Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i haven't seen the show but i am ok with pavlov's posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I am a divisive figure.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

You suck

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Counterpoint: He does not.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Julias posted:

Counterpoint: He does not.

Counterpoint rebuttal: He sucks.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Cardcaptor Chihaya Ep. 5: Counter-Counterpoint Rebuttal

MC is slowly but steadily going down the list of asperger symptoms. This episode: meticulously planning a conversation beforehand and still loving it up. What is it with the japanese and wanting to be the very best like no one ever was? I thought it was a throwaway line before about nobody playing their cardgame, but the MC seems to think it's better to be the best at something irreverent than just good at something important. In which case congrats she's already best in the world at hearing the sound of a moving bicycle 100 yards away while inside a moving train.

Black hair is also suffering from predictable grand-papaw related angst. He's a pretty boring character though so who cares.

As I suspected, prettyboy only hangs around the MC because he has the hots for her. Everyone keeps talking about how drop dead gorgeous she is, but anime chicks always look the same to me. It got me thinking, if she was a dorky looking dude instead of a hot chick no one would probably put up with her poo poo. Even the audience probably would have gotten tired of her by now. I'm gunna chalk this one up to ~moe~.

Final Thoughts

God this show is a slow burner. After getting through all 5 episodes, it's like it's just gotten through setup. I assume the new cardgame club is going to be meat of the show, but they've only been serving soup and salad so far so I got no idea how that's going to be. I'll probably watch a few more episodes just to see how that turns out, but I have a feeling all the intense enthusiasm about this cardgame is going to wear me out pretty soon.

It's like, imagine if someone gave you a seven hour documentary on competitive WoW raiding. Sure, they're probably really impassioned with what they're doing, but you can only hear about the 38 hour raid marathons or whatever for so long before you decide it's too much.

It was pretty fun intentionally misinterpreting whatever message the show was trying to send though. The show was pretty entertaining for it's part, but I think my current opinion is the same as my original one: That's only if you can stand 50 episodes of japanese slapjack.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Pavlov posted:

God this show is a slow burner. After getting through all 5 episodes, it's like it's just gotten through setup.

I feel that this is Chihayafuru's greatest weakness. But it has in fact gotten through pretty much all the setup now, and imo pretty much every episode from here on out is great. Definitely watch a few more.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I feel that this is Chihayafuru's greatest weakness. But it has in fact gotten through pretty much all the setup now, and imo pretty much every episode from here on out is great. Definitely watch a few more.

yeah, but don't post about it

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Well of course not I'll be too busy posting about sailor moon or something.

brainwrinkle posted:

4. Mobile Suit GUNDAM Iron Blooded Orphans

You get this because it makes me wonder what sort of orphans don't have iron in their blood. Better finish quick if you want to force me to watch k-on namtab.

K-On or K-On with Tubas
Magical Magi Madoka Moe
Your choice of Gundam
Sailor Moon
Japanese Slapjack (Chihayafuru)
Concrete Revolutio, which I forgot I made fun of
Any other anime you can remember me bashing but think I haven't seen
EVEN MORE loving CHIHAYAFURU

E: Horseshoe crab orphans?

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 5, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Well of course not I'll be too busy posting about sailor moon or something.

You get this because it makes me wonder what sort of orphans don't have iron in their blood. Better finish quick if you want to force me to watch k-on namtab.

K-On or K-On with Tubas
Magical Magi Madoka Moe
Your choice of Gundam
Sailor Moon
Japanese Slapjack (Chihayafuru)
Concrete Revolutio, which I forgot I made fun of
Any other anime you can remember me bashing but think I haven't seen

it's fine, I want you to watch more chihayafuru for now, and post about it

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Tempting, but that would probably be beyond the scope of this thread.

Ok I know I'll add it to the options for next review.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
You wouldn't be the first to post reactions to more of a show than is required by the thread. Most have made it every few episodes after those first episodes, or impressions at the end.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
People who make every thread Pavlov posts in about Pavlov are worse than Pavlov.

