Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This might actually be a uniquely American solution to all the problems. Infrastructure failing? No money or political desire to do anything about it? March the penal batallions at it! Orange New Deal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

This poo poo is so god drat creepy here in sf. It feels like its still night.

naem
May 29, 2011

yeah it’s pitch black outside, what sky you can see is orange

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The capital of Oregon looks like a Doom WAD currently:

Thanks, I Hate It

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Fires suck. How badly underfunded and under prepared are your fireys? I remember reading you use prison labour?

Yes, but because they are felons they are prohibited from becoming firefighters after they get out of prison. That's to stop the slave labor prison firefighter system from taking all the firefighter jobs

Uh, also there's no covid care in prisons so the penal battalions are impaired by the pandemic

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vim Fuego posted:

Thanks, I Hate It

It looks like some poorly rendered, early CGI from a 90's movie. Like without context you could have told me "this picture is from the Mortal Kombat movie when they go to Outworld at the end" and I might believe it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vim Fuego posted:

Yes, but because they are felons they are prohibited from becoming firefighters after they get out of prison. That's to stop the slave labor prison firefighter system from taking all the firefighter jobs

Uh, also there's no covid care in prisons so the penal battalions are impaired by the pandemic

We have to keep the practice of drafting criminals to fight fires. When criminal firefighting is outlawed, only criminal criminals will fight fires.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can someone plz explain the concept of nuclear winter to me? You always hear about that poo poo but it’s like, when they do all those tests that poo poo doesn’t make a bunch of soot (mainly because they aren’t burning wood). Like, this poo poo just made me think of this. Like people wouldn’t drop nukes in a forest or whatever right? Like what if the thing hits a tree branch and falls on its side?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Like what if the thing hits a tree branch and falls on its side?

A sideways mushroom cloud, duh.

naem
May 29, 2011

we don’t do nuclear tests anymore do we

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chomp8645 posted:

A sideways mushroom cloud, duh.

Thanks, crysanthemum’s phone keeps ringing through to voicemail.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The sky is getting darker, not brighter. At 7am it felt like a weird morning, it's 9am now and it's so dark people need headlights to drive.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Your boomer parents built it.

Here's your chance.

naem
May 29, 2011

had to figure out the headlights on my new car for the first time

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Holy shitballs

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I want to say that these pics look post-apocalyptic, but really they look mid-apocalyptic.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I can’t even remotely bring myself to care If you’re stupid country burns down

naem
May 29, 2011

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol some bitch just tried to freeze up my computer. :byewhore:

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Transition into Desert Ecosystem

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
If anyone else has pictures of everything right now on the west coast, please post.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Star Me Kitten posted:

If anyone else has pictures of everything right now on the west coast, please post.

My phone keeps adjusting everything to filter out the redness, but this twitter thread full of user submitted pics got posted in the CA D&D thread

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1303743104311324680?s=20

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Out the window in Sacramento, not terrible today

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Went up to St Helens and found the divide between the smoke and clear skies on this stumpy beach (giant image)

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My phone keeps adjusting everything to filter out the redness, but this twitter thread full of user submitted pics got posted in the CA D&D thread

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1303743104311324680?s=20

JFC. Ok, thanks.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Donovan Trip posted:

Went up to St Helens and found the divide between the smoke and clear skies on this stumpy beach (giant image)

wow

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
oh god 2020. Seriously getting harder and harder to not feel like we really are in end times over here. Please someone tell me I am dumb for thinking this and knock the thought out of my head.

naem
May 29, 2011

Star Me Kitten posted:

10:30 in the morning, dark as night

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

naem posted:

10:30 in the morning, dark as night

Wow! I am really sorry-- those of you goons who are having to endure that rn.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Star Me Kitten posted:

oh god 2020. Seriously getting harder and harder to not feel like we really are in end times over here. Please someone tell me I am dumb for thinking this and knock the thought out of my head.

We have front row seats to the greatest show on earth, why would anyone willing check out before the finale?

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Capisano posted:

If you watch the show Fire Chasers on Netflix they show a group of female prisoners going thru fire camp and training and eventually getting on the fire lines.

Sounds hot.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
And a dark wind blows :getin:

naem
May 29, 2011

Star Me Kitten posted:

Wow! I am really sorry-- those of you goons who are having to endure that rn.

there are normally three more sets of hills with buildings and stuff visible back there, gone in the smaug

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Star Me Kitten posted:

https://youtu.be/JsN2OfhhmQs

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Nice choice!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The capital of Oregon looks like a Doom WAD currently:

Oh man Total Recall was such a great movie

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Movies were cancelled this year, but that's okay because 2020 is the year the movies came to us.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Can someone plz explain the concept of nuclear winter to me? You always hear about that poo poo but it’s like, when they do all those tests that poo poo doesn’t make a bunch of soot (mainly because they aren’t burning wood). Like, this poo poo just made me think of this. Like people wouldn’t drop nukes in a forest or whatever right? Like what if the thing hits a tree branch and falls on its side?

Nuclear Winter has essentially always been a well-intentioned falsehood rooted in iffy modeling

there are legitimate differences in what would be burned and how it would be distributed throughout the atmosphere (though you'd certainly get plenty of soot from fires in urban areas and wilderness alike), and a full-on civilization-ending nuclear exchange would absolutely result in some substantial temporary global cooling, but most indications are it would be more akin to the year without a summer resulting from the 1815 eruption of Mt. Tambora than an extinction-inducing multi-year period of darkness

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Convex posted:

Oh man Total Recall was such a great movie

That's of the sequel Total Writeoff

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Meanwhile the east coast has stolen your perfect weather and we arent giving it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Chomp8645 posted:

What you're saying is we should press more penal battalions into fire service.

I think we should take everyone who works for Goldman and put em on brush fire duty.