Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
So far I've went all in on elementalism, just reached Riverville and it's working well, but I remember destruction wound up lagging in Skyrim compared to just stabbing stuff so I'm hoping it keeps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

MH Knights posted:

Many, many spiders in several very large sizes.

Well drat

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shyrka posted:

So far I've went all in on elementalism, just reached Riverville and it's working well, but I remember destruction wound up lagging in Skyrim compared to just stabbing stuff so I'm hoping it keeps up.

As you level up, you find more advanced ranks of spells, so it's not like Skyrim where the spells you get early on suck because they don't scale, and the spells you get later suck because they are bad, you should be able to keep all your spells viable throughout the game.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Tibbeh posted:

Well drat

There is a mod to replace them with other stuff if spiders freak you out.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tibbeh posted:

Important question: Does the mod have giant spiders? I remember that really made it hard to play Skyrim for me

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2435736837&searchtext=Spider

Thankfully there is a modding scene for this mod.

I really should pick this up again soon and finish it, was a bit over halfway through all the new stuff and was playing with the overhaul mod to mix things up abit last year.
https://www.nexusmods.com/enderal/mods/116?tab=description
vanilla felt a bit "solved" because a lot of the most threatening enemies you could just step 1 foot back so their attack would miss and then spam power attacks, this mod while not every change is perfect at least gives enemies more varied attack patterns and archers will melee you close up instead of standing perfectly still releasing arrows while you slap them and rebalanced some of the more overpowered/underpowered systems.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

im at the part where i have to get the 3 black stones how much is left of the main quest? also do you need your skills around master by the end? i have heavy armor and one hand around expert block at adept and im not having too much trouble unless i get swarmed by a group of bonerippers or mages.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2435736837&searchtext=Spider

Thankfully there is a modding scene for this mod.

I really should pick this up again soon and finish it, was a bit over halfway through all the new stuff and was playing with the overhaul mod to mix things up abit last year.
https://www.nexusmods.com/enderal/mods/116?tab=description
vanilla felt a bit "solved" because a lot of the most threatening enemies you could just step 1 foot back so their attack would miss and then spam power attacks, this mod while not every change is perfect at least gives enemies more varied attack patterns and archers will melee you close up instead of standing perfectly still releasing arrows while you slap them and rebalanced some of the more overpowered/underpowered systems.

Would you recommend this mod for a first playthrough? The mediocrity of Skyrim's combat AI is one of my biggest beefs with it and the main thing making me hesitant about Enderal, but looking at the feature list it changes a lot of the underlying systems. My main concern is it's one of those mods designed for experts who know how to abuse every edge case to survive.

On the other hand, it lists Gothic as an inspiration and more Gothic is exactly what I'm looking for.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

is there a respec system in this? i think im close to the end and fighting mages as a melee guy is absolutely miserable. especially if theyre ice ones.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Would you recommend this mod for a first playthrough? The mediocrity of Skyrim's combat AI is one of my biggest beefs with it and the main thing making me hesitant about Enderal, but looking at the feature list it changes a lot of the underlying systems. My main concern is it's one of those mods designed for experts who know how to abuse every edge case to survive.

On the other hand, it lists Gothic as an inspiration and more Gothic is exactly what I'm looking for.

It's worth a shot and you can always find ways to modify parts you don't like, like it severely lowers your carrying weight but I just consoled it back to vanilla values.

The part that took getting used to was enemies like Vatyr and Bonerippers that you could just backstep and avoid all their damage now rush you down aggressively and you either need to kill them fast or block them and can be rather rough for low levels.

And be sure to grab the faster knockdown recovery animation mod like the thing recommends because big things like to ragdoll you until you get some immunity to that.

ASenileAnimal posted:

is there a respec system in this? i think im close to the end and fighting mages as a melee guy is absolutely miserable. especially if theyre ice ones.

Console commands probably, maybe a mod.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Does anyone happen to have the Static Mesh Improvement Mod fix for Enderal? Apparently it was yanked from Nexus because it used assets from the DLCs, and has pretty much vanished from the internet as a result.

ASenileAnimal posted:

There's a mod for it called Amnesia Shrine. Use with caution as people have reported save corruption issues: make a save backup for safety's sake.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 2, 2021

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Does this also work with SkyrimVR? Looks great.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Does this also work with SkyrimVR? Looks great.

