Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Probably don't need it now but here is a mirror

http://public.me.com/altarsofradness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."
Thanks for rehosting. Looks like I've got something a lot of reading to do during my downtime this week.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Um, I wouldn't exactly describe that as a "required reading list." It's some pretty heady critical visual theory. It's more like a suggested reading list for photography MFAs. Philosophical, rather than practical.

If anyone wants to plow ahead through the reading but is having difficulty tracking the critical arguments, Ashley la Grange's Basic Critical Theory for Photographers gives a decent commentary on some of the major photo theory out there.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
It's the SVA MFA Photo reading list so yeah it's a lot of critical theory and poo poo.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Whitezombi posted:

Here is the link to the Required Photography Reading.

7 seconds? I like your host.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

squidflakes posted:

7 seconds? I like your host.

So do I.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

BobTheCow posted:

I was more dressed up than most of the rest of the photographers in the press corp

even if you had puked down your front this still probably would have been true

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Speaking of reading material, I recently bought a copy of David duChemin's Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision which has a lot of practical advice regarding shooting people, landscapes, locales, cultures and such.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
So, monitor/computer-chat:

I'm thinking about treating myself to a new computer later this year. I'm not sure whether it'll be a desktop or a laptop yet, but my budget is probably going to be around $800-1000. I've been getting by with pretty crappy screens up until now: the 12" 1280x800 LCD on my 5 year old Dell laptop, a 10" 1024x600 MSI Wind :suicide:, and now a 10", 1366x768 on my HP Mininote 2140. The latter is actually pretty nice compared to what I've been used to, side by side with the old Dell it's a lot brighter, the whites are whiter, etc. I don't do a lot of printing/pro work, although I'd like to move in that direction. Bearing that in mind, I don't need anything crazy like an Eizo, just something that produces acceptable quality at an reasonable price. A Tamron 17-50 of LCD's, if you will.

As far as processing power I don't need anything too high-end. One caveat is that I'm still thinking about upgrading to a 5D2, so I'd like it to be able to handle 1080p video. Any editing would be fairly basic stuff for small personal projects, so it doesn't need to be amazingly fast. As you can kind of guess from my choices of computer up until now, I'm used to waiting :v: Even if I don't get a 5D2 I'd still really like to have the 1080p resolution (or at the very least 720p), as I don't own an HDTV or plan on buying one anytime soon. Plus, I just like having the desktop space to work with.

Laptop-wise, I'd be looking for something around 13-15 inches. My frontrunner is the Dell Studio 15, which can be ordered with a 1920x1200 LCD (with Tru-Brite or whatever) as well as optional Blue-Ray slotloading drive. I was really happy with how well my old Inspiron held up over the years and considerable travel I put it through, and the Studio is by all accounts an even bigger step up in quality, not to mention pretty reasonably priced. I've considered Apple, but the lower resolution LCD's aren't as appealing to me, as is the lack of built-in Blu-Ray option for movies. I could always buy an external display and Blu-Ray drive, but it would add to the already higher pricetag. Are there any other brands I could be looking at? I realize a laptop LCD is a compromise for image editing, but I'm willing to make it for the sake of portability (and maybe add an IPS panel later).

For desktops, I've heard good things about Apple's LCDs... looking at the costs of them it seems like buying a 24" iMac makes pretty decent sense versus a separate 24" IPS display and computer. I'm not dead set on a Mac: I use OS X at work and like it, but I've got Windows 7 on my HP and it's really not that bad either. Are there certain generations/dates to be aware when looking at the Cinema Displays/iMacs?

I'd probably be looking to buy between mid-spring and late summer, if that matters as far as release cycles and that sort of thing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's the resolution on the iMac 24?

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007
Last I heard, people were upset with the screens on the smaller iMacs. I think it was something about them being advertised (or assumed based on Apple's display history) as being 8bit panels when they weren't. They may have fixed it by now, but they certainly don't specify in their spec sheets.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

What's the resolution on the iMac 24?

