Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I don't know but I installed one of those apps and everybody was fat so I uninstalled it and started making plans to move to asia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would date a goon

If nothing else it would make for a great e/n post later

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Stink Billyums posted:

I don't know but I installed one of those apps and everybody was fat so I uninstalled it and started making plans to move to asia

Turn your phone on

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

The Bloop posted:

I would date a goon

If nothing else it would make for a great e/n post later

Not worth it, my ex dated a goon and she told me it was the worst time of her life.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

Not worth it, my ex dated a goon and she told me it was the worst time of her life.

I would date your ex then

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

The Bloop posted:

I would date your ex then

Do it, everyone deserves to be happy. Plus she's the manager at the theater so you can go see all the movies for free!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I was swiping through today and it was just one dog after the other, ugh.

I mean I was looking at a dog-walker app but still.

thats cool dogs are cute. just get a dog everybody. u cant have sex with it but they are cool and will definitely be friends with you

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Just so know if you go on dates you have to shower and do laundry and stuff. Worth it? I guess that’s for u to decide

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

Do it, everyone deserves to be happy. Plus she's the manager at the theater so you can go see all the movies for free!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i honestly think alot of 30-somethings have given up during the COVID era and have just found a balance of living single

such as myself

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

Anytime I get the urge to date I read the r/relationships thread and the feeling passes.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Keeping goons out of any sort of loins is a thankless but important job

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just move in with a good friend and enjoy having a roommate that you get along with, can watch movies or play games with, cook together, laugh together, cry together, and support each other through thick and thin.

but sleep in separate bedrooms and always be careful when you're on the couch together. don't say what you're thinking, don't reach out. you're not gay, you shouldn't be having those thoughts. you just have a roommate, a bro, a best friend, a partner in life.

nothing more. nothing more.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
i would have a life partner if it weren't for my crippling milk addiction that has ruined every relationship i've had.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I spent the last few years deliberately not dating and mainly just spending time with friends or family and for myself, plus casual sex. Spent a lot of time telling people I didn't want to date them. Earlier this year I went "I would actually be okay dating again probably" and then soon after I started dating someone and she's lovely and I've been very happy.

Dating is actually pretty easy it turns out?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Have you tried being hot rich and having a massive donger op?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Thanks to social media everyone under 40 is chock full of self image and confidence issues and thanks to online dating everyone is stuck in a perpetual loop of FOMO so they're always holding out for someone better to magically come around and find them just like in the romantic comedies, rather than committing to the basic-rear end normals in front of them.

But it worked for me, ahahahaha! I don't have to work on dating skills unless I crater this marriage.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

As I was using dating apps in the 2020 hellyear, I discovered most of the big ones (Tinder, Hinge, OkCupid, and many more) are all owned by one company, the Match Group, and they started rolling out shittier and shittier updates to all of them. The big one they added for almost all of them was using your data of who you approved or rejected to curate a list of people you actually wanted to match with behind a paywall which required buying "special" likes for even a chance to match with people you actually wanted to see. And the longer you use the app, the worse your regular list gets as it does a terrific job of finding who you actually want to match with and makes you pay to match with them. Apps that aren't owned by the Match Group have a lovely service or are aping off the same methods as the Match Group.

So I knew it wasn't going to be easy and this just made it worse. I've revisited dating apps a few times since then and I don't stay long due to the usual revulsion toward the format on top of lovely service. If you didn't know this and were having an especially hard time matching with people, know that its not just because you're ugly or have the personality of plywood, the companies have also made the service shittier in recent years.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

dating apps are especially bad, but social media has removed any sort of public space where people can interact socially without it being a curated shitshow. The most I ever got laid was either in college or some hobby outside of home and that was only because I had to talk and work with people up close. Trying to sound sexy and fun while only having your sad rear end pics and some text messages is never going to get anyone horny including yourself.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah it’s p much all just ugly people having embarrassing awkward sex with each other and making GBS threads the bed and eating at restaurants with cold, lovely tasting food and seeing the wrong movie but leaving early anyways because one of the other has diarrhea (non sexual) but they get ice cream anyways but it falls off the cone and a dog eats it and gets diarrhea. :shrug:

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Before you get so eager to find a significant other consider this: mine is snoring right now keeping me up and that's why you have to see my posts

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The trick is to be holding an animal in your main photo. 4 years ago my gf picked me because I was holding my kitty who has since died. Hold an animal OP.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Bukowski posted:

The trick is to be holding an animal in your main photo. 4 years ago my gf picked me because I was holding my kitty who has since died. Hold an animal OP.

sorry your gf died

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yes, yes, I suppose that's a tragedy. But is the kitty ok!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Post a picture of yourself in a beekeepers outfit. It’s how I met my wife on Plenty of Fish 9 years ago.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
It's ironic that the internet has made dating worse for socially awkward nerds. I have never and would never use dating apps if I were single again.
I think not appearing to actively seek a hookup or date is actually the best way to find one lol.

sad question
May 30, 2020

numberoneposter posted:

i was so bad at dating but somehow i have a baby on the way

guess i won? i get my prize in 3 months
It's hosed up they let babies on dating apps

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

spleen merchant posted:

It's ironic that the internet has made dating worse for socially awkward nerds. I have never and would never use dating apps if I were single again.
I think not appearing to actively seek a hookup or date is actually the best way to find one lol.

