Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Here is a man who is very upset with Tim Farron and Labour:

https://twitter.com/sam_lister_/status/859700774661697536

A visual representation of what happens when people reach the age of 65.

EDIT: Good to see McDonnell outright call Tory attacks 'absolute lies' today. Usually politicians are far too hesitant to use that word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

They should have said troops instead to remove the ambiguity.
Now it's over to every talking head in the country for hours of wall to wall discussion of this serious gaffe

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

EDIT: Good to see McDonnell outright call Tory attacks 'absolute lies' today. Usually politicians are far too hesitant to use that word.
Well, he is 65. :v:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tory election poster launch continues to offer the best photographs.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I just realised that russia are going to hack the election to ensure corbyn wins because he likes russia and like putin regards the end of the soviet union as Sad

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

They should have said troops instead to remove the ambiguity.

*in an extremely Navy voice* AHEM I think you mean WARFIGHTERS you valour stealing prick

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zephro posted:

The army doesn't use bombs. That's the air force's job. How can we rely on the Theresa May Party to give are boys the STRONG AND STABLE leadership they need if they're so ignorant of basic facts

Mortars?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

It sounded like the May protesters were shouting 'Urine'

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Breath Ray posted:

The tailor I use favours braces and I can see why. The perfect fit would be fairly snug and uncomfortable if you put on a bit of weight over the summer for instance. I think belts could become the new sitting down in terms of health scares. It can't be good for us.

over the summer? I thought most people put on weight over the winter eating too many mince pies and not wanting to go out in the poo poo weather. then you lose it for the summer beach body.

a nice set of braces or a nice belt can really complement the look. like a nice tie does. i think the idea that a good suit should never have a belt is old fashioned. as long as you're not desperately bunching up a pair of trousers that just don't fit in the first place.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
the EU exit bill - what is this actually for?

Going by the BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39789903
"There are reports in Brussels that the rising figure might include demands from countries like France and Poland for UK contributions to farm subsidies. "

it seems like it's for ongoing future EU expenditure. But, whatever you think of Brexit*, surely when the UK leaves the EU then, well, that should be the end to UK payments to EU programmes?

(*Disclaimer, against Brexit, genuine question)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I just got a LibDem leaflet in the mail saying

quote:

Only the Liberal Democrats are campaigning to stop the disaster of Brexit becoming a catastrophe that harms our city forever.

And even if you are unable to vote on 8th June, please know this: you are as entitled to be represented by your local MP as anyone else who lives here.

Just because you can't vote in June doesn't mean you can't make your voice heard in other ways. I'm asking you to volunteer with the Liberal Democrats by delivering leaflets or knocking on doors, making a donation and put(sic) up a poster in the window to show your friends and neighbours the strength of our campaign

It also says both Conservatives and Labour voted for hard Brexit and refused a referendum on a final deal.

Just lol.

(I didn't get anything from either Labour or Conservatives though)

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

mediadave posted:

"There are reports in Brussels that the rising figure might include demands from countries like France and Poland for UK contributions to farm subsidies. "

it seems like it's for ongoing future EU expenditure. But, whatever you think of Brexit*, surely when the UK leaves the EU then, well, that should be the end to UK payments to EU programmes?

Its stuff the gov already agreed to innit.

e: to elaborate at some point in the past they agreed to do a something for so many years and now they are trying get out of it which might make the something not work as it was expected that they would be chipping in ongoing

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 3, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

mediadave posted:

A lot of it is things like pension obligations etc., which are pretty hard to defend reneging on, though of course those aren't going to be the ones the media would want to highlight.

As for the programmes, it depends. Say you have been given research funding for five years, with a lot of the work potentially taking place in the UK - does it now have to end?

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 3, 2017

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Seaside Loafer posted:

Its stuff the gov already agreed to innit.

Presumably we'll continue to get the benefits to the programmes we contribute to? Otherwise I still can't see the justifivcation myself.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Cerv posted:

over the summer? I thought most people put on weight over the winter eating too many mince pies and not wanting to go out in the poo poo weather. then you lose it for the summer beach body.

a nice set of braces or a nice belt can really complement the look. like a nice tie does. i think the idea that a good suit should never have a belt is old fashioned. as long as you're not desperately bunching up a pair of trousers that just don't fit in the first place.

Oh I agree. I was just responding to the person who said a perfectly cut suit doesn't need a belt or braces. You'd have to go to the tailors all the time to get things taken in when you'd had a good meal for heaven's sake!

Which tailor do you use? I like the italian one in kingly st. Delightfully brusque.

E. Taken out I mean

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Just had a coworker say that the reason public services are bad was because they're not run like businesses. When I pointed out they've got worse the more they're privatised she blamed 'bureaucrats'.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I am a fat man and a belt feels good to me

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

mediadave posted:

I suspect it has to do with the fact that Britain is a net contributor to the Common Agricultural Policy, and farming subsidies in the rest of the EU are likely to fall after Brexit. That doesn't mean the demands are reasonable though, or that they will be accepted; it could be a case of political posturing. The French and Polish governments likely want their farmers to know that it if/when their incomes fall, it's the Brits who are to blame. IIRC Junior G-Man knows more about this though.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Just had a coworker say that the reason public services are bad was because they're not run like businesses. When I pointed out they've got worse the more they're privatised she blamed 'bureaucrats'.

