Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
New Character!

Ibuki Suika. The Tiny Night Parade of One Hundred Demons. As OP says, she loves fighting and drinking as much as any Oni. Indeed, she'd proudly state to any who'd listen that she's never been sober for hundreds of years. Rather small compared to most Oni (or humans, for that matter), but still among the strongest. Considered something of an outcast among the forthright and honest Oni for being slightly dishonest. Not that she's ever lied, mind you. Her abilities include the ability to affect 'density'. Like most such abilities, the meaning and limits are vague, but she is able to increase her density to become a giant, or decrease it and become a horde of miniature versions of herself. She can even disperse herself into a mist.

In terms of mythological inspiration, she's based on Shuten-dōji, a terrifying leader of a band of oni that marauded around Mount Ōe in Kyoto Province (though which of two mountains with that name it was is an open question) or else around Mount Ibuki in Omi Province. Shuten-douji met his end when a group of warriors tricked their way into his confidence, chained his arms and legs to four different pillars while he slept and beheaded him. Even then, Shuten-douji's head flew towards the one who decapitated him and attempted to bite their face off, only failing because they had put on two helmets.

Suika first appeared in Touhou 7.5 (one of the fighting game spinoffs) as the final boss (though it was also possible to unlock her as a PC with her own story mode). She then made a re-appearance in the next fighting game, but has since stepped back from the spotlight and become a background character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Important canonical facts about Ibuki Suika:

She has boasted that she could, in fact, lift and throw the large mountain inside Gensokyo.The youkai who know Suika do not seem to take this boast as anything but fact.
She has also taken up residence at the Hakurei Shrine, because she thinks both it and Reimu are fun.
Nobody, including the youkai as old or older than Suika, have any memory of her ever being sober. So that's probably factual as well.

So the main protagonist of the franchise, best known for Youkai Extermination and Incident Resolution (and not, despite it being her primary job, a remotely competent shrine maiden), has one of the most powerful of them essentially bumming on her couch. As most of the games end with Reimu having tea with everyone she just beat up (or some sort of equivalent), this is par for the course for Reimu. She sort of invites it on herself.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Quackles posted:

I like the small map versions. And yeah, this is shaping up nicely! I kinda wanna play this now...

I mean, that explains what Capcom DMCAd it for. But it still doesn't explain why they decided to DMCA it (compare to "Nintendo DMCAd AM2R because they were about to release Metroid: Samus Returns").
There's speculation that they want to do a Battle Network Legacy Collection next. The DMCA action might support this!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

There's speculation that they want to do a Battle Network Legacy Collection next. The DMCA action might support this!
Now that, I'd buy in a moment. Not sure about the DMCA signalizing it, though; how did other Megaman fan games fare?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Oh boy, Nineball Electronics. My Touhou knowledge may be lacking, but even I recognize that name. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I definitely like having the full map images. It makes it easier to know how the area is meant to look.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

anilEhilated posted:

Now that, I'd buy in a moment. Not sure about the DMCA signalizing it, though; how did other Megaman fan games fare?
One got turned into an official game (Streetfighter x Rockman), and I haven't heard anything about other games like Day in the Limelight (second part up since 2012, I just checked), Unlimited, Revolution (?) - both came out 3 years ago I think - Mega Man 2.5d, and so on.

MMX Corrupted is still in development with constant updates, I think people are afraid of copyright strikes with that as well, but nothing so far. Generally, Capcom seems pretty hands-off?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

So, I want to be absolutely sure I got the last update right:
Shangai.exe is basically implied to be the leader (or is building) of a net Yakuza gang, and she is in fact Kazuma_Kiryu.exe
E: but smarter. I love my boy like everyone else but he is both built like a brick and dumb as one.

And that was the second update. :f5::five:

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

quote:

I mean, that explains what Capcom DMCAd it for. But it still doesn't explain why they decided to DMCA it (compare to "Nintendo DMCAd AM2R because they were about to release Metroid: Samus Returns").

It's probably because the dev was locking newer versions behind a paywall. Monetizing someone else's IP is a pretty quick way to get shitlisted, and unfortunately I think it's kinda valid.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Faillen Angel posted:

It's probably because the dev was locking newer versions behind a paywall. Monetizing someone else's IP is a pretty quick way to get shitlisted, and unfortunately I think it's kinda valid.
While that's kind of understandable, I'd like to point out that Capcom's supposedly pretty vigilant about taking down any reuploads of the game, and none of those are locked behind patreon

Omobono posted:

So, I want to be absolutely sure I got the last update right:
Shangai.exe is basically implied to be the leader (or is building) of a net Yakuza gang, and she is in fact Kazuma_Kiryu.exe
E: but smarter. I love my boy like everyone else but he is both built like a brick and dumb as one.

And that was the second update. :f5::five:
Yup!
Buckle up, friend.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

Shangai.exe is basically implied to be the leader (or is building) of a net Yakuza gang,

She's the Super Duper High School Outlaw Biker. :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

i am like this close to downloading this myself but I don't trust myself not to 100% it in like one night of binging.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Part 3: I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream...

Shanghai's desire for ice cream is making me want some myself, honestly.

Oh poo poo. That's not a good sound!!

: "Something must have happened in the living room! Mama's in danger!!"
: "Y-yeah!"

:ohdear:

: "Mama, what happened!?"
: "I don't know! The technician was just here a minute ago!"

