Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Time Magazine a defunct magazine that is now the hobby of a billionaire, it's so weird that people actually treat this as a thing more significant than Valpak announcing their coupon of the year award or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

may white jesus bless capitalism and cum pure unadulterated gasoline from his butt.

Big Beef City posted:

I literally said I wasn't defending him.
I was saying that "If you had unlimited funds and someone could build you a space command center and fly you around on space ships, many of you would be like hell yea, ok that sounds fun".

I would pay for everyone's education, medical bills, veterinary bills, and end world hunger. I would do everything I could to make peoples' lives better. gently caress space. We have a gorgeous planet that we are destroying. #MakeEarthGreatAgain

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

To be more specific, if he did not exist, that money would have flowed upward into what he is the head of, except into various boards, ceo's distributed corporate structures etc.

Yes, unionize immediately. I entirely agree. I'm not arguing this. This particular man is not the great satan because he capitalized on a system that was flawed to start with.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Three Olives posted:

Time Magazine a defunct magazine that is now the hobby of a billionaire, it's so weird that people actually treat this as a thing more significant than Valpak announcing their coupon of the year award or whatever.

It's probably as simple as people getting it thrown in their face and reacting to it. Like I'm pretty sure Trump was man of the year one year and oh boy people sure got wound up about that guy.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

may white jesus bless capitalism and cum pure unadulterated gasoline from his butt.

I would pay for everyone's education, medical bills, veterinary bills, and end world hunger. I would do everything I could to make peoples' lives better. gently caress space. We have a gorgeous planet that we are destroying. #MakeEarthGreatAgain

I'm certain that if you had unlimited wealth you would live in sackcloth and simply feed dogs while living from a large wine vessel telling Alexander to stand out of the sun. You're very magnanimous.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Grimes has always reminded me of the cocktail waitress from Britannia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vk5uxMpgIk

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Big Beef City posted:

I'm certain that if you had unlimited wealth you would live in sackcloth and simply feeding dogs while living from a large wine vessel telling Alexander to stand out of the sun. You're very magnanimous.

you're so worried that people are going to yell at you for tooting around in a space ship which i don't believe is the case. I think most reasonable people just don't want you to be super annoying about tooting around in your space ship, and it's absolutely perplexing why this frightens you so much.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

This particular man is not the great satan because he capitalized on a system that was flawed to start with.

A person who capitalizes on a flawed system instead of working to help fix it will just make things worse and has even less incentive to actually fix things.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Big loving deal, I was person of the year in 2006

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Big Beef City posted:

To be more specific, if he did not exist, that money would have flowed upward into what he is the head of, except into various boards, ceo's distributed corporate structures etc.

Yes, unionize immediately. I entirely agree. I'm not arguing this. This particular man is not the great satan because he capitalized on a system that was flawed to start with.

you are retarded

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Oh drat, the thing BBC got probated for really puts his defense of Musk in perspective.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
let's talk poo poo about elon musk while there's no one to yell at us about it

edit: elon musk is a STUPID name

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
elon musk can't smoke weed and he got (almost) all his money from apartheid African emerald mines

and he chooses to invest it in cars that kill themselves

:sad:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The government should just defund NASA because there are problems here we need to work on!!

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

kntfkr posted:

edit: elon musk is a STUPID name

Finally, someone said it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Remember when those kids got stuck in the cave, and Elon Musk was like "I'll invent a super submarine and send it over right away!" but while he hosed around they saved the kids? Then Elon called the diver a pedophile online lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I remember when the jury foreman had 2 teslas and voted him not guilty lmao

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
So What? I was Time's Person of the Year in 2006 and I didn't even do anything.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
could probably retire off elon musk calling you a pedophile online

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

Remember when those kids got stuck in the cave, and Elon Musk was like "I'll invent a super submarine and send it over right away!" but while he hosed around they saved the kids? Then Elon called the diver a pedophile online lol

I still can't believe that he won that case, lol

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

A Fancy Hat posted:

And then one goon unironically posted too much about the kids

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

kntfkr posted:

elon musk is a STUPID name

It sounds like the name of a Bond villain.

Which is fitting because Musk is like an even stupider, 21st century version of Hugo Drax from Moonraker.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

space is so cool. for me, i'd like him to build more rockets that work. and soon too!!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Lotta nerd rage ITT but no surprise really with an announcement like this. Whatever boneheaded moves Musk makes, he’s still accomplished more than your average schmuck (hell yes myself included) and his “societal influence” is pretty much limited to a new strain of Trumpish Teflon Tweeting, when stepping in it big time (like calling the cave rescuer a paedophile over Twitter) doesn’t actually lead to any ramifications for the guy, no matter what he says, aside from boos from the online peanut gallery. He MIGHT be a modern-era Howard Hughes but no one doing long-term forecasting of our species is ever going to compare him to Da Vinci or Ghandi or MLK. (Or Edison.) He’s not an icon, he’s a nerdy newsmaker who takes existing concepts and refines them, and he does a lot of it while also pushing various envelopes to varying levels of success. But he’s done big stuff with his life and those who rage most about him aren’t exactly hiding their jealousy.

