Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Croccers posted:

The only card-based video games I've ever liked are the Acid games and Slay The Spire

I just picked up slay the spire. its really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Survive should have been 19.99 or 29.99, I think that given the content the price point is too close to standard retail to seem like a great value. Especially the way the endgame content is time gated since it seems a lot of the best stuff is from the solo base defense.

Finding a game at peak hours isn't the worst I've seen but it can seem impossible in the morning or late at night. Matchmaking also sucks because you're stuck at a screen and can't even gently caress around with your loadout in the staging area.

I really enjoy the gameplay but Survive has its share of problems. Way better than the multiplayer in mgsv though, that was easily the worst its been. Hopefully they add a bunch of wacky equipment and cosmetics or I'll be bored in a month.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
MGS5 multiplayer makes me so mad because it seems like it would have been SO EASY to allow for free roam Dark Souls style invasions. Like you open that up once you get the wormhole tech. Imagine just rolling through some outposts listening to Final Countdown on your iPod and

XOF Soldier xxxSomeAssholexxx has invaded!

FOB invasions are basically the same thing. The pieces were already there. If Survive had that, I'd buy.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 1, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Croccers posted:

The only card-based video games I've ever liked are the Acid games and Slay The Spire

Someone was telling me about Slay the Spire last week and I'm intrigued although I almost never buy PC games anymore.

The first AC!D was so awesome that it's one of the only games I ever lost sleep over. I would go to bed thinking about it and eventually just get up in the middle of the night and play it lol it was insane.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CJacobs posted:

edit: Remember all of the doomsaying about Rising back in the day? "Kojima didn't have very much involvement with Rising so it's going to be bad. This game is NOT a metal gear game" etc etc. It's the same poo poo over and over again.

I mean, this excludes the part where the kojima-less team ended up going vastly overbudget with an unfinished confused game, and needed to be picked up and salvaged by Platinum.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Acid was really cool. I remember there was some weird gimmick in either 1 or 2 where you could put a cardboard thing on your psp and get some kind of cheap 3d goggles, but it didn't work because I had a PSP GO.

The PSP was honestly a really cool system; it had a lot of neat games including those as well as Peace Walker, of course. Portable Ops I never played; was it any good?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Brutakas posted:

You should play TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan.

I honestly forgot about all the licensed games they did, so I retract my statement. MGR is better than The Legend of Korra, but it's still not a patch on Bayo or Wonderful 101 imo

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Youtubers probably don't care anymore already because that's not going to get them clicks.

Also likely means none of that "planned" additional content will ever materialize. Game is dead.

This is likely my biggest grievance. It will be settled sometime this month when I get a chance to see how (in)substantial the upcoming rescue mission type is. But if it turns up something pretty good, it will be a massive bummer that what amounts to an MGS5 funtime expandalone that could have included any zany gametype/idea from the entire franchise without impacting any of the fan's precious canon won't see any of it beyond a silly rex/ray vanity headpiece.

Anyway, I still got my 30$ worth already. Maybe something strange will happen and we'll actually see a year's worth of new content before Konami finally gives up on the thing. Maybe there's hope audiences look past the brand and actually invests in the only super fun survival game on the market.

Right? :unsmith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

corn in the bible posted:

I honestly forgot about all the licensed games they did, so I retract my statement. MGR is better than The Legend of Korra, but it's still not a patch on Bayo or Wonderful 101 imo

I’d rank it just slightly below Bayo 1/2 and above W101. Its only shortcoming for me is it’s a bit too short.

I love the writing and characters in it and think it’s some of the best of any Metal Gear.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I realize I wrote that earlier thing really bluntly, and I'm sorry for being a jackass. MGR is good, it's just not as good as other things!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Portable Ops has a bad story and rough controls, but it's still very fun and was the origin of capturing soldiers to assemble your team in Peace Walker. Portable Ops Plus rips out the story and instead adds enormous amounts of missions, items, and good multiplayer.

E: TMNT is weird because it plays like if a platinum game had its difficulty ripped out by the throat and score system flattened. It really hammers how integral having a finely tuned scoring system is to their games.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

I realize I wrote that earlier thing really bluntly, and I'm sorry for being a jackass. MGR is good, it's just not as good as other things!

Objectively I agree, MGR is definitely not Bayo 2 or even 1, but subjectively it's probably my favorite Platinum game. There's something about seeing another developer actually get Metal Gear and manage to augment it with their own brand of craziness into something special.

Seal team 10
Mar 2, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Terminally Bored posted:

man, mgs fans are the whiniest bunch of gamers I've ever seen. Konami closes down the KJP, cuts the last metal gear game before it's done and then releases a last grasp for cash before the MGS trademark loses its value and they still go 'waaah but Kojima'. Be consumers, dammit, pay for that survival zombie poo poo and be glad you could.

I'm hyperbolising of course. Survive is perfectly ok game that would get zero sales if not for the Metal Gear in the name but Rising is one of Platinum's best games. There is no comparison.

You should try it when you calm down

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I like Survive but there's some things that would make it objectively better with zero additional effort. For example, the campaign only has one proper boss, and an additional boss you fight in a defense thing (though it's a cool one spanning your base you've built over the last 15 hours so at least it's a good one). However once you get the credit roll new bonus bosses appear around the world! They could have easily been put in the campaign (with a higher level version in the postgame if needed) but they simply weren't. Similarly, there's a lot of enemy types including various weird monsters, so there's no reason that you only see basic zombies for, like, six hours of gameplay. Sure, the player early on lacks resources to deal with the flying creatures or mortars, but you could have maybe put some armored guys in or whatever. In both cases the hard work (designing, animating, and implementing a creature) has already been done; they just... don't show up. And that's true for far too long.