I can't believe ROM was able to overpower the new antivirus program so quickly... truly, they are a terrifying force to be reckoned with.

: "I'm not kidding! Alice, jack into the fridge!"

Shanghai has her priorities in order.

Music: Cyber of Refrigerator

It's time for our first dungeon!!!! Welcome to... the FridgeComp.

: "The whole cyberworld is out of control!"
: "The floor is frozen solid! My gorgeous legs will get frostbite~!"
: "Cut it out! We have to find out what's causing this!"
: "Right! I'm worried about Mama and my ice cream!"

Threatening Mama, putting Shanghai's ice cream in jeopardy... these fiends have crossed a line.

I'm sure you'll probably be fine, don't worry about it

: "VIRUSES SUDDENLY APPEARED AND MESSED UP THE NETWORK!"
: "THE PATH IS FROZEN AND WE CAN'T GET BY!"

You know when your computer freezes and locks up? Yeah, in this universe, that's literal! Big ol' blocks of ice prevent your programs from getting where they need to go.

: "HAH... HAH... IT'S NO USE! I CAN'T BREAK IT!"
: "THE 'HEATDATA' IN THE HEAT EXHAUST SYSTEM CAN MELT IT!"
: "YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO REACH IT IF YOU TAKE A FEW DETOURS!"

The Sprites aren't really able to do anything for us except point the way. Tiny maid fists can't put a dent in these ice blocks!

Anyways, as the first Sprite said, the straightforward path through the dungeon got all clogged with ice - we need to take the long way round.

Can't go south, because that's blocked by ice.

Taking a right leads us to another RegUp 1. Still not quite enough to be useful, but hey, it's getting there!

: "ELECTRIC AND POISON ATTACKS ARE STRONG AGAINST AQUA TYPES!"

Taking a left, however, brings us to this extra-helpful sprite, who keys us in to the weaknesses of some of our upcoming enemies - electric and poison.

...Wait, what? That's not the standard elemental cycle. Maybe I should take time to stop and explain-

OH NO, CRAWFISH

HELP

Wait, no, I've got this. :coolfish:

Meet our newest enemy, the Clawnch. It is a crawfish. :eng101:

Clawnch sit still for a while, then simultaneously (assuming more than one's on the field) launch a barrage of bubbles down the row in front of them, before teleporting to another row to start the cycle over. They're pretty unthreatening by themselves, but when paired with more deadly viruses later on, the wide range of their attacks can block you in at an inopportune moment.

I'm assuming their chip does something similar, but I haven't actually personally used it myself? Much like the original games, the descriptions only tell you so much. You've gotta use 'em yourself to figure out what's what!

e: After testing, BubBlst appears to be a water-type vulcan chip!

Moving on, there's a Barrier * chip up here in this BMD. It's a pretty useful chip, honestly! Definitely something to set as your regular, if, like me, you are Bad At Dodging.

Also, the chip art is pretty snazzy!

Moving on a bit more, we run into the second new enemy in here, the Screwn. Another stationary enemy, these intermittently fire off blasts of slow moving cold air - similar to Airman's attacks in BN2, except only one row at a time. Much like Clawnch viruses, this has a tendency to box you out of an entire row. How rude!

The chip description has an interesting tidbit in it which isn't obvious from the current encounters - the wind pushes objects! If the tornado touches any stationary object on the field, it'll launch it at high speeds towards the back of the row for 200 damage.

Something the chip description fails to mention is the fact that it also pushes viruses back. It doesn't launch them at the same high velocity, but it will send them back one space. If they're already in the back row, it'll hit them three times!

Further on, we find a BMD with an HPMemory inside it, and a Sprite. Wonder what she has to say?

: "IT'S ALWAYS COLD HERE AND YOU NEVER COME!"
: "SO ON BEHALF OF ALL OF US SPRITES, I'LL CHEER YOU ON!"
: "GO! GO! GO, SHANGHAI, GO!"

Guys, I cannot stress enough how much I adore these Sprites. :allears:

Moving on, our path to Fridge Comp 2 is frozen shut, so our only option is to go down the path on the right.

: "HERE'S THE 'HEATDATA' YOU'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!"

Oh! Thank you!

: "I CAN REFILL IT IF NEEDED, BUT IT'LL TAKE SOME TIME!"
: "ANY ICE YOU MELTED WILL REFORM, SO DO YOUR BEST!"
: "ALSO, THE HEATDATA WILL DISAPPEAR IF YOU JACK OUT!"
: "IF THAT HAPPENS, TALK TO ME AND I'LL MAKE MORE HEATDATA!"

Helpful Sprite is helpful! Now we can melt some of the ice. We can't melt all of it, but we should have enough to cut a path through the worst parts.

: "YOU CAN USE SUB CHIPS TO RECOVER HEALTH!"

Helpful Sprite knows what's really important here: the Ice Cream. We must save it! We must!

(Both of the BMDs behind her are HalfEnrg subchips. As the name implies, they restore half your max health. We don't really need them right now, but it's the thought that counts.)

As we leave the Exhaust System, something makes Shanghai pause. What is it? More crawfish??

oh, oh poo poo

The fridge explodes in a massive burst of ice, and Alice is forced back. But... what happened to Shanghai? :ohdear:

Music: Emergency!

Just then, Alice's phone goes off.

: "You! You're that NineBall technician!"
: "That was just a disguise! I'm actually..."

