Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm crossposting this question I asked on shmups forum's hardware board because it's getting no replies, maybe someone here knows:

quote:

I have a PVM 20M2MDU that I use with a supergun, recently I've gotten tired of the geometry being off on many boards and have been adjusting it in the service menu to suit the game and keeping a list of what vertical and horizontal setting works with each game. Sometimes "extreme" geometry settings needed to get everything visible and correctly proportioned on some games cause some warping of the image in corners or edges and this is kind of worrying, I'm just wondering if changing this setting often can lead to any kind of damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Huh, apparently playing a PAL copy of Super Mario All-Stars in 60Hz on a region-modded SNES causes some interesting effects involving flashing colors.

Mario 3 is the least affected, only getting a flashing line at the top of the screen, and in Mario 1 the colors glitch out at random intervals (at first I thought the Framemeister's sync settings were hosed). Mario 2, on the other hand, ends up looking like that "Disco Mario" romhack I-Mockery reviewed a million years ago. :catdrugs:

Playing in 50Hz fixes the glitching, but then you're playing in 50Hz and gently caress that noise.

edit: I could swear I have played this cart in 60Hz mode before and didn't have any problems then

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 4, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

I'm crossposting this question I asked on shmups forum's hardware board because it's getting no replies, maybe someone here knows:

This is not going to damage the CRT any more than running a CRT period damages it. It just looks slightly ugly.

You could potentially risk damage if you were opening the case and using the physical adjustments on the board frequently, since those give you near-full control and severe adjustments done frequently might cause damage if you were very unlucky, but anything you set in the service menu should be well within acceptable limits for the CRT's overall hardware.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I recorded some video of the Mario All-Stars glitch. Epilepsy warning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm5uOIqOtaQ

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When did repro cartridges go and become a thing? They're all over Ebay now.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Doc Morbid posted:

Huh, apparently playing a PAL copy of Super Mario All-Stars in 60Hz on a region-modded SNES causes some interesting effects involving flashing colors.

Mario 3 is the least affected, only getting a flashing line at the top of the screen, and in Mario 1 the colors glitch out at random intervals (at first I thought the Framemeister's sync settings were hosed). Mario 2, on the other hand, ends up looking like that "Disco Mario" romhack I-Mockery reviewed a million years ago. :catdrugs:

Playing in 50Hz fixes the glitching, but then you're playing in 50Hz and gently caress that noise.

edit: I could swear I have played this cart in 60Hz mode before and didn't have any problems then

https://youtu.be/UHU8g5s8LnQ

For what it's worth, that video from over ten years ago seems to match your symptoms exactly. The fact it's fine at the standard PAL video frequency suggests that there might be some timing issue; perhaps Nintendo optimized it solely for standard PAL?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish Nintendo would sue the gently caress out of ebay because it is ridiculous how they do nothing about it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

They really infested eBay when you could start ordering them from Chinese manufacturers for $3 each.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

When certain regular cartridges became untouchably expensive for the average person.

Then the repros got really cheap and they started making them for all kinds of games, not just expensive and rare ones.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://medford.craigslist.org/vgm/d/gamecube-complete-in-box-with/6374032339.html

quote:

$100 or trade for working panasonic 3DO system

even as the resident 3do fan, i'm still like like lol what @ this

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

I picked up a NOS FZ-1 for $90 BIN off ebay last year (and the guy had 10+ more in inventory) so this doesn't seem that unreasonable?

Edit: Looked at ebay and holy hell, who's paying $300+ for these things? I almost felt guilty buying one at $90.

EgillSkallagrimsson fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 5, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wtf i paid $30 for my 3do som time ago, had no idea they ballooned that much in price

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
And what made repro carts that SAY they're repro carts on the listing instead of just making fakes and selling them full price, is when eBay sellers figured out that people would buy them without reporting them to eBay as long as you knocked the price down a ways.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Is my TV too blurry or is this exactly what I should expect by connecting my Saturn with composite cable? I have a feeling this TV had better quality some years ago (just got it back this week).

And no, there's no support for anything else like component, S-Video or whatever. :smith:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Like the only repro anyone needs are whatever you want to play that isn't supported by the flash cart of that particular system. Why would someone pay for each individual bootleg game besides those, idgi

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Negrostrike posted:

Is my TV too blurry or is this exactly what I should expect by connecting my Saturn with composite cable? I have a feeling this TV had better quality some years ago (just got it back this week).

