Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Car Hater posted:

Critical mass imo, habitats are too fractured and monoculture is too pervasive to maintain breeding populations in the face of all the chemicals etc, and so we've hit the Seneca cliff for bugs.

I suspect what's happening or about to happen is the phase transition effect observed in robust network topologies wherein you can keep removing nodes without the functioning of the network as a whole declining by much up to a certain point, after which collapse accelerates exponentially.

It happens in computer networks, financial networks, supply chains, societies, human brains, and ecosystems.

E.g. for a supply chain there may be a period where out-of-business manufacturers of a specific widget can be replaced with others (at a cost to efficiency due to transportation needs, increased stress on remaining supply, etc), but eventually you may not be able to find one at all, or one that makes economic sense. Then the collapse starts to cascade.

Or: For an Alzheimer's sufferer, the symptoms may be fairly mild at first. As neuron connectivity decreases, they may get progressively more forgetful over the course of a decade, then suddenly they run out of slack as subsequent connectivity loss starts segmenting the network into mutually unconnected islands. In the span of a year they go from basically functioning to no longer being able to recognize themselves in a mirror.

In a simulation it looks like this:

Synapse loss and progress of Alzheimer’s disease - A network model posted:

During this time, the LSCC is still very robust and spans the entire network. During the later stages of decay, the slope abruptly increases. This is the point where the network begins to fall apart and the disconnected components begin to appear and loss of connecting paths dominates over loss of efficiency of existing paths.

Ecosystem and habitat loss works the same way.

Multiple interdependent networks may be less robust: https://arxiv.org/abs/0907.1182

Pollinators specifically: https://doi.org/10.1111/ele.12236

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Imagine four balls on a cliff,

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Trabisnikof posted:

or maybe just a cozy indoor space

you're missing the stripper pole from the vegas house there

petit choux posted:

I've been hearing this for the past couple years but I must have been living in one of the places this hasn't occurred yet, the general vicinity of the Great Dismal Swamp. I'm no longer there and don't drive around the countryside as much but when I lived in eastern NC my car was always a Jackson Pollock of bugs by the end of every long drive.

it's definitely variable based on region, and in some of the few places that are still a bit wild (and not baked to death) you'll often find a ton of insects still. but that won't last forever.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

me, reaping nodes: haha gently caress yeah!!! yes!!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

RIP Syndrome posted:

Ecosystem and habitat loss works the same way.

Multiple interdependent networks may be less robust: https://arxiv.org/abs/0907.1182

Pollinators specifically: https://doi.org/10.1111/ele.12236

It's a good thing we were so careful to ensure all the tiny pockets of habitat were separated by effectively deserts filled with hostile predators so none of those previously integrated ecosystems could interact.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Plastic is just the planet's amyloid plaque, in a million years aliens'll dig it up and be like yeah this killed the patient, but where did it come from?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
some psychological perspective on why we're hosed:

humans live largely in denial of death: "you're being an alarmist"
diffusion of responsibility: "not my problem"
change blindness: "the climate seems normal to me"
we normalize extreme phenomena very quickly: "there were always hypercanes and megadroughts"

*taps papers on desk*
in conclusion, lol lmao

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
rich people are starting to realize they are strip mining the carrying capacity of the planet and are reading up on eugenics.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
are there any good books on how the British empire handled its famines internally versus publicly? I’m guessing they publicly said “oh no” but privately were profiting a lot.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/fullfrontalsamb/status/1440118594399088640?s=21

I know this will be insufferable neoliberal trash but man I wish it was all these hosts doing that bit from The Newsroom.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Homocow posted:

we normalize extreme phenomena very quickly: "there were always hypercanes and megadroughts"

*taps papers on desk*
in conclusion, lol lmao

This is really helpful. In the dome video, he goes over all of the arguments but I don't have the attention span to like...make a list of them.

It would be rad to expand this into a primer. I think I'm the absence of some great awakening event (lol) it would be nice to have a guideline for having an empathetic conversation that works with lived ones so they can start their process and hopefully follow on with them being able to move into acceptance at least to the point of having some agency with a coping strategy.

It's a hard conversation to have and to be had with. But some primer on reminding people to have empathy and to be able to stop some if these canned argument black holes would be good. The only thing I can hope to do is change the minds around me to acknowledge and hats ahead so that maybe just maybe in the future we end up with a few hundred breeding pairs in Antarctica as opposed to Venus 2.0 for literally ever.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Xeom posted:

living in their moms basement, consuming only the cheapest of cheese covered gruel, only power use being their pc, never leave their house, and never wash or bath.

folks goons have been fighting climate change since the start.

