Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Even the experts can't fully agree on how genres should function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ErrEff posted:

Even the experts can't fully agree on how genres should function.

Some categorize songs by genre, like pop, rock, country, and so on, while others classify them as acoustic or traditional.

Whatever way you put them together, there are still some questions left to be answered: which genre did "We Can't Stop" fit into?

Is there even one right way to categorize pop music?

Take "We Can't Stop" for example: it's a good pop song, but it is far from traditional pop music.

Is it a "pop" song if it has an acoustic guitar in it?

On the other hand, would a "traditional pop" song be one with a distorted guitar riff and no acoustic guitar in it?

There's no way to categorize it without lying.

Unfortunately, the truth is that there is no definitive, correct way to categorize a song.

All we can do is study what's popular, and what we believe to be the truth.

What "The Rock" refers to as Rock and Roll, your average U2 fan will refer to as Rock and Roll.

Punk has become a genre unto itself, but one that has been shaped by many subgenres.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
why are half the posts in the thread in the form of acrostic posts but not actual acrostics

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why are half the posts in the thread in the form of acrostic posts but not actual acrostics

well, that's the thing, i was using the "auto post link" tool but i was too lazy to do all the rest, so, sorry about that... but, if you'd like to post acrostic, you can. if you get a chance, check out the adoring fans of trixie fanart. it's amazing.

it's been amazing watching fans work their way to shipping these characters together. you don't always see that kind of synergy in fandom, but it's been obvious the entire time.

then there's your newer case, the threeway stretch-collider-pairing: space drama from three good guys all who have "X" of course.

hope this has been a satisfying journey for you guys. I've really enjoyed reading about your progress.

Anyway, this isn't really a review, more like a short recap.I'll sum it up real quick:

Fandom for authorship is pretty cliquey, and those cliques are mostly about the characters. They do not allow for outside-of-the-lines activities like fandom, critical analysis, fanfiction, art, etc.I believe I read your "review" of fanfiction on xfiles and it sounded genuine and totally not like a hatchet job or anything. You told your story. Some people would describe it as lovely, but they'd be wrong.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Limericks aren't acrostics
You'll find that they're genre agnostics
I won't give the pleasure
Nor even the measure
Go home to your puppy and toss sticks

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

in Bjnding of Isaac i play the role of Isaac. therefore it is a role playing game.

It's a binding game

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
I'll call it whatever I drat well please, YOU DON'T OWN ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Final Fantasy Tactics is a roguelike