And the culprit is revealed to be... Letty Whiterock!

In the Touhou games, Letty was a Yuki-onna (TL: snow-woman) who specialized in winter weather. Rather than blasts of ice, however, she could only manipulate cold weather that was already there, and as such, was powerless outside of winter. But in this game... really, what is a refrigerator, but artificial winter?

: "So you're the one behind all this!?"
: "Oh my! Aren't you a smart kid!"
: "That's right! I was the one behind these incidents!"

Letty gloats at Alice because why not be as evil as possible?

: "Ah! Hey! ...The call dropped."
: "Never mind that! I have to melt this ice!"
: "What can I use to melt ice...? Melt... Ice...!"

Alice wracks her brain for something that can help. For this much ice, something like a hairdryer just wouldn't cut it. No, you'd need something like...

...antifreeze?

Friends are a wonderful thing, aren't they?

: "Ouch... It was that burst of cold air."
: "But I'm okay! I have to do something about this ice!"

As we're leaving, Shinki panics because Alice didn't come out of that unscathed. But there's no time to waste - if Alice stops, the house will freeze over and Shanghai's done for!

...Unfortunately, Shinki doesn't have a Navi herself. She can't do anything in this situation but watch.

The power of friendship, it saves the day.

And that's not all - Mari gives us Marisa's NaviChip as well!

:hellyeah:

Our first NaviChip of the game, it's Marisa's Narrow Spark! She fires a piercing laser down the entire row, dealing 100 elec damage to everything in its path. Very nice.

: "I'll pray for your safety!"

Back at the house, Alice splashes some of Mari's homemade antifreeze on the ice, and whatever the hell she put in it, it's effective. Large chunks of the ice start melting away within seconds. But the real question is: is Shanghai okay?

: "You saved me, Alice? Thanks!"
: "Gladly! But we don't have much time! We have to stop the fridge!"
: "Of course! I was thinking the same thing!"

Shanghai's alright!

And more importantly, now she means business. :black101:

Onto the next!

Music: Cyber of Refrigerator

: "TRY TO AVOID AS MUCH ICE AS YOU CAN!"

Fridge Comp 2 turns out to be even colder than the first, and now ice is blocking more than just the main path, it's everywhere. Our Heatdata isn't unlimited, however. We've gotta be strategic, or we won't have enough to get through.

However, we don't just need to worry about the main path - there are goodies scattered all over the place! We only have seven charges left on our Heatdata, so we can't get everything and stop whoever's doing this.

Luckily, after you defeat the boss of a dungeon, the main hazard is removed. They were the ones causing the problem, after all! You can go back and collect anything you missed at your leisure.

: "BUT AQUA VIRUSES AND NAVIS DON'T SLIDE ON ICE!"

There's another side effect to the increased cold - now ice panels will start showing up on the field. The viruses won't be affected by them, but Shanghai won't be able to stand on them without sliding off!

Lucky for us, however, anyone on an ice panel inherits the Aqua weaknesses, or, in the case of any Aqua viruses, takes 4x damage. And Marisa's chip is electric type.

note: I may have put off changing my folder until after this update. whoopsie. I'm sure it'll be fine.

BMD with a Recov20 * which will join its fellow Recov chips in the bottom of the pack for all time

And the first iceblock is destroyed!

Another BMD with 500z, not bad.

Now we have some choices to make. Rather than cut straight through with two charges, I elect to detour off to the left, and get through with only one.

Better!

Once again, taking the side path to conserve our Heatdata uses.

It pays off nicely.

: "DO YOU HAVE ANY HEATDATA CHARGES LEFT?"

We do! (I'm pretty sure you can just cut right through if you don't care about grabbing any BMD, but I only grab the map screenshots when I'm writing the updates, so I didn't know that at the time.)

I back up a bit to grab some nearby goodies that I saw earlier. It's not really worth it.

(I missed the two BMD on the far left of the map because I didn't see them. I'll be back later to see what they are.)

Getting to the very end of the dungeon, we find a snowflake-shaped area, and the ROM Navi causing trouble!

Music: Encounter!

: "Hey you! How dare you put Mama and my ice cream in danger!"
: "Heeeeey! What about me~?"

Er, apparently, just a Sprite? They're too scrawny to be a full on Navi, surely.

Alice pouts a bit over Shanghai not declaring her under her protection, but really. Alice, you're operating Shanghai. You are the dangerous one here!

Or not! Meet Cirno, ROM's strongest (citation needed) Navi!

Cirno is a popular recurring character in the Touhou games, and one of the most memetic. She tends to proclaim herself as "The Strongest!" which is true... but only in comparison to other fairies. Compared to the rest of Gensokyo's residents, well. There's a reason she tends to end up as the first bossfight.

Cirno is also where the name "NineBall Appliances" comes from. In the manual for the 9th game, there's a picture detailing several objects on screen: the player, their health bar, their remaining spells... the final label? "⑨: Idiot" :cheeky:

: "I could believe it if you weren't so scrawny..."
: "But I gotta say, I'm ashamed that you actually managed to freeze me solid~!"

Bullying Cirno is a time-honored tradition, no matter what game she's in. Baka baka~.

: "Stay as cool and fierce as a blizzard!"
: "R-right! I'll delete you just like that!"

Letty tries to calm Cirno down, but...