You underestimate the truly staggering amount of simulataneous twitch and youtube streams that would be kept open 24/7.

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

If our goondome is big enough, we might need a rapid transit option from a higher part of the dome to a lower part. Some kind of zipline maybe.

lol

petit choux posted:

I've been hearing this for the past couple years but I must have been living in one of the places this hasn't occurred yet, the general vicinity of the Great Dismal Swamp. I'm no longer there and don't drive around the countryside as much but when I lived in eastern NC my car was always a Jackson Pollock of bugs by the end of every long drive.

There's still plenty of bugs here in Oklahoma, but at the same time I remember driving around with my parents as a kid and constantly getting windows full of smashed bugs. The city has been expanding sure but not so much to completely eliminate all bugs on all of our highways since I've started driving. I can't remember the last time a bug splatted on my windshield.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Serf posted:

kinda glad i didn't go with my childhood dream of being an entomologist

same but marine biology :lmao:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Homocow posted:

*taps papers on desk*
in conclusion, lol lmao

add this to your list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_trap

we've gone through this many, many times before but this time at a global scale with a time lag hence we're super extra hosed now

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

bowser posted:

I know this will be insufferable neoliberal trash but man I wish it was all these hosts doing that bit from The Newsroom.

That's going to be absurdly terrible.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Wakko posted:

same, car hater you should gopro some of these. i bet there's youtube money to be had

i legit can't imagine hooking up for the dying of all lights and somehow being sad about it. okcupid's "not having kids and its very important" slapped back in the day

Missed this, and I guess this is my problem - I can't imagine not being sad about it, and I get mad at people who aren't. Like yeah yeah crack-ping and all, I've done the acceptance loop, even introduced a couple people to the Myth of Sisyphus, not saying I spend all my time being negative. But then like Korea was saying, you spend 3 hours staring out the window on a train ride at a desolate hellscape that you know you and yours are responsible for causing, you spend the rest of the day with the thousand-yard stare, people close to you tend to notice and inquire and awaaaaayyyyy we go!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Car Hater posted:

Missed this, and I guess this is my problem - I can't imagine not being sad about it, and I get mad at people who aren't. Like yeah yeah crack-ping and all, I've done the acceptance loop, even introduced a couple people to the Myth of Sisyphus, not saying I spend all my time being negative. But then like Korea was saying, you spend 3 hours staring out the window on a train ride at a desolate hellscape that you know you and yours are responsible for causing, you spend the rest of the day with the thousand-yard stare, people close to you tend to notice and inquire and awaaaaayyyyy we go!

sounds like you need to watch Life is Beautiful (1997)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

like even absent climate change and ecosystem collapse this world was filled with suffering, tragedy and destruction. and most of it was still driven by the society we live in and are a responsible part of.

you can either ignore the horror, embrace the tragedy, or find microcosms of joy and happiness amongst the world filled with pain.

really it is only you and those around you effected by the choice, and there is not really a moral high-ground to any of them.

so you do you, but i am thankful that i can look out upon that desolate hellscape and find beauty in the arc of branches in the dead trees, in the haze filled sunset, or in the swarm of cockroaches transforming the kibble of our society into more cockroaches

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

bowser posted:

is seth meyers ill

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

like even absent climate change and ecosystem collapse this world was filled with suffering, tragedy and destruction. and most of it was still driven by the society we live in and are a responsible part of.

you can either ignore the horror, embrace the tragedy, or find microcosms of joy and happiness amongst the world filled with pain.

really it is only you and those around you effected by the choice, and there is not really a moral high-ground to any of them.

so you do you, but i am thankful that i can look out upon that desolate hellscape and find beauty in the arc of branches in the dead trees, in the haze filled sunset, or in the swarm of cockroaches transforming the kibble of our society into more cockroaches

I'm thinkin Arby's

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bowser posted:

How many of these are sex offenders again?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
known or statistically likely?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm thinkin Arby's

savoring a good sandwich is another of life's little pleasures, even if its made with ingredients unavailable to most now, and unavailable to even more in the future.

if you've got the meats you better enjoy them

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oh :( gently caress :( gently caress. gently caress. god drat it

https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1440403014565593099?s=20

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Torpor posted:

are there any good books on how the British empire handled its famines internally versus publicly? I’m guessing they publicly said “oh no” but privately were profiting a lot.

