Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i never considered the caloric angle of tuna in oil. still gross, i can only do water

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Every time we had a meal including gravy, my grandparents would literally have a side of white bread smothered in gravy. Cheap calories from back when you burned 4-5000 calories a day on the farm.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

rndmnmbr posted:

Chicken leg quarters are always cheap. Mix a can or two of cream of mushroom with rice and a little water, put the leg quarters on top, bake until done. For some reason, no matter how much salt you add before it cooks, it will always need more when done.

This reminds me of a childhood favorite. Giant can of Cream of Mushroom soup, ground meat (beef or turkey depending on what was cheapest) and then dump that on some spaghetti noodles.

My mother also used to cook me a huge pot of rice, then throw whole milk, cinnamon and sugar in there. Eat it hot and it was kind of like a cross between oatmeal and rice pudding. Usually get a week of breakfast out of that.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

rndmnmbr posted:

Spaghetti in general, or at least when ground beef was cheap.

lmao

our entire brand is in shambles! it's in our fuckin name! what are we going to do?!??!

----------------

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao :(

----------------

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

lmao

our entire brand is in shambles! it's in our fuckin name! what are we going to do?!??!

Are you kidding me? That poo poo is like two bucks a box, and requires milk. That's for rich people.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

those dollar tubes of chorizo paste with eggs and potatoes in a tortilla

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

coffee at every break and you mix in a hot chocolate packet because it's 100+ calories and sure it's not much but it's something

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I like dipping chips into spaghetti-O's and I rest on this hill.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

thanks to inflation and climate change in another decade all the foods listed here will be considered delicacies

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Fleetwood posted:

spaghetti + butter

This post made me recall how often during my childhood the only “snack” to be had was noodles with butter. And how many school lunches that got packed for me were just a peanut butter sandwich on one slice of bread, so half a sandwich. Maybe a juice box, but nothing else. And the gravy on bread thing, that was dinner pretty often, too :smith:

e: guess I shouldn’t say often on that last one, but frequently enough, at least.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 27, 2022

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
pasta with marmite is the go to for me always

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Fleetwood posted:

spaghetti + butter

counterpoint: egg noodles w/ corn

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Chief McHeath posted:

This post made me recall how often during my childhood the only “snack” to be had was noodles with butter. And how many school lunches that got packed for me were just a peanut butter sandwich on one slice of bread, so half a sandwich. Maybe a juice box, but nothing else. And the gravy on bread thing, that was dinner pretty often, too :smith:

e: guess I shouldn’t say often on that last one, but frequently enough, at least.

My brother and I were lucky enough to qualify for the free lunch program, and also attend a school that had little old lunch ladies with decades of experience who knew what tasted good, back before Aramark conquered all. So our lunches were almost always kickass.

Snack at home? Lol. To this day I am so loving burned out on eggs. Didn't like dinner? Sneak into the kitchen after bedtime, open a can of vegetables I liked with a load of margarine, make do until the next day.

(Rant incoming)

And you know what made every loving bite stick in my throat? My mom and stepdad had the checkbook, and anytime they wanted a snack, they just went to the store and got it, and wrote a hot check for it. And then when payday rolled around, spent an ever increasing amount of money covering hot checks, leaving less and less for things like groceries, until they were so deep in the poo poo my grandparents had to bail them out, again. "Oh, we couldn't afford many groceries this month, I'm sorry. We'll just have to tighten our belts this month, I promise next month will be better and we can buy some snacks" AAAARGH NO YOU'RE THE REASON WE'RE IN THIS MESS! I hope that $30 bottle of Dr. Pepper and bag of chips was loving worth it!

*pants*

...So yeah, I may have some food security issues.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

When I was growing up we had canned peas, potato patties and canned salmon patties on the reg. I'll never forget the salmon bones.

In between government cheese grilled cheese sandwiches.

*Barf*

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Don’t hate on grilled cheese.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

rndmnmbr posted:

(Rant incoming)

And you know what made every loving bite stick in my throat? My mom and stepdad had the checkbook, and anytime they wanted a snack, they just went to the store and got it, and wrote a hot check for it. And then when payday rolled around, spent an ever increasing amount of money covering hot checks, leaving less and less for things like groceries, until they were so deep in the poo poo my grandparents had to bail them out, again. "Oh, we couldn't afford many groceries this month, I'm sorry. We'll just have to tighten our belts this month, I promise next month will be better and we can buy some snacks" AAAARGH NO YOU'RE THE REASON WE'RE IN THIS MESS! I hope that $30 bottle of Dr. Pepper and bag of chips was loving worth it!

*pants*

...So yeah, I may have some food security issues.

Yep. There was always beer, cocaine, and smokes, but god forbid the kids have a second glass of milk.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Cheese + BBQ sauce + ruffles.

