Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Childhood: 1d6 3

Blasphemaster posted:

If it gets us an adorable robot pal, it sure is a vote for A.

Gained
Knowledge (Imperial Cult) [26]
Craft (Mechanicus) [26]

So A with a specialization in Craft (Mechanicus). You won't start with a skull or other robot but you can attempt to use time/resources either in the life path phase or the game proper to craft one. Knowledge (Imperial Cult) could be useful dealing with those with a religious interest outside the Adeptus Mechanicus.

I'll try and work on your next choice about your life training on Mars later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oop, I missed the vote but I was gonna vote A anyway, praise be the Omnissiah!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Enderus and Dahlia, Stavros's parents, stood on the landing pad, their worn humble robes in shades of crimson not suited for the idyllic sunlight and inviting breeze. Their faces were etched with a blend of pride and sorrow, and the warm light of Reth's sun makes their eyes shine like they might shed a tear. It was a poignant moment as they gazed upon their son, Stavros, who was embarking on a path far from the verdant islands of his birth.

Dominus, resplendent in his crimson and bronze Mechanicum vestments, stood by Stavros' side. The Tech-Priest was a symphony of human and machine, disparate cables and conduits melding flesh with arcane technical devices of indeterminable purpose. One of his eyes bore the milky hue of blindness, the other a glowing green monocle, amplifying his perception beyond mortal confines.

"Stavros," Enderus began, his voice unsteady but determined, "heed the call of the Omnissiah, of the Machine God. Walk the sacred path of the Motive Force and let it guide you amidst the stars. Your biological origins may draw disdain, even cries of heresy from those who have already ascended their flesh. But the Omnissiah himself was born of flesh, forget that not. Your gift will silence their foolishness."

In response, Stavros' attempted to deepen his voice as he intoned a verse from the fourth tome of the Sanctus Mechanicum Corpus, but his boyish tones could not be masked, "In Machinae Magnum Schema, concordia dominatur ubi caro et machina intexta sunt. Chaos chaos parit, sed unitas stabilitatem generat." A final solemn hymn in the midst of paradise. The sacred words finally broke Dahla's reserve, causing her to let out a quiet sob. Enderus turned and gave her a sharp look causing her to quickly regain her composure.

A gentle clank resonated as Provost Dominus placed a gauntleted hand on Stavros's shoulder. His emerald monocle glowed brighter, an unspoken signal that it was time. Together, they boarded the Dominus's personal craft while Enderus and Dahlia watched. The ship was an amalgamation of parts that bore more resemblance to an iron coffin than a vessel. Servitors, grotesque hybrids of human and machine, went about their programmed duties with nary a flicker of acknowledgment for their guests. From behind Stavros hears his mothers voice sing, "In Machinae Magnum Schema, concordia dominatur ubi caro et machina intexta sunt. Chaos chaos parit, sed unitas stabilitatem generat." Midway through his father's voice joins her, and they continue intoning from the fourth tome of the Sanctus Mechanicum Corpus. Stavros dares not turn to see them, but the words resonate with the same words deep in his own heart.

The journey into orbit had Stavros enthralled, his young eyes drinking in the raw power of space travel. As weightlessness began to permeate the atmosphere his small necklace began to float upward, when the Graviticus Module hummed to life, restoring the sense of gravity within the craft and causing his necklace to drop into his chest firmly. Through the viewport, the pleasure barge destined for the Sol system loomed in the void, a gaudy testament to the extravagance of Terra's elite. Amidst the ubiquitous gothic grandeur of the Mechanicum, this vessel was a peacock amongst ravens, adorned with ostentatious figureheads, embellished crosses, and other luxurious trappings - a statement of wealth among the celestial wastes.

Dominus, his mechanical eyes flickering with a strange, otherworldly light, turned to Stavros. The crimson light of his luminator caste an eerie glow on the young man's face as he spoke.

"Stavros," he began, his timbre echoing with an almost ethereal, otherworldly resonance. "I am called by sacred duty to commune with the Holy Cogitator of this vessel, to interface with its blessed machinations and confer with my Mechanicum kin. This solemn undertaking, a communion of flesh and spirit with the holy machine, requires isolation."