It does, though it seems to require a mod to enable proper support.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just finished the game and it was an awesome experience. ill probably do another more thorough run as a caster at some point cause i feel like there was a huge amount of content i missed even though i clocked in at around 45 hours.

i also enjoyed the fact that it managed to be challenging the entire way through but not in the way some crappier mods do it where they just make every enemy into giant hp blobs that oneshot you.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

ASenileAnimal posted:

i also enjoyed the fact that it managed to be challenging the entire way through but not in the way some crappier mods do it where they just make every enemy into giant hp blobs that oneshot you.

That's just Bethesda's default difficulty slider lol

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Giving this another go after my Werewolf run fizzled out a while back.

What should I add on the Two-Handed tree? There's a combo with Elementalism but I don't understand how that'd work, dont you need to unequip your weapon to cast spells?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
im trying this out and holy poo poo for some reason the mouse is loving real bad, it's super floaty and the x/y speeds are insane even with mouse sensitivity all the way down

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Vadun posted:

Giving this another go after my Werewolf run fizzled out a while back.

What should I add on the Two-Handed tree? There's a combo with Elementalism but I don't understand how that'd work, dont you need to unequip your weapon to cast spells?

youre going to be swapping between weapons and spells quite a bit because stuff like divine shield or summons really help alot if youre a melee guy.

i started an elementalist character and its crazy how much easier it is. i havent hit the first town yet and ive already cleared most of the areas around it and i barely ever get hit.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
game is good, having fun. also agree elementalist seems really strong, or at least spells. I went around some mountain and ran into a bunch of goblin dudes? called... alps or something, they were probably much higher level cause they took like 3% health per arrow but i was able to kill them without that much issue with lightning/fire hands (though it still took a while)

killed a couple mages too and a giant ice elmental but there were wolves that were far scarier than any of those so i went back to the starting area and killed a lich or something in a ruin

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

I found the captain of the ship you start the game on.

Bit disappointing, I really wanted to have a "This is for Sirius!" moment but she was already dead. At the very start of the game after washing up I was like, "What's my character's motivation now? What's going to guide me in this new world?" and obviously it was revenge!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I just got to Ark for the first time and am lvl 16. What is the max lvl in the game?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I've seen talk about melee and talk about magic, how are bows as a specialization?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bremen posted:

I've seen talk about melee and talk about magic, how are bows as a specialization?

Yeah, but I think everyone is fuckin sick of em from vanilla lol

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Bremen posted:

I’ve seen some discussion elsewhere about how stealth archer is just as ridiculous in Enderal as it is in Skyrim, especially when you combine it with enchanting. Personally I believe it: as an elementalist primary, I get the vast majority of my work done by one- or two-shotting things from range, and an archer build will probably do that even more safely.

Edit: disclaimer, I am running Engarde.

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013
A lot of builds are broken strong later in the game if you build them right. Psionic, Elementalist, Two-handed sword, and that stealth tree in general are really strong. There's probably more and I just don't know about them as I haven't played them yet

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Finally finished Enderal SE, and I feel compelled to post something about it here to give others a heads-up:

Content warning for the unskippable graphic rape scene and the unskippable domestic violence scene. Did not need those in my open-world RPG, thanks Enderal devs.

Other than that, well, feelings are powerfully mixed. It has some legitimately excellent level design, there's a few quests that are AAA-quality (the Rhalata quest-line, chunks of the main quest that weren't overly self-indulgent, like Forgotten Homeland), and the music is almost universally excellent, excepting only the bard songs which make going into a tavern actively painful. The voice acting for the main characters is also top-notch (which makes me wonder why it is so terrible in the "daddy" sequences).

In the end, I can't say it was worth the time I put in to it, unless you're really hard-up for open world RPGs that amount to a fantasy reskin of the Mass Effect story plus a heaping helping of Intro to Nihilism 101.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've been thinking of replaying Skyrim but I've seen everything in it, so this could be fun. Do late-game spells look cool, or is it like Skyrim where it's always the same little flames coming out of your hands?

Kestral posted:

Finally finished Enderal SE, and I feel compelled to post something about it here to give others a heads-up:

Content warning for the unskippable graphic rape scene and the unskippable domestic violence scene. Did not need those in my open-world RPG, thanks Enderal devs.

What quests are these in? If avoiding them is not an option, I'll be finding something else to play.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Chamale posted:

What quests are these in? If avoiding them is not an option, I'll be finding something else to play.

