Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
My team was 23rd and wasnt goon only, and was no thanks to me at all, I burned out hard only playing nemelex choice. And didn't even play a game for this last week of the tourny.

I dunno, I enjoy the tourny and challenge of bad combos but the game just isn't as fun for me nowadays. I just don't have the patience anymore. I did enjoy one of our players doing tomb while holding the Orb though, it was pretty funny.

busb fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Mr. Despair posted:

I would learn petrify, and then start using LRD as it was meant to be used. It works great when suddenly _everything_ is a wall.

Will that work on Roka? Because I really need a book store and Orc:4 is my only shot so far of that.

E: Yes it does work but I don't have enough mp to kill him. Incoming morgue in 3...2...

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 25, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Will that work on Roka? Because I really need a book store and Orc:4 is my only shot so far of that.

If your spell power is high enough I don't see why not, although LRD+petrify is probably enough to carry you through elf and most of vaults if you need books too.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

If your spell power is high enough I don't see why not, although LRD+petrify is probably enough to carry you through elf and most of vaults if you need books too.

I led him up to Orc:3, petrified him (again), and went to O:4. Just have to remember he's waiting up there on the return trip :v:

Edit: Holy poo poo how have I never used petrify before?

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 25, 2015

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
It depends on your spellpower, Roka has MR++. My SpEns usually get around 20% chance of hitting him with c onfuse and have ~20 Int and 14-15 Hexes by the time I roll into Orc. I think with your current stats Petrify should have at least as much spellpower as that so you basically need to roll dice a few times to get it to stick.

e;f,b

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Speaking of hexes, SpEn with on-demand success chances on hexes made them fun for me, I tried it a long time ago but I didn't have the patience to pick apart the enemies I should be trying to use hexes on or some other skill or run away. I wish dazzling spray had a similar feature, though.

I tried DDFi for the first time and this was my second attempt:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-224-g739e436 (webtiles) character file.

1964208 bananaken the Axe Maniac (level 26, 259/259 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Dwarf Fighter on Nov 25, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Makhleb.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 02:48:13 (51129 turns).

bananaken the Axe Maniac (Deep Dwarf Fighter)      Turns: 51129, Time: 02:48:13

Health: 259/259    AC: 45    Str: 35    XL:     26   Next: 57%
Magic:  33/33      EV: 19    Int: 11    God:    Makhleb [******]
Gold:   4308       SH:  0    Dex: 21    Spells: 0 memorised, 25 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     S - +9 executioner's axe (chop)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     b - +9 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + . .     SustAt   .     (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     o - +2 helmet of Surprise {Dex+6 Slay+3}
rElec  .         Spirit   .     A - +0 cloak {rF+}
rCorr  .         Warding  .     P - +0 pair of gloves
rMut   +         Stasis   .     w - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR     ++++.                    u - amulet of resist mutation
Stlth  ..........               L - ring of Bikhliuji {rF+ SInv}
                                k - ring "Buozatte" {MR+ Dex+3}
I never had a 3-rune character holding tab through Zot :v: I did pay some attention in Zot:5

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I burned out hard in the first week of the tournament and it probably didn't help that work was slow so I had too much time dicking around in Crawl instead of my usual 'play after work then realize it's one in the morning.' :v: Got a win, that's the important thing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is inaccuracy that bad of a malus? I've got a char with Axe 27, +2 Exec axe of Freezing, and combined +7 Slay from other gear. I'm looking at this Amulet of Air thing (+5EV, rElec, +Fly, rMsl, Inacc) and wondering how hard it'll tank my hitting.

EDIT-Also, just to show how bad I am at this, I didn't realize you could literally 'eat the purple' all the time. I thought you had to be A)hungry or B)have gourmand to eat mut corpses. Turns out that ain't the case! You can just eat it whenever. I've eaten purple on every single thing I can for this char. I noticed that often it doesn't have an effect; is that on a timer (e.g. x turns since last eating purple) or random roll?

