Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Ethnic Food

Since Shell has already made the more commonly know German dish of Bratwurst und Sauerkraut, I have decided to go for Germany's secret national dish instead: The Döner

It is popular enough that "Döner for 2 € at every street corner" was part of a politician's election programme in the area I used to live a couple years back. Other points included legalizing weed. Unfortunately he did not get elected and was later arrested for writing "SATAN'S MONKEY" on every opposing election ad.

Anyway, this recipe is not a regular döner. This is the Mexico Döner, sporting not one bot TWO ethnicities! (Do I get double points for that?)

You make your favorite chili recipe, as spicy as you want it.

You take bread.

Cut it open and fill it Döner style.

Add some cheese. Heat it in the oven.

Optional: Put some guacamole on top if it.

It is delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I realized I hadn't actually cooked or submitted anything Swedish. So here's some genuine, authentic loving Swedish meatballs, done the proper way.

But we'll start by preparing a side! Cucumber quick pickle, pressgurka.

Thinly slice cucumber. I recommend using your cheese slicer. Put a generous amount of salt all over them, then squish them between two plates with a weight on top to coax some of the moisture out of them.

Then do a 3:1:1 mix of water, sugar and 12% acetic acid. Soak cucumber in this for half an hour to an hour. Done.

Onto the meatballs! Soak half a deciliter of breadcrumbs in a deciliter of milk for ten minutes. Add an egg, 500g of 50/50 minced beef/pork, a finely chopped onion, salt, white pepper and allspice. The allspice has a Christmassy flavor to it and can be omitted if you want your meatballs to be more standard.

Summon the power of Thor to transmutate your meat mix into the optimal spherical shape.

Cook the meatballs in butter. It takes a while to develop the right dark, crispy surface, so be patient. Meanwhile, we will get started on the second critical side dish, cream sauce.

Make a roux out of butter and flour. Add to this 13% cream and some whole milk, salt and pepper, and the drippings from the pan. Usually this isn't enough for me, so I'll add a tablespoon of beef stock (I use a thick version, not sure how to translate it properly) and, the oddest of ingredients: a splash of soy sauce.

Serve meatballs with the sauce, the cucumber, mashed potatoes and lingonberry jam. Your authentic-rear end Swedish meatballs are ready.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Char Siu Ramen

Not to brag but I am a top tier hard boiled egg maker, but I also love Ramen Eggs which require me to soft boil which is a much tougher process, but they are amazing and the rest is just a delivery system for them.

First check out this sweet pot I got at the Sally Ann for :10bux:

It's huge and pure ceramic. It's not a big find but they retail for about $60 so I'm very happy with it so far.

Cook some stock with some bok Choy and ramen noodles, then add all the stuff you did yesterday. Oh right!

Previously:

Make your marinades for the eggs and pork. The pork you just cut up and put in, the eggs need to be soft boiled and cooled first.

Back to the present

The eggs just need to be sliced and go on top, but holy hell look at how perfect they are

:allears:

The char Siu pork just needs to go in a pan until cooked.

Mix it all together, add some green onion and furiake.

Enjoy

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Opopanax Town-Aligned 5-Ingredient Zucchini Fritters has died Night 3.
Green Wing Scum-Aligned Kedgeree with vegetarian fish flakes has died Night 3
The game has ended in a town victory! Thanks for cooking everyone!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Recipes for all players left incoming!

Opop's 5 Ingredient Zucchini Fritters

You got a preview of these with his never fail chicken!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Green Wing's Kedgeree with vegetarian fish flakes - a British breakfast classic

For the vegan fish, you'll either need to find some shop-bought stuff which can be of variable quality, or make your own. To make your own, you'll need TVP - textured vegetable protein. Not soya, not jackfruit, definitely not seitan. TVP only. Soak the TVP then drain, rinse and squeeze so they're dry.

These won't taste of fish. You'll need to make them taste of fish. For this, use general fishy flavours like dill, dulse, nori, bay leaves (which you'll need to remove of course) salt. Some recipes suggest 'fish sauce', but, like, I'm trying to avoid fish here so if you're going vegan or veggie, don't insert fish into it.

