Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Having just replayed all the games, I think I would actually rank 2 as the weakest. It's definitely the longest and the hardest, but that honestly goes against a lot of what makes the games unique. The underground areas are good in small bursts, but they seriously start to drag on and the level design on them feels like they've been proceeduraly generated it's so blocky and artless. It's still a solid game, but I think the ranking has to be 3>1>2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Impressions:

This is absolutely a Dandori Issue, but sometimes I feel that the disband mechanic doesn't work the way it should. On one occasion I disbanded everything except my blue Pikmin, and as soon as I did the other two types + Oatchi joined up with me again because they were so close to me. Still figuring that out I guess.

Also, the hidden potato in area 1 can go to hell.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MachuPikacchu posted:

Impressions:

This is absolutely a Dandori Issue, but sometimes I feel that the disband mechanic doesn't work the way it should. On one occasion I disbanded everything except my blue Pikmin, and as soon as I did the other two types + Oatchi joined up with me again because they were so close to me. Still figuring that out I guess.

Also, the hidden potato in area 1 can go to hell.

I assume there’s one in every area because I’m at 99% in the second area and that’s the one thing that didn’t pop on the map. I sort of expected it and made Oatchi sniff when I realized what was going on but I just didn’t quite have enough time.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Pretty early to call, but I think this game is big win.

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

I thought the baby snargrets were adorable then they hopped over and devoured a single pikmin faster than any other early game enemy, so now its kill on sight

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I agree that I think Pikmin 2 is the weakest game of the core series. It's definitely not a bad game, and the gameplay loop is fun when you're first starting, but running through samey looking caves and dungeons starts to lose its charm when it's all you're doing at the end. On a recent replay I intended to play the game up to rescuing Louie, but ended up stopping after completing the debt cause I could tell I was getting burnt out on the experience. Still a really good game and I had a lot of fun with it but 1 is definitely the stronger game of the two imo

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Just a heads up for anyone else bothered by the radial menu in 4, there’s a setting in the options menu called “control type” that lets you change it so it makes a selection as soon as you move the stick instead of needing another button press for confirmation.

There’s no description or anything so I didn’t realize what it did at first, but it makes the radial menu feel a lot better.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I think my only complaint with Pikmin 4 is that the dandori challenge in single player still has the split screen interface. It's not too bad on the TV i'm playing on but my wife plays the game on her switch lite and it's almost impossible for her to tell what's going on.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Arrrthritis posted:

I think my only complaint with Pikmin 4 is that the dandori challenge in single player still has the split screen interface. It's not too bad on the TV i'm playing on but my wife plays the game on her switch lite and it's almost impossible for her to tell what's going on.

I didn’t love this either, and I’m playing on a 55 inch TV. I feel like the arena is actually small enough that it’s easier to see your opponent on just a single screen (no need for the split screen to see what they are doing).

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Huh. The blooming part was a mechanic in earlier games but hitting your entire team seems huge.

I spent way too long staring at my Pikmin sprouts in the first stage before giving up, is that thing where their leaf evolves over time gone?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So how are the controls in this one? I really missed the c-stick in 3.

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, 2 was fine but I think the series really shines when you’re juggling multiple tasks and trying to split your army up efficiently, which caves and no time limit don’t really push you towards.

:wrong:

The best part of Pikmin is wandering around the place beating up weirdo critters and then reading up on their ecology in the bestiary. Treasure hunts, puzzles, exploration- all of these pale beside the joys of "what the heck is that thing".

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

:wrong:

The best part of Pikmin is wandering around the place beating up weirdo critters and then reading up on their ecology in the bestiary. Treasure hunts, puzzles, exploration- all of these pale beside the joys of "what the heck is that thing".

