Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelfCtrl
Mar 1, 2005
I am coming back to this game all over again. Do many people play as froobs or has everyone upgraded to the latest expansions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
I'm leveling a froob agent to be a buffbunny for my paid account. Unfreezing when balance perks hit, though I won't get LoX till my paid agent maxes out SL/AI/LE content.

Telravin
Oct 15, 2008
Shadowlands has effectively split up the entire community.

Hah.

Very Very few people play as froobs. as the equipment you get from RK is Terrible. bad enough even the arks and developers think everyone else should spend 9 dollars to get a real gun for their class or nanoes that take the 30 minutes out of buffing a team or yourself. (yeah. they just took up to 3-4 nanos and put them in one. with some upgrades i suppose)

Lear
Jul 6, 2007

"My third eye is squeegied quite cleanly."
Man, interesting this thread popped back up. I was talking with a mate this weekend about MMOGs in general and an interesting topic came up: What is your favorite achievement in gaming? Like, what was it that you remember doing that you still think back on that was badass?

Mine was getting 1000 tokens in Anarchy Online. It was one of those goals that, at the time, was so freaking hard to get because the token itself was a random item instead of a guarantee (if I recall correctly). I set forth a plan and over the course of many weeks I chewed through it to get that token board with the full Sun on it (I think), since I was Clan. The stats were incredible. Anyway, that token board is probably nothing today as all these games eventually evolve past the old items, but still, it was awesome to get it.

I still have a fondness for this game, and even have the original map that came with it in a nice frame, hanging on the wall in my study.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Telravin posted:

Shadowlands has effectively split up the entire community.

This happened years ago when SL was released. It was depressing for people like me who really enjoyed Rubi-Ka and hated SL.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
To this day I do not understand why Funcom thought that creating so much dead space in Shadowlands was a good idea.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gearhead posted:

To this day I do not understand why Funcom thought that creating Shadowlands was a good idea.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :blush:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Dick Trauma posted:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :blush:

I never minded the idea of Shadowlands. It just has such critical under use of the space. Vast stretches of space with worthless mobs nobody kills, faction mobs which are a pain in the rear end to kill. And then hecklers, which the entire player base fought over.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm probably going to hop back into this at some point when my budget improves.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Gearhead posted:

I never minded the idea of Shadowlands. It just has such critical under use of the space. Vast stretches of space with worthless mobs nobody kills, faction mobs which are a pain in the rear end to kill. And then hecklers, which the entire player base fought over.

This is true of RK as well, though. But, in my opinion, this is a good thing. I wish more games actually felt large. Every inch of the world doesn't need to have something. But every inch of the world should be used to the effect of making it actually feel like a world. And they succeeded with that, both in RK and SL.

Lear
Jul 6, 2007

Personally, I thought the graphics engine of AO, especially in Shadowlands was freaking awesome. It was an excellent lesson on 'less is more', and I recall walking through RK and Shadowlands quite easily adapting what I was seeing on my monitor to what it would look like if it were real.

Man, all this talk and reminiscing of AO is making me want to bring my Engineer out of retirement!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
It wasn't so much the engine as it was the art direction. The engine is actually pretty terrible. Can't use a GPU or RAM on a graphics card properly, terribly unoptimized, largely a black box as far as the developers are concerned.

The art direction, however, for the environments is pretty incredible.

Lear
Jul 6, 2007

Gearhead posted:

It wasn't so much the engine as it was the art direction. The engine is actually pretty terrible. Can't use a GPU or RAM on a graphics card properly, terribly unoptimized, largely a black box as far as the developers are concerned.

The art direction, however, for the environments is pretty incredible.

Totally agree. I should have been more clear. The engine itself wasn't pushing out substantial polygons for it's time, and whatnot... it was the art direction was top drawer.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Lum had a recent article up somewhere talking about the dangers of making your scope so large that there's no hope of ever getting it handled, due to manpower, system limitations or whatever else. Shadowlands screams 'we had plans too big to ever actually finish before people lost interest or started getting fired.'

divyx
Nov 26, 2009
Regarding the graphics engine, they actually didn't document the current engine too good have have been battling with redoing it for Dx10 ( or will it be dx9 i can't recall ).

I played the game quite a bit again some months back, and was surprised it wasn't impossible to get group for Inferno missions or otherwise level up.

Adding more solo content would be really cool, because solo part of the quest line "Dark ruins" was one of the most enjoyable things i recall doing in the game. Nevertheless, the game has always had the potential to be best and deepest mmo out there, and for sure with the gfx update and putting some advertisement funding, Funcom should have big winner. In my opinion... :)

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
The setting is maybe my favorite of any MMO ever.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I've been playing again for about a month now and have been enjoying the game quite a bit. If anybody is clan and finds themselves needing an org let me know and I can add you to RKA United. We can actually do a bit of the end game content and as soon as we get one of the many Enfo projects people are working on (myself included) done we can run our own beast raids.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Not sure i this has been answered but I have like an 80 crat on RK2. Can you do character transfers?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I kinda wanna get back into this, but $$$. :|

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

MageMage posted:

Not sure i this has been answered but I have like an 80 crat on RK2. Can you do character transfers?

