Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

e: wrong thread

also pro snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Grand-mere and Grand-pere on my mother's side

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Gramer & gramper

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Having a heated Gramer moment over here.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

AcidCat posted:

I think I was in high school when I discovered some people don't use Grandpa/Grandma which I had thought was a universal thing. Buddy referred to his Grandma as Nana and I'm like wut?

same, but with "mee-maw" instead of nana. I still dont know why somebody older than a toddler would still use that, but people do

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

What I want to know is who is the one that actually has the authority to determine if someone is going to be a grandma or grandpa or if they're going to be a mee-maw or pee-pop.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My nieces and nephews have different names for each set of grandparents. Like their maternal grandmother is Grammy while paternal grandmother is Gramma. gently caress that

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
all of the gen x grandparents I am starting to see are so terrified of being called "grandpa" because that means a slow driver and they insist on being called poo poo like Big P. you're not the older kid who lives up the block. you're a senior citizen.

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

Poohs Packin posted:

Old Daddy seems really cumbersome, hilarious, and probably even more old sounding than "Grandpa". Was your Old Daddy seeking to style himself after a Blaxploitation style pimp? Did he choose Old Daddy or was it something your child brain came up with?

Apparently he didn't want to called grandpa so i solved the problem when i first visited them. I was two and asked "Where's that Old Daddy?" After he had gone to the store and i couldn't find him. it stuck and for some reason my family went along with it, almost no one in the family is known by their real name. I gave the most names but other family contributed, like my aunt "Lucy" short for lucifer, my uncle coined it after she became born again Christian.

My grandfather was either greatest or silent generation though, my parents are the boomers.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Mr and Ms pantshitter

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

My grand parents on my dads side were Opa and Oma because Dutch.

My Opa had a brain injury and one day when we were visiting him at the nursing home he said you don't have to call me Opa call me grandpa.

But you've always been Opa :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Going to spend the summer with Peepee and PoopPoop

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I call mine Oompa, Loompa and Doobedy, Doo

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Pinecone Sample posted:

all of the gen x grandparents I am starting to see are so terrified of being called "grandpa" because that means a slow driver and they insist on being called poo poo like Big P. you're not the older kid who lives up the block. you're a senior citizen.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug

Saalkin posted:

My grand parents on my dads side were Opa and Oma because Dutch.

My Opa had a brain injury and one day when we were visiting him at the nursing home he said you don't have to call me Opa call me grandpa.

But you've always been Opa :(

That sucks, sorry to hear that happened to you. Sounds like they wanted to make sure you knew who they were in your life when they were worried about being left out of it.

My mother in law is having my nieces and nephews call her Mee-Maw, or Mimi; but my Dad is like "just call me grandpa." I'd like to think that the title of Grandpa is earned by not dying before then.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Tristesse posted:

My mom was the oldest of 5 and all her siblings had at least 2 kids so my generation has a ton of grandkids. I also have this one Aunt who for the last 30 years has been trying to get everyone in the family to call my grandparents her specific nickname for them. The problem was she tried to get all us grandkids to go with it while we were all largely too old to buy into "Mimi and Poppers" so to this day everyone but her own kids just pretend we don't know who she's talking about. The best part is my grandparents also loving hate these nicknames so they will gladly go along with it. This once culminated in my grandpa shouting at my Aunt "WAIT, WHO THE gently caress IS POPPERS AGAIN WHY CAN'T I BE MIMI?"

Lol this is the sort of wild bullshit im talking about.

Jove Tone posted:

Grand-mere and Grand-pere on my mother's side

This is just French. Come back when youve got a Corn-pop and a Mubsy.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Grumbus and Bombo on one side, Clanker and Frimp on the other

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If I had grandchildren I’d make them call me Pazuzu

i won’t have grandchildren

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

going to spend a week with my Dweezil & Moon Unit

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My niece, now 11, started calling her grandparents Manja ("Mahn-yah") and Baka ("Bah-kah") for literally no reason whatsoever. The names stuck, and now we all refer to them as those names.

Edit: vvvv I know you're likely not referring to my post, but just so we're clear, I actually love the weird made up names for them. Super unique.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 23, 2021

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
This is a weird thing to be mad about.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I call my grandmother on my mom’s side “Mamie” (pronounced “MAY-mee”). Both she and my mom are from Alabama.

poo poo like this is common as hell in the south.