Henceforth, on a first come, first serve basis, the first person to recognize a dumb Pavlov post in the wild will retain the exclusive rights to call him out on that particular post publicly. Every poster thereafter who won't shut up about him will be punished for derailing the thread.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

People who make every thread Pavlov posts in about Pavlov are worse than Pavlov.

Henceforth, on a first come, first serve basis, the first person to recognize a dumb Pavlov post in the wild will retain the exclusive rights to call him out on that particular post publicly. Every poster thereafter who won't shut up about him will be punished for derailing the thread.

Fair, but what if I identify a bad post by Bad Seafood in the wild?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Turn your monitor on.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Turn your monitor on.

Quit derailing the thread!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I was told to watch Kids on the Slope like a month ago and I finished it a month ago. It was good! I did not like the ending though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Seafood did you at least enjoy my haiku I made it mostly for you

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 5, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Seafood did you at least enjoy by haiku I made it mostly for you

what a bad post

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Namtab posted:

what a bad post

what a good post

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Man I just realized I'm the second poster in this thread and I never finished Waiting in the Summer.

Something else to do I guess.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Man I just realized I'm the second poster in this thread and I never finished Waiting in the Summer.

Something else to do I guess.

*turns on monitor

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

So I finished Sabagebu a little while ago, but still can't think of much to say about it. it was just pretty simply a really good and fun show, I guess. I put it on the list because a bunch of people were arguing about whether it was good in the season thread, which I'd say it definitely is. Oh and Momoka was a great main character. I love how every time a normal MC would have tried to act reserved or something she had no mercy for anyone. It also managed to consistently be really funny which is pretty rare for anime imo. Well that's about all for it I guess. Time to add them to the character pool in Xcom and eagerly hope for a second seas-

Sabagebu! 2014 Summer 1,683 0 1,683 ¥70.7 Pierrot+ manga

:smith:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sabagebu was ok and I gradually laughed less as the show went on until I dropped it. It didn't help that Comedy Masterpiece Monthly Girls Nozaki was airing that same season.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the final three episodes of Sabagebu were some of the best. Dogshit Road and the decoden guns especially

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Bad Seafood posted:

Don't tell me what to do, bitch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bad Seafood posted:

You should probably amend this to the rules page :mmmhmm:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's already in there, we've just passed the "Letting you off with a warning" stage.

Bad Seafood posted:

6. Don't take it personally; don't make it personal
Sometimes people on the Internet make fun of each other. That's cool, be cool. Sometimes people dredge up personal baggage and harass one another. That is substantially less cool. Don't do it!
Calling somebody on a dumb or bad post they made is fine, hounding them or getting together a torch-and-pitchfork mob is not.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This is a bad decision, my advice to you, my friend Seafood.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Symphogear Episode 1:

What I know going in:
Mostly breadcrumbs of knowledge from the chat thread. I know singing is important, I know that the guy with red hair will say manly things. I know there will be yuribait.

Comments I wrote down while watching the episode
Episode opens after some sort of battle. Black haired girl is crying at the grave of a brown haired girl. Immediately after being told I'm watching symphogear we see the brown haired girl alive and well. I hate this kind of storytelling because it tells me that I'm watching a flashback and I already know how it ends.

Next up is orange and purple, purple has a really familiar sounding VA (nana mizuki?) which means she's going to be a prominent character. There's also the redheaded guy who I know from images is really manly and cool who it turns out has a manly and cool voice.

After a quick yuribait scene where purple spouts at least two death flags they start a concert which is probably the best animated bit of the episode. The concert lasts about two minutes but to be fair the singing is always important in a show with nana mizuki in. The concert is also doing something behind the scenes to a relic?

Next up, the "noise" appear. If there's monsters running around which dissolve/absorb people then maybe gathering a bunch of people in an open air stadium is stupidly risky?

