Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

DoubleNegative posted:

The maze in particular is a pretty big momentum killer. It's telling that it took me 7 minutes to get to the maze and then that long again just to clear it, and it wasn't even that maze-like. The underwater section of the level was more just the same enemies over and over in much the same formations. So it didn't really offer additional challenge. Like I said in the video, I think the hack is at its best when you've got some tricky platforming and lots of room in which to do it.

As part of a Doom level, the underwater section would have been alright, but the maze would still be pretty indefensible. I have capital-O opinions about mazes in classic first person shooters, but those can wait for my inevitable Wolfenstein 3D LP. When taken as part of a platformer, the action in both sections really slows down the pace a lot. Doomguy is insanely mobile in this hack, and it's a shame when the levels don't let you really take advantage of that.
That's a good explanation, thank you!

Looking forward to more :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Carpator Diei posted:

I'm very much looking forward to that one :) Especially if you'll be looking at it from a level-design perspective as well; I've played some Wolf3D mods a long time ago*, but never really got a handle on level-design qualities in that engine (aside from "mazes bad").

I played through all 123 levels of the Steam release of Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny about a month ago. And just noticing the level design trends as I was playing is what first got me thinking about shooter map design. I'm not a map maker, though, so this is all coming purely from a lay perspective.

But yeah, I might see about starting up the Wolf3D stuff sooner rather than later. Though unlike this game, it will be map up almost constantly. That game loving loves its mazes.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

But yeah, I might see about starting up the Wolf3D stuff sooner rather than later. Though unlike this game, it will be map up almost constantly. That game loving loves its mazes.

:razz:
But yeah, it's certainly a game that would've very much needed an automap.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Melaneus posted:

Ah ha ha, you actually pointed out that they're Snifits, not Shyguys. I was just going to hassle you on that one.

Oh wait, you're still calling them the wrong name, how racially insensitive. Guess this LP's more Whiffit than Snifit.

To be clear, snifits are a subset of shyguys. Insisting on calling them "shyguys" is somewhat like insisting on calling someone from Norway a European.

:goonsay:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

1-B - Calescent Castle
Boss #1 Uncut Footage

This is a two-for-one video! First up is part of the game's first ghost house, and then it's followed up by the castle level. Friday will start world 2! :toot:

The second video is 10 minutes of failure. In case you want to watch that for some reason. :shrug:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Personally I greatly disliked the skull spider collecting, because of the enforced backtracking and also because outside of the first skull spider level the remainder I remember as being absolute dogshit mazes. Like... I don't fundamentally mind a maze or a navigation challenge, but when it's all teleport triggers/doors between unconnected rooms then it rapidly becomes an extremely unfun experience. I also generally dislike anything being hidden behind 100%-gathering(except cosmetics like achievements), cap the requirements at 90% or something so there's space for the player to miss a couple.

With regards to bosses, Afrit I actually remember as being the only one I didn't outright hate. He seemed to have less bullshit options and instakill up his sleeve than the rest. It may have helped that I constantly kept my armor topped up at the shop, I also found the shop useful for the rarer ammo types, since there are some weapons that it's a huge benefit to be able to come into every level with full ammo for. I also had the golden pistol as my go-to long range sniper weapon more so than the assault rifle which I tended to use for close range pain-stun purposes.

The placement of the energy pistol also feels odd, like, the low-powered-but-infinite-ammo weapon feels like it should be the first gun you have, so you can't softlock yourself by having no bullets with which to shoot mans.

Also, Double, did you ever play the first Golden Souls wad? Because your opinion on it would be interesting. Generally I felt like the first wad had much better level design except for a couple of incredibly bullshit optional challenge levels.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Also, Double, did you ever play the first Golden Souls wad? Because your opinion on it would be interesting. Generally I felt like the first wad had much better level design except for a couple of incredibly bullshit optional challenge levels.

I tried playing it last week. That secret level with all the rocket launchers is very :staredog:. Also the cacodemons that shoot homing shots are not a good enemy. And I genuinely couldn't tell if you could drown or if all my health suddenly started disappearing because of a crab. Going in order I stopped before level 4, but I might pick it back up sometime to finish it. What I played was pretty neat but it was also very rough.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

DoubleNegative posted:

I tried playing it last week. That secret level with all the rocket launchers is very :staredog:. Also the cacodemons that shoot homing shots are not a good enemy. And I genuinely couldn't tell if you could drown or if all my health suddenly started disappearing because of a crab. Going in order I stopped before level 4, but I might pick it back up sometime to finish it. What I played was pretty neat but it was also very rough.