The spider ruin is a great horror moment, though, and I'm glad they didn't show up until then. Once they do though, put them out in the world! Why not? That's how some of the other enemies are handled!

Lots of games start strong and end weak, since they know players often don't finish. I've never before seen a game that starts weak and ends strong. Bizarre

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
All I need to get full enjoyment out of MGS is fighting those optional super bosses. One showed up at double my level and that was it. I got new toys to try out now.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The spider ruin is a great horror moment, though, and I'm glad they didn't show up until then. Once they do though, put them out in the world! Why not? That's how some of the other enemies are handled!
They do eventually:

They rock up around Container Washups and Distress Signals.

Of course this mostly in Post-game.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So I finally got around to purchasing phantom pain and just finished awakening and holy poo poo it was awesome! Is the rest of the game this amped up?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

General consensus has always been the gameplay is super awesome and the story is barely there

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Here's my hot take: Metal Gear Survive is more a game you need to invest time in. Bad for reviewers to play, but if you got time to kill it sure does the job well.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

areyoucontagious posted:

So I finally got around to purchasing phantom pain and just finished awakening and holy poo poo it was awesome! Is the rest of the game this amped up?

I found it uneven. Some of the key story missions (which tend to be more cutscene-heavy) have that feel.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

I found it uneven. Some of the key story missions (which tend to be more cutscene-heavy) have that feel.

"Story missions" and "cutscene heavy" are very bad words to use to describe anything in MGSV in the context of a metal gear thread.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

widespread posted:

Here's my hot take: Metal Gear Survive is more a game you need to invest time in. Bad for reviewers to play, but if you got time to kill it sure does the job well.

yeah cause when i play video games i think "man, i hope this one makes me feel like i really earned my fun. that other game was fun from the start and that's lame as gently caress."

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

"Story missions" and "cutscene heavy" are very bad words to use to describe anything in MGSV in the context of a metal gear thread.

So much of the rest are “Go take out a mook. Go rescue someone. Take out a different mook.”

The unevenness is probably related to my experience of the game getting easier in later missions, rather than the difficulty increasing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

areyoucontagious posted:

not really. if you like shooting people or sneaking it delivers those things but the Big Moments are few and far between in MGSV. it's mostly assaulting bases.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Birdstrike posted:

So much of the rest are “Go take out a mook. Go rescue someone. Take out a different mook.”

The unevenness is probably related to my experience of the game getting easier in later missions, rather than the difficulty increasing.

I feel like that "uneveness" was less due to the game getting easier and more that you had a lot of tools that the game never compensated for. Had the enemy evolution gone much further than "blow up bases with your away team to remove their armor" it would have done a lot to help even out the difficulty cliff.

Other modern stealth games gave enemies thermal tracking, drones, etc to counteract your power creep but it didn't feel like that happened in MGSV.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

not really. if you like shooting people or sneaking it delivers those things but the Big Moments are few and far between in MGSV. it's mostly assaulting bases.

I’m a simple man with simple tastes so that will be enough . I was just very impressed with the opening

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I'm slowly playing through MGS3, just got to Graniny Gorki where all the scientists have a hive-mind and if one of them sees you, then another scientist in another room is instantly running towards an alarm panel. Oh, also the scientists see right through your lab coat disguise.

Gonna be a crowded river, boys.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

areyoucontagious posted:

I’m a simple man with simple tastes so that will be enough . I was just very impressed with the opening

I would simply include a disclaimer that keeping your expectations about what constitutes a "base" in check would be a good idea.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Copper Vein posted:

I'm slowly playing through MGS3, just got to Graniny Gorki where all the scientists have a hive-mind and if one of them sees you, then another scientist in another room is instantly running towards an alarm panel. Oh, also the scientists see right through your lab coat disguise.

I don't recall this being that difficult as long as you don't walk face first at the scientists. Sometimes I'd shoot my way out but that was after infiltrating.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Copper Vein posted:

Don't wear the mask alongside the lab coat; if you look at the ID on the coat, it's Snake's regular face. Also don't bump into them or move too quickly in their lives of sight.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
smh my head if anyone deals with Graniny Gorki any other way but this

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Danaru posted:

smh my head if anyone deals with Graniny Gorki any other way but this

God drat I really need to play this poo poo again. Should I get the HD collection on 360 or just gently caress it and bust out my PS2?

Also, I wish your avatar could be my emblem on MGSV.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
that long-rear end ladder is kojima at his best

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
MGS3 is almost 14 years old and still has the best indoor camera in the MG series, and maybe all of gaming.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Is it safe to just say that MGS3 as a whole is the best in the series? The story is self-contained enough that anyone can pick it up and play, and the weeaboo tropes, while still present, are somewhat minimal. The story is very grounded, relative to the rest of the series. I also love the camo system and thought the octo version in MGS4 took that idea and made things easier, in a bad way. And the boss fights... oooooh the boss fights

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

No, MGS2 is the best in the series. The camo system in 3 never added anything but another step you take when you enter an area, since you always just pick the best one and there always IS a best one. 2 has Raiden, and the best soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hkqqZx2rTE

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The best of the series is clearly Ghost Babel

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You ruined the dinner, Raiden! I was so embarrassed!!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The best in the series is the one with the hamsters... and the owl... and the pigeon feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

MGS 1 is the best, even though it does everything it does worse than all the rest of the games do it. That game ate my life when it came out, none of the other games, for all their hype and quality did the same.