And no, there's no support for anything else like component, S-Video or whatever. :smith:

Seems pretty blurry to me, especially through composite (US TV, NTSC format and likewise for the console?). Like, it won't be glaringly obvious, but how prominent is that rainbow fringing at the edges of sprites and stuff that usually pops up with composite video? If this TV has been in someone else's possession and they used it regularly, they may have turned the sharpness way down to soften the picture.

Otherwise, if adjusting whatever sharpness controls are available for the TV doesn't have any apparent effect, it could just be that your TV is just kind of meh? How do other consoles look on it?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Seems pretty blurry to me, especially through composite (US TV, NTSC format and likewise for the console?). Like, it won't be glaringly obvious, but how prominent is that rainbow fringing at the edges of sprites and stuff that usually pops up with composite video? If this TV has been in someone else's possession and they used it regularly, they may have turned the sharpness way down to soften the picture.

Otherwise, if adjusting whatever sharpness controls are available for the TV doesn't have any apparent effect, it could just be that your TV is just kind of meh? How do other consoles look on it?

I only have a Saturn so far and yeah, this TV is super meh (it's even mono!). I still can play games pretty well but I'm kinda hosed if I have to read some really small text. The "rainbow" doesn't pop out too much.

Urgh.
Might as well start looking for something decent.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

holy poo poo what is wrong with this world? i bought a “broken” 3do with the intention of doing a write up 2 or 3 threads ago but mine was fully functional. it was sold as broken. wat? these aren’t rare.. i even modded mine to 240p

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

(it's even mono!)

Unless it's like, a trinitron from the 80's this is a sure sign of a low quality TV

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Kthulhu5000 posted:

https://youtu.be/UHU8g5s8LnQ

For what it's worth, that video from over ten years ago seems to match your symptoms exactly. The fact it's fine at the standard PAL video frequency suggests that there might be some timing issue; perhaps Nintendo optimized it solely for standard PAL?

The game was reprogrammed to use the SNES's 239-line mode, which often causes problems in 60Hz mode (it either cuts into available Vblank time or throws off HDMA timing, I forget). They also did this to the second PAL revision of Super Mario World and it exhibits some similar issues.

All New Sonic fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 5, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

All New Sonic posted:

The game was reprogrammed to use the SNES's 239-line mode, which often causes problems in 60Hz mode (it either cuts into available Vblank time or throws off HDMA timing, I forget). They also did this to the second PAL revision of Super Mario World and it exhibits some similar issues.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the information, I guess I was remembering wrong when I thought I had played the All-Stars cart in 60Hz mode before.

Speaking of 60Hz, it's really a pain in the rear end to shop for CRT TVs in Europe. At least here in :finland:, nobody who sells the things online seems to have any idea what 50/60Hz even means, nor do they provide pictures of the inputs unless you specifically ask. I do like using the Framemeister with my 55" LCD, especially for split screen stuff and recording, but sometimes it'd just be nice to play some old games with real scanlines and zero lag.

I suppose I could bring the old Panasonic Quintrix aka Desk-Buster 5000 out of storage, but there's a reason I decided to retire it last year and went with the Framemeister. Basically, the screen geometry is all kinds of hosed, and no amount of fiddling about in the service menu will help because of Panasonic's image auto-adjusting "features". :gonk:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

help im dying

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112623238981

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Now if they made it so it dumps out golden rings into the bottom tray whenever Sonic got hit, we'd have a product worth $900.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm the Hori Fighting Stick Mini

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Casimir Radon posted:

A long while.

I bought a JP copy of Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3 off of eBay in high school and it was extremely obvious that it was a knock off.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

GBA and DS titles have always had tons of bootlegs on ebay, but things like N64 and Mega Drive weren't so casually found until recently is what I think is being discussed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A lot's going to depend on your definition of repro here, if you're talking "made to look like an original cartridge in the interest of commanding collectors' prices" that's definitely a more recent phenomenon, but I and many friends had several bootleg Famicom cartridges and pin converters in the late 80's, especially since Mario 3 was available way earlier that way. On top of the multi-in-1 cartridges (with 52-in-1 being an especially popular variant), there were also a lot of single-game carts, namely Mario 3, Mario Baby (rebranded Bio Miracle: Bokutte Upa!), and the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels). They were common enough that at least some of the non-chain video stores also had them for rent. Here are pics of my Mario Baby cart + box that was put out by some shop in Montreal (based off the area code for the phone number on the back), while pitching a Famiclone.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
My favorite bootlegs are the ones that try very hard to look legitimate but always have one or two giveaways, like a GBA cart of some mediocre game that had "NINTONDO" on the back.

