Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bubba Smith posted:

Nope. Just turned it on and stood right next to it and whatever little whirring noises it does make I can barely hear, and once the menu music started it became impossible to hear the console at all. I started up The Last of Us and didn't hear it read the disc at all.

Like another poster said I don't have mine trapped in an entertainment center or anything. It's out in the open.

The only time I ever hear my launch unit is when it's installing a disc. It goes "Wheeee..... whoooo.... wheeee..... whoooo... wheeee... whoooo" like a whining spin up/spin down. THAT is pretty loud, but it is only for disc-read install stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mine's silent when it's not running a disc game. It sounds like a jet engine when running a disc game, but pretty quiet when playing a bluray movie. :shrug:

I thought this was because the PS4's disc drive is 6x speed, and Blu-ray discs only need to run at 1x speed, but once the game's been installed all the disc is needed for is verification when you start it.

The PS3 only had a 2x speed drive, which was about 2/3 the speed of the 360's DVD drive, although muddled by Blu-ray using constant angular velocity rather than linear.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

The Gunslinger posted:

Ok I was with you until that edit. You didn't hear it read the disc from standing right next to it? The BD drive is pretty audible at game start up, much moreso than the system.

I will contact support and see about getting a replacement but I'm starting to wonder if people are exaggerating. My PS4 isn't Xbox 360 launch loud or something but I definitely hear it constantly and after playing something for awhile it does get a bit annoying.

PS4s are not quiet. I seriously think people who say it are lying to themselves. Or have bad hearing. I can't hear it over the loving audio of a game, but if its muted I sure as poo poo can. This is the case for mine, and 3 friends of mine's, PS4s.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
All this talk about noisy disc drives has me thinking I should probably figure out where that is on my PS4 for when I eventually need to put a disc in.

Physical media, ha.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I hope rear end Creed Rouge gets a next gen release. If they could do it for Black Flag do it for Rouge! I'm an assassin creed fanboy and so will buy pretty much anything, and Unity looks good but I wanna play as irish templar assassin guy and I'd kinda hoped I'd be able to get rid of my 360 by the time Rouge comes out...

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

ddogflex posted:

PS4s are not quiet. I seriously think people who say it are lying to themselves. Or have bad hearing. I can't hear it over the loving audio of a game, but if its muted I sure as poo poo can. This is the case for mine, and 3 friends of mine's, PS4s.

Well mine is. I have my TV on mute and my fan off to prove this dumb post and after 1 match of TLOU MP I haven't heard a single noise.

Yes, when I literally plant my ear right on top of the console I can hear a small fan spinning. This is a problem for all of those times I'm watching a movie and I have my PS4 resting on my shoulder.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Skeezy posted:

I wonder if AC: Rogue will be the continuation of the present day stuff that Black Flag did and Unity is new present day stuff.

This seems like a safe bet given how that thing said the present day stuff would be different and Rogue features more ship stuff.

ddogflex posted:

My PS4 is louder than my slim PS3, but quieter than the fat PS3, definitely quieter than my PC, but that thing has like 5 or 6 fans in it. I'd almost say Gunslinger should record his PS4 so we can actually hear it, but that might be too effective. I could see it being a case of people just having different tolerances for various white-noise, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I've never put a disc in but mine is quiet even during 64 player BF4 matches. Makes sense that it's the disc drive itself, but I thought games don't run off disc anymore? All PS4 games have to be installed, with the disc acting as proof of ownership.

Also interesting to see a lot of stick/grip talk. Grips helped me a lot, if you're on the fence it's totally worth the small dollar investment in them. For how much it improves how I feel controlling the gameplay, it's a seriously great bang-for-buck addition to the console. My thumbs get zero fatigue now.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Not sure if I should grab a PS4 gold headset off of Amazon for $80 or wait and see if Tiger Direct gets more in stock for the rebate. Been checking everyday but nothing. My local Tiger Direct doesn't even seem to carry them at all, no price tag in store where all the other console stuff is but they have a bunch of PS3 elite headsets.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Brightman posted:

I could see it being a case of people just having different tolerances for various white-noise, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

That's exactly what I think it is. There is a small fan in the thing. The processor generates heat. The fan will spin to cool it down. Fans spinning makes noise. The thing isn't passively cooled. If it's silent there is a problem. I'm not saying it's loud for gently caress's sake, just not QUIET. It's not like Macbook loud or anything.

