Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW
I have played this game and CoD:ghosts on the xbone.

It wasn't my xbone, but a friend is here and brought it.

CoD"ghosts drops frames like dog crap. It gave me a headache.

Forza was like GT2 on the PS one with all the jaggies, and it does drop frames. I am using a quality panasonic 48 inch tv, and at times the game gets artifacts stuck in the corners.

The tv is only like a year old. Also, gently caress you if you want to connect the bone to a 7.1 reviver. STEREO IS THE ONLY OPTION.

tl:dr my friends at my house saying how the xbone is good and my tv hates him for it.

Plus side I can yell x BOX GO HOME and it does just that, also my cat is a guest, so is my tiki idol god from Hawaii.

This is not a troll all these events are occurring real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Ironed Idol posted:

The tv is only like a year old. Also, gently caress you if you want to connect the bone to a 7.1 reviver. STEREO IS THE ONLY OPTION.

What are you talking about? You can do 7.1 DTS or PCM. I'm doing it right now.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sure, I'm happy to!

The question was, "So why did they drop new cars that were added for Forza 4?"

The answer is: We only know what Dan Greenwalt said. He said, to paraphrase, "If it didn't meet our next-gen look, we scrapped it for later." I think I got that about right.

Asking for anything more than that, in this thread, is like asking in Musician's Lounge why Fender chose this paint over that one when no one in the Lounge actually works for Fender so no one in the Lounge can actually give an expert testimony or any other answer than guesses and press releases.

While I understand what you are saying, that doesn't mean one of the developers has not told a reporter, sent a tweet, posted on NeoGAF, made a facebook update that might contain the answer to that question. Not everyone knows what information is out there. Sometimes questions are asked in threads and others link to articles with the answers. It is fairly common for this to happen.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 26, 2013

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm interested in this answer too because I have a wheel for the PC. However, I haven't played a PC racing game yet that has been as fun at FM4. Maybe it was the company, but I feel like a lot of the PC sims are too goddamn serious and don't allow for the 90s Golf Challenge races that I love in GTCC.

You need Grid and Grid 2. If you want something closer to Forza 5, there's always RaceRoom Experience. :v:

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW

Pudgygiant posted:

What are you talking about? You can do 7.1 DTS or PCM. I'm doing it right now.

It reverts to stereo. All the speakers are right and left the bass one is confused.

My receiver is a Panasonic as well, it keeps going back to stereo.

It just doesn't

edit: I just yelled xbox bing my rear end, and it brought up donkeys

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Man I loved Forza 4, but from what it looks like, it's just not worth the ~600 dollar price tag to play it for me. Which is a shame too, it was basically the only game that would make me even consider an xbone.

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW
Ok I take everything I have said back, the xbone is a troll console.

XBOX BING MY rear end

this is the most fun ive had in years

sue me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW
7.1 just doesn't work, in any configuration, its stereo or nothing.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Ironed Idol posted:

also my cat is a guest, so is my tiki idol god from Hawaii.
Make profiles for them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

YourAverageJoe posted:

You need Grid and Grid 2. If you want something closer to Forza 5, there's always RaceRoom Experience. :v:

Those were the games that first popped into my head when I saw that question, too. Grid 1, especially, really nails that "crap to supercar" transition. One of my favorite racers ever. 2 is a bit arcadey-er, but still great fun.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GRID had a really wonky and honestly kinda lovely handling model. I enjoyed it for what it was I guess, but it is in no way comparable to Forza and definitely not a game to play in place of Forza.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Cannot Find Server posted:

The R32 Skyline and 2nd gen MR2 are two that were definitely reused, and I'd imagine most/all 2011 and 2010 models are reused as well.

From what I've been reading on the official forums, the R32 Skyline is one of the most obvious reused cars because that model has been used since Forza 2.

I am going to have to check this out. As a side note I drove stock R32 GTR Friday and they held up pretty good. The AWD feels great, although it's still about as fast as a warmed up new WRX.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

wernox posted:

I think both....but my biggest screwups came right around the little kink before the big left hander...
Ah, the Chase down at the bottom of Conrod Straight.

Now depending on your car, you should be able to go through the right hand kink flat out. If you see just before the kink on the left hand side of the track it has a little bit of asphalt hanging out on its own. As soon as you hit that point, start turning. Just before you see the braking markers for the left hand corner, slam on the brakes. Hard. Try to make sure you are on the outside of the corner as much as possible. Depending on my car I usually driving I can get through the left, then right turn in either 2nd or 3rd gear.

Ironed Idol: I think there is a hardware issue with the XBox as I haven't seen those issues in Forza on mine.

solarbeam
Nov 29, 2005
edit: oops wrong thread

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Yeah, there are audio options. Looks like the burden is on the end user to set their TV and audio up correctly though, so... THANKS MICROSOFT

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

It needs to be all original cars or i'm not down with it.
Why?

