Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've been making my through with maximum DAKKA (gunship) and I've been enjoying this tremendously. The marriage of high intensity combat and exploring every square km of an area are great for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is there a way to update the level on a legendary gun?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Nope, they're fixed. The level 20 one I Got eventually became obsolete.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Hit lvl 15 with the gunship but I think I prefer the interceptor. Is there variation in the ship stats within the same ship-type and level? The wiki doesn't seem to say that but I thought there's some randomization to it when the ship dealers refresh their stock.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Pen Expers posted:

Hit lvl 15 with the gunship but I think I prefer the interceptor. Is there variation in the ship stats within the same ship-type and level? The wiki doesn't seem to say that but I thought there's some randomization to it when the ship dealers refresh their stock.

Every ship type has about four tiers and every tier has the same stats for that ship. The only thing that could change are the passives (esp. with one of the later companion perks). Watch out: tier 3 has 3 AND 3+ (which is more expensive and better).

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Are there ever usable drones other than the drone boat ones and the sticky turret?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

FrickenMoron posted:

Nope, they're fixed. The level 20 one I Got eventually became obsolete.

RIP i should have known about a not doing all of the side quests in a certain area until level cap but oh well

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

From what ive read all legendaries can be found again at max level so you dont have to wait unless you just dont want to go through the bother of farming new ones.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Here are the three quests which reward you with legendaries, if you want to minmax (imo this is 100% not needed, but you do you) including which legendary you get - it seems to be fixed. Random legendary drops are rifts or Nightmare difficulty only, I think?

Same Day Delivery - gives Crimson Sun (flak gun)
Detoxification - gives Cassiel's Protection (shield)
Gang Wars III - gives The Pigeon's Stare (beam gun)

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Anyone know how moddable this thing is? I'm certainly enjoying it but I'd enjoy it a lot more flying the USS Defiant

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

J33uk posted:

Anyone know how moddable this thing is? I'm certainly enjoying it but I'd enjoy it a lot more flying the USS Defiant

I'm hoping it's relatively simple to add weapon types. I'd like to see more sets. Collecting sets is fun for me, and I honestly like the Bloodstar stuff.

Are there additional "home bases" at some point?

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Went back to the Interceptor.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

This game really makes me want to find a way to reinstall Freelancer but I imagine it wont be as fun as I remember it being.

Any advice on how to pick a ship type or synergies between warfare gear and equipment?

I'm at the very start in Ceto and just got the option to buy a new ship but I chose not to do so because I'm doing well enough sniping everything with the railgun or flak gun and hitting anything else up close with the chainguns. I've rarely had to use missiles and I forgot about my ulti. The game gives you a lot of buttons to press but so far what I've learned is it's generally a better idea to get into long range engagements, picking off enemies 1 by 1 with high powered guns than it is to actually jump into the thick of it where you can quickly get chewed up into nothing. Wondering if any other equipment loadouts and tactics are viable just to shake things up a bit.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Buying a new ship allows you to carry an extra weapon which is nice.

Also finally found a flak gun and it does indeed own.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kraftwerk posted:

This game really makes me want to find a way to reinstall Freelancer but I imagine it wont be as fun as I remember it being.

I played through it again last year. It's still good but it's more basic than you remember and the last few missions of the campaign are pretty annoying. It's still got the best sense of exploring something cool and new instead of just resource nodes and stations though

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

RBA Starblade posted:

I played through it again last year. It's still good but it's more basic than you remember and the last few missions of the campaign are pretty annoying. It's still got the best sense of exploring something cool and new instead of just resource nodes and stations though

Yeah and I remember losing interest after finishing the main campaign which felt like it gated a lot of the higher end ships and weapons I would've wanted. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't get a Sabre, Titan or Eagle until after you finish the final missions?
There were also a lot of bullet sponge enemies around then.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah and I remember losing interest after finishing the main campaign which felt like it gated a lot of the higher end ships and weapons I would've wanted. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't get a Sabre, Titan or Eagle until after you finish the final missions?