Tell him 9 out of 10 businesses fail in their first year

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Just shaking my head at people that can't appreciate the beauty of a nice handcrafted leather belt.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

Tell him 9 out of 10 businesses fail in their first year

Her, and I did.

Apparently the problem with failing businesses/services is that they put the cleaner in charge because they know them.

EDIT: Also, she brought up a local school that was run by an ex-barclays exec, and then refused to tell me which one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Praseodymi posted:

EDIT: Also, she brought up a local school that was run by an ex-barclays exec, and then refused to tell me which one.
I hope they're not laundering children. :ohdear:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pochoclo posted:

Just shaking my head at people that can't appreciate the beauty of a nice handcrafted leather belt.

Because it reminds you of your steak?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Very good

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Her, and I did.

Apparently the problem with failing businesses/services is that they put the cleaner in charge because they know them.

She sounds like a real tease.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Because it reminds you of your steak?

It reminds me of the babe.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

mediadave posted:

Option B is unilateral abrogation of our outgoing payments, which would surely prompt the same from the EU. A likely consequence would then be widespread disruption and damage to a significant number of business enterprises, research projects, e.g. what would happen to Horizon 2020?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oberleutnant posted:

Well yes, you're right, but I don't recall them openly and explicitly addressing their content towards tories in the past.

I dunno, feels like it's been going that way for 3 years least. It's gotten noticeably worse since Rusbridger left as Editor.

Talking of guff newspapers, went to Glasgow on Monday for a gig & picked up a Morning Star to read on the train. I like a lot of things about it, the focus on industrial news is good and a nice change from gushing over Kim Kardashian or whatever, but they get really embarrassing when they started chatting about the protests in Venezuela. The insistence of a large section of the left in refusing to accept that ostensibly left wing regimes can go bad and do lovely things is an eternal frustration. poo poo is hosed in Venezuela, Maduro has been a bad leader, poverty has increased in the country, you don't have to instinctively defend him. But I suppose old habits die hard when you're from the party that split off from the CPGB because they were too reformist.

Pochoclo posted:

Seems a bit excessive when you're just looking for something to hang yourself with while going for a chokewank.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
The payments are a mix of things like our share of pensions for Commission workers (some of whom are Brits) as well as money we've agreed to spend as part of the 5-year budgeting process but which hasn't actually been spent yet. This gives a good summary:

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/brexit-explained/eu-divorce-bill

We should get a small share of assets too, but not nearly enough to cancel out the bill.

We could unilaterally refuse to pay, but because Europe has the upper hand in the Brexit negotiations they could impose a whole bunch of consequences that would be more unpleasant for us than them. Juncker already said there'd be no free trade deal if we didn't pay, for instance.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 3, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think that as time goes on the 'divorce bill' will morph into an amount of money we contribute on an ongoing basis to the EU in return for some of the benefits of membership.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps posted:

I think that as time goes on the 'divorce bill' will morph into an amount of money we contribute on an ongoing basis to the EU in return for some of the benefits of membership.

Almost inevitably if there is a transition arrangement beyond the two years.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Looke posted:

I am a fat man and a belt feels good to me

You should try braces, it's like a whole new world!
I'm a new convert this week and when walking/digging it's a night-and-day difference!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BigHandsVince posted:

You should try braces, it's like a whole new world!
I'm a new convert this week and when walking/digging it's a night-and-day difference!

Being unemployed I find that I am doing more gardening and I don't think the belt is helping so this sounds great. Where do you get your from and do they have sizes or is it more of a one size fits all type thing?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

forkboy84 posted:

Talking of guff newspapers, went to Glasgow on Monday for a gig & picked up a Morning Star to read on the train. I like a lot of things about it, the focus on industrial news is good and a nice change from gushing over Kim Kardashian or whatever, but they get really embarrassing when they started chatting about the protests in Venezuela. The insistence of a large section of the left in refusing to accept that ostensibly left wing regimes can go bad and do lovely things is an eternal frustration. poo poo is hosed in Venezuela, Maduro has been a bad leader, poverty has increased in the country, you don't have to instinctively defend him. But I suppose old habits die hard when you're from the party that split off from the CPGB because they were too reformist.

my entirely anecdotal impression is that the Western left news coverage of Venezuela was thawing for a bit, and then immediately froze over again after the narrow Ecuador election

there's something sexy about Latin America that holds the imagination, even though Kerala is right there

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

bessantj posted:

Being unemployed I find that I am doing more gardening and I don't think the belt is helping so this sounds great. Where do you get your from and do they have sizes or is it more of a one size fits all type thing?

I'm pretty sure that these are the ones I bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brimarc-M...ZMAAOSwDNdVjrA8

There are completely adjustable and one size. There are slides on the front straps that allow you to adjust the length to get the tension that you want. These ones (Brimarc?) have really heavy-duty clips compared to the cheap-o ones I was using before, they're well made.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/labour_history/status/859670670648659968

Seems longer than two years.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BigHandsVince posted:

I'm pretty sure that these are the ones I bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brimarc-M...ZMAAOSwDNdVjrA8

There are completely adjustable and one size. There are slides on the front straps that allow you to adjust the length to get the tension that you want. These ones (Brimarc?) have really heavy-duty clips compared to the cheap-o ones I was using before, they're well made.

Sounds good, thanks.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/859689101934682114

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

what happened to the stone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009