If you bought a 787B in FM4, but it was DLC in FM5; why wouldn't you buy it again? The 787B doesn't blow your skirt up enough?
What car would I have to substitute for the Mazda to get you to say, "Oh ok, for the new version I'd buy that car again?"

Don't lie to me, ISCI!. I know there are cars out there that have been done that you want that badly.

Be honest.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Ironed Idol posted:

7.1 just doesn't work, in any configuration, its stereo or nothing.

Call xbox support live.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How often with any product, really, do you hear people go "man I really liked X! I can't wait to buy the exact same thing again in a few years!"

There's some sort of expectation that when you buy something, you're buying something different from what you own before, that you aren't just paying an arbitrary amount of money to use something you own some more, especially when next to no effort is required on the developers part to port to said new game. With some games (like Train Simulator) moving your previously bought DLC forward through iterations, making you buy the same car as DLC through multiple $60 games feels like highway robbery.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 26, 2013

bibz
Jan 29, 2004
Forza 4 looks like last gen rubbish compared. It also had a horrible understeer lock on the front tyres that you had to drive around. It was a fun game, but to be honest way less of a jump from 3 then 3 was to 2. A shittonne of content though. Triangles alone don't help graphics, though overloading bloom doesn't either. I'd still turn down the flare a fair bit in 5, since lens coatings have moved ahead in the last 30 years, but the game in motion doesn't really compare. Try playing a pc game (or youtubing) in dx8 or 9 then jump to 11 and you can see the difference. Lighting and shader fx make a hell of a difference. It's why old pc games look flat compared to more modern software. I like what they've done here. If the bright bits are too bright, use the video setup to tame that, which leads me into...

If you're getting jaggies don't have the tv setup for sd content like I originally did. Turn all the motion bs off and sharpness or noise control shouldn't be doing much at all. Much smoother, crisper, and less contrasty makes it very nice to look at.

No one is loving forcing you to get all the dlc and a expensive wheel (happy with my g27 on pc) just to play the boxed game. It'd be fun to use sure but I love the controller and the new trigger stuff is a very nice touch. I got most of the cost of console and games through gifts, so it was a no brainer. But if you're looking at a single game to be worth $650+ you're looking at things the wrong way. It's definitely worth 60us, if you're gonna end up with an xbone anyways.

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, there are audio options. Looks like the burden is on the end user to set their TV and audio up correctly though, so... THANKS MICROSOFT

that sure is a checkmark.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well, it sure is playing 7.1 audio on my setup, so

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/news/FM5_LE_Announce posted:

In addition, Forza Motorsport 5 Limited Edition owners will receive a custom Steelbook™ case, a decal sheet featuring “Forza Motorsport 5”, “Xbox One”, and Audi window decals, and 1,250 car tokens (a $9.99 value) that will allow Limited Edition owners instant access to any car in the game. The Forza Motorsport 5 Limited Edition will be available for an estimated retail price of $79.99 at launch and is now available for pre-order at participating retailers.
I wonder what they're going to do for FM5 LE customers. The 1,250 token allotment isn't nearly enough to obtain any car in the retail version. Around ten times more tokens would be needed.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Ironed Idol posted:

that sure is a checkmark.

Forza, BF4, and Zoo Tycoon are all doing superb positional audio. I think you just have a cheap as gently caress HTIB receiver.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Did anyone else get gifted two cars from "Franchise"?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cream posted:

What are you getting from this game that you didn't get from 4?

Well, there's driving against Drivatars that are pretty much as predictable as your well-driving friends:
http://sdrv.ms/19YbqGb

You can drift Eau Rouge in a 1976 McLaren F1 car with cold tires because some jerk in a P1 brake checked you:
http://sdrv.ms/1iNaYCr

And you can slalom down Bathurst in a RUF Yellowbird:
http://sdrv.ms/1heUGTD

Oh and you can record and upload videos to share with almost zero effort, that's neat too. Also, the controllers/new triggers are great, they let even scrub-tier wheel drivers like myself powerslide even the trickiest handful with ease. :mmmhmm:

What's missing:
The 'Ring
Fujimi Kaido
Suzuka
Positano Full (Was not in Forza 4 either because 360 microtransactions, shocking greed etc. Also not released as DLC because.. something)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Well, it sure is playing 7.1 audio on my setup, so

Dolby surround is not supported over the optical port currently, so that may be why they cannot get anything other than stereo on their setup.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
LCE owners get VIP status which allows access to VIP rivals event, a few extra cars to grind for and T10 sends you cars periodically. hitze I've received 3 cars, the Audi RS7 Sportback, The Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and a Ford Fiesta ST. I read somewhere they were attached to the new Forza Rewards just not listed on the page, but maybe they're just VIP cars from T10 I didn't think about it too much. Thanks to the people that pointed out that I actually have to activate DTS in the Xbone menu. Why doesn't that poo poo auto-detect?! While we're on Xbone setting what about the Color bit rate what do I chose? 36 bit? Ether Frenzy I'm gonna pester you in IRC about how to do that video upload stuff. GentlemanofLeisure could you also remind people in the OP that we have an IRC channel?