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 25, 2015

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Is inaccuracy that bad of a malus? I've got a char with Axe 27, +2 Exec axe of Freezing, and combined +7 Slay from other gear. I'm looking at this Amulet of Air thing (+5EV, rElec, +Fly, rMsl, Inacc) and wondering how hard it'll tank my hitting.

EDIT-Also, just to show how bad I am at this, I didn't realize you could literally 'eat the purple' all the time. I thought you had to be A)hungry or B)have gourmand to eat mut corpses. Turns out that ain't the case! You can just eat it whenever. I've eaten purple on every single thing I can for this char. I noticed that often it doesn't have an effect; is that on a timer (e.g. x turns since last eating purple) or random roll?

The slaying will outright cancel the inaccuracy effect.

edit: As for the tournament I had 4 wins though I should have done better.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 25, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Amulet of air is great, and almost certainly worth theInacc hit. I use it every time I get it, that's for sure.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Even without slaying, that amulet is so worth it with high weapon skill levels.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I got 3 wins in the tourney and then stopped playing because Fallout 3 came out :downs:

One of those wins was the high score for kobolds though and somehow nobody did better for the whole tourney. So I guess that's something.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

drat, the more DECj/FEs I send to their deaths, the more I realise how much MiBe is easy mode. I mean, I only ever ascended once, but I'd finish Lair and Orc more often than not. With DE/Magic I can't even finish Lair (on those very few occasions I get there) it's like playing on a knife edge, every move can be your last and you end up using so many more resources (cure, blink, tele, heal) just to get there.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ascended first char using 0.17(local). Was only 5 runes, but after eating so much purple I figured the guy was somewhat sub-optimal for 15:
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.0 (tiles) character file.

3312573 EATMYMOTHERFUCKINGASS the Axe Maniac (level 27, 237/237 HPs)
             Began as a Formicid Fighter on Nov 20, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes on Nov 24, 2015!

The game lasted 06:17:00 (66734 turns).

EATMYMOTHERFUCKINGASS the Axe Maniac (FoFi)        Turns: 66734, Time: 06:17:01

Health: 237/237    AC: 46    Str: 31    XL:     27
Magic:  36/36      EV: 26    Int: 10    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   5936       SH: 33    Dex: 25    Spells: 0 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     E - +3 executioner's axe (freeze)
rCold  + + +     Clarity  .     O - +9 armour of the Dragon King {rPois rF+ rC+ MR+}
rNeg   + + .     SustAt   .     j - +2 large shield {AC+3}
rPois  +         Gourm    .     (helmet unavailable)
rElec  +         Spirit   .     u - +2 cloak of the Blacksmith {*Confuse rF++ rN+ Dex+2}
rCorr  +         Warding  .     r - +2 pair of gloves {archery}
rMut   .         Stasis   +     y - +2 pair of boots
MR     ++++.                    (no amulet)
Stlth  ..........               H - ring "Liunt" {+Inv rN+ MR+ MP+9 Slay+3}
                                T - ring "Siseujar" {rElec rC+ Dex+2 Slay+2}

@: mighty, agile, resistant, flying, incredibly resistant to hostile
enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: permanent stasis, dig shafts and tunnels, four strong arms, antennae 3, claws
1, hooves 1, large bone plates 1, deterioration 1, wild magic 1, MP-powered
wands
a: Dig, Shaft Self, Heroism, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility
0: Orb of Zot
}: 5/15 runes: decaying, slimy, silver, abyssal, gossamer
Some notes from a guy who had only done 16.x before this (not all notes relate to version change):
- Where the gently caress was my armour Oka? I was wearing +2 boots/+2 gauntlets of useless because they were the only ego branded versions of that gear I ever found. This from a character who A)Did Elf B)Did Slime C)did vault D)Found 5 scrolls of acquisition and only used them for armour E)Found a treasure portal F)Worshipped Oka through the entire game since D2. Shields were incredibly disappointing too. Never found reflection, never found resist anything.
- gently caress those death cobs. I murder holed whenever I saw them, and they still nearly killed me one on one every single time they came up.
- I held off on Spider until after Abyss, Slime, and Swamp (basically second last before Vault) in terror of those new corrosion guys everyone was bitching about. I don't know if it's because I was XL26 or what, but Spider was a doddle. Only fought 2 of the caustic guys (fought more in Vault as shape shifters).
- Eating every purple ever had mixed results. I didn't have anything really bad, but I didn't have anything really good either. The only good purp I had was plate, which is ok at +2 AC/SH but not game breaking for this char by any means.
- Stat downs change being healed by xp had no real effect on me, but was one of the reasons I didn't bother doing tomb