I have to admit I never quite figured out the drowning thing either. I think there's drowning, but also lol gently caress those crabs.

GS1 had, yeah, a level or two where I just went "hmmmm no." and noclipped my way through it because the need for ALL THE COINS means you can't bypass levels you think are dogshit(and GS2 has kind of the same problem with not letting you skip any levels). But for GS2 I tossed on the noclip to bypass bad platforming for a much greater percentage of levels, because the levels I loved, I really loved, but having to slog through the rest to get to them was a misery.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The spookiest part of that ghost house was the treasure chests that turn to face you regardless of how you approach them because they're static sprites.

Also, bosses that deal damage every frame are bullshit.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That boss is way too bullshit for a first boss.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Good lord, check out those buff mummies!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

2-1 - The Land With No Name

Today we enter the Desert world with a very good level where the only gripes I have are extremely minor. It's very fun with a couple memorable setpieces. What more could you ask for?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I was wondering if this mod had the same restriction as base Doom of it being impossible to have multiple floor spaces on top of one another. Remembered to look out for it while watching this latest video, and it turns out that it does not. Multi-level map design does appear.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Any reason why you collect every coin you see when you have maxed out coins and HP?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Any reason why you collect every coin you see when you have maxed out coins and HP?

Score number go up?

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Does the trumpet play a tune if you fire with the right timing, or is it just random notes every time you fire?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Coins give 1 health when he's at max coins.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Coins good, must collect coins! Collecting every coin I can is a compulsion that no amount of maxed out HP will break.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Montegoraon posted:

I was wondering if this mod had the same restriction as base Doom of it being impossible to have multiple floor spaces on top of one another. Remembered to look out for it while watching this latest video, and it turns out that it does not. Multi-level map design does appear.

This is actually a feature of GZDoom along with jumping, swimming, sloped surfaces, floating platforms, and horizontal moving sectors (like those push-blocks). At this point, GZDoom and the Build engine are pretty much equivalent in features, though I don't think this mod has overhead sprites.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah the Trumpetbus is... not one of my favourite weapons in the wad. The "wobbling" projectile means it's not great for long range or precision shots. The low radial damage means it's not good for clearing crowds(though GS2 doesn't really do big swarms, sometimes it'd be nice) and the blast radius feels both smaller and weaker than a Doom rocket launcher shot. So I never really felt like it had a niche except when I was low on ammo for everything else.

Also agreed on the latest level being one of the better ones. It has platforming, but it seems to realize that Doomguy needs more than a postage stamp to land on, given the physics.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I like what I've seen so far, but I feel like they could have iterated on the gameplay more. The fact that the player has no real incentive to spend any of the coins they get ultimately render that part of the gameplay pointless. What they could have done instead was remove most of the health hearts and always have the coins heal you and ballance the game around that.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Does the trumpet play any particular song when you fire it?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Beartaco posted:

Does the trumpet play any particular song when you fire it?

Wa11y posted:

Does the trumpet play a tune if you fire with the right timing, or is it just random notes every time you fire?

Nope, it's just random notes as far as I can tell!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Okay, the Trumpetbus is a beautiful weapon, and I love it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

2-2 - Arid Abode

I can't overstate just how much I hate the fire ghost enemies. And I'm going to state it a lot in this video.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It did feel like that fire dealt damage way too fast. But well, you managed to get through without getting hit that much anyways.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think Arid Abode is the only ghost house level I didn't have any issues with, because you can clear it all in one run and most of the doors are actual doors, rather than every second door being a teleporter.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

2-3 - Silhouette Sunset

I really do not like this level, but to avoid 20 minutes of complaining, I try to offer constructive criticisms and even try to find some good in the level!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, I'm definitely not a fan of that. My vision is pretty bad even by itself and that didn't help. Pretty, sure, but it looks terrible to play.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DoubleNegative posted:

2-3 - Silhouette Sunset

I really do not like this level, but to avoid 20 minutes of complaining, I try to offer constructive criticisms and even try to find some good in the level!

Man, that did not look fun to play at all, but drat if the chill music and silhouettes didn't make it aesthetically pleasing for someone who didn't need to run around shooting stuff. A lot of cool factor there to make up for the fact that it looks like a flop playing it wise.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's weird, I have literally zero memories of this level. That's how little of an impression on me.

