Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 198

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh gods, that went by so drat fast! I cannot loving wait 'til next week! Gotouge, you bastard! You don't know what you're doing to me here, dammit! :suspense:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Well thats going to be insanely animated when it comes out in anime form

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like how well they've made the battle feel so desperate.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

I like how well they've made the battle feel so desperate.
I mean, hundreds of people (almost every rank & file member of the Demon Slaying Corps, up to the dadgum leader) are loving dead, most of, if not outright all of the current Pillars are going to either die/discharge their duties due to career-ending injuries (not to mention the fact that both Shinobu and Muichirou died in order to take on the top 2 Upper Moons). The current leader of the organization is a 9 year old boy who's probably going to have a horrible case of PTSD by the time this is over.

And I'm really not liking Tanjirou's odds once this battle is done. :ohdear:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

I mean, hundreds of people (almost every rank & file member of the Demon Slaying Corps, up to the dadgum leader) are loving dead, most of, if not outright all of the current Pillars are going to either die/discharge their duties due to career-ending injuries (not to mention the fact that both Shinobu and Muichirou died in order to take on the top 2 Upper Moons). The current leader of the organization is a 9 year old boy who's probably going to have a horrible case of PTSD by the time this is over.

Luckily for him, the curse placed upon his family means he'll only suffer from PTSD for like 20 years as opposed to like 50 or something.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah. Heckuva lot of burden to leave on a shrimpy little fella.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
having the entire cast be willing to die for a cause and then actually doing so is very rare in manga. usually with that level of resolve there's some copout like the dead people all miraculously surviving. none of these characters thinks they are going to survive this fight, and it's very striking.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

having the entire cast be willing to die for a cause and then actually doing so is very rare in manga. usually with that level of resolve there's some copout like the dead people all miraculously surviving. none of these characters thinks they are going to survive this fight, and it's very striking.

Rock Pillar is unlikely to survive the night, even ignoring his wounds; marked slayers generally die before the age of 25 and he's like 27, Kokushibou even points this out.

The only 2 people to survive past that are Yorichii, who had god cast permanent versions of every available buff on him on birth, and Kokushibou, who turned into a demon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wark Say posted:

To be fair killing Muzan could very well kill every demon with his blood as well. And even if it doesn’t the demons will be hosed with no more Muzan blood to power them up and no way to reproduce.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

RatHat posted:

To be fair killing Muzan could very well kill every demon with his blood as well. And even if it doesn’t the demons will be hosed with no more Muzan blood to power them up and no way to reproduce.

And all the demon moons that you need a pillar to deal with are dead.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Finally looks to be ending thank god.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

paragon1 posted:

And all the demon moons that you need a pillar to deal with are dead.

Except for the new #5, whoever that is.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mraagvpeine posted:

Except for the new #5, whoever that is.
Zenitsu's senpai was the New #6 if memory doesn't fail me.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So how do you think they'll finish Muzan off after he pulls the usual trick of surviving the thing that should surely kill him off?

Mostly a joke but ha ha wouldn't that be hosed up?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wasn't biwa player the new 5?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

paragon1 posted:

She was 4. We are missing 5.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nope! Nakime (biwa-shreddin' demon) took over Hantengu after he got murked, so she got the good ol' daiji of 肆 etched into her eye.

Also notice how she doesn't have the Upper/Lower kanji for distinction anymore now that the "old order"/lower moons are a done fuckin' deal. Contrast with Mukago:

As you can see here, here's what the daiji for Upper Five looks like:

... well, it could be clearer. gently caress. Um... for comparison, here's our good ol' buddy, Lower Moon Five/Domestic Abuser/FuckSpiderThemedDemonGetThatShitAwayFromMeFuckFuckFuckFuck Rui

e: Beaten harder than Kyogai's drums. :shobon:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 17, 2020

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Nakime is No. 4.

-e-
I should check if somebody posted after I've looked it up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"poo poo I don't have anyone else"

-Muzan before making himself #5

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So uh spoilers are out for this chapter and it's a pretty big one.

Tanjirou loses an arm. Muzan transforms into his "true form"(a giant baby) and desperately tries to escape as the sun comes up but the pillars block him. He disintegrates in the sun as the chapter ends. Nezuko still hasn't arrived.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RatHat posted:

Tanjirou loses an arm. Muzan transforms into his "true form"(a giant baby) and desperately tries to escape as the sun comes up but the pillars block him. He disintegrates in the sun as the chapter ends. Nezuko still hasn't arrived.

That's uhhh... a thing I guess.

Edit: Ok I found the video of the spoilers, https://youtu.be/V36A3cFVLQw. No loving clue where all of this goes now to be honest and it feels...I dunno, kind of underwhelming?

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 19, 2020

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RatHat posted:

Wow :sigh:

drat, I expected Nezuko to arrive like chapters ago but that's lol esp the giant baby. TBH, the series started to decline pretty rapidly the last few vol so I didn't expect anything but I'm still disappointed.

I will rmb the series for the highlights Shinobu, Inozuke, crows, Giyuu, and Butterfly manor.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Alder posted:

Wow :sigh:

drat, I expected Nezuko to arrive like chapters ago but that's lol esp the giant baby. TBH, the series started to decline pretty rapidly the last few vol so I didn't expect anything but I'm still disappointed.