Yaldabaoth posted:

when the poor decide to just burn everything to the ground because they're going to die either way.

Just gotta LOL if anyone actually believes “the poor” aren’t perfectly capable of being their own worst enemies sometimes. It’s not always rotten circumstances and lack of resources. Tribalism, turf wars, Trump 2016…”temporarily embarrassed millionaires”, anyone? Let’s not absolve or scapegoat the elites when the salts blunder their own way into misery and making their lovely lives worse.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

My favorite elon musk thing is people bankrupting themselves throwing entire pension checks into elon musk cryptocurrency scams on twitter

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Agent Escalus posted:

Lotta nerd rage ITT but no surprise really with an announcement like this. Whatever boneheaded moves Musk makes, he’s still accomplished more than your average schmuck (hell yes myself included) and his “societal influence” is pretty much limited to a new strain of Trumpish Teflon Tweeting, when stepping in it big time (like calling the cave rescuer a paedophile over Twitter) doesn’t actually lead to any ramifications for the guy, no matter what he says, aside from boos from the online peanut gallery. He MIGHT be a modern-era Howard Hughes but no one doing long-term forecasting of our species is ever going to compare him to Da Vinci or Ghandi or MLK. (Or Edison.) He’s not an icon, he’s a nerdy newsmaker who takes existing concepts and refines them, and he does a lot of it while also pushing various envelopes to varying levels of success. But he’s done big stuff with his life and those who rage most about him aren’t exactly hiding their jealousy.

Just gotta LOL if anyone actually believes “the poor” aren’t perfectly capable of being their own worst enemies sometimes. It’s not always rotten circumstances and lack of resources. Tribalism, turf wars, Trump 2016…”temporarily embarrassed millionaires”, anyone? Let’s not absolve or scapegoat the elites when the salts blunder their own way into misery and making their lovely lives worse.

That's an lmao.

EVERYBODY RAGIN ITT

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Crespolini posted:

space is so cool. for me, i'd like him to build more rockets that work. and soon too!!

yeah, even earth is in space. i see no reason to give space away to the most boring vision of an insignificant rich guy.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Blinded by my own thick goon tears turning into steam fart clouds over being so loving mad about Elon Musk

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

hell astro course posted:

calm down grimes.

Ha, BBC wishes

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Agent Escalus posted:

I wasn't referring to poor people who are white, it's dark skinned poor people that Elon Musk fears.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mods please change my name to "X Æ A-Xii" in honor of this great achievement.

Thank you.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I'm still amused he decided that was the hair cut for him, the neo-Nazi cut that removes the only natural hair he had left on his head.

Reminds me of when Jordan had the Hitler 'stache for like a month or so.

kdrudy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 13, 2021

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The only thing I'm mad about in the article is that they described this feckless goober as "square-jawed and indomitable"

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

hell astro course posted:

yeah, even earth is in space. i see no reason to give space away to the most boring vision of an insignificant rich guy.

oh? you don't?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I like the fact that BBC decided the reason no one likes the guy is because he bought a rocket and electric car company and not that he's an abusive, narcissistic rear end in a top hat of an employer that uses his fanatical followers as Grunt labor working in horrendously bad conditions, tried to make a tragedy involving kids that someone gave their life to save all about him, and literally paid off the founders of a company for the ability to use the title.

But yes, the real reason is he owns a rocket company. You got it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
BBC also doesn't understand why people hate the Queen of England

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the occasions when Time picks some controversial person as person of the year are literally the only times its relevant these days and thats been the case for quite a while

like i seriously cannot think of any other context in which it comes up. i never see anyone talking about articles in time magazine or any major stories being broken there. it's literally every few years a replay of the same "wow they picked this rear end in a top hat how could they!" "actually it doesn't mean good or bad they've picked hitler and stalin" conversation and that seems to be the entire reason the magazine exists now

maybe its time to stop treating their "person of the year" pick like a news item?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

It's all been downhill since the year of the Inanimate Carbon Rod.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What’s this thread about now that it’s not about watching BBC suck Elon Musk’s shriveled little cock for the next 6 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

What’s this thread about now that it’s not about watching BBC suck Elon Musk’s shriveled little cock for the next 6 hours

Bashing time magazine or maybe yet another place to laugh at musk's car tunnel and/or bootleg NASA companies