Red transforms, and starts fighting while singing, because singing is important in a show with nana mizuki in. She must have great lungs.

Brown just stands there.

Judging by how the noise are getting fairly easily mowed down by red and purple I'm going to assume that they're barely a threat for the majority of the show.

Brown gets hit, the battle stops so that red can mourn her death specifically, ignoring the death of dozens of other people.

Songs are powerful.

The episode is only halfway done.

I'm guessign brown/black is gonna be more yuribait as the show does on. Brown looks down her top at the scar from the suicide concert, camera lingers lovingly on the baps.

Purple takes down a bunch of noise at once, providing further evidence that they are essentially worthless fodder we're going to be told is a huge threat. I'm guessing that she's going to be emotionally distant for a while because red died, but then will be friends with brown.

OK, the bit where she's at the shop and finds that the noise has eaten everyone is pretty creepy.

So are the noise sentient or just generic monsters, because they just laid an ambush for brown twice.

I guess when red died she transferred her essense into brown?

OK that ending was cool.

Impression:
Honestly I'm not sure. The episode felt very unfocused, as though it was trying to give two episodes worth of infodumping/story in the length of a single episode. There's some cool fights and I genuinely liked brown's transformation at the end and the bit where the noise were creepy. Overall I don't really think I can say anything about this anime just yet, I'm sure there's at least another episode of backstory to fill in before I know what the actual conflict/stakes are for season 1.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
FWIW Symphogear takes a few episodes to drop the "everything is stupidly tragic" angle and get into its groove. It's a good show when it becomes more about Hibiki punching things really hard because she wants to protect her wife.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

FWIW Symphogear takes a few episodes to drop the "everything is stupidly tragic" angle and get into its groove. It's a good show when it becomes more about Hibiki punching things really hard because she wants to protect her wife.

Which one is hibiki is she brown, black, or purple?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Namtab posted:

Which one is hibiki is she brown, black, or purple?

She's brown, which is actually orange (she inherits Gungnir for reasons that will be explained next episode).

"Purple" is blue, incidentally (there's another Symphogear whose colour is actually purple later on).

e; her wife is Miku, the black-haired girl.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 7, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Guess who got bored and watched more Chihayafuru!

Ep. 6-9: Chihaya kidnaps some folk

Herein the MC makes a quick left turn down stalker lane. I'm now sure if she was a guy she'd have a reputation as a huge creeper. Even prettyboy had to stop her from creeping several times through this. Not like it stopped her though. Her first target was a good one because she's a bigger dork about old poems than a historical lit teacher. My old roommate was from china and he was pretty much her but for beijing opera and ancient chinese lit. He would have gotten strongarmed into cardgame club just as easy. The best western approximation I can give of this girl is that one chick who brings her own costume to the renfair, and gushes about her deep insights into each of Shakespeare's many dick jokes. Of course once the MC proves that she too respects the true heart of the cards, renfair agrees to join her party.

Second victim is nerdy, likely /r/redpill poster. He puts up a proper resistance because I assume he refuses to cave to the whims of a hot chick who just wants him for her own devilish purposes. MC of course cannot understand explaining her cardgame to someone and them not becoming her friend. To avoid reevaluating her outlook on life, she chooses to believe that he really is her friend, and is just being stubborn about it. Thankfully, the power of masculine bonding reminds redpill that he actually has no friends and at least this club has hot chicks.

Third casualty is fatass, who's name appears to be his only character trait. He is most tragic, because after making headway on his chronic weight problems through a fulfilling and healthy exercise program that earns him the respect of his peers, he is manipulated into throwing that all away in order to play cardgames again. He apparently only quit to begin with because he realized he would never be the very best like no one ever etc. I still don't understand that.

