Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is a sad turn of events, In Training. Not liking System Shock 2? I thought we were cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

This is a sad turn of events, In Training. Not liking System Shock 2? I thought we were cool.

It's too old for me, sorry. I probably played a few hours but really, it's like. Deus Ex is extremely similar but a better refinement mechanically, and it has the sea lab level which is basically SS3.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just hope they eventually remake Deus Ex and System Shock so I can play them without my eyes burning away.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Heavy Lobster posted:

Deus Ex wasn't that big of a deal until well after its release, iirc. Like what started the discussion in the first place, the stuff that's janky today was janky back then, and there's a reason it took as long as it did to get a (mediocre, underfunded) sequel. Somewhere along the line "cult classic" got distorted into "critical darling and canonical Best Game" because people are easily wowed when older games let you approach levels in different ways.
It's not that hard to understand, it's just that some gamers prefer gameplay, and we have been basically starving since around early 2000s or something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

It's too old for me, sorry. I probably played a few hours but really, it's like. Deus Ex is extremely similar but a better refinement mechanically, and it has the sea lab level which is basically SS3.
I played both Deus Ex and SS2 around the same time (as in, only a couple of years ago) and really enjoyed both, but there's just something more appealing about SS2 that's made me go back to it every time new mods or whatever come out. I think it's mostly just the setting because yeah gameplay-wise Deus Ex is probably better refined.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I honestly can't figure out if you're (program666) some kind of YCS parody of a game forum poster or what

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I played both Deus Ex and SS2 around the same time (as in, only a couple of years ago) and really enjoyed both, but there's just something more appealing about SS2 that's made me go back to it every time new mods or whatever come out. I think it's mostly just the setting because yeah gameplay-wise Deus Ex is probably better refined.

Nate RFB posted:

The time I played SS2 I think I was playing on a laptop touch pad which didn't help things one bit. It's still in my steam library and sometime I think about revisiting it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There is only one late 90s futuristic FPS that's even worth mentioning and it's not some Deus Ex or SS2 junk. You guessed it folks, it's Perfect Dark

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I can't remember a lot of games that do the "approach levels multiple ways" that would make multiple character builds valid on a RPG. I guess fallout 3 does it but on a much more limited fashion, meaning you may activate some turrets sometimes if you have the skill, and that's mostly it.

I only started to browse SA in 2013, I wasn't here during YCS, I only barely know it existed.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Holy poo poo play more RPGs

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Say what you will about Deus Ex voice acting, but if you only focus on gameplay, last of us is a lesser game, the entire AAA industry is lesser, and deus ex is probably not even among my top 10 games ever, that's simply true and you know that. You may appreciate other stuff that is not gameplay, but for me gameplay is principal, it's really easy to understand why people like it so much.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Holy poo poo play more RPGs

ops, sorry, I meant "approach levels multiple ways in a action game"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

There is only one late 90s futuristic FPS that's even worth mentioning and it's not some Deus Ex or SS2 junk. You guessed it folks, it's Perfect Dark

I wish Perfect Dark XBLA was released on PC. That game is really really cool and good, when played on a system that can run it playably.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Deus ex is probably one of the few good games ever made in the west

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

In Training posted:

Doom was also made in Texas so you're obviously crazy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I think if we combined Deus Ex and Doom, we'd have something incredible.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

program666 posted:

Say what you will about Deus Ex voice acting, but if you only focus on gameplay, last of us is a lesser game, the entire AAA industry is lesser, and deus ex is probably not even among my top 10 games ever, that's simply true and you know that. You may appreciate other stuff that is not gameplay, but for me gameplay is principal, it's really easy to understand why people like it so much.

Graphics and gameplay go hand in hand, idiot. I bet you think social issues and economic issues can be walled off from each other, too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In Training posted:

um paradox development studio is in sweden and that's the west

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Doom was also made in Texas so you're obviously crazy

I didn't say it was the only one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doom
Deus Ex
Map Games
Alpha Protocol
???

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Don't forget Battlecruiser 3000AD

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Video game design and graphics are a lot like social and economical issues.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Graphics and gameplay go hand in hand
thanks for making all your opinions invalid for 3 or 4 generations lol, can you even be more owned? I don't think so

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
This is some arguing about a game from 1999 that a significant number of people enjoy and a significant number of people do not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Colonel posted:

I wish Perfect Dark XBLA was released on PC. That game is really really cool and good, when played on a system that can run it playably.

