Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Shanghai Goon going strong.
Is good name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Stormgale posted:

Eh I'm sure there are other people who don't post, what server you wanna roll?

Wild Spring? I dunno....Might as well take 'Goon Quid' as the guild name too.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Krakatoah posted:

Wild Spring? I dunno....Might as well take 'Goon Quid' as the guild name too.

I'm really easygoing, we can figure it out near release or just join some other guild

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Which classes have a dodge roll which rolls in whatever direction you choose?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Xavier434 posted:

None of them, though I think every class has a backwards roll tied to double-tap S, and many have some kind of "dash around" tied to Q, E, or both. Most classes also have certain moves that give invincibility frames, or can be specced to give them.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Xavier434 posted:

The Assassin's E move dashes forward in the direction you are looking at. I think that is the only class that can do that. Everyone else can twirl behind the enemy or gap close but they need a target.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dangit I've gone from being ambivalent about MMOs to wanting this goddamn game, like, yesterday. I hate it when that happens :(

Just noticed from the OP that there are guides for playing on other nations' servers. Are those still accurate? If so any guess which might be the least laggy for NA? Might as well play for a little while so I stop jonesin' :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 1, 2016

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

cathead posted:

None of them, though I think every class has a backwards roll tied to double-tap S, and many have some kind of "dash around" tied to Q, E, or both. Most classes also have certain moves that give invincibility frames, or can be specced to give them.

That is less control than I desire but it is far from a deal breaker.

The game looks like a lot of fun. As someone who enjoyed Slayer and Warrior the most in TERA, which class do you all recommend that I start with?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Destroyer probably. Helps that the class is piss-easy and you can make Gon a human size if you like.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Inzombiac posted:

you can make Gon a human size if you like.
Why would you ever do this though?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Normally I wouldn't but a GIANT Gon means not seeing your smaller targets and issues with reading tells.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Velveteen posted:

The Assassin's E move dashes forward in the direction you are looking at. I think that is the only class that can do that. Everyone else can twirl behind the enemy or gap close but they need a target.

I think FMs also get two dodges that move them in a direction when pressed even if no attack comes out.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Xavier434 posted:

That is less control than I desire but it is far from a deal breaker.

The game looks like a lot of fun. As someone who enjoyed Slayer and Warrior the most in TERA, which class do you all recommend that I start with?

Yeah it's different from the other games that have a consistent dodge mechanic no matter the class. Once you familiarize yourself with the class skills though I think you'll find they all have plenty of their own ways to evade or mitigate damage or position themselves. It's kind of necessary that they have the tools to do so since there are no pure healer classes in the game.

If you like fast evasive sword users then you'll probably want to look at Blade Master or Blade Dancer, the latter being more of a PvP class (see below).

Inzombiac posted:

Destroyer probably. Helps that the class is piss-easy and you can make Gon a human size if you like.

I think I mentioned this in the new OP but nearly all of Destroyer's damage is based around animation canceling their two main attacks into each other repeatedly. It requires some timing and can be ping sensitive but man it's pretty satisfying when it does work. So take that into account when deciding if you want to play the class.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I thought about it a bit after the last post, and decided I'm gonna drop some opinions here on the current/future states of the classes. Most of this is gleaned from research of the other regions vs what we have and opinions from veteran players. As with any game, you should above all play what you find most fun, but if you're looking for some analysis of class strengths/weaknesses and how they might change over time maybe this will help. I'm not sure if this kind of stuff should go in the OP since it's pretty subjective. Anyway, I'm not really trying to go THIS CLASS IS poo poo/OP just being real about where some classes are at right now in the different parts of the game, due to our "unique" situation content-wise, and what to expect as we catch up to Korea.

The overall gist is we're currently (as of Beta anyway) on lv45 cap on a patch meant for lv50s. This means there's some weird scaling with damage on some skills vs health totals which skews the balance in some aspects in an unintended way. Once we get caught up, hp totals in general are going to be higher compared to the damage people do, making burst not so ridiculously effective in PvP as it is right now, though it will still be solid. We're also lacking the additional skill points from hongmoon levels (and I've heard we may not get those levels right away at launch) and the ability to unlock the Hongmoon skills at the end of some skill trees that generally have some pretty useful effects.