The shimmering green light of his monocle intensified, reflecting a deep concentration within his complex being. "My initial judgement was to secure thee within our chamber during this holy rite, safeguarding thy innocence from the rampant hedonism aboard this vessel."

His metallic digits danced over an arcane device, producing a series of chirping notes, like an otherworldly dirge. "Yet, it be prudent for thee to acquaint thyself with circumstances unfamiliar, a testament to thy adaptability, a necessary quality in the service of the Omnissiah."

His gaze, a juxtaposition of human curiosity and mechanical detachment, pierced Stavros. "I beseech thee, Stavros, to tread with care. This Pleasure Barge is a vortex of temptation, an opulent pandemonium. Its luxuriant excesses may ensnare thy senses, rend thy mind in twain when it is time to depart for Mars' stern monasticism."

He intoned in a solemn whisper, "Always carry in thy heart the Omnissiah's teachings. Let them light thy path amidst the swirling tempest of pleasure and debauchery. Perhaps thou may even find some grain of wisdom from the dunes of indulgence."

"Remember, the road to unity is trodden by restraint, not decadence."

Having imparted his counsel, Dominus turned away, leaving Stavros to grapple with his sage advice.

--------

When he gets to the vessel Dominus will take Stavros to his quarters but as he mentioned he will lock Stavros out of them. Will you:

A) Attend a party: This pleasure barge is not merely a place of transit but a floating celebration of wealth and privilege. Already on the way to Dominus's room he had seen outher youths in outfits that had caused him to blush beneath his hood. Stavros could join the festivities, his sheltered upbringing offering no preparation for the opulence on display. But mastering social graces and learning to navigate such events could prove advantageous.

Benefit:
Gain Courtesy
Test: Influence [52] Success: Gain Contact Failure: Gain Enemy/Rival

B) Gamble: No one raised on Reth could be completely isolated from gambling. The barge's gaming halls are teeming with nobles wagering vast sums on games of chance. Perhaps he could even turn a profit.
Benefit
Test Gambling [54] Success: Gain 3000 CR Failure: Lose 6000 CR

C) Prepare for the Warp Jump: In order to reach Sol the ship would have to undergo a warp jump a risky yet crucial part of space travel. He could find a quiet lounge to sit and enjoy the jump. Try and experience it as fully as possible.
Benefit:
Test Willpower [52] ???

D) Seek out other Tech-Priests: Despite Dominus' unconscious state, there might be other Adeptus Mechanicus members aboard. Encounters with his future brethren could lead Stavros to a future compatriot at Mars Academy.
Benefit:
Boost Influence
Gain Contact

E) Meet a Rogue Trader: It's not just imperial nobility and aristocrats who frequent the trips to Reth, some take the opportunity to network to grow their own merchant networks. Rogue Traders are semi-legal entrepreneurs, operating on the fringes of the Imperium. These individuals could provide Stavros with a unique perspective on the universe outside his sheltered existence, and could be valuable contacts for later.
Benefit:
Boost Commerce
Gain Contact

F) Look for other Quiet Souls: Not all on board the pleasure barge are partakers of the non-stop decadence. Stavros might find kindred spirits amongst the crew or even passengers, individuals who prefer the serenity of solitude. Conversing with them could offer him different perspectives on life and the universe.
Benefit:
Gain Contact???

G) Enjoy a Play: The barge hosts many entertainments, including performances of famous Imperial dramas. Watching a play could offer a diversion and cultural education, as well as a chance to witness the dramatic arts favored by the nobility.
Benefit:
Boost Acting

H) Write-in

----

Please present your choices ranked from in priority from most want to do, to least want to do. I'm not sure how long each might take but it's possible we do more than one. Maybe you're top three?

Also, let me know how you think it's going so far. Too many options? Too much prose? (at least in this update) Would you prefer to fast forward this background stuff?

Other feedback on stuff you want to see/hope to encounter would be appreciated. Like do you want to encounter Xenos? What Xenos? Chaos? Just plain human infighting?

It's possible we actually go off course in this prologue so do you want to end up back on Reth? Just trying to guage what will be entertaining.