Chop your drained TVP roughly with your flavourings and mix thoroughly into a large bowl. This should give you something which is sort of like fish flakes. Experiment with the flavours, I tend to play it by ear.

For the kedgeree:

Add tablespoons of oil and a finely chopped onion to a pan, and gently fry for 5 minutes until softened, not browned.

Add 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground turmeric and 2 tsp curry powder, season with salt, then continue to fry until the mix starts to go brown and fragrant; about 3 mins. These measurements I'm reluctantly giving you from an online recipe. I play it by ear. You ought to as well. If your rice isn't a bright yellow you aren't adding enough turmeric.

To this fragrant mix add about 300g rinsed long-grain rice. Bring to the boil, then set to simmer for 10 minutes.

Take off the heat and leave to stand, covered, for about 10-15 minutes.

IF USING VEGAN FISH - add your fish flakes into your rice

IF USING REAL FISH - you'll need to do things to it. Here's what an online recipe says:

"Meanwhile, put 300g skin-on undyed smoked haddock fillet and 2 bay leaves in a frying pan, cover with 300ml milk, then poach for 10 mins until the flesh flakes. Remove from the milk, peel away the skin, then flake the flesh into thumb-sized pieces."

The next step is eggs. You'll need 4 large eggs or substitute of choice. Aim for around a 4-minute hardness. Once cooked, dunk in cold water then cut into quarters.

Mix your fish, eggs, and rice gently together (you don't want the eggs and fish to break apart too much!) with a handful each of chopped parsley and coriander. Eat while hot, further seasoned to taste.

Now enjoy your classic, hearty breakfast and think that maybe all the things they told you about food on these islands are a load of old rot.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Maerlyn's Make a Dump Cake

What is a dump cake you may ask? According to Wiki: "A dump cake is an American dessert similar to a cobbler but with a cake-like topping. It is so named because it is prepared by "dumping" ingredients (typically canned fruit or pie filling, followed by a boxed cake mix) into a cake pan without mixing."

You can use any number of fruits/pie filling and cake mixes (Cherry/blueberry/strawberry/apple/peach/pumpkin pie filling with white/yellow/chocolate/spice/lemon cake mix) - if you follow the recipe below that's fine, or just experiment with what sounds good to you.
To provide an actual recipe, I made Caramel Apple Dump Cake:

2 cans apple pie filling (21 ounces each) or homemade
3/4 cup caramel sauce , plus more for serving
1 box spice mix
3/4 cup salted butter , melted
vanilla ice cream , for serving, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 9x13 pan and add both cans pie filling, spreading evenly along the bottom.

2. Top apples with caramel sauce and spread over evenly.

3 Add dry cake mix and spread on top, making sure it's even.

4. Pour melted butter over dry mix, attempting to get all the cake mix moist (you can also cut pats of butter and place them all over the cake instead, I think it may make cake turn out paler? Unknown, most recipes I found used melted butter).

5. Bake for 45-50 mins, let rest for 15. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and more caramel.

After baking I think I would try to find filling without a ton of additional liquid (it made the cake overly soft, it was "done" just still a bit too moist)

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Bifauxnen's Aussie Sausage Sizzle!
Ingredients:
Hotdogs (cheapass ones for extra authenticity, but since I'm just cooking for me and the kiddo I got a pack of fancy sausages instead of buying a bigass pack)
Normal sandwich bread - can be white, wheat, whatever, just NOT hotdog buns this is extremely important
Onion
Sauce of choice - usually BBQ or tomato sauce
Step 1. Slice up the onion

Step 2. Get that onion frying up on your grill or pan alongside the sausages
Step 3. Once everything is fully cooked, put a sausage in a slice of bread and top with the sauce and a bunch of onion
(these sausages got a bit obnoxious since they were too wide, thin sausages work much better)
Step 4. (optional) go cast your vote if you are at an election booth sausage sizzle, or go do your shopping at Bunnings

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Cpig's Whatever we got left supreme.