I've also had a thought that the platforming might suck a lot less if Doomguy cast a shadow. In a first-person game, your shadow is really your only indicator of your exact position when looking down.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

PurpleXVI posted:

It's weird, I have literally zero memories of this level. That's how little of an impression on me.

I've also had a thought that the platforming might suck a lot less if Doomguy cast a shadow. In a first-person game, your shadow is really your only indicator of your exact position when looking down.

Shadows were added to the graphics options, so he might be able to turn them on. I found this

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

2-4 - Lilac Landscape

Another fairly decent desert level!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

To be fair to the Trumpet, in regular Doom 2 a good Super Shotgun blast will deal similar damage to a direct hit from the Rocket Launcher.

Now for sake of honesty I'll freely point out the Rocket Launcher has a higher upper bound for damage, and moreover I have no idea if the Trumpet and Hunting Shotgun have modified damage values from their source weapons or if there's some wizardry going on with the blast damage, but comparing a direct hit of the Rocket equivalent to the Super Shotgun equivalent and considering that a negative seems odd to me.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

For that particular hit, the trumpet damage rolled low. Real low. And I've gone on at length about the lovely radial damage it deals, so while it was a direct hit, it was also a direct hit that the pokey basically didn't feel! It's the same reason why rockets are actually one of the worst weapons to use against a Cyberdemon or Spiderdemon in Doom. They don't take splash damage from explosions, so all you get is whatever the up-front damage is.

A lot of the reason rockets are so good is because in addition to the explosive damage, the splash damage will double dip on whatever gets hit by the projectile. So a well-aimed rocket can mulch most regular enemies, but against boss monsters you don't get that effect.

I'm also not sure what the shotgun's damage range is, but it was actually out-performing the trumpet against the pokeys a moment later.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm very aware, that's why I specifically talk about direct rocket hits because that deals both damage. If the Rocket Launcher didn't double up direct and splash damage it would deal significantly less damage than the Super Shotgun (which, as you point out, is why you don't want to use the Rocket Launcher on bosses).

If the Trumpet does have really borked splash damage then okay, but in the chassis this game was broadly made in the Rocket Launcher and Super Shotgun will deal comparable damage under ideal circumstances.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I don't care if the trumpet is bad mechanically, it's the best weapon in this hack so far.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Hmm. So, levels in this mod are able to have multiple floor levels stacked on each other, but it still looks like enemies are taller than they appear, like in base Doom? The Imp that got killed by a pistol aimed over its head at around 1:50 in this last video suggests that. Or was that auto-aim at work?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I was a big fan of the outdoor and combat/platforming sections of this level, but I wasn't a big fan of the spike parts. Generally the levels they appear in, I felt like they were poorly used. But take that with a grain of salt since I am generally disparaging of instakill traps/floors/pits in game design.

Also a thing I'd complain about is that the broken sightlines means that several times making jumps on to spikes, you don't in advance know where you need to jump to next. Considering the timing element, that feels poorly designed to me.

My issue with the fire spirits is the lack of a clear "body." It's very hard to gauge where the actual hitbox is. Now, it's relatively forgiving, as I remember it, but having it be unclear at all is again one of the things I don't like from a design perspective.

For the ghost wizards my mainstay weapon early on was the assault rifle, since they're still possible to damage, not outright invulnerable, when phased out. It meant I could often "one cycle" them if I kept the fire on from the first time they appeared, rather than giving them multiple chances to shoot back. The shotgun also works, but tends to give them more chances to get shots off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Montegoraon posted:

Hmm. So, levels in this mod are able to have multiple floor levels stacked on each other, but it still looks like enemies are taller than they appear, like in base Doom? The Imp that got killed by a pistol aimed over its head at around 1:50 in this last video suggests that. Or was that auto-aim at work?

According to this site, original Doom had an auto-aim feature to compensate the lack of vertical camera. In the last video he did mention that he have auto-aim enabled too I think.

https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Free_look posted:

Unlike Heretic, Hexen, Strife and many modern first-person shooters to date, Doom and Doom II only featured the ability to look around horizontally, or side to side. Free look in FPS games stands for the ability to move the player's view both horizontally and vertically to see not only around the player, but also above and below. Doom originally had an auto-aim feature that directed the player's shots at shootable targets that were above, below, or straight ahead in the player's field of view. When using free look, auto-aim is not needed to shoot at targets that are above or below the player's direct aim, because the player can move the view up and down as needed and pinpoint the target's height manually.