1920x1200

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pompous Rhombus posted:

1920x1200

Are the 24" iMac's also hit with the yellow monitor issue? Check it out first, and be careful as the problem still hasn't been resolved on the affected iMacs.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
My 24in iMac seems to be performing well, but it's not the newest generation-- though it's probably about the last to come off the line (bought it about a two weeks and a day before they announced the new ones...argh)

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
I'm not familiar with iMac but I do know that some of the Apple Cinema displays were having problems with calibration. They might have fixed that since then.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TsarAlexi posted:

My 24in iMac seems to be performing well, but it's not the newest generation-- though it's probably about the last to come off the line (bought it about a two weeks and a day before they announced the new ones...argh)

Have you tried checking for the yellowing issue on it? It sounds like the problems cropped up with the latest generation of iMacs. I'd probably be buying an older one anyways.

germskr posted:

I'm not familiar with iMac but I do know that some of the Apple Cinema displays were having problems with calibration. They might have fixed that since then.

Read up on that, jesus what a clusterfuck. Still no resolution as of yesterday, doesn't look like Apple is even acknowledging it as a widespread issue.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Read up on that, jesus what a clusterfuck. Still no resolution as of yesterday, doesn't look like Apple is even acknowledging it as a widespread issue.

I'm waiting to see how Apple spins it as a feature.

"It's 'organic' color!"

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I wouldn't worry about the issue. Even if you do get a dud you can just take it to the store and swap it out no problem.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Have you tried checking for the yellowing issue on it? It sounds like the problems cropped up with the latest generation of iMacs. I'd probably be buying an older one anyways.

Evidence seems to indicate that it's not a problem on the previous gen ones anyway, but I ran the test and it seems fine. There might be a bit of a tinge in the bottom right corner, less than a half inch worth though so I'm not really concerned.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

TsarAleksi posted:

Evidence seems to indicate that it's not a problem on the previous gen ones anyway, but I ran the test and it seems fine. There might be a bit of a tinge in the bottom right corner, less than a half inch worth though so I'm not really concerned.

Unless it spreads. Not that it would, but that would be funny. For me.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
hey peoples looking for schooling. I found this http://photohistory.jeffcurto.com/ its a college class that is also a podcast for freezies. I've listened to the first three clases from Fall 09 to make sure its not terrible. I've been learning alot so far because I have zero knowledge of the history of art or photography. The professor seems to be pretty organized and is an easy listen. It feels very much like a typical survey intro course, so his jokes tend to be pretty cheesy.

wheezy360
Mar 8, 2006
I hope this is a suitable thread to ask... Wondering if I could get some opinions on the resale value of the gear I've got. How much (in Canadian) do you think I could get for the following:

Pentax K100D Super 6.1MP
18-55mm kit lens
smc PENTAX DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED lens
smc 50mm F2.0 MF lens

I could throw in the 4GB SD card and card reader since I don't have the USB cable any more. Depends on the buyer I guess. If they don't need it then I'll keep it.

I want to get a pretty new Canon Rebel T1i so I'm hoping to take a chunk out of the bill by selling my current setup.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Ive got the 2009 24" imac and love it, completely different than editing on a laptop, couldnt go back.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

I'm waiting to see how Apple spins it as a feature.

Yeah, I almost wrote "which isn't a surprise because they never cop to screwing up" but I didn't want to start a Mac/PC gang war :v:

Haggins posted:

I wouldn't worry about the issue. Even if you do get a dud you can just take it to the store and swap it out no problem.

I was most likely going to buy a used one (locally would be great, although may go with eBay) so I'm assuming I won't have that option. An Apple refurb is a possibility though.

From reading up, people have gone back 4 and 5 times to swap their jaundiced iMacs for new ones and each successive one has had the same issue.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

hey peoples looking for schooling. I found this http://photohistory.jeffcurto.com/ its a college class that is also a podcast for freezies. I've listened to the first three clases from Fall 09 to make sure its not terrible. I've been learning alot so far because I have zero knowledge of the history of art or photography. The professor seems to be pretty organized and is an easy listen. It feels very much like a typical survey intro course, so his jokes tend to be pretty cheesy.

