Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Gloomwood is good. I think describing it as Thief + Resident Evil + Deus Ex is fair. I love that you're always in the world, that's one of my biggest peeves with imsims is that usually interacting with something freezes time. Even your inventory requires physical space to put it down, but I found it more charming than annoying. Not a ton of content there yet, but you can tell that what they have built must have taken a long time. It feels very polished, very good. With just two guys working on it I can't imagine it's ever going to be a huge game, but I'm really looking forward to more of it.

If you're not into horror games, I would say it's really not much of a horror game, at least so far. It's more discomforting than scary, but it feels really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoscookinbacon
Apr 4, 2011
One I don't see mentioned is THE OCCUPATION, a PS4 game I found at a local library. You are a journalist in the late 80s that has to interview various officials in refrerence to act of terrorism at a British office. You go to the various interview sites early, and attempt to gather intel, which allows you ask the right questions. This involves lots of sneaking around air ducts/fire escapes and finding both evidence and keys to get you into other rooms you cannot access otherwise. Has a lot of different endings; my limited time and lack of sophistication only rated me the worst.

I might rent it again, it made me nice and tense even though there's no violence (if you get spotted, you are asked sternly to leave the area, and you get a few chances before they give you the ol' heave-ho) but parts of it were janky (the 1st person viewpoint is weird esp with heights/ladders) and watching a walkthrough, some of the solutions seem way too obtuse to parcel out and the objectives seemed either overexplained or a hair too cryptic. Still, I remember it, which is more than I can say for a lot of other games, and it is a very unique take on the genre IMO.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I miss Splinter Cell. I should play the old-gen Double Agent again.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does anyone have a trip report on The Dark Mod, if they don't mind sharing? Does it have some worthwhile mission packs, or should I stick to Thief 1 and 2?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Node posted:

Does anyone have a trip report on The Dark Mod, if they don't mind sharing? Does it have some worthwhile mission packs, or should I stick to Thief 1 and 2?

It’s been some time, but the dark mod is quite good and worth the install effort.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm creepin' and I'm creepin' and I'm creepin'... into this thread, and should mention perennial PS3 and 4 sale favorite Counterspy, which is a stealth platformer with procedurally generated levels where you're trying to stop the Not-US and the Not-USSR from blowing up the moon without tipping the power balance to one side or the other.

After The War fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 7, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Node posted:

To my shame, I only played the first mission I could find for it, but it hit the spot for me and the whole thing is a major labor of love, much like the old Thief Fan Missions.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

worthy additions to the list are A Plague Tale, SOMA and GTFO

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I just added The Occupation, Prey and CounterSpy to the list I'll add more at the end of the day.

Node posted:

Honestly all missions I've tried were bangers so I think you're good. You can download missions straight from the game too, not sure if that was how it worked previously.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

haldolium posted:

worthy additions to the list are A Plague Tale, SOMA and GTFO

Can't believe I forgot Plague Tale: Innocence, although it "sort of" ditches the stealth aspect at various points and almost entirely near the end of the game.

Still, it good.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Just want to reiterate that Splinter Cell: Blacklist is solid stealthing in singleplayer or co-op. Personally, I think the crouch walk animation is best in class and has yet to be surpassed by any stealth game. The only bad bits are a small segment in one level (the fps part) and how Sam's character is portrayed.

I would also recommend Wildfire for the list. Stealth with elemental powers. Sneak quietly or set everything on fire.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Brutakas posted:

Just want to reiterate that Splinter Cell: Blacklist is solid stealthing in singleplayer or co-op. Personally, I think the crouch walk animation is best in class and has yet to be surpassed by any stealth game. The only bad bits are a small segment in one level (the fps part) and how Sam's character is portrayed.

I would also recommend Wildfire for the list. Stealth with elemental powers. Sneak quietly or set everything on fire.

Yeah, Blacklist is surprisingly good - I really should replay that. I agree on Sam's portrayal, too. As good as the game is, Sam just isn't quite Sam, without Ironside voicing him. :(
Oh and I also have a fondness for the Splinter Cell: Conviction coop campaign, too. The SP wasn't really anything special, but if you can rope a buddy in, the coop was worth the buy IMO.