: "You're short and stupid, even for a sprite..."
: "With my sleek figure, genius intellect, and competency in both culture and combat..."
: "Not to mention my stunning personality...! For you to challenge me..."
: "Are you an idiot!?"

...Shanghai is an expert at getting under peoples' skin.

She's also: incredibly smug.

Alice: incredibly exasperated.

Music: VS. Navi

Cirno, the first boss of the game! She's the strongest opponent in the game! ...So far.

She's got a couple of attacks - first, she'll coat herself in ice and charge forward down the row. Similar to the Fishy viruses from the early BN games.

Next up, we have Ice Tower - she'll send out a series of ice spikes in a straight line.

She can coat herself in a spiky ball of ice, and smash down on your side of the field, cracking whichever panel she lands on as she does.

She can throw an ice seed at you, which'll change your panel to ice.

And finally, she can summon icicles to rain down on several of your panels.

She's not so tough.

At the end of that video, I demonstrated something kinda special! Some chips in this game have command codes~.

You know why knives are more versatile than swords?

Because you can throw them!

Hold A and press ↓ → to throw knives instead of just slashing with them. Very useful, especially considering Knife chips come in * code later on.

: "I was... the strongeeeeeeeest!"

:iceburn:

: "Ouch..."
: "Oh no! Your hands are all frostbitten!"
: "I've been operating near the fridge for so long..."
: "Alice, let Mama treat your hands."

Alice was hurt earlier, and it only got worse over time.

: "Don't be embarrassed! Just accept it for once!"
: "You humans are different from us Navis. Your wounds won't heal unless you take care of them!"

Alice tries to play off how much pain she's in, but Shanghai's having none of it.

: "You just can't be honest with yourself, huh?"
: "Even I said it was okay! Stop being so stubborn!"

The screen fades out while Shinki takes care of Alice's hands.

: "Thanks, Mama!"
: "As long as you're safe, Mama doesn't mind~!"

Shinki's happy that the fridge isn't going to destroy their house... but she's even more happy that her daughter's safe. :shobon:

: "But don't be reckless!"

Yeah, it's been a pretty long day.

(Cirno's Navichip. Similar to Marisa's, but not as good.)

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 21, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BubBlast's description makes me think it's identical to Bubbler from the actual games, though multi-hitting. It'd make sense since it's a clear replacement for it.

Cirno being the first boss is unsurprising but enjoyable, because she is The Strongest. Shanghai keeps being great too.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
New characters!

Letty Whiterock. What Winter Left Behind. A yuki-onna who can manipulate and enhance the cold air around her, making a blizzard out of a light snow shower. But without low temperatures, there's not much she can do. Supposedly, she hibernates when winter ends, but has been seen in other seasons. Given that these were only background appearances in manga and fighting games that weren't made by ZUN (series creator), even if he did approve them and write the story, it's unclear if these appearances are canonical. Ironically, despite Cirno being a midboss in her stage and their association in this game, Letty in the Touhou series considers fairies to be beneath her and would not associate with them.

Letty appeared in Touhou 7 as the boss of the 1st stage and basically never again. Her name and personality are supposedly based on that of Letitia 'Letty' Blackrock of Agatha Christie's 'A Murder is Announced'.

Cirno. Fairy of the Ice. Cirno is, like all fairies, lacking in what humans would call common sense, but her unassuming exterior hides extraordinary power (by fairy standards). Cirno can indeed accurately claim to be the strongest fairy in Gensokyo. Strong enough, in fact, to have received a warning that she mustn't get any stronger, lest she turn into something other than a fairy... Cirno has the ability to manipulate coldness, being able to freeze things to the point that she can live in an igloo even in the midst of summer. The air is chill around her. She enjoys freezing frogs, and can thaw them without harm two thirds of the time. In terms of intelligence, she's an idiot by most standards. She can read, however, which is more than most of her peers, and do basic maths (including fractions and rounding up). Basic riddles are beyond her, however. Cirno is at least sixty years old, evident by her vaguely remembering the last iteration of a cyclical event that happens every sixty years. Surprisingly enough, she can get a tan.

Cirno first appeared as a stage 2 boss in Touhou 6, first became a playable character in Touhou 9 and went on to have a number of future appearances, including two fighting game spinoffs, her own game and countless background appearances in official media.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It looks like if you plan out the route just right, you can get every mystery data and reach the boss on the first go with one charge of Heat Data left over.

But I don't know if you can plan that out without a map ahead of time.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I suspect Cirno is the single most popular Touhou girl, full stop.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Now that we've gotten the Mr. Match scenario out of the way, I'm interested in seeing how the plot goes "off the rails". I've never seen this before, but I'd be very happy if it turned out the "mappings" from character to character weren't as straightforward as we first thought.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
As someone who actually played this through to the end credits I can safely say that this is somehow a better MMBN game than any of the actual MMBN games.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 19, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MechaCrash posted:

It looks like if you plan out the route just right, you can get every mystery data and reach the boss on the first go with one charge of Heat Data left over.

But I don't know if you can plan that out without a map ahead of time.

Yeah, I couldn't do it without the map, but with the map it's a pretty easy route.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Ratoslov posted:

I suspect Cirno is the single most popular Touhou girl, full stop.