Thanks! This will keep me busy at work for a long time yet. Don't suppose anyone who's downloaded everything from his archive would care to make a .RAR file? ;)

Also, lol at his feed description (at least through Google Reader) apparently being hijacked:

brad industry
May 22, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This sounds sweet, thanks for posting.

Laze
Nov 15, 2006
Trust me, I'm a scientist.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

These are awesome, especially with his embedded slides and pictures. I would have paid good money for this, thanks internet! (and AIIAZNSK8ER!)

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34979410/

Associated Press posted:

LONDON - Organizers of a wildlife photography competition have disqualified the winning image of a leaping wolf after an investigation determined the animal was trained, not wild.

Judges for the prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition had praised Spanish photographer Jose Luis Rodriguez's image featuring an Iberian wolf for its "fairy tale" quality but later became suspicious about its authenticity.

Competition spokeswoman Louise Emerson said Wednesday that judges had investigated and decided that the wolf is probably "an animal model that can be hired for photographic purposes."

The competition's rules said the use of captive animals must be declared. Rodriguez was stripped of the award.

Emerson says Rodriguez denies using a model wolf.

To be honest, I thought it was a setup from the start.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I was most likely going to buy a used one (locally would be great, although may go with eBay) so I'm assuming I won't have that option. An Apple refurb is a possibility though.

I think even if you buy it used the one year warranty is still good and you can just take it to the store if there is a problem. Getting a refurb from Apple is a great idea since it'll be in perfect condition (hell, probably better than new since they inspect them closely) and you save a lot of money. Also you get the same warranty as a new machine. I've been pretty happy with my refurb MBP I bought last year.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
The shutter on my camera (Canon Rebel XT) has been acting up lately. Whenever I try to take a picture, it makes kind of a half shutter-click noise, 'Error 99' pops up on the LCD, and the image through the viewfinder gets dim, as if I had pressed the DOF button, and stays that way. If I remove the lens (Tamron 70-300) and put it back on again, I can hear something click back into place and everything is appears to be normal again. If I instead press the DOF button the screen stays dimmed (and gets successively darker each time I press the button) until I do the little lens trick again.

The guy at the local camera shop seemed suspiciously eager to blame it on the lens, coming to that conclusion before I even fully finished telling him what the problem was, and I'm looking for a second opinion. I've been planning on getting a new telephoto to replace it somewhere down the line, but I really want to know whether the lens is totaled (I'm not interested in paying a couple hundred dollars to have it fixed) before I close the book on it. Any thoughts?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Does anyone have a practical guide to composition that goes beyond Rule of Thirds? one thing I'm quite bad at is composing my photos quickly and I think if I had a set of rules to learn off first I'd learn a lot faster.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

XTimmy posted:

Does anyone have a practical guide to composition that goes beyond Rule of Thirds? one thing I'm quite bad at is composing my photos quickly and I think if I had a set of rules to learn off first I'd learn a lot faster.

The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos

The "Click to Look Inside" bit will show you a contents page that'll help you decide if it's what you're looking for.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This is really interesting. I only took one photo class in school and it was pathetic all around. Before about two years ago I couldn't even name one photographer other than Ansel Adams. I've become more more interested in history, am beginning to dip my toe into theory, and this course is really great. I'm learning a lot of stuff that I've felt I should know for a while now.

I'm greatly considering going back to school in two to three years, and I plan on soaking up stuff like this and the big batch of reading material posted earlier to get me back into the right frame of mind.

Thank you.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

XTimmy posted:

Just get books on the basic elements/principles of design. Composing a photograph is no different than designing any other two dimensional image.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Ric posted:

Here's a comparison showing this:

The left image is exposed for the highlights. The middle image is the same file with shadow detail recovered. The right image is the same scene exposed for the shadows.

