Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Kay: white deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
Casey

As the looming figure of the cop approaches, Casey takes a good, long look at his face. There's something incredibly unsettling about his scarring, even to Casey, who is the least squeamish of the group. It must have been one hell of an injury, with one hell of a story behind it.

Black and white deck, please!

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Mac

I feel my stomach drop and a bolt of panic zips up my spine. "Oh poo poo, HIM?? He was the meanest motherfucker when I was a kid," I mutter, hoping everyone hears before he gets within hearing range. I clench my hands on the steering wheel and brace myself.

black & white deck please

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Casey

"I certainly hope you guys all have your seat belts on," he prompts the others pointedly as the cop nears.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Kay

Oh gently caress where did this guy even came from? Is that what they do to people out in the boonies? Holy hell, y'all, please behave, let's get this over with... as painlessly as possible.

(Muttering under breath so only the car hears him) If needed, I have cash, too. Whatever it takes.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Shellception posted:

Kay

(Muttering under breath so only the car hears him) If needed, I have cash, too. Whatever it takes.

how much cash, Kay?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

sephiRoth IRA posted:

how much cash, Kay?

About $500? Seems like a guy who won't go out unprepared, and also isn't hurting for it so...

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Casey

"Or maybe, Tony should offer him some stuff, and they can become best buds, heh." Casey isn't really winning any awards with his sense of humor.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Mac

*I have a bad feeling Tony has more than weed in that bag* as she watches him squirm around. "Hey you look guilty as poo poo, cut it out," she says quietly as she turns to face him sitting behind Casey.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Casey

"gently caress," Casey mutters as he comes to a sudden realization. "Quit pushing your poo poo under my seat," he hisses at Tony. "I'm not taking the blame for it."

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Grace

Grace tries as hard as she can to focus on her book, but her mind is not processing anything she reads.

Gonna go against the flow and pick the blue deck

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Frank

Frank looks into his boyscout survival kit to see if there would be anything helpful in this situation and quickly realizes there isn't. He chooses to just stare out of the window and wait and see what happens.

I will go with the black and white deck

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tony

Tony puts on his most winning smile.

Black and white deck and blue deck

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Casey

Casey thinks to himself that Tony looks like a stoned deer caught in headlights. He decides to shelve any further commentary and watches the fearsome cop quietly.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

oh wait black and white is two different decks isn’t it… just black then

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Hal Insandenza posted:

oh wait black and white is two different decks isn’t it… just black then

I think the first deck is multicolored and the second one is B&W. I had to zoom into the image to check, lol.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
one is blue, one is white and black. We can shorthand to blue and white, if that works for you all? Apologies for image color/quality

Tony, would you like one from each?

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Does each deck of cards contain 52 + 6, or is that the sum total of both combined?

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

WindwardAway posted:

Does each deck of cards contain 52 + 6, or is that the sum total of both combined?

Wait, that was a dumb question lol, I guess that's each deck. Since we're 6 players and can pull a maximum of 2 jokers each before we go boom.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Each deck contains a standard 52 + 6 jokers. Enough to kill everyone, basically. Eventually one deck will have fewer jokers and thus may be "safer" but the distributions are random

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

one is blue, one is white and black. We can shorthand to blue and white, if that works for you all? Apologies for image color/quality

Tony, would you like one from each?

Actually make it 2 blue

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

gonna play around with how I post these- might mix images and just text. Also might not bother spoiling early on- it'll be more effective later when people are at risk. Thanks for being (friendly and patient) guinea pigs! :)

Kay: two of clubs (fail) - you feel the sudden urge that you need to be the one doing the talking

Casey: three of diamonds (fail) - does the cop seem like a guy who might appreciate some levity, or is your body going to shut down instead?

Mac: QUEEN of diamonds (pass) - You weren't speeding. In fact you're pretty sure it's 45 all the way down into town. This rear end in a top hat has nothing on you.

Grace: four of hearts (fail) - you feel an intense desire to capitulate. The truth shall set you free?

Frank: ten of diamonds (pass) - nobody's going to pay attention to you, probably, not with Kay willing to speak up

Tony: jack of diamonds (extra pull!!) - nine of clubs - seven of spades (a miraculous pass) - you find some weird internal zen, and damned if that cop doesn't just pass you by

The Sheriff wrong-foots both Mac and Casey by approaching on the passenger side. He thumps the window and you hear him say through Mac's open side

roll it down

His voice brings to mind thick, brackish water gurgling out onto broken asphalt, or perhaps a charred, sticky clot coughed out of lungs through which 300,000 unfiltered camels hosed their way through; either way it sounds like the voice of a personified infection, raspy and low.

Casey: the face is worse up close. You struggle for a moment to get the window down and when you do the Sheriff blows a cloud of smoke directly into your face. If he notices any bother on the part of the passengers as the smoke passes into the car, well, he doesn't appear to give a poo poo.

He waits a beat, eyeballing you all, and then speaks.

where's the fire, sweetheart?

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 28, 2022

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Casey

Keep your cool, Casey tells himself as he feels his pulse rate increase. With his window now open, the smoke from the cop's unfiltered cigarette rushes in, while the rival smoke from inside the car trickles out in exchange. Fortunately—or unfortunately—the cop is more focused on Casey than he is on whatever Tony has done.