Prettyboy continues to flirt passive aggressively. MC continues to gush enthusiasm, dragging everyone else along. I'm surprised redpill put up with her camp BS. He probably beat himself up later for being too much of a beta.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 16, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

[screams internally]

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Iron Blooded Orphans 1-5: These orphans are hardcore. They have little problem killing people, sometimes in cold blood.

I like nearly all of the characters! They don't make stupid decisions, and the conflict and setting are both interesting. A repressed colonial Mars wants rights to self-determination, and the earth powers try to assassinate the diplomat. The diplomat's supporter also wants to assassinate her to spark revolution. The orphans are tasked with protecting her on a voyage to Earth.

I expect the orphans are in for some hard times to get across the antiwar message eventually. Hopefully the series doesn't go to poo poo because I'm really enjoying it so far!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thankfully, it stays good throughout the entire run of the show so far!

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Spice and Wolf second season! :woop: :homebrew:

Th-third season right??? :negative:

Pavlov posted:

Magical Magi Madoka Moe

Partake of the Moe Pavlov, for this is your destiny!

Round 3. Spice and Wolf ended up being one of my new favorites. :toot:

Arikawa Under the Bridge
Baccano
Bokurano
Claymore
Dennou Coil
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the Shell
Golgo 13
Hyouka
Nichibros
Paranoia Agent
Space Dandy
Spice and Wolf 5/5
Tatami Galaxy: 4/5
Tiger and Bunny
Wolf's Rain

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Madoka Magica's Flying Circus Ep. 1: I already miss cardslappers

I'm not sure who it was who decided that just watching highschool girls existing, being highschool girls, is interesting. I'd hate to know how that person acted when they themselves where in highschool. Unfortunately that was two thirds of this episode, which was just crushingly boring, and I had difficulty paying attention to what was happening. At least 'adventures of autistic card savant' is an interesting premise. The remaining third was made up of hypnotic monty python drug trips, which were fun, but for reasons completely disjointed from the rest of the show. They were just visually interesting to look at.

The show's MC, pink, is a ditsy, shy, innocent waifu who 'loves her friends and family'. Which is... yeah.

Black is a ~Mysterious Transfer Student~ who ~Excels Effortlessly~ while being ~Moody and Distant~. She is also another character that anime has to explicitly tell me is attractive because the artstyle incapable of expressing this naturally. Speaking of artstyle, everyone's faces are really squashed. They're twice as wide as they are tall. I guess birth defects are Moe now.

Blue almost acts like an actual person, but doesn't get enough speaking time.

Yellow is too busy being smug and having clown hair.

The cat I think is supposed to come off as disconcerting, but its voice just makes it sound dorky.

Alternate review:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Madoka Magica's Flying Circus Ep. 1: I already miss cardslappers

I'm not sure who it was who decided that just watching highschool girls existing, being highschool girls, is interesting. I'd hate to know how that person acted when they themselves where in highschool. Unfortunately that was two thirds of this episode, which was just crushingly boring, and I had difficulty paying attention to what was happening. At least 'adventures of autistic card savant' is an interesting premise. The remaining third was made up of hypnotic monty python drug trips, which were fun, but for reasons completely disjointed from the rest of the show. They were just visually interesting to look at.

The show's MC, pink, is a ditsy, shy, innocent waifu who 'loves her friends and family'. Which is... yeah.

Black is a ~Mysterious Transfer Student~ who ~Excels Effortlessly~ while being ~Moody and Distant~. She is also another character that anime has to explicitly tell me is attractive because the artstyle incapable of expressing this naturally. Speaking of artstyle, everyone's faces are really squashed. They're twice as wide as they are tall. I guess birth defects are Moe now.

Blue almost acts like an actual person, but doesn't get enough speaking time.

Yellow is too busy being smug and having clown hair.

The cat I think is supposed to come off as disconcerting, but its voice just makes it sound dorky.

Alternate review:

this post is dumb becuase I don't know why you continue to review things you don't enjoy

hatewatching is retarded

• Locked thread