Nope, and the Corsair stuff is gated to the last couple too, though Freelancer has always been about the progression, as much as mods wanted otherwise

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Any advice on how to pick a ship type or synergies between warfare gear and equipment?

I'm at the very start in Ceto and just got the option to buy a new ship but I chose not to do so because I'm doing well enough sniping everything with the railgun or flak gun and hitting anything else up close with the chainguns. I've rarely had to use missiles and I forgot about my ulti. The game gives you a lot of buttons to press but so far what I've learned is it's generally a better idea to get into long range engagements, picking off enemies 1 by 1 with high powered guns than it is to actually jump into the thick of it where you can quickly get chewed up into nothing. Wondering if any other equipment loadouts and tactics are viable just to shake things up a bit.

I'm playing a mid-short ranged Vindicator build right now. It's a heavy fighter with drones, so it's got lots of endurance to compensate for low maneuverability, and the drones act as distractions as well as damage. I dive right into the thick of it and keep moving, since I'm either keeping weapons on a target or chasing down wrecks to heal/regenerate drones. I'm using the perk that starts my shield regen after every kill, and a fast recharging shield to take advantage of that. For weapons I've got the classic Autocannon/Pulse Laser pairing, and I came across a missile that has a 20% chance to shoot a free missile (at 60% power) every time I crit (1 second cooldown I think), which is great. I've used the beam laser, coil gun, and rail gun with it, but I think the "basic" weapons just do a solid job of providing all around coverage where it wants to be fighting.

I'm level 18, and I've never felt outmatched with this build. The Vindicator's ultimate is great--it supercharges your drones for the duration and makes them focus fire on your target lock, and if you don't have your full compliment of five, it gives you five temporarily. The only things that are troublesome are High-Risk sites with either the explosion or mines-on-death modifiers, and that mostly comes down to busy work of constantly needing to rebuild drones from wrecks. I feel like maybe the anti-Missile device with the kills mines mastery might help at least some of that.

But yeah, it's a brawler-pet build that just charges into the thick of it. I think I went into hull once, and I didn't even need to touch my consumables. I haven't tried the others yet for kinda the same reason you cited--I'm really comfortable with this playstyle and not sure how things will translate into a bomber or medium fighter.

I desperately want the Wrath of the Fallen cargo hold legendary.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The bomber is good stuff, it regenerates missiles from energy rather than requiring a reload from station, so you can just blast away as long as your core keeps up. The ult is a BFG, basically. I switched to vindicator which makes things much easier up close and clears stuff faster, but the bomber is a safer playstyle.

I'm playing on gamepass and i think im gonna wait for a patch before finishing it. Every third cutscene will refuse to play and i had a water mission that absolutely tanked my framerate in a clearly "something is broken" fashion. Apparently these are known issues that are fixed on the steam version.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kraftwerk posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

Nope, and the Corsair stuff is gated to the last couple too, though Freelancer has always been about the progression, as much as mods wanted otherwise
There's always the Crossfire mod, which has its own big post-Freelancer campaign.

...That I've never actually even gotten to. One of these days.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I also quite like the gunship. It's kinda slow and the resilience is only sort of middling, but the firepower is absolutely amazing and will melt anything including bosses in a matter of seconds. Four beam lasers at once get it done. The automated gun turret is also pretty nice for taking down pesky drones while you focus down the big stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The support item that lets you blink is a must have for the slower ships like gunship, bomber, and drone ship. I love the drone ship (vindicator) as it feels like I'm playing a necromancer in D2.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

The support item that lets you blink is a must have for the slower ships like gunship, bomber, and drone ship. I love the drone ship (vindicator) as it feels like I'm playing a necromancer in D2.

I've been using a Bloodstar booster for way longer than its shelf life, and it feels like between the +50% speed on kill and sheer depth of its energy reserves, I can practically hold down boost and scoot around with enough speed to keep up with what the game is throwing at me.