I wish they had formatted the bestiary a bit better in the Switch releases of 1 and 2. The huge, horizontally stretched fonts are not a joy to read

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

anybody messing around with the coop? was bummed to hear they took out 2p

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Simsmagic posted:

I agree that I think Pikmin 2 is the weakest game of the core series. It's definitely not a bad game, and the gameplay loop is fun when you're first starting, but running through samey looking caves and dungeons starts to lose its charm when it's all you're doing at the end. On a recent replay I intended to play the game up to rescuing Louie, but ended up stopping after completing the debt cause I could tell I was getting burnt out on the experience. Still a really good game and I had a lot of fun with it but 1 is definitely the stronger game of the two imo

2 feels like a lot of bloat and the caves are most of the gameplay but they're really dull.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Slowpoke! posted:

I don’t like my demo character’s looks. How soon do you think it becomes changeable? Or should I just replay the demo while I wait for the game to unlock…

Unlocked by a second area castaway. Free to change.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just got to the bomb cave in Pikmin 2, with the suicide spiders that fall from the sky. Definitely the absolute worst designed part in the entire series.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Would anyone happen to have an extra code for the Pikmin Bloom costume you get for finishing the demo / playing the game? My wife completed it but unfortunately it said the code was already used. :(

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Haha you can eff off game with remaking submerged castle from Pikmin 2

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Pixeltendo posted:

:shepface:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I love what they’ve done with (stage 2 enemy) the creeping chrysanthemum .

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yeah someone on the dev team really loved Pikmin 2 as there's a lot of enemies and references to it.

I kinda wonder if this game's some kinda alternate timeline to a Pikmin 1 where Olimar never got off the planet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This game is pretty much Pikmin 2 2 and I could not be happier

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my copy of pikmin 4 with the bottle finally came in hell yeab

i 100%'d pikmin 3 deluxe in less than 8 hours, hope pikmin 4 lasts longer

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Playing Pikmin 4 makes me realize just how brutal 1 and 2 were when it came to murdering your minions.

Also Pikmin 2 just isn't the same with the fake brands. Not seeing that big Duracell battery in the first level was a bit of a shock. I imagine it was a licensing thing?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My biggest complaint with 4 so far is there's a lot of stuff that slows the gameplay down, it's not even that big of a complaint because you can just skip it but I appreciate Pikmin 1 for being so straight forward, you get the landing cutscene at the beginning of the day and then it's all gameplay until the end of the day cutscene. You have some minor charts you can look at, save, then boom, you're right back into it. Nothing breaks up the pace you set for the day.

4 has cutscenes for jumping into caves, landing in caves, going between cave levels and exiting caves. You also get cutscenes for starting the day in the prepping area, leaving it, then one for landing in the actual zone you're exploring. There's also a lot of interruptions with tutorials, crew members messaging you and cutscenes with the Leaflings or the Dandori battles.

Again, it's not bad because you can skip nearly all of it but it's pointless fluff. I feel like the prep area should have been integrated into the main zones, I like the progression that occurs there with upgrades and items but I feel like it would have been better to access all of that on the spot while exploring instead.

However, the game is really loving fun and I'm in love with how good the Pikmin AI is. It's going to be harder going back to the old games after this.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Cringing every time I hear Shepherd say "durka durka"

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

Just reached this and while the game isn't quite the level of "gently caress you specifically" that Pikmin 2 got to towards the end, this is easily the closest it's gotten yet.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I think it's very funny despite not having their own Piklopedia page now, they still included volatile dweevils.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

i

love

pikmin

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DANDORI

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Kirios posted:

Would anyone happen to have an extra code for the Pikmin Bloom costume you get for finishing the demo / playing the game? My wife completed it but unfortunately it said the code was already used. :(

PM'd you!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sankara posted:

i

love

pikmin

:hmmyes:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hit credits! but of course just like Pikmin 2 we’re not done yet, and Moss has a mysterious new buddy who has an air of familiarity…

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Pixeltendo posted:

Seeing that name pop up on the screen caused the loving record scratch sound in my brain.

Relatedly, the horns in the morning should be sad after a day where you eat especially large amounts of poo poo. Missed opportunity.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I fjckin love pikmin!!! Ty again miyamoto!!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I smiled so big at the GBA SP in the first area

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I just did my first nighttime mission and henceforth I would die to protect Glow Pikmin, yes I know they're immortal, I don't care.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
https://twitter.com/JJs__Trick/status/1682267149631455234

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Regy Rusty posted:

This game is pretty much Pikmin 2 2 and I could not be happier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT