Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I beat NUTS. The video game I mean, not mine or anyone else's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lmfdao

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Voice of Cards - nice chill game with a good Yoko Taro story.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
tales of arise

pretty standard tales game - not as good as berseria but definitely better than zestiria. didn’t find anyone particularly fun to play as besides rinwell and the main dude

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Pocky and Rocky 2. The game is 90% just figuring out when to throw your partner at the boss and is surprisingly buggy for how simple it is but I still overall enjoyed it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

rodbeard posted:

Pocky and Rocky 2. The game is 90% just figuring out when to throw your partner at the boss and is surprisingly buggy for how simple it is but I still overall enjoyed it.

I beat this too, it was fun as hell

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

6. We Were Here

This is a co-op first person puzzle game where the gimmick is you and a partner are each in different parts of a castle and have to describe things to each other to solve puzzles, so for example there might be a series of symbols you have to match across your two areas. It's pretty short, but most of the puzzles are decent, and it's free to play on Steam if this sounds at all interesting. There's a couple of sequels I might check out at some point.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. M.U.S.H.A.
2. Ion Fury
3. Thunder Force II
4. Guardians of the Galaxy

Gameplay was just ok, but it was also one of those games where I put up with bland gameplay just to see where the story was going, and I largely enjoyed it on that level.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Also just beat Guardians of the Galaxy, mostly agree, pretty repetitive by the end, fighting the same sort of enemies, not much real depth or customization. Looked and sounded great though.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Pocky & Rocky 2

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

herculon posted:

Pocky & Rocky 2

This

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Final Fantasy VII Remake, took the stairs

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I wonder if in the next parts of the VII remake they make it so aeris  dies

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Aeris lives

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

6. Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei (NES version). Kind of a turd. I wrote a bunch mroe words in the smt thread. i dont think first person dungeon crawlers is a genre for me.

In Training fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 21, 2022

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

1. SMT V
2. FFV Pixel Remaster

Great game and great remaster, imo. It's been great to see these games get ports where the makers actually give a poo poo about the final product, and how it looks and sounds.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

pocky and rocky 2. really great game aside from one incredibly lovely level. gonna need to try 1 sometime

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Clone Drone in the Danger Zone (normal) - This game is actually pretty dope. It's decently challenging, has a lot of optional content and is really satisfying to play definite 9/10. I'll probably come back and try the insane difficulty eventually, even though it's really brutal.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
6+ King Kong for the Playstation 2 (Alternative End Clear)

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Mamkute posted:

lmfao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Mamkute posted:

thats an alternate end :monocle:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
T'was beauty... that married the beast. *bridal march plays*

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

T'was beauty... that married the beast. *bridal march plays*

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

4. Warioware: Get It Together!

felt myself burning out with Persona 4 so i'm taking a bit of a break from it and beat something short in the interim. wasn't the biggest fan of the party member mechanic since there's only so much you could do to diversify everyone's playstyles and as a result most were extremely similar to one another, it was still a fun time and scratched a Warioware itch i had ever since i last played one of them back in high school. gonna try out the Wario Cup for a bit and maybe some co-op in the near future.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Greedfall. I did all companion quests and most side quests (I couldn't be bothered to do one of the collection quests and the arena, and a few got canceled without warning by main story progress which thankfully didn't seem to effect the story) and resolved them all as diplomatically as possible, so I think I nearly got the best ending possible, it ends with a Fallout: New Vegas style slideshow telling you how all the factions and companions fared after the main story and they were all nice and peaceful and all the factions held hands and learned from each other, except the DLC storyline which I bungled a little.

Overall I liked it a lot, it's a lot like a mid-budget Witcher 3, both in the action-RPG combat and the quest and dialogue systems. You play as a diplomat in a colonial government in a fantasy version of the 17th-18th century colonization of the Americas, who believes that the new world has the key to a cure for a disease ravaging the home continent, so you search for this cure while trying to maintain relations between your country, the other colonial powers, and the natives. The combat was fun but it falls into the standard open world trap of having too much of it when you're just trying to get from point A to point B, and most of the enemies, especially in the open world between quests, are animals which I never really have fun fighting in these action-RPG games unless they're like Cleric Beast-style big monsters (though there are plenty of those too).

