Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

your posts are definitely as unwanted and hard to process as nuclear waste!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

apparently illinois is like 50% nuclear power which i had no idea about. also 30% coal lmao but at 50% nuke that feels like a decent baseline.

stuff like wind and solar is just too fuckin cheap so everyone’s shoving money in that instead. why shovel money into a nuke plant when you can just build a wind farm?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
there’s a giant wind farm out by ocotillo, ca

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

fascinating nuclear reactor fact: there was actually a natural nuclear reactor in gabon in western africa. two billion years ago the natural concentration of fissile uranium 235 was about 4 times higher than today, which made it possible to have a sustained chain reaction from natural rock formations.

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/meet-oklo-the-earths-two-billion-year-old-only-known-natural-nuclear-reactor

apparently water was the moderator, so the uranium deposits would get wet, heat up, and then the water would get driven off and the reaction would stop. enough for it to generate a hundred kilowatts or so for hundreds of thousands of years.

so africa had the first nuclear reactor

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Eeyo posted:

fascinating nuclear reactor fact: there was actually a natural nuclear reactor in gabon in western africa. two billion years ago the natural concentration of fissile uranium 235 was about 4 times higher than today, which made it possible to have a sustained chain reaction from natural rock formations.

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/meet-oklo-the-earths-two-billion-year-old-only-known-natural-nuclear-reactor

apparently water was the moderator, so the uranium deposits would get wet, heat up, and then the water would get driven off and the reaction would stop. enough for it to generate a hundred kilowatts or so for hundreds of thousands of years.

so africa had the first nuclear reactor

is that how they picked the site of the pyramids at giza power reactors?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

absolutely

not

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

so how did they know the pyramids could magnify the zero point field energy in africa?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i’m not supposed to say this, but it was aliens

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

so how did they know the pyramids could magnify the zero point field energy in africa?

the goa'ulds showed them

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

could you make an airplane out of solar panels so it could fly forever without needing to land and refuel?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It would never need to be refueled. The word you're looking for is recharging

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

It would never need to be refueled. The word you're looking for is recharging

but arent electrons just the fuel of electricity?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fart simpson posted:

could you make an airplane out of solar panels so it could fly forever without needing to land and refuel?

nasa did this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

but arent electrons just the fuel of electricity?

No, thats protons. pro as in pro-pulsion

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

nasa did this

cool,

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fart simpson posted:

No, i've seen that episode of batman, when you stop for the every-5-year routine maintenance, the assassin will climb in through the wheel well and kill you

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
its so hosed up that nucular waste isnt glowing green sludge

051324_3
May 13, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 13, 2024

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://youtu.be/Nth4RqqmQZ4?si=NtdJw8FvB90NdOpB

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fart simpson posted:

why arent more countries doing this? solar seems like a good partial solution but you when you really need to bust a load i dont know if it can fully keep up?

the real answer is The Green Party. for some reason they despise nuclear power and when they won in germany they made it their mission to shut down every nuclear reactor and just go back to coal. which you'd think would be the opposite of what the green party would want

im not sure if theyre being paid off or if they legitimately think that "nuclear waste" is like leaking barrels of neon green simpsons goo hanging precariously over the water supply

hbag fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 13, 2024

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hbag posted:

they legitimately think that "nuclear waste" is like leaking barrels of neon green simpsons goo hanging precariously over the water supply

its this one

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also every attempt to build nuclear power in the west takes 10,000 years, costs a quadrillion dollars, and is then plagued by safety stops which makes it less reliable than a lot of relatively easily built intermittent power.

like, if we got korea in here building the things id be on board, but a lot of the noise about just the right design i kind of doubt now. there's for sure *some* snake oil industry in messaging about 'possibilities' with 'modern designs' at this rate.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also every attempt to build nuclear power in the west takes 10,000 years, costs a quadrillion dollars, and is then plagued by safety stops which makes it less reliable than a lot of relatively easily built intermittent power.

like, if we got korea in here building the things id be on board, but a lot of the noise about just the right design i kind of doubt now. there's for sure *some* snake oil industry in messaging about 'possibilities' with 'modern designs' at this rate.

