Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Starter: I'm gonna say Snivy because we'll get to use Contrary Serperior.

As for random other Pokemon, I'll say Alolan Sandshrew for getting that early Ice/Steel type, which are not usually types you get to play with early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This is really cool, I am along for the ride. I wish I had the time and the attention span to actually do something like this.

I would love to see some Cloyster action, only because it was my favorite pokemon as a kid but as far as I am aware it is garbage tier.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Rival Name: Butz
Pokemon: Smoliv, Pawmi, Surskit gives some good variety

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Starter: Chespin because no one likes them and they don't deserve that
Pokemon: Houndour because Mega Houndoom is cool, Natu because I like their design

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
Please keep the Piplup as a starter, and catch a Chingling and Phantump.

I really like hacks that expand the dex a lot but the added difficulty is always a little annoying, I just want to run around with critters...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BisbyWorl posted:

I don't care what else we end up running, we need a Paldean Wooper.

:hmmyes: I expect Clodsire to face the Champion.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

All I want is a Turtwig starter.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

:hmmyes: I expect Clodsire to face the Champion.

Clodsire was on my E4/Champion team and it did a decent amount of work vs all that bullshit.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Going to vote for Shinx and Paldean Wooper as pokemon.The Shinx line is my favorite and who could say no to Clodsire?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Okay! Time to tabulate the votes:

Emma: I
Gary: II
Butz: I

With a staggering "Uh, sure I guess" Emma wins the name vote with 1. For the rival, while the Butz camp put up a good fight, Gary won with twice the votes!

Litten: II
Fennekin: I
Cyndaquil: I (Typh.-H)
Snivy: I
Chespin: I
Piplup: I
Turtwig: I

Early on, Litten took the lead with two votes, and the fire kitten held onto it for the duration of voting. However, this isn't the last we've seen of the starters. We won't be able to get a fire fennec or an earth turtle right away, but soon enough we'll be able to get as many starters as we want!

Wooper-P: IIII
Ledyba: II
Zigzagoon-G: I
Sentret: I
Clamperl: I
Pumpkaboo: I
Pikachu: I
Starly: I
Hoothoot: I
Shroomish: I
Sandshrew-A: I
Shellder: I
Smoliv: I
Pawmi: I
Surskit: I
Houndour: I
Natu: I
Chingling: I
Phantump: I
Shinx: I

As for this list: Wooper-P and Ledyba are being given priority because they got multiple votes. But I will definitely be showing the rest off too in more-or-less random order.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Emma's been rather busy!

Two hours of footage to sort through and most of it is a catching spree. And I haven't even yet touched Viridian Forest. Update Soon™!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

nice

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

nice

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#003 - Litten

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 15, 2024

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Quite the dizzying number of creatures the game vomits at you from the get-go. It's a little overwhelming, but I guess that's the consequence of needing to make the entire National Dex available in a single game.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
I just want an ever increasing list of every single nickname screenshot of these pokemon, so we have our own DoubleNegative pokedex.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
I picked this hack up for myself, and have been playing with the same difficulty settings/secret codes you're using. It's pretty good and goes really fast if you're not trying to catch so many guys as you!

Your nicknames are good, can't wait to see all the mons I didn't use be showcased.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Some excellent nicknames on show here. Also you've caught so many puppies! :neckbeard:

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Black Robe posted:

Some excellent nicknames on show here. Also you've caught so many puppies! :neckbeard:

Need a 6 pokemon team of just puppy pokemon called Paw Patrol.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Cubchoo is the loving worst.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Potentially stupid question about update 2, why was the final Shedinja not KOed by Stealth Rock? Does it have heavy-duty boots or something?

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Yep, it's got boots. Makes you more or less need three mons: a rocker, one to deal with the first one, and one to deal with the last one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The fun thing is that the devs throw you multiple solutions that work. I also saw that you had a dude with roar to start the rock shuffle as well.

This is a very welcome sign as usually these challenge hacks have 1 true solution and screw anyone who wants to try their own thing.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It's also not really punishing if you fail because it just punts you back out in front of the teacher. So trying again is really quick. You can also use savestates, but the rng is not rerolled when you do.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Oh boy, this hack. It's stuffed full of so many features, and yet I've heard horrible, horrible things about the difficulty in this hack. At least it makes some of it optional and actually gives you proper tools, but it still turned me off from playing it. This should be a solid way of experiencing what it has to offer instead at least.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you play on easy mode + MGM like I did I'd say it's still a solid challenge compared to a regular Pokemon game but not particularly bullshit unless you want to do a blind Nuzlocke run or something.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Working on the next update now. In the meantime...

:shepicide:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh good, you're 10% done!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#004 - Staravia

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 20, 2024

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Getting an early start on Nacli is certainly a choice, Garganacl is an utter menace of a Pokemon. Runescape Agility Pyramid-lookin' rear end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Huh, is Ice Body having a chance to freeze on contact a rom addition? I think it always only had the hail/snow healing.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Okay yeah I could never play this game, we've already met enough of my favourites to fill out like three teams and we're not even at Brock.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Huh, is Ice Body having a chance to freeze on contact a rom addition? I think it always only had the hail/snow healing.

Yeah, RadRed makes all sorts of changes to stats, abilities, movesets, and so on. Giving Ice Body a freeze-on-touch chance is just one of those changes.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. Today's gonna be another weird one. Probably a short one by necessity. We're gonna fight Brock and then the rest of the update is gonna be doing administrative stuff.

First off, anyone who is slightly allergic to any of Brock's bullshit is being benched at least temporarily. Rock counters birds, ground counters electric, ground counters poison, and rock and ground both counter fire.

At first I was going to go with this group.

I even got them all dolled up. But then I remembered that bug is also weak to rock and decided I didn't need that point of failure either. So I pulled Eggsy in instead.

Eggsy is a Moxie Sandile, too. So he's got a brilliant career ahead of him with the team.

The guy in the gym doesn't give out free water anymore. :( He instead repeats the rules.

1: Accuracy reducing moves and evasion raising effects have been removed from this game.
2: Baton Pass is removed from this game.
3: Sleep Clause is in effect, meaning only one Pokemon per team can be put to sleep at a time.
4: OHKO moves are removed from the game.
5: There is a soft level cap before each boss, which reduces EXP gain significantly when the level cap is reached. (You get 1XP or past the cap, so it's basically impossible to grind past that point.)
6: Pokemon will disobey when levelled too far above the level cap.
7: Consumable held items come back after trainer battles.
8: You cannot Thief items from trainers.
9: You are automatically healed to full in most boss battles to prevent certain exploits.

:mad: Gimme my free bottle of water!

A shot of Eggsy's moves because I forgot to take shots of stats and moves. He's hammering everything with Bulldoze because of course he is.

This is not gonna take long.

My rock-hard willpower is evident even in my pokemon. My pokemon are all rock hard, and have true-grit determination. That's right - my pokemon are all the rock type!

You sir are a liar.

Fuhaha! You're going to challenge me knowing that you'll lose? That's the trainer's honor that compels you to challenge me. Fine, then! Show me your best!

Brock has four pokemon. Let's take a look real quick.

Looking at these, you start to understand why I chose the team I did. Eggsy is a hard counter to Alolan Geodude, Wiggles, Prize, and Grump hard counter Onix, Chilly hard counters Archen, and IRE should do a pretty good job hurting Varoom. Also Varoom is not rock type, nor thematically rock.

FireRed & LeafGreen - Gym Leader Battle

A 4x weakness to ground means one thing.

:stare: Anything more than 0 means good to go I guess!

The Onix is gonna survive regardless, and I may as well show off something new. So here's Wiggles.

Bulldoze hurts a lot, especially from Onix. But Wiggles is a champ and takes it on the chin. In return, he shows Onix a good time with Aqua Jet.

Something I don't like about RadRed is that it has a habit of, at least once per boss fight, skipping over the next upcoming pokemon and just going to "WHO TO SEND OUT NOW?"

Given no idea of what Brock was sending out, I anticipated Archen. I was wrong.

I swap her out for IRE and, seeing that a Bulldoze from Varoom does nothing, elected to have a straight fight instead.

IRE was hitting neutral, albeit with STAB, and still two shot her opponent. Sure she took a Toxic in return, but her job is done, so it was more than a fair trade.

Unlike the rest, Archen here has no defense against Chilly's bullshit.

Ice-type Quick Attack owns. :hellyeah:

The badge enables the use of the move Flash outside of battle. Of course, you must have the HM in your bag along with a pokemon that is able to learn it.

This is an explicit tutorial for how HM moves work in the field. You don't have to teach them to pokemon, you just need to be carrying one that's capable of learning the move.

So that was the first boss fight. In my usual fashion, I hilariously over-prepared.

From here, I started a long campaign of jamming rare candies into everything I had caught up to this point. I leveled everything, all 124 pokemon in my boxes, all up to 18 in this fashion.

For the sake of my own drat sanity, I'm not showing that process off. It took three very tedious hours. But I am gonna be documenting the evolutions!