So Cookfia hits me at a time where we are coasting through the remaining canned and frozen stuff before we buy groceries again.
So I looked through the cabinets to figure stuff out.

Gnocchi, okay I can work with this.

Can of Mushrooms? Okay.

"Truffle Carpaccio" and basil pesto I think things are coming together now.

Costco pre cooked sous vide pork belly slices? Yes.

So with an idea in mind i got the water to boiling and started the gnocchi and got my non stick wok and started and tossed the following in it -

A dallop of that truffle slices in olive oil

The canned mushrooms dried and squeezed and patted off with paper towels

Seasoned it with salt, pepper, msg, garlic, onion and used some basil flavored olive oil .

Fry the mushrooms up for about 4 or 5 minutes on high

Then have your sous vide pork belly ready to toss in and put it in there with a bit of sesame oil, just a few drops for flavor because it complements everything well and I cut up a couple scallions and tossed the white oniony bit at the bottom into the pan here too and saving the green tops for later.

Fry that up until as much of the non fat liquid until it looks sorta like this, it should take around 5 to 8 minutes on med high to high heat

Drain a bit of the fat out and set the pan aside away from heat while you drain your gnocchi and get it ready and reserve a cup of the gnocchi cooking water
Then put the pan back on the heat and toss white wine (about a half cup maybe?) into the pan and let it reduce, then add the reserved cooking liquid and let it reduce. When it has sort of a glazy texture toss in the gnocchi and sort of stir fry it for a little bit and remove from heat after it sets for a couple minutes plop in a couple heaping tablespoons of pesto and mix it all up.. Serve it into bowls as soon as possible.

Here it is served topped with green onions and grated cured egg yolk/

There ya go. Tasty and just used packaged ingredients we had around the house.

The point of this, if you haven't gathered, is to just try to make something fancy with whatever you have laying around. Doesn't have to be a pasta thing or even include any ingredients in my dish. But it's got to be the spirit of the thing. "use whatever you have laying around to make something fancy.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Cloacamazing!'s Tarte Provencale
Dough
200 g flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
100 g low fat quark
100 g butter
Mix together into a solid dough, store in the fridge for about half an hour for optimum consistency
Put the dough into a quiche baking tray, bake for ten minutes at 200 °C (392 °F) at medium height.
Filling
fry 150 g of bacon cubes
mix 2 eggs and 250 mL cream together
add a generous helping of pureed tomatoes to the eggs, mix until the color is even
season with salt, pepper, garlic and herbes de provence to taste
pour over dough, bake for twenty minutes until the egg mix is solid

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank's Turkish Red Lentil Soup

Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- One large yellow onion
- One medium-sized potato, peeled
- One carrot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 200 grams dried red lentils
- 1 liter vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried mint
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper

Dice the onion, potato and carrot roughly, peel and smash the garlic up a bit. Sweat the onion in a pot with olive oil, add garlic, potato and carrot. Cook for a bit, add tomato paste and stir. Add lentils, stock and all spices except the mint. Cook on low heat until soft and lentils are hydrated, maybe 20-30 minutes. Remove bay leaf, then puree with immersion blender until smooth. Add water until the consistency you want is achieved - it should be slightly thick, but not gloopy. Add mint, season with salt and pepper, serve with bread, more dried mint, and lemon juice or a dollop of yoghurt.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Illusionis's Makaroonilaatikko or Macaroni Casserole with mushrooms
5 dl macaroni
400 g minced meat
1 big onion
1-2 carrots or whatever other veggies you feel like adding
3 eggs
5-7 dl milk or stock
mushrooms amount will depend on if you're using fresh, frozen or dried and what species
Cheese
Boil your macaroni, leave it somewhat under. Mix your eggs and milk, if you're using dried mushrooms mix them in to rehydrate.
Chop onion and carrots, brown minced meat and give the veggies a bit of heat too. If you're using fresh or frozen mushrooms fry them up at this point too.
Put your macaroni, meat and veggies into a casserole dish, mix up and pour your eggmilk on top, you should aim for the liquid to almost come up to the surface, but not quite.
Grate cheese on top, bake in 200 C for 45-60 minutes, cover with foil partway (20-30 minutes) through and you can drop the heat a bit at this point too. If you don't want to use mushrooms using different spices to tune the flavor works quite well, for example our version of curry powder is a pretty popular one to go for.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhymes with Clue's CACIO E PEPE GNOCCHI
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