I haven't actually seen Wildfire before, pretty sure. Interesting! I'll have to take a look

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Man I love stealth games unreasonably. Thief is great but Dishonored will probably be my favorite always

Thread reminded me to play Styx since I have it from some sale some time.

On another note, the game is sort of janky and I lost interest halfway through, but some might get something out of it: Shadwen

In Shadwen, you play a thief who is doing thiefly things but shortly ends up having to protect a little girl while also doing thiefly things. This leads to a sort of puzzle game as you have to let your charge know when to move, and you also cannot be seen, or its instant game over. That doesn't work for everyone, I know, but it fits the thread and if you can find it on sale its probably worth a try if you're really into the genre.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I only played a bit of it, but Chaos Theory's multiplayer was amazing. Mercs vs spies was A+

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I added the mentioned games to the list, keep 'em coming!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Big Scary Owl posted:

I added the mentioned games to the list, keep 'em coming!

What about Spy Party? You do have to be stealthy, but it's more of a deception, a hiding-in-plain-sight sort of deal.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3njgpoCXuAg

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 8, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's not a "stealth game" per se but I want to give a shoutout to Project Zomboid, which is top-down super-immersive zombie survival sim and somehow weird nostalgic throwback to Ultima Online in many ways (despite not being an MMO) that has been in EA with regular updates for nine years. It's very good, and it's a zombie game that (unless modded/customized in sandbox settings to be more action-oriented) greatly encourages stealth over combat in most situations, but never "forces" stealth - you can usually take on any given small-scale encounter of zombies, but you have to consider at what cost (affecting long-term stealth by alerting more/distant zombies to your presence, destroying the environment, resource cost, etc.)

Open-world isometric sandbox game with zombies makes for some pretty interesting stealth mechanic scenarios - like if you alert too many zombies, you need to find more complex ways to lose them than just "run around a corner and hide" - because they're just going to build up and punch through the wall eventually, and yeah they might not find you after that but over time they erode the buildings surrounding your safehouse and organically open up more pathways (via broken windows/doors/etc) toward your base, which causes noise, attracting more zombies, and it provides more clean LoS to your base which means zombies in the future can see you from further away - so you weave through buildings, hop in and out of windows, use vehicles or noises like yelling or gunshots to herd/lure them away. You can't just "hide until the alert drops" (even though their 'memory' equivalent of an alert system is pretty short by default) because they can and will destruct the environment to get to you. So stealth stops being "how do I avoid being seen/where do I hide once I'm seen" and starts being "how do I manage the times when I'm seen and what do I do to throw the zombies off my trail when it happens?".

It's the kind of game that simulates all kinds of immersive interactions - so you need to cut through a building to throw the zombies off your trail, but the zombies are close behind you and you're struggling to open the window - unsure if it's locked or just stuck. So maybe you decide to smash it instead, the noise draws more zombies of course but then if you hop through without clearing the broken glass, and especially if you're not wearing gloves/boots, you cut yourself and start bleeding - and now you need to manage applying a bandage while continuing your stealth escapades. And not only that but maybe your clothes and body are caked in zombie blood because you haven't washed yourself recently, and if you don't keep that new cut on your hand disinfected and cleanly bandaged you risk infection. So while the actual stealth "action" is slow (unless you turn on sprinting zombies), you have a lot of chaos to manage while stealthing around, and you get to think about the actual stealth more strategically and long-term.

It's more of a "macro stealth" situation where you're trying to keep the sum of your operations over a significant period of times stealthy, rather than a "micro" stealth game where you're micromanaging the stealth mechanics of each encounter, if that makes sense. I've been really enjoying the dynamic recently despite generally not being into stealth games, zombie games, or survival games :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 8, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Warms my heart to see Sly Cooper mentioned. Definitely a very cool mascot game. I feel like it was a series that was easy to miss and I’m eternally glad my younger brother got it for PS2, because I wouldn’t have.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Sentinel is another early stealth puzzler from 1986.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Maybe if I ever finish the Temple of Apshai Trilogy run I'm doing to write about the origin of CRPGs, I'll put some time into the OG Castle Wolfenstein to do the same for Stealth poo poo.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Does janky co-op Clandestine count?
One player is on-the-ground stealth person, the other player is the omnipresent hacker dude.
Also stay out of the ladies Men's restroom.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Does Cyberpunk 2077 count as a stealth game, or an RPG with stealth elements? It's got most of the stealth things in it (distracting guards, crouchwalking, looking through cameras, hugging people from behind and throwing them in refrigerators). The only thing that makes it a non-Deus Ex game is that you don't get XP bonuses for ghosting a place.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Pretty sure ghost bonuses weren't a thing in OG Deus Ex either.