Blade Master: Outside of their tanking role, they're somewhat lacking right now, especially in PvP. They are one of the classes that are "skill point starved" at our current level cap, so once we get lv50 cap and Hongmoon levels and skills, they will get significantly better as they will have more damage and tanking tools and the skill points to invest in them. Still not a bad class right now by any stretch, you're just going to feel behind some other classes until we get the stuff I mentioned. The good news is once they get all that stuff they are VERY good, especially in PvP.

Kungfu Master: Again, a fine tank, but right now their DPS is somewhat lacking and they have some especially bad matchups in PvP. Also has the skill point starvation issue. They're also waiting for some changes in the September balance patch I believe (which we may get for headstart or release? no confirmation on this, alas), plus they get some pretty useful hongmoon skills. Should improve significantly by 50 but still remains the hardest class in the game to play well.

Force Master: Very capable DPS class in PvE overall at any point, but in PvP especially they've got the skill point starvation issue that BM has. They also really need the hongmoon skill that adds a melee block to their Impact skill (1 key) and enables them to handle melee classes in PvP much better. Also one of the more complex PvP classes to play but holy poo poo a good FM is a BEAST, just watch Jaesung play sometime.

Assassin: In a good spot right now in both PvE and PvP and will only get better, though not as significantly in PvP as the health changes will offset some of the power of their burst. They're just really good at what they do though (single target dps) and more skillpoints and hongmoon skills will give them more tools to stay alive and do that. With a hongmoon skill they also can trait their lotus flower thingy into a RIDICULOUS party damage buff, though it has a sizable cooldown (1m30s).

Destroyer: Is always going to be useful in PvE because their grab is so good. Again, the ani-canceling thing is core to the class's DPS and that's not something that will change, if you can't do it well you're going to fall behind. Like Sins they're in a pretty good spot overall and won't change that much. Currently they are very good in PvP because of the health scaling (if you get grabbed without an escape up you are probably dead), that's going to fall off a bit as we catch up not only because of the health increase but because some other classes get more significant changes than Des does.

Summoner: Another class that will always be good for parties because they have so much support potential. They also have very capable DPS because Sunflower is really powerful. It WILL be getting nerfed to cost 3 chi instead of 2 whenever we get the September balance patch, but levels and HM skills will help offset that and they will remain a very capable damage class. PvP-wise they will always be very good at lower ranks against people who don't know how to play against them, but as you climb the ranks you will find a lot more people who know how to approach fighting you and you will have to work a lot harder for your wins.

Blade Dancer: A very bursty class compared to their BM bretheren, but their sustained damage is actually kind of lovely. This, combined with the fact that their grab is outright inferior to Destroyers (weird hitbox, higher cooldown, reduces defense instead of increasing crit like Des' does which is less effective at endgame gear levels) means they fall behind compared to other classes in PvE dungeons. How Western players treat the "meta" will determine if this will actually be much of a problem, but just going by numbers if given the choice between a Destroyer and a BD you're going to want to go with the Des in a dungeon. That being said, their burst and excellent air combos (another thing that's kind of useless in PvE) makes them absolute beasts in PvP. That kind of stuff combined with current hp/damage scaling is why you see so many people going "gently caress BLADE DANCERS" in PvP chat. :v: Anyway, balance patches haven't done anything too amazing for them recently but things might change in the future.

Anyway, none of these weaknesses are to the level of "WOW I LITERALLY CANNOT FINISH THIS CONTENT". It's just different levels of efficiency and hopefully Western players won't get too hung up on "meta" bullshit but we'll see. Things will continue to change, as they have significantly in the past. For example, Summoner only just recently got Sunflower in the June 2015 patch, so class designs can change significantly at the drop of a hat.