As an anti social weirdo I've had a lot more success with OkCupid than anything else by far. Not looking for a date resulted in 0 dates, but actively talking to new people on the sites, vetting them, and asking them out for an event at specific times works.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

sad question posted:

It's hosed up they let babies on dating apps
Only a hosed sicko would say poo poo like that, gently caress you and get hosed. I wish you the worst in life, and if I came across you in person I would put you on the ground.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's great actually op! Imagine having an interesting conversation with someone, writing every day, and you realize you kinda like this person. And then all of a sudden it's been a week since they last replied, and that week turns into a month, and you start wondering what happened. Your last message burns itself into your mind, like you can't believe you wrote this and that idiotic sentence, no wonder they didn't wanna talk anymore.

So you think you're too old for wasting your energy with this bullshit but you give it a month to see if something comes up. Two days before you're scheduled to delete your account, someone writes "hey you're cute and funny, i like you", and they seem reasonable enough so you think, let's give it one last shot. So you write back and wait for a reply. And wait and wait and wait. And you're like how in the hell did I manage to gently caress this up in the first freaking reply, and you smash that delete account button harder than you've ever smashed before.

sad question
May 30, 2020

numberoneposter posted:

Only a hosed sicko would say poo poo like that, gently caress you and get hosed. I wish you the worst in life, and if I came across you in person I would put you on the ground.
Oh I misunderstood, thought the app shipped a baby to you. I'm sorry I'm trying to remove it

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Mooey Cow posted:

It's great actually op! Imagine having an interesting conversation with someone, writing every day, and you realize you kinda like this person. And then all of a sudden it's been a week since they last replied, and that week turns into a month, and you start wondering what happened. Your last message burns itself into your mind, like you can't believe you wrote this and that idiotic sentence, no wonder they didn't wanna talk anymore.

So you think you're too old for wasting your energy with this bullshit but you give it a month to see if something comes up. Two days before you're scheduled to delete your account, someone writes "hey you're cute and funny, i like you", and they seem reasonable enough so you think, let's give it one last shot. So you write back and wait for a reply. And wait and wait and wait. And you're like how in the hell did I manage to gently caress this up in the first freaking reply, and you smash that delete account button harder than you've ever smashed before.

This is an honest review

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i joined a hiking club, got extremely drunk on absinthe, randomly asked someone to kiss me and somehow we're still together 10 years later so idk op you could try that?

although in my anecdotal experience there are a lot of people i know especially late 20s/early 30s types who seem to just prefer being single now

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
by posting on the SA forums, you are automatically entered into a polygamous 206,410-way relationship/gently caress circle

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Mooey Cow posted:

Lol, my wife and I met on OKC. She liked an image of me in a respirator doing some painting, then she accidentally ghosted me because she turns app notifications off to deal with anxiety.

So I kept on doing my thing while she fomo'd like this with an alt account to find and 'superlike' me. We went on a date 6 months after the initial ghosting and I didn't remember seeing her profile earlier that year at all.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I met my wife on Tinder so the system works

With that said, I'm also apparently good looking (:smug:) so I'm not sure how good Tinder works if you're not photogenic. Online/app dating is not the best way to get an idea of someones personality...

Oh, and back in the dating days I basically didn't get any matches if I wrote my height on Tinder, as I was deemed unworthy for being short. Once I got rid of that information though I got dates left and right and most of them went well. Short people, you too can prevail~

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 28, 2022

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The thing to remember is most of the people using dating apps are people who are too awkward or broken to just meet someone at the usual social settings like a bar.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Collapsing Farts posted:

I met my wife on Tinder so the system works

I also met your wife on twitter, can confirm.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Yaldabaoth posted:

The thing to remember is most of the people using dating apps are people who are too awkward or broken to just meet someone at the usual social settings like a bar.

Not everyone wants to meet people at a bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Yaldabaoth posted:

Everyone uses dating apps, its 2022. Ive been in two LTRs off of dating apps and am happily married (didn't meet wife on an app though). I'm socially confident and have my poo poo together. Meeting people in bars is a much bigger mistake lol.

If you want to meet someone on the apps its better that you pay for them though. When I was single I found that the difference between the paid and free experience was very, very different. Like, the difference between matching with people and going on dates and sitting on "read" for weeks. You can get pissed about having to pay the company offering you the service or just accept that dating is going to cost money at some point. The sooner you accept the latter the better off you'll be.