the capacity factor for american nuclear is incredibly high, both when you're comparing to other power sources and when you're comparing to nuclear in other countries

i'm not sure the "plagued by safety stops" reliability thing is real

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

the capacity factor for american nuclear is incredibly high, both when you're comparing to other power sources and when you're comparing to nuclear in other countries

i'm not sure the "plagued by safety stops" reliability thing is real

referencing europe in my case, so let me expand to: if we get the us here building it. because here it is for sure looking worse over time

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh man i forgot about "europe"!!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i was posting in reference to brit hbag posting about germany's policies, so it was pretty smooth. i have pretty severe doubts about the us doing well on its current nuclear energy program either, though obviously it helps to average across a continent much larger than you can practically transmit.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i think we should have built a lot more nuclear plants back in the 70s, 80s & 90s but we didnt and we paid the carbon costs but here in 2024 it seems like solar + pumped hydro or those crane generators or whatever fuckin storage mechanism du jour we want to use is the way to go.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
rolling coal in my nuclear power plant

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

or for all i know there'll be a new nuclear revolution with a good new design that's cheap and effective. but i am no longer taking the internet "oh, just build x" where x is some new random-rear end design that's more a large illustration in one of those "science illustrated" grade school library books than a ready to go buildable thing as a guide.

like, at some point if these things are real good the conspiracy to keep them down would break due to pure capitalism if nothing else.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

i think we should have built a lot more nuclear plants back in the 70s, 80s & 90s but we didnt and we paid the carbon costs but here in 2024 it seems like solar + pumped hydro or those crane generators or whatever fuckin storage mechanism du jour we want to use is the way to go.

pumped storage is nifty. i was reading this article the other day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taum_Sauk_Hydroelectric_Power_Station

need to store some juice?

NP just build an artificial lake on top of a nearby mountain. walls are ~100 ft high

(this is during the rebuild process; a while back it overtopped due to wave action from a hurricane and the retaining wall broke)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i like the thing where you stack blocks up real high with a crane during the day then lower them down at night, it fills my deep seated need to stack crates correctly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a crane and giant concrete tetris pieces. when you complete a line they slide out of the bottom and go back down the hill to generate power

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

a crane and giant concrete tetris pieces. when you complete a line they slide out of the bottom and go back down the hill to generate power

isn't there some big-rear end battery that's essentially just collecting rainwater at the top of a hill so they can let it flood downhill to some turbines when they need it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

that would be fine if we were building more wind and solar. we need to build more and faster, otherwise we're gonna be stuck on natural gas forever.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah. it is all really local and different. for here i have very high hopes that it'll actually work out. capital is currently falling over itself trying to build more wind (and the founders of the early companies doing it are getting rich), and we have a lot of hydro, little of which i expect will become pumped, but with some investment it will probably be all the peak and storage we need.

all pretty capitalistic a development, but it is hardly warming my leftist heart to look to the nuclear side and finding the operators pretty much demanding more subsidies or they'll get out of the business.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hbag posted:

isn't there some big-rear end battery that's essentially just collecting rainwater at the top of a hill so they can let it flood downhill to some turbines when they need it

I mean that plant i posted above absolutely will generate free energy from rainfall. Problems are twofold though

1: rain isnt consistent
2: in a lot of regions water collection is strictly regulated and you can't just hoard all the rainfall on your property. Rain barrels were illegal in Colorado until like 10 years ago. Reason being that some company could basically buy a mountain, wall it off at the bottom and hold the water hostage

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

I mean that plant i posted above absolutely will generate free energy from rainfall. Problems are twofold though

2: in a lot of regions water collection is strictly regulated and you can't just hoard all the rainfall on your property. Rain barrels were illegal in Colorado until like 10 years ago. Reason being that some company could basically buy a mountain, wall it off at the bottom and hold the water hostage

yeah you can own a piece of land but not necessarily the water rights to it. like the rain that falls out of the sky onto your property doesn't belong to you. water rights are nuts

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

very :911: to ban buckets because predatory water derivative traders wall off a mountain

but, also, yeah, its all a bit complicated. everywhere.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

that would be fine if we were building more wind and solar. we need to build more and faster, otherwise we're gonna be stuck on natural gas forever.

i mean yeah but the same argument goes triple for nuclear cause they take so long to build. Anyway i think the gist of my thing here is that the age of nuclear power for general power grid use is/should be over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we should deploy tyson turbines, they are nifty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyson_turbine

just string it across a creek and it gives u power

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...m.480p.vp9.webm