I'm kind of new to this so could you explain what you mean by "exposing for the highlights, then the shadow" and so on?

Also are there any decent video tutorials that explain to me how to use masks and such in LightRoom or Photoshop? I see people talking about masking off the skies to change the exposure of it and such and the final product is really nice and I'd like to learn how to do that. I'm definitely more of a "show me" type than a read a tutorial type, but only when it comes to visual stuff (thank god, otherwise I'd probably gouge my eyes out watching someone show me how to program/code something).

Speaking of LR, I read a few pages (more like 10+) back that the LR3 beta is out and I downloaded it. I use LR2 right now and I'd like to try out LR3 but it expires (obviously) in April and I'd hate for all of my work to be incompatible once I uninstall it. Is LR3 worth using over LR2?

And one more thing! Is there a program that will let me sync specific folders between two computers? I figured I should probably back up all of my pictures (all RAWs since it doesn't make much sense to me to keep any jpegs that I've exported) in case this hard drive eats it or I lose this laptop or something. Dropbox isn't going to work out for me even with LAN syncing because files will still be uploaded "into the cloud," just not as a priority, or at least that's what I read. Either way, I don't have the space for this in my Dropbox account and I use it for school files so I'd like to keep it separate.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Eutheria posted:

The shutter on my camera (Canon Rebel XT) has been acting up lately. Whenever I try to take a picture, it makes kind of a half shutter-click noise, 'Error 99' pops up on the LCD, and the image through the viewfinder gets dim, as if I had pressed the DOF button, and stays that way. If I remove the lens (Tamron 70-300) and put it back on again, I can hear something click back into place and everything is appears to be normal again. If I instead press the DOF button the screen stays dimmed (and gets successively darker each time I press the button) until I do the little lens trick again.

The guy at the local camera shop seemed suspiciously eager to blame it on the lens, coming to that conclusion before I even fully finished telling him what the problem was, and I'm looking for a second opinion. I've been planning on getting a new telephoto to replace it somewhere down the line, but I really want to know whether the lens is totaled (I'm not interested in paying a couple hundred dollars to have it fixed) before I close the book on it. Any thoughts?

Do your other lenses cause the same problem? If not, then yeah it is almost definitely the Tamron. You could also ask someone else to try the lens on their camera and see if it gets the same result.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Interrupting Moss posted:

This is really interesting. I only took one photo class in school and it was pathetic all around. Before about two years ago I couldn't even name one photographer other than Ansel Adams. I've become more more interested in history, am beginning to dip my toe into theory, and this course is really great. I'm learning a lot of stuff that I've felt I should know for a while now.

I'm greatly considering going back to school in two to three years, and I plan on soaking up stuff like this and the big batch of reading material posted earlier to get me back into the right frame of mind.

Thank you.

the cool thing for me so far is to realize that photography is still very new, and that not much has changed. just listening to the history makes me feel better about everything im doing.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Eutheria posted:

echoing Rhombus, I think you need to try a different lens on it. It sounds like the aperture blades could be sticking on the Tamron.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Thanks! I have accsess to a university library I should probably use it.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Ziir posted:

And one more thing! Is there a program that will let me sync specific folders between two computers?

I dunno if you're on a Mac but I use SuperDuper to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Do your other lenses cause the same problem? If not, then yeah it is almost definitely the Tamron. You could also ask someone else to try the lens on their camera and see if it gets the same result.

dakana posted:

echoing Rhombus, I think you need to try a different lens on it. It sounds like the aperture blades could be sticking on the Tamron.
Yeah, that's something that I've been trying to figure out for the past week. Unfortunately, whenever I sit down and try to isolate what the cause is, the problem has the tendency to disappear; and until I can reliably replicate it, I can't fully determine whether it's actually the lens or something else.

So, if in the end the lens truly is the problem and isn't worth the cost of repairing, what should I do with it? Do places/people buy broken lenses for scrap or anything, or should I just toss it in the trash?