I'm just coming up with the benefits here but if you want to attempt an option here but with slightly different goals benefits you can refine your vote.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 27, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
CDFEBGA. Let us witness the warp to distant space firsthand, before making pals.

I'd preferably like to fast forward through the background stuff, or just speed through it slightly if possible. But if the majority don't wish to, I'll concede there.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
HDEFGCBA

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Do you have a write-in option?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Not yet, but if someone comes up with one I'll support it as a priority. Ranked choice and write-ins are an unusual combination, this is more of an encouragement.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

AJ_Impy posted:

Not yet, but if someone comes up with one I'll support it as a priority. Ranked choice and write-ins are an unusual combination, this is more of an encouragement.

Ok, I get it!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

AFEDCGB

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
C

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CDBAGEF

The pace could be slightly faster, but overall I think it's going just fine.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Looks like the majority of support is for testing our will against the Warp!

Warp Experience: Test Willpower [52]: 1d100 78 Failure

Well that went as well as could be expected.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Abyss Watching

Stavros traversed the pleasure barge's labyrinthine corridors finding himself increasingly estranged from its overindulgent patrons. He witnessed corpulent men lolling from feast to feast, cliques of young noble boys in finery with swords at their hip rattling them at each other. Their vain shows of bravado meant to impress the young ladies dressed in pompous dresses, thickly caked with makeup and bearing powdery wigs, even the servitors he saw were grotesquely draped in fine silks that were ill-fitting and torn by their harsh, mechanical forms.

Eventually, he stumbled upon an unclaimed sanctuary - an opulent lounge, yet to be reached by the gaudy excesses of the barge's denizens. He sank into a chair that was comfortable beyond anything he had ever experienced. Beside it, a grand window displayed the cosmos in all its glory. He waited in this silent haven, a whirlwind of anticipation churning within him as he yearned for the transcendent experience of warp travel.

Despite all his hymns and prayers, he couldn't say that he had ever truly had a mystic experience. He hoped that by directly encountering the warp that perhaps even a lowly disciple as himself might sense something of the Emperor's presence, the beacon of the Universe, to encourage and center him as he begins this new chapter in his life.

Time became an indistinguishable blur as he gazed upon the vibrant tapestry of space. The distant celestial bodies, once mere specks in the night sky, now revealed their unique brilliance. Ships crisscrossed the void around Reth, silent testaments to the devotion of his fellow tech-priests.

Without warning, he felt an ovewhelming pivot in his orientation. It seemed that everything inside was suddenly out. Everything on top was now on the bottom. Colors inverted, swirled, and drained. He realised what a fool he'd been. The luxurious chair and spectacular scenery had caused him to lower his guard. Instead of being on his knees, fortifying himself for the journey with prayer and holy writ he had dissolved in posture and resolve.

Despite the overwhelming sensory assault of the Warp, Stavros grits his teeth, biting his tongue and tries to remember even the most basic of psalms. He starts trying to recite what he had sang on the landing pad, clinging to his faith. "In Machinae Magnum Schema..." he starts, but another voice - at first reminiscent of his mother, but then seductive, tinged with a chaotic joy - weaved itself into the chant and twisted the sacred words. "In Mysteriis Magni Mutatoris, concordia dominatur ubi visio et transmutatio intexta sunt. Chaos chaos parit, sed mutatio infinitas generat." It proclaims, transforming the hymn into a perverse ode to change.

This unexpected interruption jarred him, the voice seemed to echo with a bizarre harmonic resonance, as if composed of a thousand whispering winds, while also like a playful child's, and yet with a lurking undercurrent of unsettling wisdom. Shivers ran down Stavros's spine. As the final warped syllable passed his lips, the turbulent journey through the warp came to an abrupt end.

The ship reoriented itself, and reality asserted itself once again. As he looked across the room, for a moment he thought "It's over." In is in again, out is out again, the roof above, the floor below. His chin is wet with blood. Wiping it with the back of his hand he noticed, that instead of red, it is pearlescent blue.

"Hello, little lamb of the cog and the cam," a voice tinged with a playful, melodic resonance that echoes strangely in Stavros's head. "I am Kyniz, of the realm where chaos dances. Just a shard of the Great Changer’s vast expanses."

