Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sid Vicious posted:

i need music basically nonstop or my brain just will not shut the gently caress up

:same:

I fire up the music first thing when my alarm goes off in the morning and I fall asleep to my favorite playlists. I love music so much. New, old, it doesn't matter, just always gotta have something playing. I've tried podcasts and audiobooks, but absolutely hate listening to people droning on about "X" topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Poohs Packin posted:

Im constantly listening to new music, old music, all music. I DJ as a hobby and keep a running shared Spotify playlist with mates.

I also work part time bartending at a theatre. Im the guy they call when nobody can fill a shift and it means i get to see live music for free. I stay on their roster solely for the artistic and social benefits.

It used to be super easy to keep up living in dorms and sharehouses, but I made a conscious decision when I turned 30 that id continue to seek out new tunes. Sometimes its a chore but I never regret taking the time to out music on and hear something new.

Listening to hottest 100 right now:
https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/listen-live/player/

For non Australians, Triple J is the youth and pop radio station in Australia, every year they do a countdown of the top 100 tracks as voted by listeners. Its a snapshot of the previous year and the youngs have listening parties. Its typically been held on Australia Day but theyve moved it to the weekend before because of contention around the holiday.

I also like Soul Saturday (formerly New Soul Sunday) with Nick Austin on WDET Detroit

https://wdet.org/shows/soul-saturday/

Ive met Mr Austin on a few occasions and hes a super nice guy and a great curator of neo-soul.

I love the Cercle series on Youtube for electronic dance music:

https://youtu.be/crZfT5qnFdA

The formula is basically take famous DJs and musicians, put them in a striking natural setting with thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment and drones and film them playing music. I like putting it on the TV/stereo when doing stuff around the house.

JJJ Hottest 100 = my birthday (today).

Don't dox me crackheads.

:350:

:wordle:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
yeah listen to music about 90% of the time I am working, after work its more podcasts these days though

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I listen to music nonstop when i can actually do production work and I'm not inundated with calls or other bullshit. Outside of work I'm just looking for new music.
I really struggle to find music that clicks with me - it has to do something new and sound fresh but also tell a proper story and have something interesting to say. Trying to find that at times can be tough and a bit relentless.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I listen to music a lot less than I used to. Like, in the car but my commute is like ten minutes. Other than that, a couple times a month when I get drunk and trip hard on music like the new Beach House.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Blow posted:

JJJ Hottest 100 = my birthday (today).

Don't dox me crackheads.

:350:

:wordle:

Did you vote for "Happy Birthday"?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I do really like music. It is much harder to find and listen to new music.

i mainly use bandcamp to find new music and it's pretty great for that

if you go to the "discover" section you can check out new releases by genre and there is no shortage of good music coming out all the time these days

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I find that constant non-stop TV and music is detrimental to me. For years I always had something on in the background, normally a TV show I wasn't even watching but enjoyed the "comfort" of. When I was driving I had music going. At a certain point as I decided to confront my crippling anxiety, I realized I needed to be present in the anxiety and show compassion to it in order to overcome it. I was avoiding confronting my thoughts and feelings for years by drowning it out. I think a lot of people do this, and those who say they always have something going to listen to I wonder if they are avoiding themselves. I am much happier now to listen to the pavement roll under my feet as I drive or the hum of my PC fans as I poo poo post on SA.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Basically for me it's like my brain has an audio channel that has to be occupied for processing at all times, and if I don't have some kind of audio from an external source that can be that part of my attention without being the focus, then my mind's gonna fill that in. I don't have music on while i'm writing this post so I hear music, but it's sort of draining because it takes some part of my energy to do. The best is when I get jams that just fill the whole audio space up in my headphones and I can barely think outside the song

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Avynte posted:

I've tried podcasts and audiobooks, but absolutely hate listening to people droning on about "X" topic.

I don't "get" podcasts for the same reason, but audiobooks on occasion in the car are a nice change of pace.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it actually really bothers me sometimes when music is treated as "just background". when really good music is playing, i just want to focus on the music and don't want to hear anything else. its one thing if im doing some basic physical task like driving a car, but i hate it when people put on music and then have loud conversations as if there's nothing else going on. im not a particularly social person and often when im in bars or parties or at someone's house for dinner or whatever i find myself more interested in the music than the conversation. this used to make me feel socially "weird" for obvious reasons but as ive gotten older and made music the center of my life instead of just a hobby and now most of my friends are other musicians who also tend to be like this

You Are A Elf posted:

I don't "get" podcasts for the same reason, but audiobooks on occasion in the car are a nice change of pace.

try the audiofiction side of podcasts. less "droning on about topics" , more stories - but with more music and sound design than you'd expect in typical audiobooks

i think the nonfiction style are much better when they are structured rather than rambling. Science VS is a good one

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 22, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

yes, also same. i need a new song on repeat atm

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Earwicker posted:

it actually really bothers me sometimes when music is treated as "just background". when really good music is playing, i just want to focus on the music and don't want to hear anything else. its one thing if im doing some basic physical task like driving a car, but i hate it when people put on music and then have loud conversations as if there's nothing else going on. im not a particularly social person and often when im in bars or parties or at someone's house for dinner or whatever i find myself more interested in the music than the conversation. this used to make me feel socially "weird" for obvious reasons but as ive gotten older and made music the center of my life instead of just a hobby and now most of my friends are other musicians who also tend to be like this

I tend to agree with this. Like I said before I can drive for hours in silence and love it, but I also hate music as just general background noise.
My favorite time to listen to music is with some nice headphones in the dark and I just get into it.

Maybe I just like to hyper focus on whatever I’m doing. So driving = just driving, and listening to music = just music. But really just focusing on music with no distractions is delicious

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i hate when people are screaming to have conversations at shows. like, why did you come? (to buy a tshirt) go hang out in a bar

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kntfkr posted:

i hate when people are screaming to have conversations at shows. like, why did you come? (to buy a tshirt) go hang out in a bar

I stopped going to bars because where I live they have loud live music every Friday and Saturday night which is the only time I would want to go to a bar.

Went to a winery one weekend with family thinking it would be a different story. Nope. loving live music started up 30 minutes into our tasting and we couldn’t hear each other. Why does every place that serves alcohol insist on loud live music all the time? What happened to socializing?

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

hell astro course posted:

silence is a type of music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4

From late high school through college I would listen to music almost every waking hour. In college I wouldn't even go between classes without my Sony Walkman cassette player and headphones blaring some tunes.

But then sometime after college, I realized life didn't need a soundtrack.

I ripped all my CDs (about 200 or so) into MP3s and still have them on multiple hard drives. I sold the CDs on eBay (even made a good profit on some).

I still listen to music, but FM radio is horrid - utter poo poo. I just feel old with most of today's music and cannot relate. Just loving noise at this point.

However, I still listen to my older music on the computer on occasion and if anything Youtube has acted very much like what MTV did in the 80's with introducing me to new or even older "new to me" music.

I've recently started listening to the Sparks who have been around for 50 years. There's 26 albums there alone to catch up and much is online.

Do I need any of it ?- Probably not.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
i have like 300gigs of music and it doesn't feel nearly enough

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Earwicker posted:

it actually really bothers me sometimes when music is treated as "just background". when really good music is playing, i just want to focus on the music and don't want to hear anything else.

Adam Neely has said that it isn't possible for him to listen to music in the background. He has to analyze it.

Liquid Chicken posted:

I've recently started listening to the Sparks who have been around for 50 years. There's 26 albums there alone to catch up and much is online.

Wow! A sighting in the wild of the rare and elusive Sparks fan.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I don't really need it if I'm not doing something repetitive like working out or whatever. I occasionally turn it on while working but rarely when reading unless I'm also on an exercise bike or something.

I have had office jobs with coworkers I didn't like where I had music on start to end. I've also had office jobs where I had cool ppl to talk to and rarely if ever put on music. :shrug:

100% of the time while driving of course

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 22, 2022

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I either listen to a track so often I spoil it for me or I am annoyed by background music. Got a nice radio that I never use.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I either listen to a track so often I spoil it for me or I am annoyed by background music. Got a nice radio that I never use.

there are whole swathes of music i listened to on repeat while v. v. drunk or high that I can no longer listen to sober because it feels fucky

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i get annoyed at certain songs im not crazy about getting "overplayed" everywhere but when i really like a song its completely impossible for me to listen to it too many times. there are some songs ive been listening to over and over again for at least 20 years and im still not sick of them at all

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Earwicker posted:

i get annoyed at certain songs im not crazy about getting "overplayed" everywhere but when i really like a song its completely impossible for me to listen to it too many times. there are some songs ive been listening to over and over again for at least 20 years and im still not sick of them at all

Same. It took thirty years for me to be able to listen to Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey just once. They super-saturated the airwaves with that one when it came out.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

LuckyCat posted:

I stopped going to bars because where I live they have loud live music every Friday and Saturday night which is the only time I would want to go to a bar.

Went to a winery one weekend with family thinking it would be a different story. Nope. loving live music started up 30 minutes into our tasting and we couldn’t hear each other. Why does every place that serves alcohol insist on loud live music all the time? What happened to socializing?

When I lived in New Hope PA we had a beautiful live music set up on I think wednesdays or thursdays at this bar called John & Peter's where it was Mickey Melchiado from Ween and a guitarist from P-funk, some other locals and then like travelling musicians that would stop by cuz not far from Philly and they'd just play whatever.

They called it the invitational. I think they might be doing it again but plague scares me.

I don't like Your Uncle's Cover Band in random bars tho for the most part. Seaside boardwalk is plagued by lovely cover bands.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

OMFG FURRY posted:

i have like 300gigs of music and it doesn't feel nearly enough

A single flac album doesn't count.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

A single flac album doesn't count.

lol

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Yeah if I'm home alone silence is just fine but if I'm going to be productive I need music on.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Earwicker posted:

yessss

There are songs I can't stand and have an almost visceral reaction to hearing because they were so overplayed, but other songs I have listened to countless times over the years and will continue to listen to them until I die

Sometimes when I'm tired I get in the shower and put a song on repeat on a speaker and listen to it until the hot water runs out

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I can't listen to music at work and all I can think about is Garden Grove by Sublime.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Bismuth posted:

sometimes i get absolutely out of my mind stoned, lay down on my bed in the dark and listen to music for hours, its the best feeling in the world

This is probably my favorite thing in the world to do, and I can't anymore because I have a family now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I need music more than I need food.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

music feels good on my brain. i put it in my ears a lot and love it when i hear the noises. i'm one of those perverts who keeps 500gb of music on my phone. the files are all my friends and we have a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

sigher posted:

I need music more than I need food.

If music be the food of love, play on