Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember in the first episode you could see that lady's bush? :q:

Downhill from there imo

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

MakaVillian posted:

Pretty much the same timeline (Daniel leaves at the end of season 5). I liked Jonas in season 6, but show turned into poo poo after that.

I liked the 2 movies though.

I sorta misspoke. Season 6 wasn't bad, and Jonas was honestly a decent character. Like you said, it started going downhill after the show caved to fans demanding that Daniel be brought back.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Wish kickstarter was around 20 years ago so we could have had Farscape season 5 instead of a two parter conclusion.

I remember the production company saying something after the cancellation like "We would like to thank the individual who sent in a check for $40, but we will be returning it."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bula Vinaka posted:

Wish kickstarter was around 20 years ago so we could have had Farscape season 5 instead of a two parter conclusion.

I remember the production company saying something after the cancellation like "We would like to thank the individual who sent in a check for $40, but we will be returning it."

It had a movie conclusion after season 4.

I remember being pissed off at Netflix at the time I watched it because they had all four seasons of the show but not the movie so I had to pirate it or some poo poo just to watch it (this was when TV/Movie streaming was basically just "Netflix, Hulu, or bust")

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Bula Vinaka posted:

Peacekeeper Wars rules because it killed off all the lovely characters that bloated the show in the later seasons. The first 40 minutes is just them cleaning house.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Grevlek posted:

Nox - space elves
goa'uld - bad guys who like history and are parasites
Tokra - good guys who are parasites
Asgard - grey aliens who pretend to be Norse ( think of the MCU)
Choppai - the Stargate (hey that's the name of the show)
Aliens who are invisible - literally don't remember them that was like one episode monster of the week style. Do you remember all the xfiles monsters???
Tauri - PEOPLE of EARTH
Tollans - humans, but bernie won in their timeline. They have the Ion cannon like in command and conquer.

To be honest the Gilmore girls lore is harder to understand. Who the gently caress is snaky???

Ty will bookmark for when I watch a few eps tonight

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I sorta misspoke. Season 6 wasn't bad, and Jonas was honestly a decent character. Like you said, it started going downhill after the show caved to fans demanding that Daniel be brought back.

yeah he was alright

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

gifs should have progress sliders so i can skip all the bulshit

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

MakaVillian posted:

Teal'c rules

Indeed

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I liked stargate but it got really silly the number of times they'd blow up a big space ship with a stick of dynamite or stopped an invasion force with one weird trick

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Meme Poker Party posted:

Farscape is also great classif sci-fi (I haven't seen the others). imo this is also the Farscape thread now. The SG-1 and Farscape thread.

i keep re-watching Farscape every few years and then don't watch The Peacekeeper Wars because it's never streaming anywhere at the time. so last year i finally just broke down and bought the dvd for it and now i'm too lazy to re-watch Farscape. i'll never know how it ends.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Crichton, Harvey and scorpius finally gently caress and its filthy. You're missing out!

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

hemale in pain posted:

I liked stargate but it got really silly the number of times they'd blow up a big space ship with a stick of dynamite or stopped an invasion force with one weird trick

Learn these 10 tricks to win an intersteller war that the gou'ld don't want you to know. Number 7 will shock you

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

just thought about when they owned that eugenics world by giving them the gate coordinates to a black hole lol

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

remember when goa'uld armour was bulletproof and going through the gate made you frosty in the first 2-3 episodes

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Jonas Quinn

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

I'm sorry for badmouthing you SG1, I think you might have been the last of the decent and fun scifi shows. These days it's all about being dark and moody.

I'd kill for something that took some risks and had fun along the way, another Brimstone or Seven Days! A shame Almost Human was smothered in the crib.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
col. oneil has a pet cat

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
remember sliders

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

hemale in pain posted:

remember when goa'uld armour was bulletproof and going through the gate made you frosty in the first 2-3 episodes

Umm armour piercing rounds.

I did notice the frosty thing too, I totally get why they dropped that lol

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Just got done re-watching it a few weeks ago. I like. I've moved on to Atlantis now.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I did notice the frosty thing too, I totally get why they dropped that lol

The frosty thing was in the books too. It was neat storytelling.

Remember Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, and Stargate Origins? Me neither.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Something something episode forest outside Vancouver

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Farscape was better but yeah the first half of SG-1 is also excellent, mostly. It did feel like the one show with the military that wasn't quite as self-conscious about it, which i kinda appreciated, too.

