Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

CubicalSucrose posted:

So scum can only safely claim VT flavor?

Feels like everyone flavorclaiming D1 would be interesting. I guess scum then pivot to counterclaiming real roles? But that thunderdomes them.

It also puts some targets on power roles.

I'm not used to open setups but I feel like we might be able to win D1?

Like if I were to (hypothetically) claim Tom then either I'm VT or I'm scum and so I'm either a very good or a not-bad elim.

Not like scum would want to put themselves in that position. So scum probably won't want to claim at all.

So... should we push for claims today? I know Zoya pushed for this in my game and it kinda broke things so maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Like if I were to (hypothetically) claim Tom then either I'm VT or I'm scum and so I'm either a very good or a not-bad elim.

Not like scum would want to put themselves in that position. So scum probably won't want to claim at all.

So... should we push for claims today? I know Zoya pushed for this in my game and it kinda broke things so maybe not.
see:

Zoya posted:

if everyone open claims, scum will immediately kill the doc, and then kill the bonestar with that special action

it'll also allow scum to more easily find and not accidentally kill their lil pet who they currently don't know the identity of, scum-aligned kingdok (not to be confused with me, town-aligned kingdok)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I dunno I kinda feel like if we did all claim and then just pick off scummiest VT we’d maybe be able to outpace NKs, no?

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Sandwolf posted:

I dunno I kinda feel like if we did all claim and then just pick off scummiest VT we’d maybe be able to outpace NKs, no?

11 player game, 3 scum 8 town

D1 we vote a VT, lets say we miss, and N1 they shoot the doc

3 scum 6 town

D2 we vote a VT, lets say we get kingdok, N2 they shoot 2 people (bonestar guy and someone else)

2 scum 4 town

D3 we vote a VT, lets say we miss again, N3 they shoot someone

2 scum 2 town

RIP

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

CubicalSucrose posted:

I will vote anyone but Sandwolf or Zoya today.

that's too bad

##vote Sandwolf

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Zoya posted:

3 scum 6 town

D2 we vote a VT, lets say we get kingdok, N2 they shoot 2 people (bonestar guy and someone else)

2 scum 4 town

2 scum 2 town

RIP

Thank you, math-doer.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CubicalSucrose posted:

Thank you, math-doer.

same

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Thank you Zoya

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's some pretty easy, straight forward math. Little suspicious of the people fawning over Zoya for doing it

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Opopanax posted:

That's some pretty easy, straight forward math. Little suspicious of the people fawning over Zoya for doing it

no everybody should fawn over me more, not less

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Opopanax posted:

You're not Zoya or Sandwolf.

##vote Opop

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

CubicalSucrose posted:

You're not Zoya or Sandwolf.

##vote Opop

:hmmyes:

##vote opop

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Opopanax posted:

Some people are just polite

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Point or clarification: since kingdok doesn’t have a night kill, if the other two scum are eliminated the scumteam loses even if kingdok is still alive.

This was intended by the open setup explanation (town wins when “all threats to town are eliminated," and since Kingdok does not have a nightkill he is not mechanically a "threat to town"). But I forgot to explicitly note it this and realize that these sorts of aux/traitor roles are less common here so worth emphasizing this point here while the game is still young.

Carry on.

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 25, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Technically he's still a threat to the town, he can lie and coerce us into killing each other for him.
That sounds like fun make me that guy and kill the other two actually

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Opopanax posted:

Technically he's still a threat to the town, he can lie and coerce us into killing each other for him.
That sounds like fun make me that guy and kill the other two actually

Good mornin'

Yea that does sound like the Gnosia AC sympatizer (was that the word?) - wins with scum but doesn't count towards scum numbers. Though those aren't told who scum, and this one does, so there is (hopefully) at least a bit of TMI to pull from for the rest.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Sandwolf posted:

Zoya posted:

3 scum 6 town

2 scum 4 town

2 scum 2 town

RIP

Asleep math time, lemme recap over this idea for a sec - 11 players, 4 non VT, 2 scum, 1 scum traitor, 4 true VT, which means 7 VT claims at the cost of outing the group of the four town roles, two of which at least really really doesn't want outed. And yea, as Zoya mathed out, 9-2 with two extra kills makes YOLO a day earlier if one or both trigger.

Or in other words, unless I'm mistaken, we need to shoot two VT in the barrel of 7 with 3 vote attempts, that's doable but far far from guaranteed.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CubicalSucrose posted:

I will vote anyone but Sandwolf or Zoya today.

interesting ##vote cubicalsucrose

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Actually, after thinking this around a lot (I'm very prone to overthinking, can you tell) I think I don't mind claiming. Heavily recommend the rest of the town roles don't, tho. I'm about the only one who can afford to!

I'm the nightvig.

Which means:

a) Scum blocks me tonight, leaving the other roles free to act, AND/OR

b) Scum shoots me, OR

c) Neither.

As long as scums are roleblocking, they can't aim to doublekill (check the Hooded One role!).

If they don't RB, I'll do my damnedest to shoot one of them dead. Just killing me won't stop the shoot, either, and since I'm VT after shooting I'm way better dead than any of the others :)

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Open setup is interesting.

I spent a lot of time trying to math out scenarios in my confessional, thinking through how I'd play a few different roles.

Having a "Miller shouldn't immediately claim" (maybe...) mechanic is kinda cool.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

This is what happens to your game when you don't include a tank phase, btw.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

I request you only use that vig while sober Shell... I've seen what you are capable of with a couple drinks in you 😛

It's an X-Files Mafia joke for those who don't know, except she was a bounty hunter and I was the bounty.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

I request you only use that vig while sober Shell... I've seen what you are capable of with a couple drinks in you 😛

It's an X-Files Mafia joke for those who don't know, except she was a bounty hunter and I was the bounty.