Sitting opposite him is a creature that he had never imagined even in his most blasphemous nightmares. The creature's form constantly shifts and flows, like molten metal running over an invisible mould. Its skin shimmers with a spectrum of colours that are at once striking and yet subtly unnatural. Patches of its form sparkle with arcane runes, and its eyes shift between countless shapes and hues. Its mouth remains constant though - a sharp, almost cheeky grin.

Stavros, taken aback, merely shakes his head, repeating in a panicked, breathy whisper, "No no no, this... this cannot be..."

Ah, now there's no need for dismay or fright," the creature coos, watching Stavros with twinkling eyes. "For I'm just curious, brought here by the Warp's strange flight. Mars, they say, is quite the sight."

In response, Stavros begins to rock back and forth bringing his head to his knees, he wrings his hands together and murmurs to himself, his gaze darting around the room as if searching for some escape from this surreal situation.

"Now, don't you worry, don't you stew," Kyniz interrupts him again, its voice flowing smoothly as though reciting a well-known verse. "I've no ill will, no harm for you. Just a traveler seeking something new."

Gradually, Stavros began to steady himself. His mind raced through a catalog of ancient incantations, verses of banishment in High Gothic. Kyniz, its form constantly shifting and bubbling, rolled its eyes, or what seemed to serve as eyes in that moment.

"Ah, here we go again, must we dance this old refrain? I know your books back to front, oh, it's a bit of a pain." Kyniz said, its tone making clear that it found these thoughts of exorcism amusing rather than threatening. "Remember, you invited me in. You left your mind open, your guard thin."

The suggestion that he had, even inadvertently, allowed this creature inside his head hit Stavros like a punch. Shocked, he declared, "Then I will find someone who can drive you out!"

Then, a chilling transformation took place over Kyniz. Its once merry grin twisted into a malicious smirk, and the colors that danced across its form took on a dark, disturbing hue. Its playful, lyrical rhymes replaced by a heavy voice that seemed to drip with venom, as if every word it uttered were a poisonous thorn.

"Consider this, dear Stavros," it began, the name leaving its lips with a sinister, mocking drawl. "You seek to purge me by confessing to the Adeptus Mechanicus? You do know what they'll do, don't you?"

Kyniz's eyes, constantly shifting and changing, narrowed slightly as it watched Stavros with an unsettling, predatory gaze.

"They'll put you through the purifiers," it continued, its voice taking on an almost gleeful quality. "Their holy rites, their blessed incantations...They'll burn me out of you with righteous flame and pious zeal."

Its words hung in the air, creating a chilling atmosphere that seemed to make the room grow colder.

"And you, poor Stavros," it added, with a cruel, mocking laughter, "what will be left of you then? A hollow shell, devoid of thought, of memory...You might even be dead, or worse, a mindless drone, an empty husk."

Its laughter echoed eerily in the lavish lounge, a stark contrast to the austere silence of the starscape outside the window. Its shifting form seemed to ripple with malicious glee, and its voice held a chilling promise.

"You already know don't you. Your best bet is to keep me as your secret. Live with me, learn with me. Otherwise, your future holds nothing but pain and oblivion."

"Besides," it added, its voice filled with a giddy glee, "even if the tech-priests did manage to purge me, it won't be my first time or my last. And in the end what am I? A reflection of a fragment of the Great Mutator's toenail? My loss is but a trifle, no more than valuable than a forgotten dream. But your loss..."

Choices:

A: Confess the presence of the entity
Test Influence [10] (Herculean Difficulty) to convince the authorities to save you.
Success: They believe you and spare you from immediate death, but the means to purge the fluxling from you may have severe consequences, requiring a Herculean Endurance test to survive, and will result in lasting damage to your abilities.
Failure: Death

B: Keep Quiet about the passenger.
Gain Passenger: Kyniz, the Fluxling.

A lesser daemon of Tzeentch, its presence is a constant reminder of Stavros's fateful journey through the Warp. Though its intentions are unclear, its influence might have unforeseen consequences on your journey to Mars. Be prepared for the unexpected.