I'm using EMP, Corrosive Injection, Virus, and Nano-thingy-that-repairs-percent-damage right now in mine. But maybe I'll mix things up a bit soon.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The bomber is good stuff, it regenerates missiles from energy rather than requiring a reload from station, so you can just blast away as long as your core keeps up. The ult is a BFG, basically. I switched to vindicator which makes things much easier up close and clears stuff faster, but the bomber is a safer playstyle.

I'm playing on gamepass and i think im gonna wait for a patch before finishing it. Every third cutscene will refuse to play and i had a water mission that absolutely tanked my framerate in a clearly "something is broken" fashion. Apparently these are known issues that are fixed on the steam version.

I got through the entire campaign with that bad boy. It's got sluggish movement but with three sets of missile loadouts, each with their own energy reserves, it's a beast. Cruise missiles are almost too strong, their slow tracking and movement is the only counterbalance to that, you have to pick targets you're confident will stand fairly still.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yeah this is where i landed too on the gamepass version, apparently the dev says ms has them held up in certification so they are a patch or two behind for that ver

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I was pretty negative on cruise missiles when I first tried them since they kept missing and I was using marksman cruise for the 'kill at 4000m' challenge. Against non-alerted enemies just doing lazy patrol donuts, no less. I was a little salty. But later I got some really nice ones and put them in my third slot figuring I could give them a try on capital ships. And proceeded to one-shot a high-risk boss destroyer with them.

so uh, cruise good???

Corrosive mines are also nothing to sleep on. They have good range, good damage, and you can always drag enemies into them because they chase you so just flip a 180 and pop a few mines. Arguably better than corrosive missiles.

for the combat challenges to complete a high-risk contract without firing a primary, without using devices or ults, and without armor/shield installed -- well first, don't do all three of these at once. Really, don't. But a Vindicator with a pile of corrosive mines in the hold did wonders. Drones and mine spam is incredibly strong.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do corrosive missiles damage ships that don't have a shield? I swear I kept seeing "immune" pop up and they took no damage. Or is it a dot and it seemed like it was doing no damage at that instant?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Psion posted:

Here are the three quests which reward you with legendaries, if you want to minmax (imo this is 100% not needed, but you do you) including which legendary you get - it seems to be fixed. Random legendary drops are rifts or Nightmare difficulty only, I think?

Same Day Delivery - gives Crimson Sun (flak gun)
Detoxification - gives Cassiel's Protection (shield)
Gang Wars III - gives The Pigeon's Stare (beam gun)

This is correct. I finished the game recently and I thought it was really good overall, but I feel like they really missed the mark with the management of legendary weapons. Could really elevate the game to have them drop throughout normally, even exceptionally rarely.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do corrosive missiles damage ships that don't have a shield? I swear I kept seeing "immune" pop up and they took no damage. Or is it a dot and it seemed like it was doing no damage at that instant?

Corrosive targets health directly, bypassing shields and armor, so they should? I don't know if enemies can be immune to it. It is a DOT and does take a second to start ticking, though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Psion posted:

Corrosive targets health directly, bypassing shields and armor, so they should? I don't know if enemies can be immune to it. It is a DOT and does take a second to start ticking, though.

That makes the most sense. I was trying to use it for burst damage.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
If you get Web Missiles and stick Marksman on them your cruise missiles will hit their targets after you web them. It's very strong with the bomber. You can just cycle the missiles for every target and not worry about waiting for the web missiles to hit because cruise flies slower.

At around lvl 26 I had enough to buy the final ship tier and I went for Vindicator. It's relatively safe and effective but kinda boring.

I beat the game but I may run an ancient rift or two for fun. Kinda no point to grinding for legendaries now.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The early systems are very obviously the earliest content they worked on, and feel painfully bland by the time you get 3-4 systems in and see what they were making once they had perfected the art of making crazy cool space environments. Then you go back to Ceto and it's the absolute blandest music and Space_Junk_4.obj environments and it's weirdly jarring. I guess they didn't have time to head back and flesh out the earlier work.