Also bubba smith seems upset for some reason. Hell, maybe yours is silent, sir, but that's not the norm. It could even mean a problem, like busted fans. Again, not saying it's loud, we may just have different definitions of quiet.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I just realized I don't even know where the power button or the disc drive is on the PS4 itself.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Hey, not to disrupt this dumb as poo poo argument in the middle of it raging for another 10 pages, but maybe different PS4s run at different noise levels.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They're the two silver bits on the front between the left and right segments. No idea which one is power and which is eject, though.

The disk drive is in the front slit, but I can't be more specific than "slide the disc along the plastic until it pops in".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I just realized I don't even know where the power button or the disc drive is on the PS4 itself.
Yeah, it's not like they made them easy to find. Also, I was going to write "or identified which is which in any way" but I looked close and there are impossibly tiny little symbols on them for power on/off and disc eject. I don't have bad eyes or anything but goddamn I had to squint like hell to see which symbol was which.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

Hey, not to disrupt this dumb as poo poo argument in the middle of it raging for another 10 pages, but maybe different PS4s run at different noise levels.

It's almost like some people might have different environments and ambient temperatures which would affect the amount of active(fan) vs. passive cooling that needs to happen.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I hooked up my new PS4 yesterday and couldn't figure out how to turn it on. Eventually I just ran my hand over the whole face and realized where the capacitive buttons were.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

ddogflex posted:

That's exactly what I think it is. There is a small fan in the thing. The processor generates heat. The fan will spin to cool it down. Fans spinning makes noise. The thing isn't passively cooled. If it's silent there is a problem. I'm not saying it's loud for gently caress's sake, just not QUIET. It's not like Macbook loud or anything.

Also bubba smith seems upset for some reason. Hell, maybe yours is silent, sir, but that's not the norm. It could even mean a problem, like busted fans. Again, not saying it's loud, we may just have different definitions of quiet.

I'm not upset, just you accused people like me of "lying to myself or have bad hearing" when that isn't the case.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Skeezy posted:

I wonder if AC: Rogue will be the continuation of the present day stuff that Black Flag did and Unity is new present day stuff.

Possibly. While nothing about the present day plots has been announced, Rogue is apparently going to be much more of a sequel to Black Flag than Unity and has even been described as "the final instalment of Assassin's Creed's North America Trilogy". I wouldn't be shocked if this general philosophy also applies to the present-day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mustang posted:

Not sure if I should grab a PS4 gold headset off of Amazon for $80 or wait and see if Tiger Direct gets more in stock for the rebate. Been checking everyday but nothing. My local Tiger Direct doesn't even seem to carry them at all, no price tag in store where all the other console stuff is but they have a bunch of PS3 elite headsets.

There seems to have been a ton of deals on then recently just check slickdeals.net

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mustang posted:

If you want them on amazon just make a pricewatch via camel3. Personally I am going to wait for a black friday deal.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I have my PS4 propped up on two small pieces of wood so it gets great air flow and I've never even noticed the fan.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mustang posted:

I have my PS4 propped up on two small pieces of wood so it gets great air flow and I've never even noticed the fan.

gently caress that. I have mine hanging from a complex contraption of pulleys and fishing wire. OPTIMAL AIRFLOW!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Reminds me of that one time my uncle took the fans out of his PC because he said they started to spin up and make a lot of noise too often. I discovered it when he called me to investigate why his system was running like dog poo poo. Turned out it was because the CPU was throttling itself because it was generating excess heat. :downs:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just bought a $10 vertical stand.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

How good is the port of TLOU? I only like spending money on especially pretty groupings of pixels.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's the exact same game with more pixels and more frames per second. No new problems introduced.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

black.lion posted:

How good is the port of TLOU? I only like spending money on especially pretty groupings of pixels.

As somone who doesn't actually like TLoU all that much, and indeed never finished the game on PS3 because they got sick to death of everything about playing it, but who nonetheless bought the remastered edition because... reasons (possible involving friday-juice), TLoU Remastered is an especially pretty grouping of pixels on PS4. It is the most accomplished edition of the game from a technical perspective and, for good or ill, plays the same as before.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I just bought a $10 vertical stand.

Does that improve things much? For $10 I would be quite happy if it dropped the noise a bit. It's not so much that its "loud" as the fan is small/whiny so its noticeable. I do own most of my games physically but I only really hear the drive at startup so I don't think that's related.