Reimu and Marisa beat her out through the shear power of being the main characters in the last 21 games (23 in Reimu's case) but it's close.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I don't know where we can go from here, Cirno is the strongest there is. She's just too dang strong for anyone else to succeed her as a boss!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I believe that part of the joke of Cirno's idiocy is that, in her first appearance, she had an attack that formed a pattern of bullets that was comically worthless- it went off to the sides, letting players just stand idle in the middle of the screen and wail on her.

edit: here it is.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

And to make it even better it was called Perfect Freeze

Edit: it was actually Icicle Fall. Perfect Freeze was a different card :saddowns:

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 19, 2020

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Ah, Cirno, performing your traditional role with gusto. :allears:

Touhou Soccer (yet another fan game series) has a great example of how much respect Cirno is generally given, both canonically and otherwise. She really is that much of an idiot.

ZUN has, in an interview or one of the many lore supplementals (I can't remember where) stated that yes, Cirno can in fact be defeated by asking her a basic riddle and walking away. Like, popsicle-stick level riddles.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

Ah, Cirno, performing your traditional role with gusto. :allears:

Touhou Soccer (yet another fan game series) has a great example of how much respect Cirno is generally given, both canonically and otherwise. She really is that much of an idiot.

ZUN has, in an interview or one of the many lore supplementals (I can't remember where) stated that yes, Cirno can in fact be defeated by asking her a basic riddle and walking away. Like, popsicle-stick level riddles.
so what you're saying is that Cirno's natural enemy is Quiz Kid, got it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

Our first NaviChip of the game, it's Marisa's Narrow Spark!

This implies that we are eventually going to come into possession of Marisa's Master Spark, and I am here for it. :allears:

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
One of the school's networks has Clawnch2s as a rare enemy, and a BubbleBlast folder carried me throughout the entire game, no joke. B Code is really good early on.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Faillen Angel posted:

One of the school's networks has Clawnch2s as a rare enemy, and a BubbleBlast folder carried me throughout the entire game, no joke. B Code is really good early on.
oi, oi, quit spoilin' the next update :argh:

(I kid, I kid. feel free to mention anything you notice that I miss! I found a Regup1 and an HPMem I missed last playthrough when screencapping flavortext, so I'm bound to miss some stuff.)

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

God, I love Cirno. Such an absolute dork. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Quackles posted:

This implies that we are eventually going to come into possession of Marisa's Master Spark, and I am here for it. :allears:

Seeing how the chip is Narrow Spark, it stands to reason that Master Spark is a Program Advance using it. I can't wait to see if I'm entirely wrong here.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So, I know the basics of MMBN (I've played a couple of the games before but never beaten one), but I'm not exactly clear on how all these chips work. Like, the Barrier; I have to assume that most attacks will break it but won't penetrate it, otherwise a 1 HP barrier just doesn't seem that useful?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Commander Keene posted:

So, I know the basics of MMBN (I've played a couple of the games before but never beaten one), but I'm not exactly clear on how all these chips work. Like, the Barrier; I have to assume that most attacks will break it but won't penetrate it, otherwise a 1 HP barrier just doesn't seem that useful?

That's correct. It gives you one free hit, then disappears, no matter what that hit is. If this follows BN logic in Barriers, then we'll get higher-level barriers that can take a certain amount of punishment before disappearing, as well as Auras that must take their HP value at once to vanish.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shangai is a total shithead and I love her.

Quackles posted:

Master schmaster.
There better be a Marisa Yuuka Mima Quadruple Spark.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Battle Network and Touhou come together as one!? Why am I only just now learning about this!?

Going back to the first update, of course Aya gets to be Mr. Famous. That gossip hound wouldn't settle for anything else :allears:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Balache404 posted:

Battle Network and Touhou come together as one!? Why am I only just now learning about this!?

Going back to the first update, of course Aya gets to be Mr. Famous. That gossip hound wouldn't settle for anything else :allears:

MythosDragon posted:

I can't believe I'm not being trolled about a Touhouman game.
see, it's reactions like this that prompted me to start this LP
more people need to know about it, darnit!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Part 4: The Rich Adventurer

That night...

Music: Theme of ROM

: "The blonde Navi in the last house was stronger than expected..."

It would seem that Letty's not doing too hot, huh?

: "You found enough, so I'm willing to overlook it this time."
: "However... make sure you don't lose next time."

: "I'm counting on it. Dismissed."
: "Understood!"

Letty cuts the connection, grateful that her boss isn't going to punish her for losing to Shanghai.

: "Mm, you wouldn't need as many of them if you'd just go after higher-quality programs."

And here's why Letty was specifically targetting refrigerators: In contrast to Mr. Match's search for the Fire Program back in BN1, Letty was going for a quantity over quality approach.

: "The Air Program..."
: "A program from that one place would be quite pure..."
: "But security is pretty tight over there."

: "ROM's autonomous Navi, Medicine..."
: "Be careful... You might run into the Navi that beat Cirno..."

Medicine, huh?

I'll leave her introduction for when we meet her for real. Cutscenes appearances don't really count, IMO.

: "I won't lose."
: "Now then, I'm off!"

: "Hmph... She's just a doll."
: "If she fails, just get rid of her and send another..."

Apparently ROM's boss only had enough mercy for one underling today.

: "If we could acquire those Programs, we'd be in the clear..."

And the audio cuts out.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled non-ominous update!

Music: Genso Middle School

: "Wow! You did great! You did!"
: "Hey! I did most of the work!"
: "Wait a sec! Don't forget about me!"
: "But I was the one who actually fought the ROM Navi!"