C: Write-in

You can also engage Kyniz in dialogue if you want.

---------------

This will be the last choice post for the week and we'll start again next week.

Since the consensus seems to be move through the lifepath section ASAP following this I will just roll the remaining checks and provide summaries of the boosts. Monday will probably be deciding the remaining undistributed points and maybe the first decision of life at the hospital on Reeth.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
B he's just a sweet little guy, right

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Well that didn't go well for him at all. Or maybe it did? :psylon: B

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
B.

These mechanics are odd, we failed the check but we gained a friend? That's a success in my book.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Well, turns out we were the cute robot pet all along.

B. And we are terrified

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

B Hooray, we're making friends! :zoid:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Probably need to give you Deception as a skill now so that you aren’t immediately lit up like a candle.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
C: Find an off-the-books way of getting rid of it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Hooooooold up, we have a bigger thing to worry about than an extradimensional parasite.

Apocron posted:

The ship reoriented itself, and reality asserted itself once again. As he looked across the room, for a moment he thought "It's over." In is in again, out is out again, the roof above, the floor below. His chin is wet with blood. Wiping it with the back of his hand he noticed, that instead of red, it is pearlescent blue.

Is this a problem for someone about to undergo invasive surgery from a group of xenophobic bigots?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AJ_Impy posted:

C: Find an off-the-books way of getting rid of it.

I considered this but I'm not sure what kind of resources we'll find on a pleasure barge headed for the heart of the Imperium.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Outrail posted:

Hooooooold up, we have a bigger thing to worry about than an extradimensional parasite.

Is this a problem for someone about to undergo invasive surgery from a group of xenophobic bigots?

The blue blood is more of a hallucination or at least if it isn’t Kyniz can probably fake red blood where necessary.

McSpanky posted:

I considered this but I'm not sure what kind of resources we'll find on a pleasure barge headed for the heart of the Imperium.

This is the case. If you want to write in I’m going to need a more detailed proposal.

Slaan posted:

B he's just a sweet little guy, right

For the record the fluxling isn’t a friendly entity. Unless dealt with it will cause your death, directly or indirectly, or you’ll turn NPC if it fully corrupts you.

But then we can roll up a new character.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Apocron posted:

For the record the fluxling isn’t a friendly entity. Unless dealt with it will cause your death, directly or indirectly, or you’ll turn NPC if it fully corrupts you.

But then we can roll up a new character.

Hey, it's a harsh, unforgiving world out there. We stared into the abyss, a foolhardy task even for those of an iron will, and it stared back with a withering glare. Whatever happens, happens.

Incidentally, I'd like to change my vote to A if that's allowed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Apocron posted:

We can change him

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Apocron posted:

This is the case. If you want to write in I’m going to need a more detailed proposal.

Amending to C: Convince the Fluxling to get into a staring contest with the Navigator.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Trick the fluxling into our finger and chop it off with an airlock. Bing bong simple how these Inquisitors keep their jobs I'll never know.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Fluxy is our friend and will never hurt us :love:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Any way we could stick him to our adorable servitor to be?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Seems like the majority is for B, let's see what happens.

Gain Passenger Kyniz
Boost Deceit
[24] -> [39]

We roll 92:

quote:

91-94: A job went bad. Real bad. Roll Deceit, Disguise or Conceal. Success: Gain Insight and Influence. Lose a contact. Failure: Replace your current Origin with Penal Colony and replace your career with Inmate, Then roll Deceit. Success: You hid your starting money. Failure: Lose all starting money

:aaa:

I read that as Kyniz potentially being detected. But good for us that we just gained a boost to Deceit!

Deceit: 1d100 65: Failure

So despite deciding to try and hide our new passenger we are discovered almost immediately. I guess it makes sense that Mars would have a thorough immigrations system for filtering out Chaos! Time for a herculean endurance check to see if we survive being stripped of Kyniz. Herculean means our skill is divided by 5 so our endurance of 70/5 mean we have to beat 14:

Do we survive being stripped of Kyniz?: 1d100 13

Stavros survives by the narrowest of margains. Did he manage to somehow squirrel away his fortune?