Picking cactus fruit off the neighbor's cacti that went into our side of the lawn and getting poked a million times and making cactusade. Same with lemons I guess.

pandy fackler posted:

those dollar tubes of chorizo paste with eggs and potatoes in a tortilla

By default chorizo was mixed with eggs in my household to the point the whole thing was called "chorizo." I was really confused a few years ago when chorizo started to get popular and it was just a catch-all term for mexican sausage. I guess sausage+egg=chorizo was just a california thing.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

at my poorest i was renting a room and couldnt cook so i went to a buffet that was $8 and absolutely gorged myself and snuck some food to take with. Then i'd skip a day and i'd come back 48hrs after the first meal. so it was 3.5 buffet trips/week

I don't know if it's the same now post pandemic where takeout at buffets has become more common but the Lin's Asian Buffet policy was if you wanted a plate to go, they weighed your food. I don't know what the dollar per pound ratio was but I could get two separate meals out of $3.50 and the regular buffet was like $13.00 with a drink.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Rick fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 31, 2022

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rick posted:

By default chorizo was mixed with eggs in my household to the point the whole thing was called "chorizo." I was really confused a few years ago when chorizo started to get popular and it was just a catch-all term for mexican sausage. I guess sausage+egg=chorizo was just a california thing.

I think that's super common, and not specifically a California thing or, considering the thread title, a "poverty food" thing, but just a typical thing. I guess "chorizo" is technically the sausage, but if I ordered a breakfast chorizo burrito and there was no egg involved without it saying otherwise, I would understand but still be surprised, because it's so expected. I'm not trying to talk semantics here, just saying that yeah, I think that's usually the norm in many areas.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Around here chorizo is just one of the 8 or so meats you can get at the Mexican street carts for your tacos or tortas. It's just spicy ground sausage.

But if you do go to a mexican restaurant and they happen to have a breakfast offering, it always has chorizo. Dual purpose meat, i guess.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

the dirt cheap mystery meat chorizo tubes you can literally buy at the dollar store are definitely poverty food. maybe they're gourmet or exotic outside of california idk

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

----------------

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Salivary glands is the number 1 ingredient? Lol how big are cow salivary glands wtf

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Can’t make decent chili without a tube of pork chorizo :ese:

----------------

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
im salivaryting right now thinkin bout hockin that in some eggs

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It sounds worse than it is, especially to north american sensibilities.

That poo poo is packed with flavour.

----------------

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It sounds worse than it is, especially to north american sensibilities.

That poo poo is packed with flavour.

*hucking salivary glands and lymphnodes into a plastic bucket* sir our sausage is so bland, but it's impossible to make it better and we don't know why

----------------

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You somehow managed to bungle over the tongue and cheek parts, which are incredibly tender and popular.

----------------

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Chorizo de lengua, por favor

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

One of my staples lately has been these frozen pierogis from the bargain market. It’s $3 for a two pound bag which imo is a pretty good price. All they need is a bunch of mayo for dipping and if im feeling ritzy enough some cheese to melt on top

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been going on a noodle cup spree for lunches trying a different flavor every day for the past two months. You better loving believe I could disarm a bomb with chopsticks now.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
we live in an instant noodle golden age.

----------------

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

I've been going on a noodle cup spree for lunches trying a different flavor every day for the past two months. You better loving believe I could disarm a bomb with chopsticks now.

Any flavor recommendations?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Philthy posted:

Make a thread. We need to know about the noodle cups.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i used to be able to get these things for 50 cents. now they want a dollar. assholes

----------------

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Honestly, they're almost all the same, just different levels of spice.

I think Nissin Cup Noodles has the best non-spicy flavors so far. Anything they put out I've liked. They've got regular cups, and large cups.

However, they also have a "Stir Fry Rice with Noodles" cup, which is probably the only one I've had that was radically different between the millions out there. Because rice. And it's more of a sauce than a soup.

We have an Asian food mall that has just a ton of noodles. I've had to use the translate app on some of them to figure out the cooking times, and when to add one of the five packets some of them come with. But, they really do all taste the same. Some more fishy or beefy than others etc.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 23, 2022

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
the tapatio instant noodle cup line is choice

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I just want one of those Japanese cup noodle vending machines installed in my kitchen, with all the weird flavors like salt, or cheese curry, or tonkatsu miso.

Maybe throw in some of the weird Korean flavors too, like kimchi with nuclear meltdown levels of heat.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Twenty Four posted:

I think that's super common, and not specifically a California thing or, considering the thread title, a "poverty food" thing, but just a typical thing. I guess "chorizo" is technically the sausage, but if I ordered a breakfast chorizo burrito and there was no egg involved without it saying otherwise, I would understand but still be surprised, because it's so expected. I'm not trying to talk semantics here, just saying that yeah, I think that's usually the norm in many areas.

I almost always see chorizo with egg in breakfast burritoes in my town because we have a high density of hispanics. And then there's the del taco chorizo burritos and the starbucks chorizo breakfast sandwiches. It's popular because it's different and it tastes real good. I don't think prices factor into it at all.

Sure, it might be cheaper, but not as cheap as just not including it on the menu and instead using more egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

rndmnmbr posted:

I just want one of those Japanese cup noodle vending machines installed in my kitchen, with all the weird flavors like salt, or cheese curry, or tonkatsu miso.

Maybe throw in some of the weird Korean flavors too, like kimchi with nuclear meltdown levels of heat.

I got the chapaguri with the face-melting spicy black bean noodles and it's so good. But at $1/bag, I don't consider them to be cheap.