I will rmb the series for the highlights Shinobu, Inozuke, crows, Giyuu, and Butterfly manor.

Shueisha probably pulled the plug before the anime started and quickly jammed it back in when sales exploded, except it now has brain damage and will never be the way it was before.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lurking Haro posted:

Shueisha probably pulled the plug before the anime started and quickly jammed it back in when sales exploded, except it now has brain damage and will never be the way it was before.

Bunch of people on sites like the reddit for the series and mangahelpers have been praising this turn of events(not universally mind you) which I've found...interesting. The general point being that Muzan is dying exactly as how he's represented and his death was a complete group effort and Tanjiro was never really meant to match Yorochi or something to this effect.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's nice. usually when there's some legendary figure with amazing accomplishments the protagonist has to equal or exceed them. but nah, this guy was uniquely talented and no one like him has appeared again.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I mean Muzan dying exactly how he lived a whining scared baby with bad impulse control rules. Guess we'll see exactly how it all goes down in a day or so.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone still excited about potential S2? I'm like actually maybe S1 and the movie should be all there is since the following vol was blah.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alder posted:

Anyone still excited about potential S2? I'm like actually maybe S1 and the movie should be all there is since the following vol was blah.

The Red Light District arc? Yeah I liked that arc, but it felt like it would NEVER end.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

The Red Light District arc? Yeah I liked that arc, but it felt like it would NEVER end.

I liked the Red Light district I meant the ending and the ch leading up to it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like that. Like how in Slam Dunk neither Sakuragi nor Rukawa suddenly become these "once in a generation" basketball prodigies by the end. Sakuragi becomes proficient enough to actually make a good showing and become a strong part of the team while Rukawa further understands what makes him work as a strong solo player while understanding the importance of being a team player and how, despite that, he should still focus on becoming a better ball player overall because he's still not ready for American leagues.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alder posted:

I liked the Red Light district I meant the ending and the ch leading up to it.

The stuff with Rengoku's dad or do you mean the ending of the Red Light District arc? I remember it, just not the specifics of what you may not have liked.

Wark Say posted:

I like that. Like how in Slam Dunk neither Sakuragi nor Rukawa suddenly become these "once in a generation" basketball prodigies by the end. Sakuragi becomes proficient enough to actually make a good showing and become a strong part of the team while Rukawa further understands what makes him work as a strong solo player while understanding the importance of being a team player and how, despite that, he should still focus on becoming a better ball player overall because he's still not ready for American leagues.

The problem is that for the sheer amount of build-up and how amazing some of the fights and the amount of skill and the on the fly improvement and improvising to get there make this feel underwhelming. Like there was so much build-up to Tanjiro learning that calmness tehcnique so enemies can't feel your killing intent and the stuff with the "Dance of the Fire God" only for it to now look like it might not have been necessary in terms of completion. Like there was never any need for Tanjiro to know all 13 forms and complete the dance like his dad was able to do which again after so much build-up feels REALLY bumming.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 21, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it wasn't muzan's secret weakness, no. but it's strength that tanjiro needed because holy poo poo was he ever outmatched. if anything it was a little too convenient how the fire dance's key feature was that it could be sustained long term, which tanjiro learned specifically when he needed to keep going despite his wounds and fatigue.

i liked this fight because while tanjirou is certainly special, he's not so special that it necessarily had to be him in this role. muzan was beaten by strategy and numbers, not the idiosyncrasies of any specific combatant. aside from how they kept him alive, tanjirou's sword fighting skills were almost incidental to the overall plot. his greatest asset was always what a good boy he is. the demon slayers only reached this point because tanjirou made friends and refused to give up on his sister.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if anything it was a little too convenient how the fire dance's key feature was that it could be sustained long term, which tanjiro learned specifically when he needed to keep going despite his wounds and fatigue.

That aspect of it was the very first thing we learned, back during the Rui fight.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Also against an opponent it's taken every still-living demon slayer to keep from escaping until dawn, Tanjiro was able to keep him occupied for several minutes by himself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Also against an opponent it's taken every still-living demon slayer to keep from escaping until dawn, Tanjiro was able to keep him occupied for several minutes by himself.

Hey now, he was doing his best at using the same style as that one guy who instantly sliced through every brain and heart in his body and decapitated him. Plus by the time he showed up all those extra drugs had had way more time to work on him.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don’t understand why there was that chapter about how he was supposed to keep going through the Dance of the Fire God to learn the final form. That seems kind of pointless now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-chapter-199/chapter/20234?action=read

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Tanjiro wasn't on the same level as the legendary dude, but the fact that Muzan has also had however many hundreds of years to grow in power and craftiness counts for something. Maybe if Yorichi fought the Muzan of today, he wouldn't have done as well.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nanigans posted:

Tanjiro wasn't on the same level as the legendary dude, but the fact that Muzan has also had however many hundreds of years to grow in power and craftiness counts for something. Maybe if Yorichi fought the Muzan of today, he wouldn't have done as well.

Yorichi irreversibly scarred Muzan and made him the paranoid pissbaby he is right now.
Even Old yorichi would have finished the job.