Did we hide our money somehow?: 1d100 72

Alas, we lose our grand starting fortune and possessions.

----

We roll 56:

quote:

51-65. Typical daily routine. Increase Gambling, Survival (Prison), Conceal or Unarmed. Gain a contact.

Gambling [54] -> [69]
Gain Survival (Prison) [26]

----

We roll 19:

16-25. Hostage crisis! Inmates choose: [1]A Increase Deceit and gain an enemy or [1]B increase Willpower and
lose a contact

----

We roll 52:

quote:

51-65. Typical daily routine. Increase Gambling, Survival (Prison), Conceal or Unarmed. Gain a contact.

Gambling [69] -> [84]
Survival (Prison) [26] -> [41]

----

We roll 61:

quote:

Gambling [84] -> [99]
Survival (Prison) [41] -> [56]

----

Well that was unexpected! We've gone from Tech Priest to gambling convict extraordinaire. Sorry if there isn't much fluff in today's update. Wanted to speed up the life path section as suggested and then it went in such a curve ball direction that I need to seriously rethink the trajectory of the game. Any suggestions for where we should take Stavros next would be appreciated? Maybe some kind of suicide squad situation? Maybe trying a prison break? I could do with some direction too!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hah, curveball indeed! I say we put that elite Gambling skill to good use -- whatever our next move is, we're likely gonna need serious coin to grease some palms. Also, we've gained three contacts, who are they? Sympathetic guards, connected inmates, maybe smugglers or liberators?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Engineer for a penal legion might work. Not going to get us killed like the average legionnaire, but certainly hard. That'll give us a good place to gamble and use our contacts, too. Fluff as Mars not wanting to waste "real" enginseers on penal legions, so they send fuckups like our guy instead

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Poor kid, lucks not with him.

Penal colony strip club DJ servitor is my new favorite career option. Let's make it happen.

vvv: :laffo: We hardly knew ye.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 31, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Kyniz :(

Can we get him back?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
1B

Serve out our sentence and carry on from there. Let's not waste the tremendous mercy we have been shown.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Stavros had just barely managed to keep his sanity intact when Kyniz was forcibly removed. The extraction process was brutal and unrelenting, an attempt by the Mechanicus to burn out the chaos taint from his mind. Despite the sheer agony and the psychic onslaught that followed, Stavros survived - a testament to his mental fortitude.

Unfortunately, during the process of Kyniz's removal, Stavros's substantial wealth was discovered. The Mechanicus, as a part of the punishment, confiscated every last Throne Gelt of his fortune. Left with nothing, he was condemned to the penal colony of Isolde III, a bleak, desolate world where even the idea of hope seemed to be a cruel joke.

Stavros's fall from grace had been rapid and complete. In the penal colony, the daily routine was harsh, a stark contrast to his former life on Mars. But he was a survivor, through and through. He adapted, learning to navigate the treacherous waters of prison politics, surviving one day at a time.

Prison brought with it a unique set of skills. Stavros became proficient in gambling, honing his analytical abilities to become a formidable player. He found that it was a powerful tool for gaining resources and respect among the inmates. His ability to predict outcomes, to bluff, and to keep a steady hand even under pressure turned him into a figure of repute within the prison population.

However, his newfound skills and status also brought with them dangers. A hostage crisis swept through the prison, testing Stavros's resolve and his ability to manipulate situations. He chose to rely on his cunning and deception to resolve the crisis. While this move managed to defuse the situation, it earned him a new enemy within the prison - a powerful gang leader who swore revenge.

Over time, Stavros continued to survive and adapt, his days filled with the mundane and the dangerous in equal measures. His proficiency in gambling reached new heights, and he developed an impressive aptitude for survival, particularly in the brutal environment of the prison.

--------

Stavros was squatting in the yard, the dim orange light of the penal colony's sun barely illuminating the worn-out playing cards in his hands. The game was "Emperor's Folly," a favorite among the convicts for its complex rules and opportunities for deceit. Stavros was good at it, very good. He had little to his name now, but the reputation he'd earned as a skilled player was worth something here.

