Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graham Fury
Oct 26, 2010
what would happen if the Blob tried to absorb the Thing? ffs hollywood i'm not going to do all your work for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Graham Fury posted:

what would happen if the Blob tried to absorb the Thing? ffs hollywood i'm not going to do all your work for you

The Stuff, the taste that makes you hungry for more

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

DickParasite posted:

It's possible A Thing does not even if it is a Thing until it's attacked.

This would suck ngl. I came to watch a monster movie not a gameshow where they all take bets on which contestant's going to randomly sprout tentacles.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 7, 2020

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Graham Fury posted:

Friendly reminder that if you haven't seen the 1988 blob remake, treat yourself to a drat good time.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Yeah well fumble *this* a bit too much til I climax, bitch

You gonna sit there and tell me you the bit in the cave was as good as everything that came before it and the bit after? If they had done that bit better or not tried to bite off more than they could chew with special effects then it would be 100% a masterpiece.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

smoking a joint and scratching my nutz

whats up with you

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Flannelette posted:

You gonna sit there and tell me you the bit in the cave was as good as everything that came before it and the bit after? If they had done that bit better or not tried to bite off more than they could chew with special effects then it would be 100% a masterpiece.

Nah, sorry, cause there's still the matter that the movie has this big expository scene where the doc tells you how this is a creature that imitates other lifeforms complete with an 80s computer visual of a single cell going around absorbing other cells and imitating them, and then promptly throw that whole concept in the garbage and then still try to pretend they didn't just change the entire MO of the threat like nobody will notice.

Like, on a four-star scale that costs at least half a star right there, no matter the rest of the film.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

There's also that dumb scene where they find some charred body in the snow and they're all like, "what is this charred body in the snow?" And it plays out exactly like they just ran out of money to film the scene that resulted in this charred body being in the snow and they're explaining to the audience what they might have seen had they been able to complete the film.

Actually that's kind of hilarious now that I think about it but technically it's a big flaw.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

“The Thing is overrated” -an absolute moron.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Pawn 17 posted:

Look, you can disagree all you like, but please don't talk about Roger Ebert that way, ok?

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
hmmm I dunno you ever hear of a RED HERRING I mean come on that's mystery 101 right there get with the program

"I'm interested in watching The Thing because the title promises it'll explain what's happening in a totally unambiguous way" said no one buying a ticket for The Thing

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I hate The Thing because he pours scotch onto a chess computer I want really bad I hate the thing I want the chess computer

that's a great scene, it telegraphs the ending

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

They also cut out Kurt Russell's love interest and only female character in the movie, which I have to remove another half-star for.

Shadownerd
Aug 2, 2007
Fabricati Diem, Pvnc.
I’m sorry but you are completely and utterly wrong.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pawn 17 posted:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

john carpenter as a whole is overrated. see also: cameron, james

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Look, you can disagree all you like, but please don't talk about Roger Ebert that way, ok?

Roger Ebert hated horror movies and was at his best when reviewing utter dreck like North.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

john carpenter as a whole is overrated. see also: cameron, james

What the hell is this poo poo?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
more leik

Da Ting

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Shumagorath posted:

It would be perfect if I didn't have to preface every potential viewing with "ye like dags??"

The dog kennel sequence actually does border on obscene. What pushes it into exploitation territory is that low synthesizer chord that underscores the scene, makes it feel really sleazy. Come on, it's a bunch of innocent pooches getting devoured by an abomination, I really don't need any kind of emotional manipulation to feel disturbed by it, but Carpenter apparently didn't have enough confidence in the footage to let it play without any music.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

LabyaMynora posted:

Roger Ebert hated horror movies and was at his best when reviewing utter dreck like North.

Roger Ebert had opinions, this is true.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Now don't get me wrong it's good, real good even, but it's not quite a masterpiece is all I'm sayin'.

It is so a masterpiece.

Shut up!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Roger Ebert had opinions, this is true.

He was right - video games are not art.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

I think they should make an all female remake for feminist reasons

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Now don't get me wrong it's good, real good even, but it's not quite a masterpiece is all I'm sayin'.

Sounds like something the Thing would say. Gonna have to burn you, now.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

An all-female team would probably defeat The Thing too easily because they'd all cooperate and never split up and keep each other in the loop about things.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

I think they should make an all female remake for feminist reasons

Annihilation fuckin owns

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

The Stuff, the taste that makes you hungry for more
"Are you eating it, or is it eating you" is the correct tagline. Also, The Stuff is the best one of "The Thing", "The Blob", "It" or "The Stuff".

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pfft not even close, do you lace those clownshoes up yourself!?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Annihilation fuckin owns

color out of space as well

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Pfft not even close, do you lace those clownshoes up yourself!?
Only one of those four has a character named Chocolate Chip Charlie in it, and it's not "The Thing". Checkmate.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

it's described multiple times as an organism that perfectly mimics the prey that it digests, but when we see it in action it's more of a contagion that turns its infected into inside-out, tentacle-sprouting monstrosities
any time the thing is found out it acts more in its true nature and modifies itself as much as it has to for fight or flight. but it can mimic and replace people discretely all the time whenever its not found out

LabyaMynora posted:

What the hell is this poo poo?
probably some nonsense that sounds like when you ask someone about what movies they like and they respond with what directors they watch

roomforthetuna posted:

The Stuff is the best one of "The Thing", "The Blob", "It" or "The Stuff".
no

Ehud posted:

It’s a perfect movie, op

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I easily like in the mouth of madness much more

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

It's implied that there is one human infected after dog thing shows up. Also while Wilford Brimly is dissecting the frozen thing from the Norwegian base, he points something out on it with a pencil and then touches it to his lips, suggesting he was also infected. Just because the thing was imitating two crew members doesn't mean it was strong enough to overpower the remaining humans, it likes to hide. When it's cornered it makes a big scene so a smaller bit of itself can sneak off while everybody is distracted. As for the burnt guy, It's implied he was confronted by the thing so he decided to immolate himself so he couldn't be imitated.

Alternatively,

OP hot take bad. It's not my favorite movie, but it deserves the cult following it has.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The not really understanding is half the fun. In fact, it seems pretty likely that the people who have "been infected" by the thing (i.e. become more things) might not even realize it themselves.

Maybe we're all things!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Thinking about Kurt Russell's mullet...
:allears:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
No movie with Keith David in it is overrated.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The special effects look fake as poo poo, if people think the rubber puppets are impressive craftwork that's fine but people acting like it looks indistinguishable from reality are just the film equivalent of people thinking vinyl just sounds warmer because of nostalgia.

Also it's incredibly telling that one of the old goon copypastas about The Thing was that it was the best movie ever because it didn't have any women in it.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I thought these forums might get better after Jeffery took over and then I see this disgusting thread title and it's all despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also it's incredibly telling that one of the old goon copypastas about The Thing was that it was the best movie ever because it didn't have any women in it.
the actual best movie ever is raiders of the lost ark