For the gnocchi:
3 medium sized yellow potatoes (4-5 inches long) (Note: you can also use sweet potatoes)
1 egg
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan (don’t touch that green can!)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3-4 cups flour

For the sauce:
2 tbsp butter
Reserved pasta water (see below)
1/4 cup grated parmesan (yes, more parm!)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Garnish:
Grated parmesan (still more parm!)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Instructions

Peel potatoes. Boil in salted water until fork tender, about 20 minutes.* Drain and let cold water run over the potatoes.
Add potatoes to a large bowl and mash, then add egg, parmesan, black pepper, and salt and mix together.
Add flour 1/2 cup at a time, until it becomes difficult to mix. Flour a clean surface and transfer dough to surface. Continue to knead in flour 1/2 cup at a time, until dough is no longer sticky.
Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Working one piece at a time (with a damp towel over the others), roll each dough ball into a rope about 1 inch thick. Use a bench scraper or knife to cut the snake into 1/2 inch pieces. Toss the pieces with a little flour to prevent them from sticking to one another. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
Press against the back of a fork for gnocchi ridges.
Bring a stockpot half full of salted water to a boil. Salt the water 1 tbsp of salt at a time - it should taste salty.
Boil the gnocchi for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they float. Reserve 1 cup of water and drain.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add 1/3 cup reserved water. Stir occasionally, until mixture comes together. Add the parmesan and pepper.
Add the gnocchi and toss to coat. Add more pasta water to loosen the sauce as needed.
Spoon into bowls and garnish with more parmesan cheese and black pepper.**
*Probably 15 minutes at sea level
**Or use any other way you would use pasta

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hey Opop, nice shot

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Good job Opop.

This was fun and I cooked some new things but I'm glad it's over so I can go back to not cooking. I wish I had been able to do more with what I had on hand for spices but I enjoyed basically reliving towny mason chat with HCT and with Clo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I didn't get to post my Tabbouleh so here you go

Bulgar with cucumber and tomatoes, then I whipped up a little hummus vinegrette (normally you'd do a tahini one but I didn't want a whole jar of tahini for the 2 tbsp I'd need), then some fried :love:halloumi:love: on top

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Thanks for running this Grandi!

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Also yes thank you Grandi for running as always 😊

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

What, over already? There's still so many recipes to try, there should be some kind of optional postgame superboss lol

Thanks for running as always, Grandi!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bifauxnen posted:

What, over already? There's still so many recipes to try, there should be some kind of optional postgame superboss lol

Thanks for running as always, Grandi!

Sorry, I’m just that good

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Was fun to watch, am sad it is over, wanted more recipes/pics/food chat. I also bought everything I need to make corn pudding all proper southern style and all for everybody, but I guess that's gonna have to wait until Cookfia 8.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Hooray!

Congrats, Opop!

But I'm sad I didn't get to use this:

quote:

You have combined Remote Explosives and Befuddle into a ONE-SHOT DOOMED Psychic Killer.
You may, as a private action in your channel, provide me with any text to post in thread, unedited, as a mod message. The content of the text is up to you. Additionally, in this text you may have me say <player namer> has been <killed flavor text> and that part of the message will be true, killing the player.

If the player you kill has alignment that is different than you do, you will immediately die as well. This action can be used any time, day or night. This does not count as an action. This action can not be seen.

I was going to modkill GW with it next day...

I did get to use this one:

quote:

You have combined Celery Salt with your Bubble Universe into a ONE-SHOT HEAVY Bubble Universe on a Diet
At night, you may target half of the players in game. You may round up or down as you choose if there are an odd number of living players.
Players who are in The Bubble Universe may only target and be targeted by those in The Bubble Universe and players who are not in The Bubble Universe may only target and be targeted by those not in The Bubble Universe.
Using this ability is difficult, you are unable to use day actions the following day and night.