Late Victorian Holocausts is worth a read although it isn’t 100% of what you’re looking for.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

silicone thrills posted:

Oh :( gently caress :( gently caress. gently caress. god drat it

https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1440403014565593099?s=20

oh hey i got 500 bucks of hard liquor being delivered later today, how convenient for me because i suddenly feel like drinking

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Meh, a quick death from fire or a slower one from increasing heat and drought will have the same ending. Those trees aren't surviving much longer either way.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/KarlMathiesen/status/1440400260962996227

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
doesn't china get a huge portion of its coal from australia? lol if it's in retaliation to the sub thing

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Complications posted:

Meh, a quick death from fire or a slower one from increasing heat and drought will have the same ending. Those trees aren't surviving much longer either way.

One of my favorite memories from my childhood was the first time I visited the west coast and my sister took me camping in the redwoods and I was like.. idk 14 years old but I decided right then and there I was moving to the west coast when I turned 18 and I already loved nature but it really just triggered something in me to care about all of it so much more.

Seeing the big trees burn is just ripping me apart.

Greenwood and The Golden Spruce are both good as hell books, just btw.

edit: I've been waiting for a good time to go to Sequioa National Park but I guess i've missed it. :(

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Homocow posted:

isn't this blowing the actual science out of proportion?

For example, according to NOAA https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/ :

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/ posted:

Tropical cyclone intensities globally are projected to increase (medium to high confidence) on average (by 1 to 10% according to model projections for a 2 degree Celsius global warming).

a 1 to 10% increase in intensity on average doesn't seem that much to me, seems like these libs are exaggerating here a wee bit if we're gonna call them hypercanes

also:

Tropical cyclone rainfall rates are projected to increase in the future (medium to high confidence) due to anthropogenic warming and accompanying increase in atmospheric moisture content. Modeling studies on average project an increase on the order of 10-15% for rainfall rates averaged within about 100 km of the storm for a 2 degree Celsius global warming scenario.

if rainfall is expected to increase by 10-15%, doesn't that mean we'll have LESS droughts, not more? things just aren't adding up here

and finally:

The model also supports the notion of a substantial decrease (~25%) in the overall number of Atlantic hurricanes and tropical storms with projected 21st century climate warming.

they expect 25% less hurricanes in the 21st century

isn't it incredible how liberals love to pick and choose their scientific "facts"?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lenin Stimpy posted:

if rainfall is expected to increase by 10-15%, doesn't that mean we'll have LESS droughts, not more? things just aren't adding up here

not sure that's how the climate works but what do i know

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Lenin Stimpy posted:

The swamps of florida and louisiana are not where we worry about the droughts so much

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lenin Stimpy posted:

isn't this blowing the actual science out of proportion?

For example, according to NOAA https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/ :

a 1 to 10% increase in intensity on average doesn't seem that much to me, seems like these libs are exaggerating here a wee bit if we're gonna call them hypercanes
Is that an annual average? Because that's a lot.

quote:

also:

I doubt it means rainfall is expected to increase by that percentage everywhere uniformly. Deserts won't suddenly turn into farmland.

quote:

and finally:

they expect 25% less hurricanes in the 21st century

isn't it incredible how liberals love to pick and choose their scientific "facts"?

Oh well then never mind. I guess that wraps it up for environmental catastrophes.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I would say that we might have hope if someone invented teleportation that could really rework the variables like that. Just send clouds drowning cities and wiping out people in landslides to drought stricken croplands. Make "Rain" or whatever a global concept where we can just redirect excess amounts of things as needed.

But we would use it to burn our dwindling artic air on keeping golf courses lush in Phoenix Arizona and instantly deporting climate refugees.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

petit choux posted:

Oh well then never mind. I guess that wraps it up for environmental catastrophes.

Looks like climate change much like covid was very easy ya big dummies fill 'er up!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And all these forest fires all over the planet are just the result of not properly raking the forests. :chaostrump:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Been in my eco friendly tiny home with no internet access for a month but this news about how easy climate change was to solve is really going to make me take a victory lap. Think I'll go visit the beautiful sequoias in california to remind myself of the invincibility and enduring nature of nature over humanity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
lmao mods? MODS!?

https://twitter.com/PaulEDawson/status/1440428121031774215