Of course, can't mention this and not link the site full of pirate logos for the Game Boy.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

univbee posted:

Here are pics of my Mario Baby cart + box that was put out by some shop in Montreal (based off the area code for the phone number on the back), while pitching a Famiclone.

So it really WAS called "Mario Baby" in bootleg circles? I heard about this but never saw an actual picture.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

I’ve got a Craigslist alert for “arcade” and let me tell you, the only thing more sad than the mamebominations some people make is how proud their creators are and how highly they value them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Fill me in on the inside joke about how MAME cabinets are terrible

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

canyoneer posted:

Fill me in on the inside joke about how MAME cabinets are terrible

Just take a look at how ugly that thing is built. That's the joke, that particular listing, but also the tons of similar builds.

You can make real nice MAME machines but a lot of people don't bother.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They're generally just relatively lazily thrown together PC's with low quality off the shelf parts and a widescreen LCD monitor. You can make a good MAME cabinet, one was posted in this thread recently, but most people extremely don't care more than throwing an X-Arcade on a wood box and playing Super Mario World with it.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 5, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

Just take a look at how ugly that thing is built

the joke of that particular one is that it's not even built, it's a PC inside of a video poker machine that the owner claims makes it "100x better quality than typical wooden arcade games"

e: also why are these guys always happy to ship their atrocities freight but the people selling candy cabs (always in california) are strictly pickup only, gently caress yooooou. being on the east coast sucks balls

d0s fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 5, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

My favorite bootlegs are the ones that try very hard to look legitimate but always have one or two giveaways, like a GBA cart of some mediocre game that had "NINTONDO" on the back.

this is intentional, old rear end bootlegging trick so that the people who are anal enough to care will notice and not buy it and not cause problems about returns or call the cops or beat you up. same reason nigerian price emails are worded badly on purpose

e: here's a bootleg K&H breadboard renamed to "C&D", I like to think the choice of those particular two letters was intentional

d0s fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 5, 2017

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mods plz namechange me to SEGA GENIUSES

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What some games to play to justify to keeping my PC Engine around? Out of all the systems I got lately, it the only one I very rarely play. Probably doesn't help the controller is so loving short that I have to pull it out to use.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rirse posted:

What some games to play to justify to keeping my PC Engine around? Out of all the systems I got lately, it the only one I very rarely play. Probably doesn't help the controller is so loving short that I have to pull it out to use.

look through here

http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm

and here

http://www.videogameden.com/cdrom.htm

and pick stuff you like

if you can't find anything you like out of those lists worth keeping the system around for you have terminal bad taste and should give the system to someone more deserving. pc engine controller extension cords are like 5 bucks on ebay

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 5, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

also you're probably gonna think one of the most fun parts about getting a system, exploring it's library and finding out what you like, is too hard or something so here's a list of PCE games i like

hucard
alien crush
atomic robo kid
blazing lazers/gunhed
bomber man 93,94,etc
cyber core
devil's crush
dragon spirit
final lap twin
final soldier
gomola speed
gradius
kiki kai kai
keith courage (warning: most people do not like this)
kyukyoku tiger
legendary axe
metal stoker
ninja spirit
override
pac-land
psycho chaser
rabio lepus special
raiden
r-type
saint dragon
shockman
sidearms
soldier blade
splatterhouse
super star soldier
wonder momo
w-ring
xevious

CD
buster bros
l-dis
nexzr special
rayxanber II
rayxanber III
psychic storm
sapphire
shubibinman 3
spriggan
summer carnival alzadick
super darius
valis II
valis III
valis IV
dracula x
faussete amour
galaxy keiji gayvan
gate of thunder
lords of thunder
star parodier
sylphia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Rirse posted:

Probably doesn't help the controller is so loving short that I have to pull it out to use.

The controllers actually use a pretty standard din connector so extension cables are cheap and easy to find.