Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

Shadow0 posted:

Don't worry, it's all good. For those basic tasks like looking around or opening doors or whatever where failure is basically impossible, you don't need to roll anything. For like searching a room or trying to discern is someone is lying to you or making difficult jumps across raging rivers or whatever, then you need to roll.

Awesome. Thanks for being so welcoming! Just trying my best not to steamroll or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

fps_nug posted:

Awesome. Thanks for being so welcoming! Just trying my best not to steamroll or anything

No problem! It's the DMs top priority to make sure the game is fun for everyone. :keke:
Like I said, I like to run this mini-adventure for new players, so don't fret too much! I'm always happy to help new people get into tabletop gaming. :hfive:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hey, I've been wanting to do some RP for a while now so I'll join up if there's still room! I've only briefly played 5E one or two times before, but I believe I have the books saved in a folder somewhere and plenty of friends to help me build a level 1 PC

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Hey, I've been wanting to do some RP for a while now so I'll join up if there's still room! I've only briefly played 5E one or two times before, but I believe I have the books saved in a folder somewhere and plenty of friends to help me build a level 1 PC

If the other players are okay with it, I'd say there's still space.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I remember Soonmot from back in the olden days, they're nice (mostly). I'm okay with them joining for what that's worth.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
:getin:

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Shadow0 posted:

If the other players are okay with it, I'd say there's still space.

Works for me.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Shadow0, what world/pantheon is this. I feel like I should probably know the name of my god/goddess?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Shadow0, what world/pantheon is this. I feel like I should probably know the name of my god/goddess?

I always go with the one with Pelor and Vecna and them, which I think it Greyhawk?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Seems like the "yay"s have it! Roll up a character and claim they were in the bathroom, or maybe you're just someone from the crowd who saw a bunch of people enter a hole and felt left out.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I always go with the one with Pelor and Vecna and them, which I think it Greyhawk?

Okay if it's Greyhawk my god would be Celestian.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Okay if it's Greyhawk my god would be Celestian.

Yes, sounds good!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also, I need a token for everyone's character to put on the map.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

But here is my picture of Danyl:

Here is my token:

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 26, 2022

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Is this okay? Sorry it's so big, i thought it was smaller.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Ignore that this is better. I used https://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/ to tokenize it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'll just crop the dnd beyond headshot.

Oh God, lol. He's skeezy af.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Ignore that this is better. I used https://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/ to tokenize it.

Thanks for the url, I appreciate it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I cleaned them up a bit.

Danyl

Murtha

Rolland

Let me know if you want me to change anything.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

Seems like the "yay"s have it! Roll up a character and claim they were in the bathroom, or maybe you're just someone from the crowd who saw a bunch of people enter a hole and felt left out.

Awesome, I hadn't seen that you had started when I posted, so I'm really appreciative. I'll have a character up tonight once I take a nap and look through everyone's sheets.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Awesome, I hadn't seen that you had started when I posted, so I'm really appreciative. I'll have a character up tonight once I take a nap and look through everyone's sheets.

It's fine, they've barely made it 10 feet. XD

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Feel free to use anything for my token!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/86643681

This is Sunny the druid, she was raised by bears deep in the woods and gained fame as a folk hero after negotiating a truce between a nearby human village and a goblin warren. Now the two communities are working together for everyone's benefit. She left her woods after coming back to her cave and finding her bear family slain. They weren't even skinned, ruling out hunters, Sunny will not rest until she finds the killers.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 27, 2022

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Danyl

Murtha

Rolland

Sunny

Ung

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I will edit in the characters and character sheets and tokens into the OP. Eventually.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
ung is turning out to be a real doofus

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

it's just a level 1 thing, we're all doofy

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
So, being new to this, Soonmot/Sunny can go first if that's cool with them, easier to learn that way

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

fps_nug posted:

So, being new to this, Soonmot/Sunny can go first if that's cool with them, easier to learn that way

If you look on your character sheet in dnd beyond at the actions tab, it'll give you an idea what you can do.

You can move, action and bonus action every time you come up in initiative, this is called a turn.

So for example you can move (up to 30ft) up to the spot beside Sunny and use your action to fire your shortbow. The creature probably has some cover so it'd be harder to hit from here but you'd be in less danger. You don't really have any bonus actions relevant so that would be your turn.
You could also use your action to hide (roll your stealth skill) and then move up and that would be another example of an turn.
You also have a thing called a reaction which can be used for a variety of things. In this case you could use your reaction to ready your bow and shoot as soon as the creature came from behind the corner. This would also use up your action for the turn but you would fire on it's turn rather than your own. You get one reaction every turn and you can use it on your turn or someone else's turn depending on the action you take.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Would hiding give him advantage? If you have advantage n a roll, nug, you get to roll twice and take the better result. Opposite is true if you have disadvantage.

Edit: do you want us to keep OOC questions in this thread of they're not part of a charcter post?

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

Soonmot posted:

Would hiding give him advantage? If you have advantage n a roll, nug, you get to roll twice and take the better result. Opposite is true if you have disadvantage.

Edit: do you want us to keep OOC questions in this thread of they're not part of a charcter post?

I was thinking since I'm already over in the east end and the slime is in the west, having my back against the wall would allow me to use sneak attack with the bow? totally feel free to correct for me if I'm misreading the situation.

So sorry for slowing the pacing btw!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

sneak attack will trigger anyway because i'm within 5ft of the slime, if you were hidden you would also get advantage but that would be in the next turn and it'd depend on whether or not your stealth roll is higher than their perception

don't stress about pacing, just have fun and post when you can

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
So this is what I've prepared -

Ung hides (rolling 13+5) and approaches the corner near Sunny. Drawing his short bow, he quickly breaks cover from the wall and fires an arrow at the slime.

edit:

sneak attack will trigger anyway because i'm within 5ft of the slime, if you were hidden you would also get advantage but that would be in the next turn and it'd depend on whether or not your stealth roll is higher than their perception

Ooh, okay, so I should just do the hiding and approaching part?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Hide will use up your action so you will only be able to attack on the next turn. Other than that, should be fine except for that roll lol.

If you're rolling with advantage on DnD beyond you can right click on the thing you want to roll and select advantage (or disadvantage as needed). It's a time saver.

As a rogue you will be able to hide as a bonus action in a level or two, which would allow you to do what you did there.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Alright I think I'm getting it now! I'm gonna peruse the players handbook a tad.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

It's a bit complicated. In general, it's not easy to hide yourself and also approach something to attack.

For OOC questions, I guess it's good to post here. It keeps the main thread just the story for anyone trying to read through it.

The slower the pace the less work I have to do!

fps_nug posted:

Ooh, okay, so I should just do the hiding and approaching part?

I don't know how effective hiding will be against a creature with no eyes or ears, but you're certainly welcome to try!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Phone posting but only scored a 9 on my nature roll. Is there anything in the rubble pile I can use as a club?

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 30, 2022

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Shadow8 can I suggest you put in some letters and numbers on the map so it's easier to tell you where we're moving etc.

Like current map Sunny is E2, Danyl D4, Ung E5, Rolland E7 and Murtha D9.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Phone posting but only scored a 9 on my nature roll. Is there anything in the rubble pile I can use as a club?

This probably belongs in the other thread - if you still care to make the roll.

Shadow8 can I suggest you put in some letters and numbers on the map so it's easier to tell you where we're moving etc.

Like current map Sunny is E2, Danyl D4, Ung E5, Rolland E7 and Murtha D9.

That's a good idea, I'll update the maps when I get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
By the way, you can use https://lpix.org/ for hosting your images. It's for goons and it's really quick and easy to upload to.