Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best host
Joel
Mike
Jonah
View Results

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I liked this show a lot as a kid and watched it with my family but it's a little too dated now. Thanks for the fond memories though mst3k!

theme song catchy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLrVoIYjBFs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mike's seasons are my favorite, but that's more due to Bill Corbett being my favorite Crow. I think all three hosts are fairly even in terms of quality, you can have a good time with any of them.

Jonah's meltdown during Mac and Me is easily in my top 5 bits.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In a strange way it warms my heart that people are still talking about Joel v. Mike nearly thirty years later. It was a very divisive topic on USENET back in 1995 or so.

Personally I would say that Mike was funnier but Joel was more likeable.

Very few of the skits ever worked for me regardless of host.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Agronox posted:

In a strange way it warms my heart that people are still talking about Joel v. Mike nearly thirty years later. It was a very divisive topic on USENET back in 1995 or so.

Personally I would say that Mike was funnier but Joel was more likeable.

Very few of the skits ever worked for me regardless of host.

Honestly the in-ship skits are mostly whatever, but the stuff with Pearl is fast forward only.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Honestly the in-ship skits are mostly whatever, but the stuff with Pearl is fast forward only.

*pats you on the head* OK, Art

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
This thread reminded me that I say "MAY-O-NNAISE!" whenever I put mayo on something because of the skit where Professor Bobo makes a Observer sandwich on accident.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

*pats you on the head* OK, Art

The very idea of somebody not appreciating When Loving Lovers Love.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://mst3k.org/2020/07/21/support-migizi/

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
MST3K was a very good show and the kind of thing you could only create in the wild west days of cable, when 2 hours of very cheap original programming was the hottest commodity in town and nobody with an MBA was trying to micromanage the schedule to maximize ad time above programming.

I like Mike's episodes more because they tend to have better - or at least, "more engaging" - movies. I also appreciated his ability to actually get angry with the movies, as opposed to Joel's passive, stony acceptance.

Skits are wildly hit-or-miss. The hits, the hits I love, but the misses...like, I had a friend who was only kind of familiar with the show watch Overdrawn at the Memory Bank once. He was totally into it, but every 20 minutes I felt like I had to HAMMER the fast forward button lest we see that Pearl's telethon stuff and enter "What the hell is this poo poo" territory (Though I do like the "Servo gets doppled into a bad Nanite neighborhood" one.)

Telebite posted:

the correct answer is always tom servo

This is correct.

Squizzle posted:

the best character is cambot

I was so stupid as a kid, I could never figure out why they announced Cambot in the credits but you never actually saw him on the show.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
To be fair it doesn't help that cambot rarely (ever?) talks and only interacts with movie a handful of times

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
For me, the skits that I remember fondly are musical focused, like the Secret Agent Super Dragon jazz riff. "Joel man, you were really out there! It took courage to do what you did baby! You took a risk, you stepped out there on the cutting edge, AND YOU FAILED MISERABLY NOW CAN WE PLEASE DO IT THE WAY I WROTE IT PLEASE!"

But perhaps the best landing of a skit in my memory, was the end of the Pod People episode, with the Where Is That Cloud In The Sky song.

-Song ends and everyone's blubblering-
"I love you Tom Servo."
"I love you too Joel."
"I love you Crow."
"You're not my real father!"
"What do you think sirs?"

"It stinks."

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccyLMlUAcEA

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

actual ranking that matters because it’s mine:

Joel and Mike with Dr. F and Frank > Mike with Pearl and co. > Joel with Dr. F and Weinstein > Netflix

note that I still like Netflix

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Bootcha posted:

-Song ends and everyone's blubblering-
"I love you Tom Servo."
"I love you too Joel."
"I love you Crow."
"You're not my real father!"
"What do you think sirs?"

"It stinks."

Pod People is the one I recommend for friends that are on the fence about MST.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I recently got the special edition of This Island Earth and the MST3K version is just hacked to bits compared to the original cut. It's actually a pretty good movie on its own!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I recently got the special edition of This Island Earth and the MST3K version is just hacked to bits compared to the original cut. It's actually a pretty good movie on its own!

Yeah This Island Earth is considered a very good movie in most circles.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

I wish I had watched MST3k as a kid and built up the attachment to and affection for it that Gen Xers have as a result of years of reruns and tape trading, because by the time I was in a position to watch it YouTube existed and it was way easier and more fun to just watch 5-10 minute clip compilations of the good parts of bad movies on their own than sit through an hour of sketches and riffing to get that same material.

Really? I'm 29 and didn't watch it as a kid because it wasn't on TV here. Instead I caught up on it on Youtube when I was a teenager, and was happy to watch whole episodes multiple times.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
there's a twitch channel that just runs old MST3K episodes 24/7 in case anyone needs a source for MST3K

https://twitch.tv/mst3k

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
For me, it's not a complete show unless I hear the intro of "In the not too distant future" and the outro of the soft musical refrain.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
My controversial take is that I actually like Jonah more than I like Joel. Joel is usually just too dry for me. Still love him though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

48 Hour Boner posted:

Pod People is the one I recommend for friends that are on the fence about MST.

Angels' Revenge, Puma Man, or Mitchell are my go to recommendations

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Davros1 posted:

Angels' Revenge, Puma Man, or Mitchell are my go to recommendations

Oh, the pyu-may-man!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hercules Against the Moon Men was the first one I saw and will always have a place in my heart.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
horrors of spider island is good and fun as an introduction and a classic

i also really enjoy ee-gah! But I don't know if that's the title.

the s-tier are obviously space mutiny and the final sacrifice, though.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
That charity seems like a good thing in a vacuum but since Joel is a massive Chud, uhhh, I'm suspicious.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

VinylonUnderground posted:

since Joel is a massive Chud

source ur quotes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i think he meant mike, although i'm not sure how "massive" a chud mike actually is

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think he meant mike, although i'm not sure how "massive" a chud mike actually is

Sorry about that, since Mike isn't involved that's less of a concern. In terms of "massive", I mean, he supported Bachmann. And anybody that pulls the lever for Team R is pretty insane anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I want to talk about a little about the best and worst episodes of MST3K. I think there's movies that MST3K vastly improves (Space Mutiny, PUMAMAN, Jack Frost) and movies that, no matter how hard anyone tries, can't be improved with commentary (Mighty Jack, The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies).

Basically a lot of the 60's material is insufferable garbage, and the best stuff has something else going for it, like Donald Pleasance doing literally anything.

Also I'm on team "I hate all the skits, please stop and get back to the movie"

pumaman is a banger.