Casey opens his mouth to speak, but no sound comes out, and instead he inhales a stinging lungful of smoke that sends him coughing violently. His eyes water, and he gasps as he struggles to get a fresh breath of air. Once the coughing fit passes, he looks up again at the marred, unfriendly face in the window. By now, the opportunity to lighten up the mood has long passed, so he answers the cop in earnest.

"We weren't speeding," he blurts out impulsively, eyeing the unpleasant man.

It occurs to Casey that maybe someone else should do the talking, because he's a bit too unnerved.

You put ten of diamonds for Mac but I think you mixed up her pull with Frank's...?

WindwardAway fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 28, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

WindwardAway posted:

You put ten of diamonds for Mac but I think you mixed up her pull with Frank's...?

:doh:

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Mac

*Who is this pig calling sweetheart??* I see red for a millisecond before I tamp down that bubble of rage and speak past Casey's head as he shrinks back against the headrest.

"Hi Officer, is there a problem? There's no fire, we're just heading to my grandparent's cabin for a few days. You might not remember me, I'm Albert and Wilma's granddaughter, Mackenzie?" *probably doesn't give a poo poo but here's hoping...* I think to myself.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Grace

Grace does her best to look anywhere except the cop's face. Without realizing it, she finds herself looking at the ground in front of Tony's seat, then realizes she shouldn't be looking there either. She settles for looking down into her lap. "There's no fire. We're all fine here," she says to the book.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Kay

"This is stupid. He's just a police officer, isn't he? So what if he looks ugly as sin? I hope he doesn't have a sense of smell, either" - Kay hasn't stopped muttering to himself since the car stopped.

Raising his voice from the back, he cuts off Mac and does his best to call attention to himself.

"HEY! HEY! OFFICER! Please, here! Mind telling me what's the problem?"

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Casey

The longer the cop's intimidating face leers at Casey through the window, the farther down he slides in his seat involuntarily. He can feel the seatbelt cutting into his neck now, but he remains comically slouched as Kay speaks up in the back. He's half certain the cop will raise his voice and spit his response over Casey's head instead of moving around to the back window, but it's probably for the better, since there's no way he's going to catch a glimpse of Tony's stash under the seat from here.

WindwardAway fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 28, 2022

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Just what does that stash have? We may be better off trying to get the cop to party with us :roflolmao:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I'm going to assume at a minimum some marijuana, but yeah, Tony, anything different and or harder?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Frank

Frank kicks Kay in the shin and mutters "what the hell are you doing" under his breath at him. Frank is also confused why everyone is so concerned about the not-even-illegal stash Tony has when this absolutely hideous beast of a cop is about the most frightening thing Frank has ever seen. He definitely does NOT want the cop turning his attention to the back of the car, even if he's pretty sure they aren't in any actual legal trouble at this point.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hey man, I don't party that hard, it's just some booze and an absurd amount of weed

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
The Sheriff stares impassively as Casey tosses out an answer to an unasked question. He leans in to a meaty forearm on the door and blows another plume of smoke into Casey's face.

i'll be the judge of that now, won't i boy

When both Grace and Mac say there's no fire, the cop waits a beat. He looks for a moment at Grace, head cocked to one side, as if sizing her up.

Mac's mention of her grandparents, however, brings him back.

one of Wilma's? must be from the decayed line. well, welcome back to lodestone. i suppose it's been awhile, as you seem to have a disregard for-

Kay, speaking, yelling from the back cuts him off. You all wait awkwardly as the Sheriff rises and walks slowly around the back of the car to the driver side, stopping at Kay's door.

He opens it. Stares Kay in the face.

Kay and Frank: the guy has a pistol that looks impossibly large on his hip. A loving Dirty Harry gun. Bullets as big as your fingers probably.

you got something to say?

just some ooc background, I am very aware that this is not necessarily normal police procedure, and I want you to know that Kilgore absolutely doesn't care

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Casey

Tensing up as the cop snarls back at him, Casey wishes he hadn't opened his mouth in the first place. As Kilgore blabs disapprovingly at Mac, Casey keeps quiet and puts on a poker face despite his rapidly fraying nerves. Having realized he's been holding his breath, he lets out a small sigh of relief when the man marches away — only to reappear on the other side of the car, yanking open the door to intimidate the backseat passengers instead.

Holy loving poo poo, Casey thinks to himself as he eyes the cop through the side mirror — and the firearm at his hip, this guy is a monster.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

yay just watch out I'm gonna get us all killed somehow :V

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Shellception posted:

yay just watch out I'm gonna get us all killed somehow :V

I like how Tony of all people is cool as beans right now

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

WindwardAway posted:

I like how Tony of all people is cool as beans right now

well I mean he had some "help" relaxing, now he just gotta remain in a higher plane of existence for a while lol

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Kay

Holy poo poo this is a big motherfucker

Kay does his best to look nonchalant. He has done his fair sharing of dealing with cops in the past - a long family name goes a long name with them. This guy looks like a beast, but still, he is just a cop... isn't he?

He tries to keep his voice straight, and as posh as he can manage.

"Yeah. I can't hear a thing from this back seat, and I want to know, why exactly did we get pulled?"

Edit: accidentally posessed Tony here for a sec, sorry, carry on

Shellception fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 28, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
The cop extends his hand and pulls his fingers in one smooth gesture towards his chest.

out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Oh boy, they're really in for it now, RIP Kay