It was a team effort, Shanghai. You wouldn't have been able to fight the ROM Navi if Mari hadn't made extra-super-strength, possibly-illegal antifreeze!

...By the way, I hope someone cleaned the fridge afterwards. You probably don't want Mari's concoction anywhere near food you plan to eat.

T'would appear someone overheard Shanghai's boasting.

Like any responsible adult, Ms. Asakura is very interested when her students mention fighting terrorists.

: "Alice Shinki, was it? Did you fight against a ROM Navi?"
: "That's right! And I gave 'em a good beating too!"
: "Should we be worried about something?"

Yeah, why should she be worried? I mean, it's not like she made herself the target of an infamous crime syndicate or anyth...-

oh, wait. wellp.

: "Would it be alright for me to examine you?"

And here's another problem: ROM is a group of hackers. There's a chance they infected Shanghai with malware during the fight.

...Granted, she was fighting Cirno, but it's still probably a good idea to get that checked out!

: "But she's willing to do us a favor. We should be grateful."
: "Fufu... I understand. I can't do it here, so come to the PC Room."
: "Okay, I'll stop by later."
: "Well then, I'll go ahead and get everything ready in the PC Room."

: "Former scholar?"
: "Hm? Alice, don't you know?"
: "Before becoming a teacher, Ms. Asakura was a scholar overseas.

:aaaaa:

...Wait, why are they surprised? Researcher > Teacher isn't that big of a career change, right?

Maybe it's because they're kids, and as such, the idea of a teacher existing outside of school is incredibly shocking.

: "We hear rumors like that all the time on the net."
: "So I was the only one who didn't know..."
: "But now that you know, you aren't left out anymore! You aren't!"
: "Hahaha! Rika's as positive as always!"

Hmmm... so, was she a scholar, or wasn't she?

:iiam:

: "Yeah. Alright, I'm off!"
: "Let's just get this over with~!"

Right, right, making her wait would be rude, and irresponsible, and -

: (As expected, it doesn't have any technology built-in.)

ahahaha yeah right

: (I guess I left it here for so long that I forgot about it.)

Aha! See, procrastinating does pay off. Wonder what else I can find?

: (There are famous fantasy stories and study manga available in Japanese.)
: (There's also an intense war manga here, for some reason.)
: (It might traumatize young minds that read it.)

Score!

Fun fact: completely missed both of these when I was replaying this last time. Turns out mashing A on everything to screencap any interesting flavor text is helpful!! Remember: you need to press A on everything.

: (We use electronic chalk so it doesn't get dirty. I'm glad it's easy to clean.)
: (We can also jack in to show projects we made on our computers.)
: (However, the port is locked to prevent student mischief.)

How does electronic chalk work exactly? Is it like a Smart Board, or...?

Also, drat, no mischief allowed (right now?). I'll be back for you later!!

Hmph. Spoilsports.

Maybe just a little bit more procrastination.

: "I HATE WAITING AROUND, BUT I HATE HAVING TO WORK TOO!"

This Sprite, she gets me.

BMD down here with 700z, and up north there's a PMD that I can't unlock yet because I'm still strapped for cash.

Hey, there's a SubChip vendor in here! He doesn't sell any CrakTools (not that I could afford them), but he does sell a new type of SubChip - OpenPort. It's the opposite of Firewall/Sneakrun, in case you really want virus encounters.

But the encounter rate in this game is already pretty high, so I can't see much need for it? Maybe if you're using it in tandem with whatever the equivalent of LocEnemy is, I guess.

: "PSHHHHH! PUMP PUMP PUMP!"
: "I DON'T WANT TO MAKE A CARELESS MISTAKE!"
: "EVEN MESSING UP THE TEXT WOULD BE EMBARRASSING!"

I've re-read this line so many times looking for an intentional typo, but I've got nothing.

While running around in here I found MORE CRAWFISH.

Unfortunately I didn't find very many because it's a rare encounter, but I'm sure I'll get more later. After experimenting with it, BublBlst is a pretty good chip!

I didn't find anything else though so I guess we should probably go talk to Ms. Asakura

: (I've never seen this room used since I started school here.)

Whoopsie, wrong door.

I was extremely tempted to replace the mugshot here with her annoyed-looking blink animation, not gonna lie

: "Here you go, Ms. Asakura."
: "......"
: "A high-capacity Navi, huh...?"
: "It's weird. Shanghai is larger than most other Navis combined."

Look, Alice, it takes a lot of space to program in Sass_Mode.bat

: "Fufu... Clearly she's a special Navi."

Case in point.

: "......There. Done."
: "Here's your PET."
: "It doesn't look liek there are any anomalies. That's a relief."

Shanghai's fine~! :toot:

: "Oh, that! Someone buried it in Genso Area. It looks like some kind of treasure data."
: "Unfortunately, we can't figure out how to decompress it."
: "Some strange thugs were looking for it, so it's probably valuable."

Shanghai, you have no room to talk about strange thugs.

Also it's very funny to me that she took it essentially because it was shiny. It's treasure, obviously it should belong to her, she could sell it!!

: "Morichika...? Where have I heard that name before...?"
: "Mari! It's Mari's last name!"

Wait, what? :confused:

Part 1 posted:

Marisa Kirisame, or "Mari" in this game. She's one of the series' main protagonists, and therefore, has one of the biggest hats. I'm only mostly joking. Nearly everyone wears a hat of some kind or another in those games. She's not wearing a hat here though, I wonder why?