Oh, and the other caveat is that the PvP "weaknesses" are assuming that the person actually knows how to play their class. BnS's PvP is fairly complex and there's a surprising amount of mistakes even decent/good players make and, as in any competitive game, that can offset inherent weaknesses simply through the skill difference between the players.

edit: ps some of this is kind of vague or may be wrong since I know more about some classes than I do others, so feel free to weigh in if you have a different opinion!

cathead fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 1, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Thanks for the update, cathead. I've been debating if I want to main Assassin or Blade Dancer and I think BD wins for sheer PVP fuckery. I'll keep Assassin second just so I'm not too frustrated when it comes to dungeons.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Thanks for the writeup, it confirms I want to do assassin/KFM just in which order I level them.

Oh for the big plague mite in the first real town with the flame-throwers are you supposed to use the flame-thrower on the big one or fight it normally? It seems to take ages either way

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

cathead posted:

Class Writeup.

Pretty solid all around, but I'd like to toss in my two cents after doing a few hundred arena matches on Assassin.

KungFu Masters are actually pretty strong in PvP right now. Not on Destroyer or Blade Dancer levels, but they can and will stunlock you from full to dead like a Destroyer can if you gently caress up your escapes - just doesn't happen quite as quickly. Similarly I'd say Blade Masters are a little stronger in PvP right now than you're giving them credit for and likewise Assassin are a bit weaker. Blade Masters can still unleash some nasty burst at this point and Assassin are missing a couple vital survival skills (like a second dodge :v: ).

Overall, I'd rate the current balance of PvP strength as follows: Blade Dancer/Destroyer > Summoner > KungFu Master/Blade Master > Assassin > Force Master. As with cathead's post this is pretty opinionated as well, though after rushing a Blade Dancer to 45 and starting to PvP on it I went from a slightly better than even win ratio on Assassin to close to 80% wins, aha.

The PvE analysis is pretty spot on and matches up to my experience so far.

Stormgale posted:

Oh for the big plague mite in the first real town with the flame-throwers are you supposed to use the flame-thrower on the big one or fight it normally? It seems to take ages either way

I think the flamethrower is to just help with the adds its spawns if you happen to be a class without a strong AoE at that level. It takes a while since I believe the dungeon is tuned for two players. Comes as a bit of a surprise since everything up to that point was made with the intention to be solo'd. The scorpion in the next mini-dungeon has a similarly large health pool. I'm fairly certain the UI lets you know when a dungeon is tuned for more than one person, but almost all of it can be done solo anyway if you know what you're doing.

Everyman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 1, 2016

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Everyman posted:

Pretty solid all around, but I'd like to toss in my two cents after doing a few hundred arena matches on Assassin.

KungFu Masters are actually pretty strong in PvP right now. Not on Destroyer or Blade Dancer levels, but they can and will stunlock you from full to dead like a Destroyer can if you gently caress up your escapes - just doesn't happen quite as quickly. Similarly I'd say Blade Masters are a little stronger in PvP right now than you're giving them credit for and likewise Assassin are a bit weaker. Blade Masters can still unleash some nasty burst at this point and Assassin are missing a couple vital survival skills (like a second dodge :v: ).

Overall, I'd rate the current balance of PvP strength as follows: Blade Dancer/Destroyer > Summoner > KungFu Master/Blade Master > Assassin > Force Master. As with cathead's post this is pretty opinionated as well, though after rushing a Blade Dancer to 45 and starting to PvP on it I went from a slightly better than even win ratio on Assassin to close to 80% wins, aha.

The PvE analysis is pretty spot on and matches up to my experience so far.

Yeah the PvP stuff is like... hard to get a true idea of how all the classes stand because everyone's opinion is colored by the class they play so trying to gather info from forums and stuff can be difficult. I think the main thing I was trying to get across was that KFM , BM and FM are not like... quite where they should be on our current patch, and once things catch up they get significantly more powerful. Not that they CAN'T perform now, especially against people who don't know the matchup, it's just that BD, Destroyer, and Summoner have such an advantage on this patch and the other classes are kind of lacking some tools they need.

It's weird, my impression of Assassins overall was that they were better off than KFM and BM but that was mostly from fighting vs them and also not seeing as may complaints from Sin players about stuff as KFM/BMs. :v: So yeah, I'll definitely concede that to you with your experience.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Thanks for the writeup, it confirms I want to do assassin/KFM just in which order I level them.