Additionally, they only put in one wing type for the tier 4 ships and never put in more than standard and metallic hull paint types. If they plan an expansion in the future they should fix that at minimum.

The story is dreck by committee with a whole host of OC's they have trouble fitting into the plot after a certain point, which, let's be fair, is the most Freelancer thing about it.

Always get the Fusion Hook once you get to Zharkov. It's in the Ancient Depot.

Don't sleep on the Sentinel, which most people abandon quickly because of its two weapon limit. its passive is a near constant and substantial weapon power boost, and four support devices + downtime warrior and relentless works far too well. Most people abandon the ship type too early.

These are pretty much the only complaints or original observations I have. The game is fun shooty spacey, where you have fun shooty in spacey and it's a good time for a good while.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kavros posted:

The early systems are very obviously the earliest content they worked on, and feel painfully bland by the time you get 3-4 systems in and see what they were making once they had perfected the art of making crazy cool space environments. Then you go back to Ceto and it's the absolute blandest music and Space_Junk_4.obj environments and it's weirdly jarring. I guess they didn't have time to head back and flesh out the earlier work.

Additionally, they only put in one wing type for the tier 4 ships and never put in more than standard and metallic hull paint types. If they plan an expansion in the future they should fix that at minimum.

The story is dreck by committee with a whole host of OC's they have trouble fitting into the plot after a certain point, which, let's be fair, is the most Freelancer thing about it.

Always get the Fusion Hook once you get to Zharkov. It's in the Ancient Depot.

Don't sleep on the Sentinel, which most people abandon quickly because of its two weapon limit. its passive is a near constant and substantial weapon power boost, and four support devices + downtime warrior and relentless works far too well. Most people abandon the ship type too early.

These are pretty much the only complaints or original observations I have. The game is fun shooty spacey, where you have fun shooty in spacey and it's a good time for a good while.

Fusion hook is the batman grapple thing right? I remember looking at it and wondering what I'm supposed to do with it before forgetting about it. In lieu of me trying it out myself, what's so great about it aside from it being a batman hook?

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Fusion hook gameplay: "Get over here" *shotguns*

Or at least that's what I imagine, I haven't gotten that far yet to try it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'mma just watch the video on it, because why outsource my laziness to someone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwHgKhgjts&t=514s

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where do you even get physical cosmetics at anyway I just have one wing cosmetic somehow for my tier 1 vindicator

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Where do you even get physical cosmetics at anyway I just have one wing cosmetic somehow for my tier 1 vindicator

I think I've gotten most of mine from going nuts on High Threats. It feels like there was always at least one cosmetic in the boss loot pinata. That and Location Challenges/puzzles in general.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Warmachine posted:

Fusion hook is the batman grapple thing right? I remember looking at it and wondering what I'm supposed to do with it before forgetting about it. In lieu of me trying it out myself, what's so great about it aside from it being a batman hook?

It is simultaneously the best mobility aide in the game and the best combat device in the game when you set it on Kunai. It has four charges and recovers those charges relatively fast, so you use it to spiderman grapple your way through all but the emptiest of space, on the cheap (the game's process for autotargeting what you spider-grapple to is Very Very Good, so it triples your movespeed through most environments). Which also makes it one of the best escape devices. Then on enemies you use it to pull drones and scouts away from their nest of friends as far away as 5k or so (!) and murder them one on one, which can make even murderous rifts / high risk areas a lot faster and more painless.

On a sentinel you can have boost + teleport + hook + antimissile or front shield, and just go anywhere fast forever and have pretty much double the weapon energy of other ships as a bonus. It's a win-win-win-win.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oh poo poo this is gonna be lit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Baiard posted:

If you get Web Missiles and stick Marksman on them your cruise missiles will hit their targets after you web them. It's very strong with the bomber. You can just cycle the missiles for every target and not worry about waiting for the web missiles to hit because cruise flies slower.

I made a macro for target lock / switch missile 1 / fire / switch missile 2 / fire for this exact combo at this recommendation.

It's very nice.