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Scaramouche posted:

I noticed that often it doesn't have an effect; is that on a timer (e.g. x turns since last eating purple) or random roll?
if you have too many mutations the game can sometimes not change your mutation set.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Unimpressed posted:

drat, the more DECj/FEs I send to their deaths, the more I realise how much MiBe is easy mode. I mean, I only ever ascended once, but I'd finish Lair and Orc more often than not. With DE/Magic I can't even finish Lair (on those very few occasions I get there) it's like playing on a knife edge, every move can be your last and you end up using so many more resources (cure, blink, tele, heal) just to get there.

Speaking from personal experience, going from breaking the tab button with a side of invocations/evocations to blaster mage can be rough. Deep elves excel at blasting things to oblivion and are quite strong once you get past the RNG bump that usually is D:1 or D:2, but this is assuming you know which fights to pick which is something you rarely consider as a MiBe or similarly powerful combo.

The biggest thing is probably how much slower they play in comparison: instead of tabbing through fights you're probably going to be casting spells appropriate for the enemy (don't firestorm a quokka), you have to check that you're aiming your spell properly, you have to keep a safe distance from things a lot more often, you're going to have a lot more keybinds to use, etc. It's really fun and rewarding to get them going, but those games definitely last longer, so you gotta have some patience with them.

Starkwheat
Feb 27, 2012
I barely managed to squeeze myself into 19th position during the tournament. Gozag was a magnificient choice for critical all-rune victory, that I would have otherwise lost. Potion Petition is a bit too strong for it's cost right now. A small increase to required gold would be in place, especially during the extended part of the game. Delving into more than one ziggurat during a run really gets you a lot of gold.

In Zot Corn Eats You managed to muster a good overall effort, although the fabled clan score of 10000 slipped away by small margin.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.
I'm really pleased with In Zot Corn Eats you and my own efforts. Overall I finished 66th, compared to 176th during the 0.16 tournament. I managed to grab 7 wins, though I could probably have squeezed in a few more if I hadn't insisted on doing silly stuff like trying to melee two death cobs simultaneously (seriously, gently caress death cobs) and other assorted stupidity.
Oh, and I came one species closer to greatplayer by ascending a HuGl at the end. Only Kobold, Halfling, Felid, Demigod and Mummy left! :suicide:

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

- Where the gently caress was my armour Oka? I was wearing +2 boots/+2 gauntlets of useless because they were the only ego branded versions of that gear I ever found. This from a character who A)Did Elf B)Did Slime C)did vault D)Found 5 scrolls of acquisition and only used them for armour E)Found a treasure portal F)Worshipped Oka through the entire game since D2. Shields were incredibly disappointing too. Never found reflection, never found resist anything.

Sometimes, you just can't get some type of item. A DsSk I won with fifteen runes in the tournament got his first pair of boots the entire game on something ridiculous like U:4.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

GOZAG/TRUMP 2016: MAKE CRAWL GREAT AGAIN earned a commanding 50th place finish. I blame media bias against the candidates, personally.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

WereVolvo posted:

Oh, and I came one species closer to greatplayer by ascending a HuGl at the end. Only Kobold, Halfling, Felid, Demigod and Mummy left! :suicide:

Felid Enchanter honestly isn't that bad, it's basically a SpEn with extra lives and a built in dagger! Just make sure to pick something like Vehemut or Sif to guarantee a transition to Conjurations/Transmutations/Summoning before you hit the usual Hexes brick wall. Kobold of Oka/Trog is also good for abusing the poo poo out of your crossbow aptitude and wrecking the place with unlimited ammo and a basically guaranteed triple crossbow.