I've played it emulated on Project 64 and it still looked pretty dang good for a freaking N64 game. Reflective surfaces in a 2000s-era console game = mind blow.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

program666 posted:

It's not that hard to understand, it's just that some gamers prefer gameplay, and we have been basically starving since around early 2000s or something.

lol gimmie a break!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I've played it emulated on Project 64 and it still looked pretty dang good for a freaking N64 game. Reflective surfaces in a 2000s-era console game = mind blow.

If you like reflective surfaces you should check out Metroid Prime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, Perfect Dark looks really loving nice for an N64 game, but it comes with the problem of totally tanking the framerate on an N64.

It's kind of impressive how much Rare saw ahead with a couple options they gave in their games, honestly. All the way back to Goldeneye they started implementing not only widescreen video options, which weren't even a common thing in Gamecube and PS2 games, but even had a slightly crude dual-analog control scheme for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. One that actually works very well, too, for the most part.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I get the impression that program666 doesn't understand that good graphics don't necessarily have to be advanced graphics. Super Mario World has good graphics that serve the gameplay. Deus Ex has bad graphics and shiny floors that look like some poo poo out of Life of Pi.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Zombies' Downfall posted:

lol gimmie a break!

yeah, that was kind of a exaggeration. More recently there have been a lot of cool small games with nice cool gameplay like FTL for example, that is more of a refinement on stuff that existed but it's still great, and many other indie games are like that. But the big stuff like X3, mount and blade or dwarf fortress, with huge and complex new gameplay are indeed quite rare. Even the more seemingly complex games like Skyrim have huge reductions in feature in comparison to the earlier titles. It's not that far fetched to say that if you are absolutely only focusing in gameplay the gaming industry is really desolate.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

I get the impression that program666 doesn't understand that good graphics don't necessarily have to be advanced graphics. Super Mario World has good graphics that serve the gameplay. Deus Ex has bad graphics and shiny floors that look like some poo poo out of Life of Pi.
you got this impression out of the blue sky

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i mean lets be fair here deus ex looks like poo poo and i am informed it still looked like poo poo when it came out

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

program666 posted:

you got this impression out of the blue sky

Is that what you call your horrible posts?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Colonel posted:

Yeah, Perfect Dark looks really loving nice for an N64 game, but it comes with the problem of totally tanking the framerate on an N64.

It's kind of impressive how much Rare saw ahead with a couple options they gave in their games, honestly. All the way back to Goldeneye they started implementing not only widescreen video options, which weren't even a common thing in Gamecube and PS2 games, but even had a slightly crude dual-analog control scheme for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. One that actually works very well, too, for the most part.

Actually I've played basically no FPS games on consoles since Perfect Dark and the only way I'm comfortable with a controller is still using stick + strafe. I don't get dual analog movement at all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Perfect Dark and GoldenEye are good games that are made great by talented artists working around pretty meager hardware. Basically the opposite of Deus Ex, where half baked ideas get pantsed by untalented artists with access to much better hardware.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

In Training posted:

I heard there's gonna be a NG+ mode which sounds like a godsend for doing the alternate routes and quests for getting 100% cheevos. Also speedrunning

The Director's Cut release of Human Revolution has a NG+ mode. Also if you're on PC you can download a tool from Gibbed that lets you re-enable all of the debug options like spawning any item in the game or disabling the AI or loving around with quest flags.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Is that what you call your horrible posts?

everything may serve gameplay, music may cue people about stuff that is about to happen, sounds may provide auditive feedback, etc. But gameplay may still exist alone. This wasn't a part of the discussion in any moment and you still really wrong about graphics and gameplay going hand in hand

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheScott2K posted:

Perfect Dark and GoldenEye are good games that are made great by talented artists working around pretty meager hardware. Basically the opposite of Deus Ex, where half baked ideas get pantsed by untalented artists with access to much better hardware.

I dunno, GoldenEye is cool technically but the game is a lot more frustrating to play now than Perfect Dark for a variety of reasons and the hardware really does pull both games down a bit too much.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

PD refines a lot of GoldenEye's gameplay, no doubt. It's kind of a shame neither game was made for a Voodoo-equipped PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Really, quite a few of Rare's games would just be better on different systems. Timesplitters 1 and 2 are pretty much the core gameplay of GoldenEye but on a system that can run them decently, and they're a lot better for it, if suffering from annoyingly shaky aiming. Jet Force Gemini certainly seems much better suited for a more up-to-date control scheme, but I don't have an Xbox One or a copy of Rare Replay to find out myself.

• Locked thread