Personally I'm rather fond of the Far Cry games when it comes to action/stealth hybrids.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Desperados 3 is really good and works great with a controller (and thus the steam deck).

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
My personal favorite spy/stealth game is Phantom Doctrine. It's a turn-based tactics game where you usually start your missions in stealth mode and if you do your job right, don't trigger any alarms. If you get noticed, the enemy gets reinforcements and you have to fight your way to a timed extraction point, which gets pretty intense.

There's also spy team management, solving code word connections on a conspiracy corkboard, investigating the main plot, brainwashing spies et cetera. I love this game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/559100/Phantom_Doctrine/

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865558

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Splinter Cell was my first stealth game, but I don't feel it's aged well. If there is a remaster I'd be stoked as hell.

Nthing Invisible Inc and also would highly recommend Mark of the Ninja. Klei Games stays winning.

Volume looks sick, I'd never heard of it before but will have to check it out.

Though stealth isn't the ultimate focus I feel like Sekiro belongs here, too, since stealth is so key to everything that's not a boss fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
after greatly enjoying shadow tactics and desperadoes 3, i went back and tried commandos. i cannot handle how terrible the controls are. unfortunately, the remaster of 2 was apparently even worse. i'll probably try the remaster of 3 some time, since that one at least functions.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Croccers posted:

Does janky co-op Clandestine count?
One player is on-the-ground stealth person, the other player is the omnipresent hacker dude.
Also stay out of the ladies Men's restroom.

Operation Tango is another very good game in this niche

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Shadow Tactics is so fun and also gorgeous

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

after greatly enjoying shadow tactics and desperadoes 3, i went back and tried commandos. i cannot handle how terrible the controls are. unfortunately, the remaster of 2 was apparently even worse. i'll probably try the remaster of 3 some time, since that one at least functions.
Wasn't 3 the weird one of the games?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Remembering the time I randomly booted up Commandos Strike Force and had no clue what I was doing whatsoever. I'm assuming that game was not particularly well regarded to begin with.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

beer gas canister posted:

Shadow Tactics is so fun and also gorgeous

Shadow Tactics and its stand-alone not-really-a-sequel Aiko's Choice are both amazing, I put them as top tier stealth games of any genre but definitely the best top-down strategy one I've ever played.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Very few games have scratched the itch for my like Dishonored has. Arkane in general just does great work - it's not a stealth game but I'm very much looking forward to Redfall.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Croccers posted:

Wasn't 3 the weird one of the games?

by my understanding 3 is the one no one liked, so naturally it is the one that got a competent remaster. whatever, i'll still try it out. that's what steam refunds are for.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

by my understanding 3 is the one no one liked, so naturally it is the one that got a competent remaster. whatever, i'll still try it out. that's what steam refunds are for.
Yeah I thought so, the weird one when you can go into buildings and made the characters more interchangable?
It's on Gamepass if you have/use that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i'm not feeling it. the controls are still sort of convoluted (why the heck does every single item you can pick up get its own dedicated hotkey?), but not unbearably so. i just don't like how it plays.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Did Sly Cooper have actually good/fun stealth mechanics, or do people remember it more as just a fun mascot platformer with a stealth theme?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I only played the first but it was fun. Pretty simple stealth but you get a lot of fun platforming to mix it up which helps out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The first game was a 3D platformer with some light stealth mechanics. The next two put a higher emphasis on stealth but they're still games for kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Filcher I gave up on a fair way in, there's no in-level saves at all so it's difficult to experiment and get a handle on the stealth rules. For minimalist first-person-indie-stealth, I preferred Neon Struct

There should be a load of Thief 2 fan missions appearing in a couple of weeks time as - erk - it's the 10 year anniversary of the NewDark patch.