Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
all my life i assumed the lower wattage microwaves were just old ones so i always, 100% of the time, used the 1100W instructions (exactly halfway between the times, natch)

anyway i looked at my microwave at some point last year and found out it was actually 1000W :staredog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8KfYOOEuc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Jenny Agutter posted:

In this forum it should be probatable to give microwave instructions without specifying the wattage you're using

this is something i am passionate about. Frozen dinners or whatever should list cooking times as Watt-minutes (Wm) instead of just minutes or seconds.

fwiw my microwave is 1000 W

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I got a 1250 watt one last year and will never go back

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
how many watts would it take to instantly cook a hot pocket? any labcoat wearing science goons in here????

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

A single pepperoni hot pocket is about 125g in mass. Assuming about 80% of that is water we have 100g of water to heat from 0C to let’s say 66C. 1cal of energy heats one gram of water by one C so we need 100x66= 6600cal input to the hot pocket. 1cal is equal to 4.184 Watt-seconds. So to heat the hot pocket in one second you would need 6600x4.184= 27,614W of output power assuming 100% absorbtion efficiency.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jenny Agutter posted:

A single pepperoni hot pocket is about 125g in mass. Assuming about 80% of that is water we have 100g of water to heat from 0C to let’s say 66C. 1cal of energy heats one gram of water by one C so we need 100x66= 6600cal input to the hot pocket. 1cal is equal to 4.184 Watt-seconds. So to heat the hot pocket in one second you would need 6600x4.184= 27,614W of output power assuming 100% absorbtion efficiency.

amazing :golfclap:

thanks so much cda <3

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

shenaniyams

your calculations imply that you could cook a Hot Pocket in under 30 seconds with a 1000 W microwave oven

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I had a 1600 W microwave, but we remodeled the kitchen and they don't make over-the-range microwaves that powerful

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
gonna add my microwave's wattage to my tinder profile.

thanks so much cda <3

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

somebody figure out how to shoot military grade lasers into food

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mlnhd posted:

shenaniyams

your calculations imply that you could cook a Hot Pocket in under 30 seconds with a 1000 W microwave oven

True, there are obviously a lot of inefficiencies I didn't include for simplicity. And I think kitchen microwaves operate at a less than 100% duty cycle which is going to lengthen your cooking time as well

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

Just meant specify if you're 'wave is like 1000W or 800W or whatever so readers can adjust accordingly

i see. thank you

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

how many watts is a nuclear bomb. how many watts is las vegas

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
how much watts is jj watts

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mlnhd posted:

I had a 1600 W microwave, but we remodeled the kitchen and they don't make over-the-range microwaves that powerful

:prepop: that beast was drawing like 2.2KW from the wall, other country electricity or...?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
just ate a leftover Crispy Chicken BLT and Double Stack from Wendy's. Did 1:50 on half power at 1000W came out just hotter than lukewarm. Perfect.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol awesome

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cold is always better than microwave reheated anything.

Microwaves are for hot pockets, soup, tv dinners, etc.

If it was once hot and then chilled, it stays cold and it's better for it ZERO exceptions ever for anything period.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
counterpoint: nothing that was originally served warm should ever be eaten cold. The only exception is quiche

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

counterpoint: nothing that was originally served warm should ever be eaten cold. The only exception is quiche

You know they pasteurize the dairy in ice cream.
Maybe you'd like a big hot frothy mug of that to go with your luke warm tepid opinions, PAL

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I usually reheat things. The only thing I don't always reheat is tavern style pizza. There's more cheese than crust so it end up being just fine. Any delivery place with your standard triangle cut pizzas will probably be heated up in the toaster oven. I used to reheat things in the microwave all the time but the toaster oven works so much better.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i got drunk last night because BaSkEtBaLl and then i ordered a LOT of wendys. today i have 2 6pc spicy nugs (minus 2 nugs i ate last night), 3 value sandwiches (mysterious), and.. an entire asiago ranch spicy chicken sandwich.

the nugs will go in the air fryer. the sandwiches will be nuked (in their wrappers (except the asiago ranch because of the foil))

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

i got drunk last night because BaSkEtBaLl and then i ordered a LOT of wendys. today i have 2 6pc spicy nugs (minus 2 nugs i ate last night), 3 value sandwiches (mysterious), and.. an entire asiago ranch spicy chicken sandwich.

the nugs will go in the air fryer. the sandwiches will be nuked (in their wrappers (except the asiago ranch because of the foil))

I'm not saying turn your monitor off for a loving poo poo show based on your life choices but here we are

----------------

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hello
Russia the CIA is this the SECRET posting'ist police here it is, this is the most massive burn I am so sorry

----------------

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Aardvark! posted:

i nuke it, i cant stand hot food eaten cold. i don't even eat pizza cold :twisted:

Me either, cold pizza is absolutely disgusting and I have no idea why so many people love it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Thin crust pizza is okay cold, anything more substantial must be warmed

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cold pizza can be better than hot and it's ALWAYS better than reheated

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

Cold pizza can be better than hot and it's ALWAYS better than reheated

the only time cold pizza is better than hot is if it's midwest COLD VEGETABLE PIZZA

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

*puts arm around ur shoulder and pulls u real close to whisper reassuringly*

these r the same pizza

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i had a sausage egg and cheese biscuit in my fridge for 2 days and just nuked it (exactly one minute at 1100 watts) and with the addition of some sriracha and black pepper it was a DELIGHTFUL breakfast