Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

is winforms dpi-aware yet, or is everything still blurry on scaled displays?

they fixed all that poo poo in the .net core version after it got open sore-d.
https://github.com/dotnet/winforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

it is and has been pretty much since windows added high dpi support, but applications have to be updated to support it

hard pass

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

winforms dpi support is absolute dog poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

which is in line with the rest of winforms

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
tauri is looking good for an electron replacement imo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the last time I wrote a desktop ui app it was in Visual Basic, probably for windows 98. it was pretty easy to drag some controls around (visually, you see) and then write really lovely VB code to handle the callbacks. overall, thumbs up, would recommend for terrible intern projects.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SpaceAceJase posted:

tauri is looking good for an electron replacement imo

you’ve been able to do web views in winforms for a long time now

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

my most recent desktop off is a little menu bar app for osx to show the current swatch beats internet time. and it also has a tool to convert normal time into internet time.

and probably 10+ years ago i wrote some python desktop apps using qt, i think? to do various ArcGIS tasks. i remember those being fun to make.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

desktop development really peaked when the qt4 dance dropped

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

metro? like the thing i take to work?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i really like fx, but all the theater terms involved are kind of annoying

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

metro? like the thing i take to work?

no. like the thing we used to imply was a sexual orientation

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

no. like the thing we used to imply was a sexual orientation

what even was metrosexual anyways. "i wash my rear end crack and hole?"'

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

it was i look and talk like what a rural person thinks of as a gay man but i have sex with women

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wow looks like SOMEBODY has enough for a $20 set of beard clippers. what a fairy

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

akadajet posted:

desktop development really peaked when the qt4 dance dropped

wasnt that qt3

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Tankakern posted:

wasnt that qt3

i preferred the original quake

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

it was a way to call someone a closeted gay man without calling them a closeted gay man

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

wasnt that qt3

no?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

qt's biggest turnoff is definitely all of the c++ involved

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
qt's biggest turnoff is definitely all of the linux involved

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
ur mom says im a qt

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

oh

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Bloody posted:

qt's biggest turnoff is definitely all of the c++ involved

you might think from reading this that gtk is better because it's in C. It is not. Instead, they tried to implement objects in C and did a poo poo job

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

c/c++ are mostly at a pointless level of abstraction for ui today. when expectations were such that you could and often would reasonably push pixels interactively "by hand" being on c/c++ gave you a good shot. but now you really don't want to poke memory.

the other reason for it was being real low-memory really mattered at one point, but the runtime overheads have long stopped mattering.

beyond that, placing widgets and reacting to things at a user input pace never made sense to do that low-level. modern ui was invented together with smalltalk for good reasons, never been a point or flavor of ui where it didn't make prefect good sense to do it from smalltalk.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I spent a year designing mac/windows cross platform stuff using qt and another 2 years on windows using an unholy combo of .NET and some weird homegrown markup framework, web software sucks big time but all the suckage is known in advance, desktop software always had some weird regression bug pop out of nowhere that stopped all progress for days at a time

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Elder Postsman posted:

and probably 10+ years ago i wrote some python desktop apps using qt, i think? to do various ArcGIS tasks. i remember those being fun to make.

i found these and it was tkinter, not qt

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tk obviously showing its age, and was never quite modern, but man that too was a real nice place to be for knocking out some ui.

in fact, when i most recently used it i prototyped a little application for a customer, and then needing to do it properly in java i made the idiotic mistake of using javafx. buggiest piece of poo poo i've ever dealt with, the "proper" application took 10x longer and was worse than the prototype when i nonetheless shipped it.

but then the tk was a single-file sort of thing which would have quickly gotten out of hand had any revision been required.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’ve been working on the same large desktop application in mostly Objective-C for nearly 20 years, and was part of the team that created its current overall architecture

when I first started working on it, it had to perform reasonably on a single-core 233MHz PowerPC 750 with 256MB of RAM, a 5400rpm ATA hard disk, and 56K dialup occasionally-connected and metered Internet access

any software that users interact with should still have to fit those kinds of constraints drat it, at least for basic functionality

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

eschaton posted:

I’ve been working on the same large desktop application in mostly Objective-C for nearly 20 years, and was part of the team that created its current overall architecture

when I first started working on it, it had to perform reasonably on a single-core 233MHz PowerPC 750 with 256MB of RAM, a 5400rpm ATA hard disk, and 56K dialup occasionally-connected and metered Internet access

any software that users interact with should still have to fit those kinds of constraints drat it, at least for basic functionality
                                                                                     /
                                                                                    /

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

at work we updated from Delhi 11 to Delphi 12 last week which put rounded corners on some of the windows and this was a problem

I’m glad to be working in the C# team, haven’t needed to touch Delphi in a year

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

kind of disagree, but the performance should at least be spent on making the thing more pleasant to use and/or more pleasant to develop. lots of stuff somehow fail all of these though.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eschaton posted:

nah. I’m just going to ship my app with a whole web browser and nodejs to run my ui

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I like the ui in MuseScore. it looks like they use qml, so maybe that’s good?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

kind of disagree, but the performance should at least be spent on making the thing more pleasant to use and/or more pleasant to develop. lots of stuff somehow fail all of these though.

conuterpoint: what if we spent those resources adding and making the ui promote a useless feature my director said was our #1 priority this year instead, because then I'll get my bonus

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
at this point desktop purchasers are indirectly financing the laziness of desktop developers with ever increasing cpu, ram, and disk.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

conuterpoint: what if we spent those resources adding and making the ui promote a useless feature my director said was our #1 priority this year instead, because then I'll get my bonus

im listening…

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I certainly have no quarrel with this position

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

autohotkey is actually fully sick, yeah. We use it in our mmo to automate complex keystroke sequences and do multi binds to keys

another thing i have used for hijinks in the past is Sikuli.

back at the motorola job, we had a softphone and i wanted it to auto-answer when a call came in. sikuli can watch an area of the screen for a color change, and use that as an input to execute UI commands. so i had it stare at the INCOMING CALL widget on the softphone client; when it changed from gray to red, it would wait 2 seconds, and then move down to a specific x and y and click.

Then i just hung out on the front sidewalk all night (this was third shift and i was the only person at the plant) chain smoking and staring at the night sky, and i'd hear a click in my super long range wireless headset and know my phone picked up and could do the "thank you for calling motorola support this is jonny, am i speaking to a manager or associate, and what is your store number" while running back to my desk to work the call

brilliant

Megabound posted:

at work we updated from Delhi 11 to Delphi 12 last week which put rounded corners on some of the windows and this was a problem

they dropped the versioning. it’s just New Delhi now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
we make and ship an electron application. exporting the pain onto users and off of the devs by having a whole rear end chrome running is theoretically nice but is not as perfect as you might want it to be, and has the fun side effect of having little to no ambient knowledge to handle whatever does actually go wrong when you're on those lower levels. and it means there's a lot of fear based design to avoid system interaction even when it would be better.

that said, most of the work of making most applications is not about its interactions with the system, and it's like a million times easier to hire web people, and you can get them working on your web stuff too. i understand it and accept it but do not enjoy it.