SG-1 being actually funny sometimes really helps the show go. Got worse when Daniel Jackson stopped being the nerd, though. A lot worse.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

kntfkr posted:

remember sliders

remember the outer limits

the only place you can watch every episode of every season of the 1990's outer limits in its complete original uncensored form (as-aired-on-showtime), is the roku channel, lmao

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Remember Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, and Stargate Origins? Me neither.

Hey Atlantis is really good. On average id even say better than SG-1 (except the ending, holy poo poo the ending was baaaaad).

Universe was probably some of the most miserable SciFi I watched, and never even touched origins.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Every planet and race speaks English.

They tried having to translate for a few eps and then we're like, nah everyone speaks English.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The Tok'ra gently caress over SG-1 and General Hammond declares his intent to send teams searching for O'Neil. The Tok'ra insist that they not send teams because it might endanger their undercover operations. So the Tok'ra ambassador threatens to break diplomatic ties with humans if Hammond sends these teams out, and Hammond just goes "well looking at the way our current alliance is going, I wouldn't mind that at all."

This is called having a spine.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

They tried having to translate for a few eps and then we're like, nah everyone speaks English.

My wife walked through once and asked why everyone speaks English and I went "uh... Because.... The ancients" and she thought that was sufficient from what she's seen of the show

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

Theres like two good scifi stories in all of existence that deal with translation; tng episode Darmok, and the movie Arrival.

Maybe there's others I can't think of, but having every episode grind to a complete halt for half the runtime would be absolute poison. Really they should've just found some ancient tool that acts like a star trek universal translator.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Rewatched it all last year, then Atlantis.

If I remember correctly every episode Christopher Judge wrote Teal'c gets to make out with a sexy woman at some point. Twice it was Jolene Blalock.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Hey Atlantis is really good. On average id even say better than SG-1 (except the ending, holy poo poo the ending was baaaaad).

To be fair, I never gave it a chance.

Sanctum posted:

The Tok'ra gently caress over SG-1 and General Hammond declares his intent to send teams searching for O'Neil. The Tok'ra insist that they not send teams because it might endanger their undercover operations. So the Tok'ra ambassador threatens to break diplomatic ties with humans if Hammond sends these teams out, and Hammond just goes "well looking at the way our current alliance is going, I wouldn't mind that at all."

This is called having a spine.

Srsly. Hammond was a great ballsy character at the beginning, chewing out O'Neill on a few occasions. He kind of turned into a nice grandpa at the end, which was weird for a 2-Star General.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

What the hell is stargate origins

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

To be fair, I never gave it a chance.

Once they add Ronon it gets better (season 2 I think?). The not-die hard season end/beginning is really good. I think I like it more because they add so many secondary characters that make regular appearances to have fun team ups with the main cast. SG-1 does have a large cast, but very often those characters just sit in their room and the main cast comes and visits, then leaves, whereas Atlantis will pair two clashing personalities up for a whole episode.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kdrudy posted:

If I remember correctly every episode Christopher Judge wrote Teal'c gets to make out with a sexy woman at some point. Twice it was Jolene Blalock.

Jolene "Nipples Protruding" Blalock

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

kdrudy posted:

I would also do that if I was writing an episode for myself (specifically with Jolene Blalock).

we get boat we get go posted:

I'm sorry for badmouthing you SG1, I think you might have been the last of the decent and fun scifi shows. These days it's all about being dark and moody.

I'd kill for something that took some risks and had fun along the way, another Brimstone or Seven Days! A shame Almost Human was smothered in the crib.

Seven Days was cool.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MakaVillian posted:

Seven Days was cool.

Oh yeah they had lots of fun figuring out disasters to justify time travel. I like the idea that humanity was about to end nearly every week and them gaining access to a time machine was a happy coincidence. For a pre-9/11 show they seemed to strain to find ok international bad guys. Lots of Chechen, North Korean, and cartels.

For SG1 I liked it ok, Teal'c was the best actor then Hammond, then Colonel O'Neill, then a big drop off. I liked when they stuck to the premise of finding tech and allies, less so when they wanted to become Star Wars or Star Trek.

I did like them bothering to send drones to check new planets to make sure they could support life, but yeah everyone speaks English Galaxy wide was lazy. Just have Thor’s people give them universal translators and call it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

having every episode grind to a complete halt for half the runtime would be absolute poison. Really they should've just found some ancient tool that acts like a star trek universal translator.

This is a very fair point