General Probe fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 26, 2013

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Mirificus posted:

I wonder what they're going to do for FM5 LE customers. The 1,250 token allotment isn't nearly enough to obtain any car in the retail version. Around ten times more tokens would be needed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av_kcTrf_YFedFNZRVVRQmVJanVNVE9ic2t4VnpvRVE&usp=sharing#gid=0

That's just simply not true. I hate the whole token price creep as much as anyone, but 1250 tokens buys you about $750k worth of cars.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pvax posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av_kcTrf_YFedFNZRVVRQmVJanVNVE9ic2t4VnpvRVE&usp=sharing#gid=0

That's just simply not true. I hate the whole token price creep as much as anyone, but 1250 tokens buys you about $750k worth of cars.

What isn't true? The LE says that you get enough tokens to buy any car, but you can't.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Oh, and VIP members are supposed to get an XP bonus of some kind but there seems to be confusion over whether it's actually being applied or not. I think the exchange rate is 1 token = 500 credits so the total for us should be equal to 625,000 cr.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

I misread. I didn't realize you were all 'sperging about the exact wording on a press release. With all the crap info that gets thrown about lately by those hellbent on hating all things MS, I thought he meant you couldn't get ANY car at all for the 1250. Sorry - I treat Xbone threads like Tea Party emails i get from my uncle and fact check everything haha.

At least people who really want to know what they can get for 1250 tokens have a real answer as to what they can get - about 750k worth of cars.

Edit: so I don't waste any more space on this as I don;t think it's that big a deal. I read that from the get go as "any car in the game (that costs less than 1250 tokens)". I must be weird

pvax fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 26, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pvax posted:

I misread. I didn't realize you were all 'sperging about the exact wording on a press release. With all the crap info that gets thrown about lately by those hellbent on hating all things MS, I thought he meant you couldn't get ANY car at all for the 1250. Sorry - I treat Xbone threads like Tea Party emails i get from my uncle and fact check everything haha.

At least people who really want to know what they can get for 1250 tokens have a real answer as to what they can get - about 750k worth of cars.

"1,250 car tokens that will allow Limited Edition owners instant access to any car in the game"

Sorry, this seems pretty cut and dry.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

General Probe posted:

LCE owners get VIP status which allows access to VIP rivals event, a few extra cars to grind for and T10 sends you cars periodically. hitze I've received 3 cars, the Audi RS7 Sportback, The Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and a Ford Fiesta ST. I read somewhere they were attached to the new Forza Rewards just not listed on the page, but maybe they're just VIP cars from T10 I didn't think about it too much. Thanks to the people that pointed out that I actually have to activate DTS in the Xbone menu. Why doesn't that poo poo auto-detect?! While we're on Xbone setting what about the Color bit rate what do I chose? 36 bit? Ether Frenzy I'm gonna pester you in IRC about how to do that video upload stuff. GentlemanofLeisure could you also remind people in the OP that we have an IRC channel?

Ah that makes sense I totally cashed in on the forza rewards thing and got 30k plus those two cars I guess.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

I don't like how conversions just say "Street Powertrain Swap". It was pretty awesome in previous Forzas to do poo poo like the LS1 Miata, LT1 Solstice, or 302 Ka.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey I have a general question about this game and even the previous games in the series.

Does the ABS system kinda suck? It looks like it still locks up some. I'd expect that if I was driving a car from the 80s or even 90s but now ABS systems are usually 4 channel, react extremely quickly, etc. I just kinda expect if I turn on the ABS assist I can just hold down the brake all the way and not worry about it. I don't know empirically if it's a lot worse than just threshold braking but it feels that way.

P.S. I love Prague so I was really excited to see that as a location in the game.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Are the leaderboards class-specific? There's no loving way I can get 1:22 on Road Atlanta Full in B-class.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It seems like sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't; I haven't quite studied it enough to figure out what's going on. Some leaderboards also count multiple lap times too...?
Edit: I mean the times are for going around the track multiple laps sometimes, or it looked like that.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 26, 2013

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I forgot the best part about any Forza release. Is there a soundtrack CD available for this game yet? Just watching videos of the menu music makes me want one. Seriously, for Forza 4 one of the things I anticipated the most was just so see what new awesomeness Lance Hayes could do for us. :allears:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yes.
http://www.amazon.com/Forza-Motorsport-5-Lance-Hayes/dp/B00GM9GZVG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385457849&sr=8-2&keywords=forza+5+soundtrack
Sometimes it reminds me of some of the Halo music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Ok so #1, I spent a few of my tokens making a batshit crazy Mini. Too many. #2, the game gets a little weird when you drive a 700hp Mini. I like to think this is a nextgen moment of how it would feel to be doing that but...

• Locked thread