I was sober when I shoot, and we voted out scum afterwards :colbert: yeah ok so Taste was town but it disrupted the scum's strategy right?

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Shellception posted:

Actually, after thinking this around a lot (I'm very prone to overthinking, can you tell) I think I don't mind claiming. Heavily recommend the rest of the town roles don't, tho. I'm about the only one who can afford to!

I'm the nightvig.

Which means:

a) Scum blocks me tonight, leaving the other roles free to act, AND/OR

b) Scum shoots me, OR

c) Neither.

As long as scums are roleblocking, they can't aim to doublekill (check the Hooded One role!).

If they don't RB, I'll do my damnedest to shoot one of them dead. Just killing me won't stop the shoot, either, and since I'm VT after shooting I'm way better dead than any of the others :)

interesting. they won't be doublekilling tonight (they can't until they know who the starboi is, and if they know who he is it might mean town knows too, and if town knows too then they need to remove the doc first anyway cuz they'd be on him) unless they're crazy gambling psychos who just shoot the ability off at a random person based on vibes ....... i'd probably do that, tbh

they probably won't shoot you, either, because with more town than scum they'd just be hoping you shoot town by mistake and do their job for them. on the other hand, if you're roleblocked tonight, it probably means someone you publicly sussed today was scum! or it means they want you to think that. so actually it tells us nothing. mafia!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Zoya posted:

interesting. they won't be doublekilling tonight (they can't until they know who the starboi is, and if they know who he is it might mean town knows too, and if town knows too then they need to remove the doc first anyway cuz they'd be on him) unless they're crazy gambling psychos who just shoot the ability off at a random person based on vibes ....... i'd probably do that, tbh

they probably won't shoot you, either, because with more town than scum they'd just be hoping you shoot town by mistake and do their job for them. on the other hand, if you're roleblocked tonight, it probably means someone you publicly sussed today was scum! or it means they want you to think that. so actually it tells us nothing. mafia!

Right? I'm not convinced that Shell claiming was "right" but it's certainly spicy.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Zoya posted:

Tbf, I pretty much assumed the idea was the latter - supposing they aren't interested in RBing some rando that may or may not have powers (3/9 chance to land somewhere useful), they may as well try and extra shoot some rando that may or may not die (1/9 chance to land somewhere useful). It's not an over the top absurd strategy given it may net them an additional free kill. I think you might be overcomplicating things a bit there, lol.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Also them hoping I shoot town for them has the small downside of me maybe shooting scum instead :shrug:. Up to them if they want to make a bet!

I do agree analyzing night results on light of whatever happens is WIFOM as all gently caress. And that's not the angle I'm promoting.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Shellception posted:

Tbf, I pretty much assumed the idea was the latter - supposing they aren't interested in RBing some rando that may or may not have powers (3/9 chance to land somewhere useful), they may as well try and extra shoot some rando that may or may not die (1/9 chance to land somewhere useful). It's not an over the top absurd strategy given it may net them an additional free kill. I think you might be overcomplicating things a bit there, lol.

well, actually, here's a good point and maybe a question for shwinny because the open setup doesn't actually say-- what does phony bone's ##LayLow actually do? its description just lists what happens if scum finds him, not what the ability does. self-jail? if he's just self-jailing every night until he thinks he knows who fonebone is and starts using his other ability, then scum gambleshooting just does nothing actually lol

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Zoya posted:

well, actually, here's a good point and maybe a question for shwinny because the open setup doesn't actually say-- what does phony bone's ##LayLow actually do? its description just lists what happens if scum finds him, not what the ability does. self-jail? if he's just self-jailing every night until he thinks he knows who fonebone is and starts using his other ability, then scum gambleshooting just does nothing actually lol

That just breaks scum's extra kill for no reason, given the jugg is on the other scum, so what seems to be a reason for the miller to STFU becomes moot. I'm rather sure that's not the idea, though I am at a loss as to what the ability does. I suspect it's nothing more than a "Hey you someone is hunting for you" note.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Shellception posted:

That just breaks scum's extra kill for no reason, given the jugg is on the other scum, so what seems to be a reason for the miller to STFU becomes moot. I'm rather sure that's not the idea, though I am at a loss as to what the ability does. I suspect it's nothing more than a "Hey you someone is hunting for you" note.

sure, but then why give it a ##? ## implies an action

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Also this being an open setup, ability should do what it says on the tin, unless it's a mod mistake. It'd be pretty weird to slip an unlabelled, hidden ability in this kinda setting, IMO.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Zoya posted:

sure, but then why give it a ##? ## implies an action

No idea. Not the mod here. I also thought it was weird, but tbf the alternative of it doing something unlisted seems way weirder to me, so, unless Shwinn clarifies, I'd assume it does nothing.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Those pound signs to remind people about phones (or "fones" as the youths like to call them.

(But also yes that threw me off a bit too)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Don't worry shell, I'll just protect you at night

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Opopanax posted:

Grandma Ben claim?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wouldn't you like to know

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

“Lay low” is not actually an active power. I’ll edit the op to remove the “##” before those words. It’s just a description of a passive role mechanic.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Opopanax posted:

I just wanna make sweet sweet love to that rber ;)

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Shellception posted:

I just wanna make sweet sweet love to that rber ;)

BONE ZONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Lotta u freaks trynna sexualize a children’s comic, :eyeroll:

Also I’ve had like 4 people ask questions in confessionals that basically boil down to how I process night action interactions.

I’m using natural action resolution and if something unforeseen happens that isn’t easily dealt with by natural action resolution then I’ll decide what happens and u have to deal w it https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.ph...%20more%20cases