My experience on my Blade Dancer and Summoner with this was the Flamethrower is slow as balls, just rush in and gently caress everything up. In fact, that ended up being my operating procedure for everything up til Blackram Hollows-- quest? gently caress everything up. Instance? gently caress everything up.

I can't speak to other classes, as I just couldn't get into the others I tried. KFM looks cool but I had some issues, and Sin was kinda fun but I missed my big fuckin' Sunders. Blade Dancer is fun as hell, Summoner is an actually-fun support class.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

cathead posted:

Yeah the PvP stuff is like... hard to get a true idea of how all the classes stand because everyone's opinion is colored by the class they play so trying to gather info from forums and stuff can be difficult. I think the main thing I was trying to get across was that KFM , BM and FM are not like... quite where they should be on our current patch, and once things catch up they get significantly more powerful. Not that they CAN'T perform now, especially against people who don't know the matchup, it's just that BD, Destroyer, and Summoner have such an advantage on this patch and the other classes are kind of lacking some tools they need.

It's weird, my impression of Assassins overall was that they were better off than KFM and BM but that was mostly from fighting vs them and also not seeing as may complaints from Sin players about stuff as KFM/BMs. :v: So yeah, I'll definitely concede that to you with your experience.

Yeah like you said, its really hard to pinpoint exactly where the classes are right now as far as PvP goes. A lot of it is pretty opinionated. Its funny how I ranked BM/KFM higher than Sin when I tended to win the vast majority of my matches against them. :v: I eventually learned how to take down Summoners, and BD were very hit or miss and just about baiting them into making a mistake. Destroyers matches were the ultimate game of cat and mouse where all my wins came from doing chip damage and running out the clock. Other Assassins were really fun to face in mirror matches since it really taught me how to handle the class, and lead to some hilarious counters. Force Masters were, well, free wins essentially.

All in all, I'd say the majority of my losses as a Sin were from BD/Des/Sum while I generally won my matches against other classes, though the mirror match could be a wild card. It kept my W/L ratio slightly above even, and the reason why I rank Assassin as low as I did is because after learning the ins and outs of the classes, I felt I could do more playing something else. A lot of cases of "Oh, the extra burst from playing X would have killed him right there" - that kind of thing. Of course as soon as I swapped to BD I had something disgusting like 70 wins to 15 losses, laughed about how dumb it was compared to being around 180 W / 170 L on Sin. Granted part of that was actually having a good understanding of how the other classes worked after so much time on Sin.

Props to any highly rated Assassins out there. I know there's more than a couple and they sure as hell earned those points.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Good posts. Sounds like I need to decide between blade master and destroyer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do force masters have much in the way of big gently caress-off one shot abilities/cooldowns or are they combo based too? In MMOs when I play a magic-oriented class it's go big or go home for me (Fire mage in WoW, BLM in FFXIV, and so on).

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Oh I realized I forgot to clarify earlier, we're currently two class balance patches behind Korea. We're on the June 2015 patch currently, and the two after that were in September and December. I seem to remember hearing NCWest say they wanted to try to be on a slightly later patch for release, so it's possible we'll get the September patch then. I doubt we'll get December yet but who knows.

Here's the patch notes if you're curious:
http://www.freedomplays.com/blade-soul-kr-sept-skill-changes/
http://www.freedomplays.com/blade-soul-kr-dec-update-force-master-summoner-warlock/

Freedomplays is a good site to keep an eye on for news of what's happening with BnS in Korea.

It also should be noted that BNSTree uses the latest Korea patch so it's going to be a bit different from what we have. The admin did mention he was looking into a way to be able to toggle between NA and KR versions.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Is there a way to change hairstyles or color after character creation?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Kuai posted:

Is there a way to change hairstyles or color after character creation?

:10bux:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Does your actual character size affect hit boxes at all? Or is it the same per race (or across the board?) no matter how you stretch and contort your character?

I'd hate for my slenderman inspired monstrosities to give me a handicap in PVP.:gibs:

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Anoia posted:

Does your actual character size affect hit boxes at all? Or is it the same per race (or across the board?) no matter how you stretch and contort your character?