I also would have preferred it if there were maybe a couple more factions and that at least some of them were mutually exclusive, it really feels like a game that should have had more Witcher 3-style hard choices instead of being able to make friends with everyone--if I remember correctly the earliest previews of the game described a ton of different factions, both colonial and native, and being able to forge alliances with some against the others but I guess it scaled back during development. But I still liked the story, characters, and world a lot and would love to see another game in this setting. Great art direction too.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

5) Pocky and Rocky 2

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
1. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
2. Hitman
3. Hitman 2

Beat the levels in hitman 3. Loved this poo poo! Is the dlc worth it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

John Romero posted:

1. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
2. Hitman
3. Hitman 2

Beat the levels in hitman 3. Loved this poo poo! Is the dlc worth it

The bank and resort island maps? Yes, I liked those at least as much as the base game maps, maybe even a little more

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The bank and resort island maps? Yes, I liked those at least as much as the base game maps, maybe even a little more

this

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Sonic Unleashed (Wii)

this game was surprisingly good. I enjoyed it a lot. The controls sometimes are a little slippery which can lead to frustrating deaths especially as the werehog, but the respawn system is super generous and it has one of the most sensible lives system I've ever seen (you always start with your max, and you can increase that permanently), so it's nbd. Getting high ranks gives you medals that unlock small side areas that have interesting puzzles, where you can find said life upgrades. the day stages are imo a very solid attempt to make 2D-Sonic-style upper and lower paths in 3D, while having a good take on the modern boost gameplay. finally, I like that the game makes basic movement into a challenge - not because of the controls, but because the drift system for normal sonic and how werehog sonic turns while running make turning corners and hitting things while doing it surprisingly tough but rewarding to pull off.

I'll get the Xbox360 version in the mail tomorrow so that's gonna be a cool comparison!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[9] Pokémon Legends: Arecus (Switch) 2/8/22

Review:
I haven't enjoyed a Pokémon game on this level since I played the originals in 1998 as a kid, and I've played a lot of them. Switching to an openish (think big areas but still loaded into, you can't seamlessly go from area to area or from town to area) design was exactly what this series needed. I beat the game (Saw the true ending, full dex) at 84 hours, and its rare I put that much time into a game nowadays, the last one being DQ11. This game does share a lot of similarities to DQ11 such as when you see the credits the first time, the game is like half over. The music is fantastic, especially the subtle changes in the towns music as the game progresses. The graphics are whatever for switch, not super great, not terrible.
Seeing Pokémon running around in the world, the way combat seamlessly enacts instead of loading up a battle, and catching Pokémon has never been more fun. This game seriously got it perfect on the first try. I didn't put this game down at all once I started, it was that great.
The only thing I can say in the negative is I wish it had more than 1 town, even though it was fun seeing the town gradually get built up and add new shops and buildings as you use Pokémon more and more for work in town. To add to the first point, I wish it had a true open world feel ala BOTW or other games where you can go from area to area without loading or having to look at a map. These are the only two things I would change and I will play the next entry in this series of Pokémon as soon as it releases (I hope they do another one).
Overall, this is probably the most fun switch game I have played, although I need to play SMT5 which I expect to be as good or better than this since I'm a huge fan of that series. I recommend anyone who has even a vague interest in Pokémon play this game, it's the best one they have ever done since the OGs.

9.5/10

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Pocky and Rocky 2

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

5. Pocky & Rocky 2
Pretty good especially because i knew going into it that stage 8 was going to suck so i h ad my expectations set appropriately. Can't take game club credit because i beat it 8 minutes after the deadline. Going to try to start the next one earlier than the last few hours.
https://twitch.tv/videos/1292138007
checked out of curiosity and the whole thing took just under 3 hours from start on the title screen to last hit on the boss. stage 8 took just under an hour on its own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Binary Domain.

Game still holds up. I've beaten it in the past on another platform, but I came back to get the best ending this time around.