How dare you make a mockery of my introductions, game. :colbert:

Oh wait, right, we're in alternate universe territory. Character backstories don't always match up one for one, even stuff that isn't firmly in magic territory!

: "-Internet. I wonder if he can also analyze you data for you?"
: "A professor? What's that?"
: "Basically, it's someone who teaches classes at a university."
: "You're only in middle school, so it makes sense that you wouldn't know."
: "Then why do I feel like an idiot...?"

: "We can go right now if you want."
: "Would it bother him if we went right now?"
: "Let's just leave that up to Mari. She'll come up with something."

Shanghai is excited, and therefore, she will see Morichika. His opinion on the matter is irrelevant.

Alice: still, begrudgingly, the responsible one.

: "If anything is bothering you, don't be afraid to ask for help."

Back in class 2-2:

: "All systems green! What did you expect?"
: "Oh yeah, Mari! I have something to ask you."
: " Dr. Morichika at Genso University is your dad, right?"
: "Yep! Why? What's up?

hey Mari quick question how do you feel about treasure

: "Huh? That's all?"
: "I'll ask him real quick, but it shouldn't be a problem."
: "Marisa is modeled after mom, after all. But she's over in Eurica, so..."

Hey remember how I said Marisa was split into two characters because she was too cool to only be one?

Technically, she's three. :eng101:

No, we never actually see Mari's mom.

: "But I can't wait to meet him! Let's get going to the University!"
: "If you're going to the University, you should take the metro!"
: "You can ride for free with a student pass! You can!"
: "A student renewing their metro pass gets that pass free for a year."

Wait, sorry, I'm an american, you lost me at "public transportation exists," what's all this then

: "It's alright. They can issue them over the net nowadays."
: "Yeah! In the Campus Square in City Area 1!"
: "They'll issue you one on the spot!"

We have our next destination.

: "Sounds good! I'll get a pass and be right back!"
: "Okay! When you're done, I'll be waitin' for ya at the metro station."
: "Sounds like fun, so I'll tag along! I will!"
: "Great! I'll let dad know a few friends are comin' by."

Off we go!

Music: Genso Town

Upon leaving school...

A loving tank rolls up to the front gates :psyduck:

Alice it might help if you opened your eyes, just a thought

: "If ya got a strong Navi, mind doin' some virus bustin' for me?
: "Sure thing, if there's a reward!"
: "Hey! You shouldn't ask for rewards!"
: "If she wants to give us a reward, who are we as NetBattlers to stop her?"

Shanghai, you loveable jackass. :allears:

: "Okay!"
: "Umm... Where's the jack in port...?"
: "Ah, there it is! You're up, Shanghai!"

One of these days, someone in this universe is gonna come up with the idea of a "manual override," and they're either gonna become the richest person on the planet, or forcibly committed. But until then, we've got a job to do!

...it's just RayCanns.

Granted, one of them's an EX version - stronger than 3rd tier, with possible rewards from each of the previous versions - but still, it's RayCanns.

Also, eeeeeey I customized my folder a bit! I love it when I can draw a full hand.

Alice takes care of the virus problem, and out steps...?

hey, waitaminute, they look kinda familiar, hmmm

: "Thanks for savin' me, blondie!"
: "You're welcome!"
: "So what's a tank doing in the middle of a small Japanese town?"

Yeah, thats a good question!

Where do you even GET a tank??

: "Oh yeah, I forgot to introduce myself!"

No, but really, I'm pretty sure you need, like, a permit or something to have one of those?

: "Koa, huh? Isn't that...?"

Kumami Koa! We've actually met someone else based on the game character-

Well, speak of the (little) devil.

: "Hm? That voice..."
: "S-Sister!?"

If you couldn't tell, Kumami is also based on Koakuma. Who, strictly speaking, wasn't actually a character, just a nameless midboss that the fandom is nonetheless fond of.

: "When did you come back to Japan? I was really worried about you."

: "Get what?"
: "I asked a servant a while ago to look into a person named Kumami."
: "She's called the 'rich adventurer'. Sounds like she's kinda famous."
: "She's been winning a bunch of prize money in Arabstan recently."
: "Hm..."

While the two sisters catch up, Shanghai decides to fill Alice in on who the strange lady with the tank is

: "Oh yeah! Blondie! About your reward..."
: "I'll get bored if I just sit around doin' nothin', so I think I'll open some kinda store."

A store? I like stores.

: "Really!? Are you sure!?"
: "It's my thanks for earlier. Just tell me whatever ya want!"

...That seems like an incredibly irresponsible business decision

What kind of store do you think we should pick?? vote now in the thread!

Oh, wait, no, Shanghai called dibs.

: "Okay then, Alice. What kind of shop would you like?"
: "...A hobby shop."

If you recall, one of Alice's hobbies is building plastic models.

: "And the closest chip shop is all the way in Central City!"

I'm with Shanghai here. More battlechips, please!

: "Hahaha! You two are pretty close!"
: "You got it! I'll get started right away on openin' a chip shop!"
: "See ya, Kumako! I'll treat ya to dinner next time!"

Again, this seems incredibly irresponsible, but also, more chips is better than less chips, so.

Kumami gets in her tank and drives off.