Bonsly evolves when it knows Mimic in this game. It learned Mimic really early on.

Gotta show off the starter, even if he's been benched for a bit. He'll be back once he's not allergic to the gyms.

Simmons evolves at 16 as well!

I haven't forgotten about showing off Chingling. Or, I guess Chimecho now.

Dingaling is now the team's resident powerhouse with that beast of a BST.

Sumouse is trucking along too. She's got her fighting typing now and she's ready to kick rear end if need be.

Otachi is now something of a powerhouse as well. 425 BST is nothing to sneeze at so early on. Most Normal types in RR also learn Headbutt in their teens, so he's got an extremely powerful STAB move!

Slakoth evolves into Vigoroth at 16.

May immediately endeared herself to me because she learned Swords Dance upon evolving. That's the sort of gumption I like!

:goofy:

Flake is a friendship evolution. This is at level 5. God I love Pomeg berries.

I've played Gen 9. I've even read the "Gotta Critique 'Em All" on Rellor's line. I was still surprised when PoopTouch started holding up a purple and red jewel.

There are a lot of worm -> butterfly evolutions. Beautifly sure is one of them.

And RadRed has a 50/50 chance on whether Wurmple become Silcoon or Cascoon. The latter become Dustox.

Spewpa is such an awkward pokemon name. Also Buttery is apparently a Meadow Vivillion. Cool.

Dedelelelele woooooooooooooooop.

BEHOLD! I'm gonna make one pokemon turn into two!

There's now a Shedinja where one was not before. Because if you have a free spot when Nincada evolves, you get the molt as a pokemon too.

:pwn: Wut. It's a Metall. Kinda.

Hypnowl gets her evolution too! She's also pretty good for this early on. Although by now we're pretty spoilt for choice with good normal types.

Gloom is kinda cute.

JaneRuss here is cuter by virtue of being a puppy. Still my friend, too!

Having out a Roselia named Tulip is a little messed up, at least on some level.

Here we can see that RadRed made Ledian a more fitting type. If we change her ability to Iron Fist, she can kick some serious rear end!

From a level-based to a friendship-based evolution! Also Sewaddle continues to be criminally cute.

Female Burmy become Wormadam.

Male Burmy become Mothim.

Later on in RadRed, you can trade this thing's evolution for a Floette-Eternal.

Male Oinkologne look different, but there's no other differences I'm aware of. So I'm not gonna evolve one.

Pikablu is one of those eternal nicknames for me. It's perfect in every way.

You know, we're gonna have a monstrous stone evolution list once we get to Celadon.

:catstare: I know it's unintentional, but come on!

Beedrill remains one of the coolest wasp designs they could have come up with. No need to mess with perfection because they got it right the first time!

Pidgeotto is still an early-game powerhouse.

It makes me laugh, what can I say?

Alolan Raticate is just a giant hamster and it owns.

A Butterfree named Stinkhorn is just funny.

The woodpecker is evolving into a toucan! :eng101:

The name is only more apt with time.

Nothing much to say about Flaaffy.

Bibarel has seen some poo poo, man.

Give it time, we'll be using ABBA eventually. Alakazam is too good to not use.

For some reason, Skiploom is the face of Gen 2 for me. A pokemon that I've never personally used, but have memories of facing an endless stream of them in GSC/HGSS.

I'm surprised pokemon hasn't had a gnoll creature yet. It could be dark/fairy.

The final evolution of the update is skipping ahead a little bit. As soon as we leave Pewter, we get another care package. Included are 10 moon stones. Right now only one pokemon we have evolves that way, so I'm including it here just for the sake of completion.

A haunted tea set is so cool an idea.

We added 50 dex entries just from evolving everything in the boxes. :staredog: Anyway, next time: Route 3 and Mt. Moon!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

So there's a bug that looks kind of like an old Gameboy?

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Spidops is one of the most disappointing evos in the series to me. Tarountula is adorable and then it turns into an awkward amalgamation of green sticks :(

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Brock's Geodude was pretty rude for the first gym.

But Moxie Sandile gives no fucks about that.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Ventadour posted:

Spidops is one of the most disappointing evos in the series to me. Tarountula is adorable and then it turns into an awkward amalgamation of green sticks :(

I like Spidops as a design but hate how it's unambiguously the worst Gen 9 addition competitively. Gen 9 has so much powercreep that it's genuinely not even funny and yet Spidops got stuck with a base stat total of 404 that isn't even distributed particularly well.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Rabsca was surprisingly good for me in a gen 9 all bug team i played. Totally does look like poop though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oinkologne actually has different abilities based on its gender! Their hidden abilities are the same though.