Anyways I didn't mean to start a big derail, just looking to address it as best I can.

quote:

Also interesting to see a lot of stick/grip talk. Grips helped me a lot, if you're on the fence it's totally worth the small dollar investment in them. For how much it improves how I feel controlling the gameplay, it's a seriously great bang-for-buck addition to the console. My thumbs get zero fatigue now.

Which grips did you buy? I'm weighing doing the Bone thumbstick mod vs just buying some grips. I might do the mod anyway to replace the lovely battery in the DS4 but it's nice to have options.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I've had a lot more minor glitches on the PS4 version of TLoU than I ever did on the PS3 version, but I seem to be in the minority. When I say minor glitches, I mean like "aiming without a gun" or "melee weapons not working". Minor annoyances at worst. Sometimes grabbing people doesn't exactly work, either.

Otherwise, it's the same game as before but with more graphs. Some people have had problems with the matchmaking but Naughty Dog is working hard on it so I expect it to be smoothed out soon.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Forget the fan, the disc drive is hella loud. Good reason to go download only.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Silver Striker posted:

I've had a lot more minor glitches on the PS4 version of TLoU than I ever did on the PS3 version, but I seem to be in the minority. When I say minor glitches, I mean like "aiming without a gun" or "melee weapons not working". Minor annoyances at worst. Sometimes grabbing people doesn't exactly work, either.

Otherwise, it's the same game as before but with more graphs. Some people have had problems with the matchmaking but Naughty Dog is working hard on it so I expect it to be smoothed out soon.

I've had no issues with TLOU so far but I will say that the new framerate and some touched up visuals make the static elements stand out a lot more. Other than that its a better version of it in every way and so much better on the DS4.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I take your point there, but nonetheless PS4 disc noise will never, ever, not even *remotely* approach the 'Jet Engine in your living-room' roar of an original-model 360 with disc in full flight. Mass Effect 1 in particular was bad for seemingly keeping the disc spinning at max rate continuously. And *man* was it loud. :stare:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Gunslinger posted:

I've had no issues with TLOU so far but I will say that the new framerate and some touched up visuals make the static elements stand out a lot more. Other than that its a better version of it in every way and so much better on the DS4.
I was watching the "Grounded" Documentary a couple days ago after I beat the PS4 version and noticed how aliased and blurry some of the graphics were since the doc only uses PS3 footage.

Aside from the incredible framerate improvement, once you click to enable photo mode in the PS4 version, you can really see the efforts put into the character models. I also had fun walking around the (dlc area) mall and looking at each of the food court menus and signs. They actually had the art team create full menus, it's crazy! That extra detail just pops on the PS4 version.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Does it really matter considering physical/digital games are both installed and run on the hard drive? I don't think there's any difference other than the way you initially install the games.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Yeah I really just care about TLOU being pretty, gameplay bugs and whatnot don't really get me down. Thanks y'all.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Which grips did you buy? I'm weighing doing the Bone thumbstick mod vs just buying some grips. I might do the mod anyway to replace the lovely battery in the DS4 but it's nice to have options.

I got Butterfox grips, but they're not available in the US. Guys in the US recommend FPS Freeks or Grip-its. They all do essentially the same thing. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
FPS FREEKS (CQC MODEL) Trip Report: 20 minutes in:

I like them. They feel nice. Upped my sensitivity in BF4 and it took a little getting used to, but I also haven't played BF4 in months so there's that to contend with, too.

Honestly, the best test will be with Destiny as that is the game with controls I enjoyed that is also freshest in my muscle memory.

But for just north of 10 dollars, these feel nice and I like the position my thumb is in, what with being higher.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You should rock the regular tall FPS freek on the right stick at least IMO

Check out the kelux ones in the OP good reviews and goons have said good things about 'em. Especially if you have rubber peeling off issues. It *might* require you to glue them. I have some but haven't bothered to mess with them. Will post a trip report. Apparently the tallest is a good alternative to the FPS freek. It comes with a bunch of pieces anyways.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
These guys know how to sell a remaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZwVvl71JnM

Last Light was the second best game of 2013, get in on this poo poo if you haven't played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Equilibrium posted:

These guys know how to sell a remaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZwVvl71JnM

Last Light was the second best game of 2013, get in on this poo poo if you haven't played it.

Now that you talk about the best game of 2013 you remind me I still have to plat Saints Row IV :v:

• Locked thread