Fortunately Opop was on the danger side of the bubble.

Now to cook all the other player recipes!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I completely guessed on GW, too. Originally it was a day vig that killed me if it hit scum but I decided to mix it and it became a night one, glad I didn't blow it on voodoo during the day

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Modkill was created because Grandi didn't let me power up a homunculus. I had mixed Parsley (homunculus) and Ginger (Empower) plus Celery Salt for the hands-free, but only got Befuddle, which was kind of useless for town. So I combined Cardamom (doomvig) with Tumeric (Remote) and got a bomb. Then I combined the two.

Poor Grandi had to work overtime with my spice combos this game. Bubbleverse was me trying to recreate the hottub from Loomouth.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Congratulations on your awesome shooting skills, Opop! You receive an honorary Win and the title of One Spicy Meatball!
Additionally, please accept this gift of one imaginary homunculus named Frenk. He does not exist and does nothing, but you may feed him and play with him.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh yeah that reminds, what the gently caress? What was up with those things?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Oh, yeah. That was me! I smashed parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme and paprika together and Grandicap gave me this:

quote:

You have blended Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, with a sprinkle of Paprika for a ONE-SHOT Bridge over Troubled Waters

At night, you may target any 3 players, you will see all players who target any of your targets. You will learn all actions used on and by your targets that night (The order of this list will be randomized). If any of these players are killed in the night, you gain their remaining spices. Each of your living targets then gains a small pet, this has no actual in game effect, but you can tell me which <##commands> it can perform, and I will relay this to the player. You can give all 3 the same pet, or different pets.

So I submitted this:

quote:

Your kitchen has received a special delivery: **Fronk, a hot sauce homunculus**! It appears to be a small energetic humanoid made entirely of bright red hot sauce. There's a note attached that reads: "Please take good care of Fronk. He doesn't speak, but if you treat him well he may be useful to you. If you don't... bad things could happen."

Your kitchen has received a special delivery: **Frink, a cream cheese homunculus**! It appears to be a small thoughtful-looking humanoid made entirely of goopy cream cheese. There's a note attached that reads: "Please take good care of Frink. He doesn't speak, but if you treat him well he may be useful to you. If you don't... bad things could happen."

Your kitchen has received a special delivery: **Frunk, a toffee homunculus**! It appears to be a small grinning humanoid made entirely of slightly runny caramel. There's a note attached that reads: "Please take good care of Frunk. He doesn't speak, but if you treat him well he may be useful to you. If you don't... bad things could happen."

They all have the same actions:

As a day action in the thread, you can **##feed homunculus a spice**. This can be any spice of your choice from the master list and will not expend any spices in your inventory. You may feed your homunculus several times per day but must wait at least 4 hours between each feeding. You can also **##play with homunculus**, **##soothe homunculus** and **##lecture homunculus** with the same 4-hour restriction. Finally, once per game day you may attempt to **##evolve homunculus**. Depending on the spices you fed him and his mood, he may take on a new, more powerful form!

I even left a clue in the substances the homunculi are made of!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lol ok I figured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
Thanks for the game everybody and thanks for running this Grandi, this was a very fun chill cooking game. I was planning on making makaroonilaatikko today anyway so here's some pictures to go along with the recipe.

Starting off by mixing the eggs and milk and adding dried mushrooms in to soak. The English name I've heard for these before in horn of glory, but these are the same mushrooms that Shell called death trumpets some days ago.

Frying off minced meat, onions and carrots, macaroni's already been cooked.

Those then get combined in the casserole, eggmilk poured on top and given a good mixing. Then adding some cheese on top and in to the oven.

After about 25 minutes there's a pretty good melt and some color so I'm covering it with foil and dropping the temp a bit.

Here's the final product after an hour in the oven. Delicious and pretty easy to make, if you're using different mushrooms ones with a bit of a stronger taste works better.

And bonus potato, chicken avocado cake thingy from yesterday evening that I was too tired to post then.