Echoing this sentiment. I am happily trodding along on the Sun Coast/Riverville, thinking what a cool game, what interesting dungeon designs, man this reminds me so much of Gothic. But I'm not willing to put up with unskippable rape/dv cutscenese. Might as well go back to gothic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
FWIW I put about 60 hours into this and never encountered anything of the sort.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I did, as far as I know, everything there was to do in the game, and I don't recall anything like that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ironslave posted:

I did, as far as I know, everything there was to do in the game, and I don't recall anything like that.

Yeah same. What quest are they talking about?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There's the dream sequence where you're a child? in your childhood home? I haven't played the game but that made for a :catstare: when dropping into a twitch stream

OTOH there is more genuine emotion in 30 secs of a guy threatening his wife than in the whole of Skyrim's story and sidequests combined.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Strategic Tea posted:

There's the dream sequence where you're a child? in your childhood home? I haven't played the game but that made for a :catstare: when dropping into a twitch stream

OTOH there is more genuine emotion in 30 secs of a guy threatening his wife than in the whole of Skyrim's story and sidequests combined.

That's not a "graphic rape scene," though, and the way the person is referring to the rest is as if it's some kind of gratuitous and prurient thing inserted into the game when it's neither. I really want to know about this supposed rape scene, because either this person discovered something nobody else did inserted into the SE, they're dramatically misrepresenting something that is there, or they were playing the game with certain mods.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yes, that post feels really disingenuous based on my experience with the game. They make it sound like there is a scene where you are forced to watch someone get beaten and raped, when I have zero experience with that at all after playing the game through three times.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Do... do you guys not remember going up to the castle in the frozen north and getting separated from your companion, and getting to hear a bunch of voice tracks about how she’s helpless and surrounded by men who are going to have just a little bit of fun before they kill her?

It’s not, like, “you have to watch it happen” graphic rape especially because it’s an obvious plot effect to force her to unleash her dark powers and kill her assailants but she was totally justified because she was about to be raped, guys, honest but it was definitely in the “we’re going to put the characters through stupid edgy dark drama and threaten a character with imminent rape because we want to be seen as deep dramatic writers” on par with superhero wives getting stuffed in fridges.

Link, for those who don’t remember:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=18m6_7qLTxU

Better capture of the whole scene, but interrupted a lot by inventory management:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R99dUWjBGdk

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 1, 2021

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Few things on that: that's not graphic and it's not mentioned or treated as a sexual assault. The english line reads are suggestive in a way I don't appreciate now and didn't at the time (and perhaps are also in the original language reads, I don't speak it), and are also very much part of the general trend of the game's aesthetic occasionally misjudging or not understanding the line between "dark" and "juvenile." It's really part and parcel of my major complaint about the game, the way it seems to believe leveraging nihilism makes something deep--but even in this regard it has far more hits than misses, like with Esme's questline.

That's a tremendously far cry from a "graphic rape scene." The english VA and writing is tastelessly leveraging the association, but doesn't reflect it within actions, depictions, or reactions within the story.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lol sinister suggestive dialogue is not a graphic rape scene. Who are you trying to impress with your outrage here?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's literally the torture / interrogation scene from Witcher

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To fly to the defence of GOTY WITCHER 3 though, that isn't just a casual 'oo er women are always at risk from random bandits'.

It ia a major part of the plot in that third of the game that one of the major kingdoms has spun its special forces into an anti-magic inquisition to satisfy the king's insane paranoid grudges. They are in the background as a significant force for a lot of the story and you are forced to work for and against them at different times. I dunno IMO that justifies the demonstration that yes they are torturing baddies.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
portrayal is not endorsement hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Finished this now, got the Catharsis ending. Ending spoilers ahead.

I feel like the ending moral of 'The High Ones are powerless but for the power we give them' doesn't really work. Between the red madness making people go on berserk killing rampages (and that is absolutely shown as getting worse towards the end with the possessed villager enemies showing up), the swarms of undead being raised up, and animals being made rabid, it feels abundantly clear that poo poo is falling apart fast and even if you stop the beacon, civilization is basically done.

I still went for the ending of stopping the beacon because becoming god of a bunch of cavemen to make them not greedy or egotistic just sounds absolutely dumb as a concept. May as well just save the lives still around!