone along the route was shot dead by snipers (he was also shot in the head but the helmet made it ricochet in such a way that he fell off the bike and lost conciousness and they just assumed he was dead). He got busted down to private because he kept getting drunk and slugging officers. Hell of a guy, died at age 93 a few years ago of pneumonia- he lied about his age to enlist. My paternal grandfather on the other hand was a navigator for the American navy in the Pacific Theatre: only lost men due to a bad flanking friendly fire but apparently he did steer the ship to narrowly avoid a kamikaze attack; punched out the helmsmen who was panicking. He was also slated to be among the first wave of operation Olympus, which would have been a mainland invasion of Japan that would have been done if the nukes hadn't gone off: he would have had to navigate through the minefields to get to the coast. Given that my dad was born in August 1946 this means that I have very awkward feelings about the bombing of Hiroshima (ie let's never, ever get to that point in warfare again)

e: also, a good way to not get to that point again:

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

this is art

and just chiming in that dan and grace I still follow your stuff and love it I just barely have time to post these days, but I appreciate being able to passively watch/listen while working on documentation or whatever at work

bless this mess

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

vilkacis posted:

You're a saint.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

vilkacis posted:

:discourse:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

vilkacis posted:

:perfect:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:eng101: Shooting two people with one bullet is called a Quigley! After the title character's feat in Quigley Down Under.

:eng101: Cars and trucks have gone on train track with special wheels. In fact modern railway maintenance trucks use both road and rail to get where they need to go with a bit of kit that allows the truck to lower itself on a special set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Pulling off a Quigley 10 times is necessary to unlock the game's best sniper rifle. I'm not sure if it requires a sniper rifle to do a Quigley. I do know that guard posts with two Nazis standing guard next to each other are good spots for a Quigley. I usually aim with a rifle with both guards in sight behind each other from an undetected location. Another good way to get a Quigley is when lots of Nazis jump out of the same truck.

Or you can just unlock the Perk by spending contraband. You can pay for one Gold and one Silver Perk that way. The best sniper rifle is of course a Gold.

Edit- I did remember the game only starts counting for gold perks after you get the bronze and silver perks in the same category. So we’re going to need to kill 10 Nazis with a scoped carbine before we can start working to unlock the Quigleys rifle. And it’s also not the hardest Gold Perk. Opinions vary in that, I personally had the most trouble killing 5 Nazis with one explosion to unlock whatever that gives you (I forget).

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 8, 2020