My demigod was assisted by an early +6 ring of protection, my halflings found +10 CPA in an Ice Cave, and my Mummy Xomscummed for 200k turns into a bunch of rods, so I don't have good advice for them :v:

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 25, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Kobold and Felid are good Enchanter species. Halfling are small warriors. Demigod basically takes Transmuter and is basically set in terms of spells for 3-runing. And Mummy, well, you take some focused class and work it until you're midway through the game and now have experience to spare. Or you Xomscum like some jerk. :v:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I came in at 156 so top tenth precent. I an pleased with that. Also held the top score on TeCJ and TeFi with my two 15 rune win on them. Also got Brute Force 2 (could never get 3). Overall, my best showing in a tournament yet. Singularity Solidarity Society did not do to bad with 50 something place seeing as we only had three active players.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 25, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Ogrecoming Adversity came in 56th. The score difference between clans at that level is pretty marginal, so you ogres who felt bad about not winning/not winning more should actually feel pretty good; I can basically guarantee that each of you personally contributed several ranks to our spot on the leaderboards :)

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Ogrecoming Adversity came in 56th. The score difference between clans at that level is pretty marginal, so you ogres who felt bad about not winning/not winning more should actually feel pretty good; I can basically guarantee that each of you personally contributed several ranks to our spot on the leaderboards :)

I tried ogrecoming in your team's honor repeatedly, but due to my aforementioned questionable decisions I am ashamed to say I failed to ascend a single one. It is my great shame. :(

quote:

Great advice from Floodkiller and Sage Grimm
Thanks! I have a KoFE of Vehumet who's pretty close to getting Firestorm castable with Hat of the Alchemist and a Staff of Fire (or Energy if I feel the need for channeling and/or hungerless), so hopefully that'll be another species down, but if not... well, come to think of it, this post has probably jinxed it for me anyway. I kinda wanna try a Gozag Mummy next and see where that takes me.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

WereVolvo posted:

I tried ogrecoming in your team's honor repeatedly, but due to my aforementioned questionable decisions I am ashamed to say I failed to ascend a single one.

This is probably the best possible way to honour Ogrecoming Adversity tbh

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
is Maxwell's Etheric Cage actually good for blaster mages, or is it a trap?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Do you mind occasionally dipping into yellow contamination if a couple miscasts give you a tiny bit of contamination? How about not being able to use Haste as freely as you would otherwise without having some sort of rMut?

Without using it myself, I can't really say how badly it keeps you in gray contamination but I think the happiest user of the Etheric Cage would be any warrior that has guardian spirit.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I feel bad because I only got one win in the tournament, but apparently Better Late Than Nessos did fine without much assistance from me. Good job dudes!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

WereVolvo posted:

I'm really pleased with In Zot Corn Eats you and my own efforts. Overall I finished 66th, compared to 176th during the 0.16 tournament. I managed to grab 7 wins, though I could probably have squeezed in a few more if I hadn't insisted on doing silly stuff like trying to melee two death cobs simultaneously (seriously, gently caress death cobs) and other assorted stupidity.

We got in 16th or 17th place iirc (not thanks to me) which is pretty amazing. I didn't even manage to get a freaking rune lol, shameful

I did enjoy playing a bunch more than usual and i really like these tournaments.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Sage Grimm posted:

Do you mind occasionally dipping into yellow contamination if a couple miscasts give you a tiny bit of contamination? How about not being able to use Haste as freely as you would otherwise without having some sort of rMut?

Without using it myself, I can't really say how badly it keeps you in gray contamination but I think the happiest user of the Etheric Cage would be any warrior that has guardian spirit.

well, I dug into the source and apparently the bonus MP doesn't happen at all if you have guardian spirit!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That's the caveat with Deep Dwarf to prevent them from using the Etheric Cage to regen MP while wearing guardian spirit (they don't regen MP normally while that is in effect). So I guess I have to fix my statement to: any warrior* with Spirit would like it.