Just as he was about to make a play that would have seen him win the round, a group of Adeptus Arbites entered the yard, their glossy black armor standing out starkly against the gray monotony of the prison. They moved with purpose towards Stavros, each step a resounding echo in the suddenly silent yard.

"Convict 7249, you have been summoned," the lead Arbite said, his voice modulated and harsh through the helm's speakers. Stavros was escorted from the yard, the stares of his fellow inmates burning into his back.

He was led to a wing of the prison he had never been to before into a room barely shielded from the harsh winds of the penal world. The room was barren, with naught but a single light illuminating the space. A sister stood in the center, clad in the crimson power armor of the Order of Our Martyred Lady, she carried herself with an unyielding air of authority. Her face was hardened by countless battles, her eyes glimmering with zealous determination. A massive, ornate power sword hung by her side, a testament to her martial prowess. She looked upon Stavros with a gaze of barely concealed contempt, her distaste for the task forced upon her evident.

"The Emperor works in mysterious ways," she began, her voice echoing in the dimly lit space, "I Sister Marielle have been guided to grant you a chance for redemption, a chance to serve His purpose. You have been selected for a series of missions you have no hope of surviving. Hope that perhaps in death you may find absolution.

-----

Choose a mission:

Operation Steel Salvation: A combat mission set on the world of Gorgos IV. A Greenskin WAAAGH! has descended upon the planet, threatening to overrun the planetary defense force. Stavros and his squad would be sent to infiltrate and destroy the Ork's command structure, taking out the Warboss and his Nobz.

Operation Soulweaver: This mission would require Stavros to go undercover within a corrupt Highborn Noble's estate on the Hive World of Scintilla. The noble in question is believed to be leading a Chaos cult devoted to Slaanesh. His task would be to identify and assassinate the noble, and destroy the cult from within.

Operation Silent Echo
: This mission would see Stavros and his squad dropped on the feral world of Caledonia. A band of Eldar Rangers from the craftworld Alaitoc have been causing havoc in the area. Stavros's task would be to track them down in the dense forests and eliminate them, a task made difficult by the Eldar's exceptional stealth and deadly accuracy.

Our team will be made up of our 3 contacts and our 1 enemy. If you'd like to create an NPC from the penal colony for one of the roles just give me a pic and a simple idea of the character. Don't worry about all the complicated character creation stuff.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Operation Steel Salvation. I don't think Stravos wants anything to do with chaos...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Soulweaver. It's a terrible option but this at least requires deception and knowledge of chaos, something we at least have passing familiarity.

The other two require a fight against bigger stronger foes or smarter, wealthier does and we have zero experience with either.

We're hosed either way, but the chaos option includes an potential to abandon the mission and escape into the broader society.

E: NPC - Croak - Fellow tech priest sentenced to be servitorized but the processed didn't work and he retained his personality and intellect. They didn't know what to do with a failure like this and signed him to the penal legion. Croak serves us because we're the only one who can keep his vital processes maintained. Looks and functions as a type of servitor but has full mental capacity (and all the expected mental trauma and hangups).

Outrail fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 2, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Soulweaver

NPC- Afet Demir

Afet was in training with the Order Hospitallar when she got caught selling medications and supplies to guardsmen, nobles and local gangs. She survived being scourged (leaving her with massive whip scars on her torso) and was therefore sent to the penal colony. Here, she used her knowledge of chemistry, medicine and Sororitas combat tactics to make her very popular with other inmates as the back alley doc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Outrail posted:

Soulweaver. It's a terrible option but this at least requires deception and knowledge of chaos, something we at least have passing familiarity.

The other two require a fight against bigger stronger foes or smarter, wealthier does and we have zero experience with either.

We're hosed either way, but the chaos option includes an potential to abandon the mission and escape into the broader society.

E: NPC - Croak - Fellow tech priest sentenced to be servitorized but the processed didn't work and he retained his personality and intellect. They didn't know what to do with a failure like this and signed him to the penal legion. Croak serves us because we're the only one who can keep his vital processes maintained. Looks and functions as a type of servitor but has full mental capacity (and all the expected mental trauma and hangups).

This is my kind of 40k bleak. Woof.