Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

They're not really amoral contract killers though. They are people who are trying to redeem themselves.

If you're trying to redeem yourself for being an amoral killer, the first step is to stop doing amoral killings. The Guardians didn't stop.

And if you want to redeem yourself for making rape jokes, the first step is to stop making rape jokes. Gunn didn't stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If you're trying to redeem yourself for being an amoral killer, the first step is to stop doing amoral killings. The Guardians didn't stop.

Okay. What is, your opinion the difference between a moral and amoral killing?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

Okay. What is, your opinion the difference between a moral and amoral killing?

The movies joke about how little regard the Guardians have for human life. Lovable old Groot kills a dozen people and smiles at the camera. Violence is bad because it's a possible impediment for relationships, not because of any suffering it inflicts. There's no sense of morality or righteousness at play, and the satire is stillborn.

Besson drew inspiration from Euro-comics and their skeptical philosophy for Fifth Element. It's clear that the nominally good Earth government isn't really any better than the brutish aliens, who are both an aggrieved party and a pack of self-destructive idiots. This gives the action a wonderful sense of farce and pettiness that undermines Korben Dallas's macho militarism and serves to contrast against and justify the cosmic confrontation of good and evil. The movie presents a world of frivolous morons and bullshit politics, and argues that it's worth saving.

Gunn on the other hand argues that Zap Brannigan is a real hero, especially when he kills people.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
[

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The idea that this is all the work of that dastardly Alan horn is literally just a rumor that's been getting spun up regardless of actual truth because it provides a name and face to hold responsible, rather than requiring people to face up that Disney itself is the problem.

quote:

Mike Cernovich is literally a household name now because of Disney.

Yes it is with fathers with kids. Mothers with kids? Not so much, but explain the thing and wow.

Pigbuster posted:

Yeah people here are way overestimating how much attention the average person is giving to this debacle. You should always assume most people don't actually read any articles at all and just go by vague hearsay, and insignificant details are gonna be lost in that gossip line. Most people barely pay any more attention to politics, and that's something that actually impacts their lives.

Dude we went over this. We can honestly predict a one weekend wonder once the fans and public get a whiff of not Gunn-ess in the movie... unless they MAGICALLY FIND A NEW AWESOME DIRECTOR

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ramen Pride! posted:

Dude we went over this. We can honestly predict a one weekend wonder once the fans and public get a whiff of not Gunn-ess in the movie... unless they MAGICALLY FIND A NEW AWESOME DIRECTOR

What special directorial talents did Gunn bring to the table?

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
Unless some magical news comes out in January.... GotG is DEAD as a franchise. It breaks my heart.

Sean Gunn is going to be at a Louisville con soon. I wish I could get there just to give him a hug.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

My god if I didn't love/hate you so much I would have you banned. So hush for a little bit. Just a tad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ramen Pride! posted:

Sean Gunn is going to be at a Louisville con soon. I wish I could get there just to give him a hug.

Tell him you got a ticket for the gunnshow.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Tell him you got a ticket for the gunnshow.

I cannot participate because I got Gunnorehea.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It really doesn't matter what talent he brought to the table. What matters is that people really liked the movies and rightly or wrongly believes that only Gunn can make a good Guardians movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

It really doesn't matter what talent he brought to the table. What matters is that people really liked the movies and rightly or wrongly believes that only Gunn can make a good Guardians movie.

How many audience members do you think know who James Gunn even is?

The Russo brothers made one of the greatest hits in movie history, and most audience members don't know who they are. Even fans don't give a poo poo about them.

e: Also, why am I not surprised that someone on a movie discussion board would declare that the skills of a director don't matter

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 11, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I just want to remind you all that Marvel has found directors to replace Jon Favreau, Patty Jenkins, Edgar Wright, and Joss Whedon and all of their replacements’ movies did just fine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

I just want to remind you all that Marvel has found directors to replace Jon Favreau, Patty Jenkins, Edgar Wright, and Joss Whedon and all of their replacements’ movies did just fine.

None of those had the direction and writing so heavily influenced by the director as GOTG. I think Gunn was even the sole writer for GOTG 2.

Also Patty Jenkins never worked for Marvel. She's the Wonder Woman director.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Patty Jenkins was supposed to direct Thor 2 at one point.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MorgaineDax posted:

Patty Jenkins was supposed to direct Thor 2 at one point.

She was on the project for less than 2 months and her ideas weren't used at all. She probably had less influence on the film than craft services.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

None of those had the direction and writing so heavily influenced by the director as GOTG. I think Gunn was even the sole writer for GOTG 2.

I'm reminded of how that one moron insisted that Disney-Marvel absolutely needs Gunn to direct these movies, since they had him serve as consultant on Infinity War to get the Guardians right.

That was their argument, they thought that the franchise and its characters were absolutely unique and can't be done without Gunn's deft touch. No one is able to direct performances as exquisite as Rocket Raccoon, the talking animal with guns, or Groot, the character who repeats the same three words and turns into a cute baby mascot.

So again, what special directorial talents did Gunn bring to the table?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 11, 2018

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Okay, so they're murderers, but they're also a family. Just like in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If they ever make another Guardians movie it will do fine, but if they don’t it doesn’t matter because they will just make some other comics movie instead and no matter what it is it will do about as well as Guardians did.

The vast majority of people who see these things don’t care about the directors and don’t know who James Gunn is. The directors are the most replaceable part in the marvel formula.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I definitely think that Gunn was instrumental in shaping the tone of GOTG (and it does have a unique tone insomuch how it compares to the rest of the MCU), but I think a pretty solid blueprint has been established throughout the two movies and the Guardians' appearance in Infinity War, that anybody with a checklist and marching orders could probably produce something similar enough to Gunn's work that your average moviegoing audience wouldn't notice any changes happened behind the scenes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If they ever make another Guardians movie it will do fine, but if they don’t it doesn’t matter because they will just make some other comics movie instead and no matter what it is it will do about as well as Guardians did.

The vast majority of people who see these things don’t care about the directors and don’t know who James Gunn is. The directors are the most replaceable part in the marvel formula.

I agree that most fans don't care about directors, but the Guardians actually are pretty drat important to the wider MCU in that they're the primary connection to all the cosmic stuff that's become so crucial. They have Captain Marvel coming up, but the Guardians series was already massively successful and important to being able to have a natural through-line from all the Earth-based characters to the space-based ones. I'm sure they really really really do not want to have to cut bait on the series entirely.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fart City posted:

GOTG (and it does have a unique tone insomuch how it compares to the rest of the MCU)

How, precisely?

Basebf555 posted:

I agree that most fans don't care about directors, but the Guardians actually are pretty drat important to the wider MCU in that they're the primary connection to all the cosmic stuff that's become so important.

Outer space was introduced to the movies through the Thor series.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 11, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

How, precisely?

The overall usage of color, and how licensed music is utilized throughout both films is pretty different than anything you'd see in the MCU, to the point that Rubberband Man is used as an identifying cue for the Guardians' appearance in Infinity War. You can rip on the writing and the characters all day, but I think it would be a hard sell to say that the GOTG installments don't at least look and sound different in a way that a bog-standard Captain American movie doesn't feel or look particularly different from an Iron Man installment. Ragnarok got a piece of that pie, but it came well after a standard had been set with the first two GOTG movies.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fart City posted:

The overall usage of color, and how licensed music is utilized throughout both films is pretty different than anything you'd see in the MCU, to the point that Rubberband Man is used as an identifying cue for the Guardians' appearance in Infinity War. You can rip on the writing and the characters all day, but I think it would be a hard sell to say that the GOTG installments don't at least look and sound different in a way that a bog-standard Captain American movie doesn't feel or look particularly different from an Iron Man installment. Ragnarok got a piece of that pie, but it came well after a standard had been set with the first two GOTG movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LIIhSHgjTw

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Shoot To Thrill wasn't a plot point in Iron Man 2.

Or was it???

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Fart City posted:

Adding to this.