*NOT DEEP DWARVES

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Holy poo poo has Powered by Death always been this good? I have a DsBe who's just shredding everything in sight after eating purple left me with frail 1 and regeneration 2, because I'm regenerating so loving fast after a couple of kills that I can just smash my face into 6 enemies at a time until the screen is empty, and finish the fight at basically full health. It's even better because cleaving+miasma farts generates a nonstop supply of death for me to be powered by.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

rchandra posted:

I was on the 3rd-place clan. My first terrible week got avenged with 5 wins in the next 7 games, including 3 nemelex choices and not using any Trog. Really should have been a 5-streak. Probably somebody I don't recognize placed higher than my 54th.

e: Haifisch's team at #30 was probably the highest all-SA team?

In Zot Corn Eats You came in #16 (me, Humans Among Us, SlyFrog, WereVolvo, Starkwheat, and Ugly John). I didn't have a great tournament by good player standards, but it was by far my best, with 4 wins including a 3-streak (my first streak ever). I got super burnt out after losing my 3-streak and kind of just did stupid things after that.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
In contrast, this was probably my worst tournament. Bad timing with regard to game releases and my excitement with playing after two deaths with two runes to stupidly avoidable BS tanked hard. Didn't even end up with a win. Sorry about that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

WereVolvo posted:

Halflings: They're easy, just really boring. Durable as hell, and good at slings and both varieties of blades. They have a better short blade apt, but you'll want to transition to long blades by Vaults or Depths.

Felids: FeIE. I know I have the biggest crawlboner for IE, but it's honestly going to be the best start you have thanks to Ozoarmor and Condensation Shield. Having actual defenses improves your survival rate immensely.

Mummy: Easiest for me was MuGl with staves. The quarterstaff is the beefiest start weapon you can get, and Mu loves the super low skill requirements. Everything else is a matter of surviving until you fix your rF- and clarity problems.

Demigod: Blah blah Tm blah. Demigod apts are samey enough that you can try just about anything, so don't be afraid to try a something else if Tm isn't doing it for you.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Halflings: They're easy, just really boring. Durable as hell, and good at slings and both varieties of blades. They have a better short blade apt, but you'll want to transition to long blades by Vaults or Depths.

Felids: FeIE. I know I have the biggest crawlboner for IE, but it's honestly going to be the best start you have thanks to Ozoarmor and Condensation Shield. Having actual defenses improves your survival rate immensely.

Mummy: Easiest for me was MuGl with staves. The quarterstaff is the beefiest start weapon you can get, and Mu loves the super low skill requirements. Everything else is a matter of surviving until you fix your rF- and clarity problems.

Demigod: Blah blah Tm blah. Demigod apts are samey enough that you can try just about anything, so don't be afraid to try a something else if Tm isn't doing it for you.

Addendum on Demigods: The innate sustain abilities is also really good since the removal of potions of restore abilities.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sage Grimm posted:

Both of the last times I have worn it on purely melee guys who cast no spells it inevitably put me into yellow contam, so it's a nogo for me

Angry Diplomat posted:

Holy poo poo has Powered by Death always been this good?
Yeah it's like, basically busted tier good

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Ugly John posted:

In contrast, this was probably my worst tournament. Bad timing with regard to game releases and my excitement with playing after two deaths with two runes to stupidly avoidable BS tanked hard. Didn't even end up with a win. Sorry about that.

Eh, it happens, and I put the team together with no expectations whatsoever. Hell, I had 0 wins last tournament, and I very nearly quit this time after two of my first games were a 2 rune death in Slime and a 4 rune starvation death in Zot.

Also, looking over the fastest wins, two things stand out. The fastest win this tournament was a 15 rune win, which is surprising, but it was also 6,000 turns slower than the fastest wins in the 0.16 and 0.15 tournaments. Seems odd that there'd be such a huge drop off. I guess nobody going for the super fast 3-rune win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

After complaining about the floorgod being stingy (it still is on spells), Swamp 4 has both a pearl dragon armour and a quicksilver dragon armour. I'm using all sorts of spells I've never used before, like petrify (really) and I managed to apport the PDA, but the QSA is basically in the middle of the rune vault. Since the QSA can't be enchanted (I'm still using the out of date wiki), I'm assuming I should just enchant the hell out of the PDA and run with that on my GrEE?

• Locked thread