: "So Kumami is your big sister?"
: "That's right. She's four years older than me."
: "She used to work for a large bank, but she was fired for embezzeling money."
: "Then she turned a big profit trading stocks and used some of that money to see the world."

Ms. Koa your sister seems incredibly ridiculous

also the fact that she had the seed capital necessary to buy a large amount of stocks, and the fact she's not in jail, leads me to believe that she somehow only got fired, which is kind of hilarious actually

: "She's not a good sister."
: "Well, I hope living here will calm her down."
: "By the way, Alice, it looked like you were on your way home."
: "Oh yeah! I have to get a student metro pass!"
: "See you later, Ms. Koa!"
: "Be safe!"

Well, that certainly was... a thing.

TL - : Alice please don't use my sister as a role model for anything, ever

:aaaaa:

Oh man, I cannot wait for whatever it is these kids are talking about!!

: "Since there's no weather underground, delays are pretty rare."

: "Thanks to the metro, it's easy to get to campus from my parents' house."

: "I'm waiting for my friends, but they're not here yet!"

I can't help but feel like these NPCs are trying to hint at what I'm supposed to be doing right now... hmm, nah, probably not.

: "I wanted to be rich enough to live in a mansion like this..."

Yeah, Remilia is kind of obscenely wealthy, huh?

: "I'm glad you're studying hard, but try your best not to bother anyone!"

...yep, definitely going to university to try and learn stuff, not because of a treasure hunt!

Music: Internet

: "It'll be easy to go to another Square once you link to it."
: "Links cost money though, so please get one only when you can afford it."

Oh, sweet! Upgrades on the homepage are done. Link Gates will be useful in the future, but let's see what else we got right now.

: "INTERIORS THAT SHE BUYS CAN BE PUT IN HERE!"
: "PRESS THE L BUTTON IN THIS ROOM TO OPEN THE INTERIORS MENU!"
: "WHILE PLACING INTERIORS, HOLD R TO MOVE IT ALONG THE SQUARES!"
: "INTERIORS CAN BE PLACED FREELY AND CAN OVERLAP!"
: "BY THE WAY, IT'S OKAY TO BLOCK THE EXIT!"
: "YOU CAN DO A LOT WITH THE L BUTTON, LIKE JACK OUT OR PLACE INTERIORS!"

Hmmmm... nifty. I don't have any interiors right now, but I'm sure they won't be too hard to come by!

Let's see what else is here...

: "I CAN APPLY THIS WALLPAPER TO YOUR HOMEPAGE!"
: "THIS WALLPAPER COSTS 0 ZENNY!"
: "WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY IT?"
(>No)
: "I HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN SOON!"

This is something else kinda interesting. The home page can be customized with various backgrounds! I'll show the Sprites off when I find 'em. There's a lot of 'em, surprisingly!

Moving into the topmost portal drops us in the "Spare Room"

What's the Spare Room for, you ask?

: "But I honestly don't know what we're gonna use it for..."

Well, nothing, right now. Mostly it's just where our goons hang out. I'm sure we'll figure out some kinda use for it in the future!

: "If that's true, then that sounds pretty fun!"

In my head, this is the Goon Storage room.

Also, there's another Sprite with another free wallpaper. Pass.

Anyways! With the Link Gate up and running, we should probably pay a visit to Genso Square, huh? It's not like we'd be going out of our way or anything, City Area's connected to Genso Area 2.

Hm?

: "Sis... Be Careful out there..."

Haha, what, Navis don't have ghosts. Quit tryin' to scare me, kiddo!

: "Sounds like a scary ghost story, huh?"

Okay, okay, guys, you got me. Very funny.

...That being said.

Just gonna buy one more of these, no reason!

: "Things such as sightings of ghost-like Navis that suddenly attack passerby."

Alright guys seriously, I'm getting, like, a chill down my spine, cut it out-

AAAAAA A GHOST- oh wait, no, it's just Cirno. Phew.

Boss Battle: Cirno V2

the audio might be a little lower than last time, that's my bad. I'd have fixed it in post but I'm bad at video editing. Just turn your speakers up it's fine.

Alternatively, you could listen to Cirno's original theme.

For those of you who didn't watch the video, I also showed off the RayGun PA.

It's pretty sweet, IMO.

250 damage, and it fires in a 2x3 area (plus one more space in the middle)

Well, that's that taken care of. I think we can safely declare this area ghost free-

oh god dammit

this was literally the very next battle. V3 Navis no longer wait until after you jack out!

(Knife, Sword, Lance - 2x3, 350dmg. It's just lifesword.)

:black101:

(V3 will have a proper video when I'm strong enough to S-rank her.)

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 21, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mari and Marisa are going to be the game's Lan and Hub (minus being the protagonists).
I base this prediction on nothing but the fact that Rinnosuke is evidently either this game's Yuichiro or this game's Beardman, and he has no beard.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kumako is in the top 1% of all anime teachers now solely for showing any concern about their students getting into a fist-fight with international internet criminals. Kumami is, on the other hand, a definite bad influence on our Alice and also a embezzling inside-trading lunatic who is probably also like eight other kinds of criminal too. 'Hey, little girl, why don't you pick what my front company is going to be?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
No new characters this time, since I'm going with the OP and saving that for when they get a proper introduction (especially after I jumped the gun with Rinnosuke...).

That being said, we'll hopefully get that next time, and if not I still have a short blurb planned to explain Marisa and Rinnosuke's relationship in Touhou in more detail.