My dad INSISTS that I call his parents “Grandfather [lastname]” and “Grandmother [lastname]” every single time and gets real mad if I call them anything, y’know, normal, like “grandpa/grandma”. His siblings are the same way — all 17 of them. It’s weird. That whole side of the family has some sort of creepy parental cult worship thing going on and it bugs the poo poo out of me, partly because that grandfather was a huge rear end in a top hat and I wish I had told him so to his face before he died.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Just "Grandma" and "Grandpa" Lastname. Great-Grandma was Grandma Firstname.

My grandpa had a younger brother we were close to who we called "Grandpa Junior" because he looked like a younger version of our grandpa.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

13Pandora13 posted:

Just "Grandma" and "Grandpa" Lastname. Great-Grandma was Grandma Firstname.

My grandpa had a younger brother we were close to who we called "Grandpa Junior" because he looked like a younger version of our grandpa.

Reminds me of this.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

my dog died im sad posted:

This is a weird thing to be mad about.

God I actually hate posts like this.

Im just a-stompin' and a-snortin' at the the thought of you going to your Slappy and Blippy's cottage this summer.

Its a comedy forum. These are jokes. Nobodys mad at anything except your lovely low effort malaise posting.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
How did you know I call my grandparents slappy and blippy!?!??

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Gotta see both sets of grandparents. This week it's Rocking Chair and the Turkey Hearse, then next week it's Cotton Choppers and Ol' Bucketmouth. Hopefully none of them will wanna drain the dragon at Pickle Park.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

This is my dad, and his dad, Double Dad
They should be stackable. Your Mom's parents should be Mom Mom and Mom Dad. Your Dad's should be Dad Mom and Dad Dad. Your Mom Dad's parents should be Mom Dad Mom and Mom Dad Dad. It makes the genealogy nice and clear, and avoids all those annoying multiple grandma and grandpas you end up with otherwise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Going to spend the summer with Peepee and PoopPoop

lol this is what i got my sisters girls to call my parents.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
please make sure your grandma nickname does not also sound like a vagina and god help you if her name is literally freaking fanny!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Knormal posted:

They should be stackable. Your Mom's parents should be Mom Mom and Mom Dad. Your Dad's should be Dad Mom and Dad Dad. Your Mom Dad's parents should be Mom Dad Mom and Mom Dad Dad. It makes the genealogy nice and clear, and avoids all those annoying multiple grandma and grandpas you end up with otherwise.

Its how chinese works, you have distinct words for relatives depending on which of your parents they are related to.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Time_pants posted:

What I want to know is who is the one that actually has the authority to determine if someone is going to be a grandma or grandpa or if they're going to be a mee-maw or pee-pop.

my brother/his wife decided that my mom was going to be pamma (her name is pam). my dad did not get a cool name, so hes just a regular grandpa. they decided her dad would be boppa, so its pamma and grandpa and grandma and boppa.

ETA: a friend of mine's kid called his grandpa papa shango after the wrestler for some reason, but he hosed off somewhere and is now out of everyone's life.

DemonDarkhorse fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 24, 2021

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Oma, heh, My pépé died decades ago, but due to reltionship w a delightful and fantastic person, I now have an Oma.
I like her, but she apparrently terrorises the whole family.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My niece, now 11, started calling her grandparents...Baka ("Bah-kah") for literally no reason whatsoever.

Baka is japanese for idiot so it seems your niece is reading a lot of anime comics. Sorry your family has weeabooism

So did mine apparently :smith:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I only ever use formal names for my family, as valued as they are. Hello, grandmother, lovely day.

Yes father, I shall do that at once.

Mother, I follow your advice fully.

We are a family. Come join the family.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The names stuck, and now we all refer to them as those names.

My girlfriends family have weird names for the grandparents and everyone uses them, or call relatives Aunt Sue or Uncle Dave or whatever, like no name can go without a title. Doesn’t matter if that’s their relation to you, that’s their name.

I can’t do it. I guess my family was weird but we just used our names except for my sister and I calling our mom and dad Mom and Dad. My dad didn’t call my mom “Mom” or “Mommy”, I didn’t call my uncle “Uncle Joe”.

Wtf why does everyone need weird family aliases? I know how we’re related, do I really need to announce it every time?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I had Nana and Grampy on my father's side, and that feels like a mismatched set of names. All the names sound pretty much like baby gibberish so can't really fault people making up new ones.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
dont you dare make fun of my Crim Cram and BooBooBunkin