Not that I'm aware of. On the other hand, you could get a Crat to 80 in like, a couple of days.

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

Lear posted:

Totally agree. I should have been more clear. The engine itself wasn't pushing out substantial polygons for it's time, and whatnot... it was the art direction was top drawer.

I think I remember them talking about this some years back, when some article asked why they didn't just license an engine like unreal engine. They said they more or less had to make a new engine from scratch, because none of the engines that were available at the time could handle such a large world as rubi-ka. They felt that using such a small view distance would ruin the immersion of being in a large new world.

Gearhead posted:

Lum had a recent article up somewhere talking about the dangers of making your scope so large that there's no hope of ever getting it handled, due to manpower, system limitations or whatever else. Shadowlands screams 'we had plans too big to ever actually finish before people lost interest or started getting fired.'

Wasn't just shadowlands though. At release they had the same problem, where they were far far away from being finished with the game, but had to release it anyway because funcom didn't have any money left. Giving rise to the worst mmo launch in history. Again, you can see the same thing with aoc, and you can probably point to the same guy, gaute godager. I remember drinking with a dev from funcom at a norwegian gaming convention some years back, and he pretty much said the same thing. That the game director (whos name he didn't specify), wanted too much stuff in the game, and they were barely able to build the framework for it, let alone add lots of stuff.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Gaute was always Mr. Overblown. For instance, the Subway instance was supposed to end with a side by side rail car sequence battle where the PCs and Abmouth traded shots across opposing tracks.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I don't understand why they haven't added quests to this game outside of the handful there are.

Grindiestestest game I've ever played.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

blackmanjew posted:

I don't understand why they haven't added quests to this game outside of the handful there are.

Grindiestestest game I've ever played.

Because the main 'questing' system is the mission terminal system.

Considering when the game was made, this was innovative as hell.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Gearhead posted:

Because the main 'questing' system is the mission terminal system.

Considering when the game was made, this was innovative as hell.

Then at least give some reason to do these missions as opposed to doing them just for the merit badges. You get as much experience grinding in SL for 20 minutes as you do going through a 2 hour mission. I'd also like to see them add more themes to the mission system.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
This would require them, you know, working on the mission code again.

The last time they did that it nearly deep sixed the mission generator for a month.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
The AO codebase is apparently a real "HERE THERE BE DRAGONS" deal. I'm amazed they've managed as much as they have.

(And I'm totally resubbing again when they finally get the new engine done.)

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah, I kinda miss playing AO for the atmosphere and the sheer extent that you can develop your character.

Snooty fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 18, 2018

FoodStampBrown
Jul 18, 2002

"You go get your gun! And pack a lunch, you're gonna be here a while!"
A friend and I were thinking about checking this out , can anyone tell me if it runs under Wine?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

It has a silver rating on wineHQ, probably shouldn't have any problems.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

The last time I tried to make it work with Wine it flat out didn't work. It used to work, but then they did some jiggery with the launcher years ago and now it requires Internet Explorer to work.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

FoodStampBrown posted:

A friend and I were thinking about checking this out , can anyone tell me if it runs under Wine?

One of the devs posted this a while back: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=557615

FoodStampBrown
Jul 18, 2002

"You go get your gun! And pack a lunch, you're gonna be here a while!"
lol thanks for the replies :) After all all that, I can't get it to run on Windows 7 for some reason. It downloads, I hit install and that's all she wrote :(

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
After a year off, I'm back on RK1. Being a 220 Fixer with a DShark kinda makes me special, but good lord where are the goddamn choices for endgame? Everything is so..what's the word? "Choose one thing only" poo poo. Can't have anything to swap out unless I'm just a SMG-only Fixer.

So, for the next month, I'm going to be trying to get all these goddamn nanos that FC decided I needed, but never get a team that it requires to. Always the same thing :]

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

EDGECRUSHER posted:

After a year off, I'm back on RK1. Being a 220 Fixer with a DShark kinda makes me special, but good lord where are the goddamn choices for endgame? Everything is so..what's the word? "Choose one thing only" poo poo. Can't have anything to swap out unless I'm just a SMG-only Fixer.

So, for the next month, I'm going to be trying to get all these goddamn nanos that FC decided I needed, but never get a team that it requires to. Always the same thing :]

Let us know how the population is looking on RK1, I'm thinkin of resubbing, but no point if no-one plays.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

What happened with Roflbot? I tried to pop into the channel, but it says I need to have leader status to invite.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
New patch is live! I'm curious to see how the new Daily Missions turn out. Also GTH has been nerfed as the first of the Balance Update.

P.S. RIP Roflbot

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

tentacles posted:

New patch is live! I'm curious to see how the new Daily Missions turn out. Also GTH has been nerfed as the first of the Balance Update.

P.S. RIP Roflbot

Huh, interesting - what are the daily missions supposed to be anyways?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Daily quests you can do for xp, tokens, and VP.

Edit: Oh yeah, and why the gently caress is this game not 5-10 dollars a month yet, or f2p with marketplace.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Dinosaur
Sep 12, 2009
Free accounts don't have forums access so that means no tech support which means there's no way in hell I'm going to turn my account into a paying one when I hard-crash every 15 minutes without fail. What a terrible cycle.

• Locked thread