The opening scene to GotG was shocking the first time I saw it. It started like you would expect, lone space man doing secret mission on dangerous planet. It seemed like "welp, more of the same I guess". Then he clicked play on his Walkman and started dancing around and acting silly and it immediately put a smile on my face and gave me a feeling that I was about to see something new, something original, something fun. I mean, I was confused, I was looking at other people in the theater with a feeling of "are you all seeing this? this is happening, right?" but it was so refreshing. From that moment, all the way to "we are groot" it was like no other MCU movie I had seen. It used music in a way that hadn't been done and hasn't been done again until GotG2. Parts of the movie were written around the music, that's how integrated it was.
Gunn had to fight for that, to use the music he wanted. That was his vision, not Kevin Fiege's or the studio.
And it worked, by God, somehow it worked.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Baby Groot James Gunn's creation?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

UFOTacoMan posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Baby Groot James Gunn's creation?

Not really, The whole thing of Groot dying and coming back through a sapling was done in the big event that reintroduced the Guardians. Gunn just took the concept and made him cuter.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
ahh ok, Thanks!
also...
through my extensive research I've learned that Gunn says Groot died in GOTG1 and Baby Groot is actually Groot's son.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

UFOTacoMan posted:

through my extensive research I've learned that Gunn says Groot died in GOTG1 and Baby Groot is actually Groot's son.

what the gently caress. why would you tell us this.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
loving Hollywood pedophiles, constantly thinking of ways to make wholesome characters fit their fetish.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Aleph Null posted:

It started like you would expect, lone space man doing secret mission on dangerous planet. It seemed like "welp, more of the same I guess".

It's kind of amazing that fans of a sci-fi movie hate sci-fi.

That was the only scene in the entire MCU to have any mystery or grandeur in it, and it was set-up for a joke about how mystery and grandeur are still impossible to have in these movies.

Aleph Null posted:

Then he clicked play on his Walkman and started dancing around and acting silly and it immediately put a smile on my face and gave me a feeling that I was about to see something new, something original, something fun. I mean, I was confused, I was looking at other people in the theater with a feeling of "are you all seeing this? this is happening, right?" but it was so refreshing. From that moment, all the way to "we are groot" it was like no other MCU movie I had seen. It used music in a way that hadn't been done and hasn't been done again until GotG2.
And it worked, by God, somehow it worked.

Hahaha

It's nothing new or unique, people just have bad memory:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't understand how anyone can treat GOTG being fun as some kind of revelation. All the Marvel movies are fun and breezy. That's kind of their calling card. Black Panther starts out with him fighting child soldiers and then within 20 minutes he's quipping about how fun it is to live in a secret city and goofing off with his kid sister in Willy Wonka's Superhero Factory.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a different kind of fun. The tone, the jokes, the action (sorrrttaaaa) all stand a bit apart from the other films. I mean Guardians opens up with the brutally sad death of a mother and the reluctance of a child to accept it, causing him to ignore his mothers dying moment, not knowing this was the very very end.

It hits you harder because you expect silly space movie. And then it goes into silly space movie 2 minutes after that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a different kind of fun. The tone, the jokes, the action (sorrrttaaaa) all stand a bit apart from the other films. I mean Guardians opens up with the brutally sad death of a mother and the reluctance of a child to accept it, causing him to ignore his mothers dying moment, not knowing this was the very very end.

People really have bad memory, because Iron Man 2 already opened up with the hero losing his parent, when you're expecting a silly robot-man action movie. You're not describing anything unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kki4QHqFNE

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Also that scene in Guardians was fuckin' baaaaaaaad. The worst kind of sentimental schmaltz.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bonaventure posted:

Also that scene in Guardians was fuckin' baaaaaaaad. The worst kind of sentimental schmaltz.

Worked for me.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Worked for me.

I like that people no longer even have the confidence that Gunn made good movies.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bonaventure posted:

It was so schmaltzy, I forgot it happened.
It wasn't really needed and may have worked better as a flashback later in the film.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If you like dancing and poo poo may I suggest spiderman 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The dancing scenes are the only good scenes in Spider-Man 3.

• Locked thread