I'd hate for my slenderman inspired monstrosities to give me a handicap in PVP.:gibs:

afaict no, because otherwise desos would never be able to hit or grab BDs.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I like to have fun* in open world PVP. What's the best class for this?

*tossing or knocking people off cliffs, making them lose control of their character or controls, stuff like that.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

KildarX posted:

I like to have fun* in open world PVP. What's the best class for this?

*tossing or knocking people off cliffs, making them lose control of their character or controls, stuff like that.

literally Destroyer. Your main combo is Axe>knock down>grab>fling

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Something kinda specific and could be useful is how the double CC works for bosses and how you can do it as a specific class, like the blade dancer can with a proc double knockdown someone

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 2, 2016

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Stormgale posted:

Something kinda specific and could be useful is how the double CC works for bosses and how you can do it as a specific class, like the blade dancer can with a proc double knockdown someone

Some classes have trouble knocking down a boss by themselves, but for something like summoner its incredibly easy to lock down a boss. With the cat hammer skilled with daze and the thorn vine thing also skilled with daze you can easily knock down a boss if you use it in quick succession (Cat hammer first since theres a delay on cat skills.) Then you can follow up with a cat grab and hold it down for 4 more seconds, then do the big red root attack to lock it down for the cool down of your entire combo to come back (the root prevents turning so you can circle behind the boss.) You don't even need to skill taunt for your cat, I managed to solo every dungeon and boss as a summoner up to 45 in the beta. Also you may have noticed I am really bad with names so someone else will have to figure out the skill names.

There are three types of disables and are separated by colours. All CC in the game falls into one of the three types. Green for Daze, Blue for Stun, and Yellow for Knockdown. As long as two matching colours are hit in quick sucession, bosses will get knocked down. So remember what type of disable your class has and when you hear the CC sound to use a matching CC to knock down a boss. I don't remember the specific colours to CC type but I think that is correct. Beta has been over for awhile.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Velveteen posted:

Some classes have trouble knocking down a boss by themselves, but for something like summoner its incredibly easy to lock down a boss. With the cat hammer skilled with daze and the thorn vine thing also skilled with daze you can easily knock down a boss if you use it in quick succession (Cat hammer first since theres a delay on cat skills.) Then you can follow up with a cat grab and hold it down for 4 more seconds, then do the big red root attack to lock it down for the cool down of your entire combo to come back (the root prevents turning so you can circle behind the boss.) You don't even need to skill taunt for your cat, I managed to solo every dungeon and boss as a summoner up to 45 in the beta. Also you may have noticed I am really bad with names so someone else will have to figure out the skill names.

There are three types of disables and are separated by colours. All CC in the game falls into one of the three types. Green for Daze, Blue for Stun, and Yellow for Knockdown. As long as two matching colours are hit in quick sucession, bosses will get knocked down. So remember what type of disable your class has and when you hear the CC sound to use a matching CC to knock down a boss. I don't remember the specific colours to CC type but I think that is correct. Beta has been over for awhile.

there's also red, isn't there? i think KD is red not yellow.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Red = Daze
Green = Knockdown
Blue = Stun

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

quote:

Destroyer: Is always going to be useful in PvE because their grab is so good. Again, the ani-canceling thing is core to the class's DPS and that's not something that will change, if you can't do it well you're going to fall behind. Like Sins they're in a pretty good spot overall and won't change that much. Currently they are very good in PvP because of the health scaling (if you get grabbed without an escape up you are probably dead), that's going to fall off a bit as we catch up not only because of the health increase but because some other classes get more significant changes than Des does.

Kinda yes and kinda no. For PvP you definitely need to get good on the animation cancelling to progress past a certain point; I got to about 1600 but my animation cancelling on the basic combo (outside of the Rage) was finicky, although it was better in Rage which meant I could get by.

For PvE though, the Eradicate upgrade for Cleave is super solid. The version of Cleave that you can animation cancel is single-target only whereas Eradicate is a line attack that does ridiculous amounts of damage to groups. Without it you have to spin for groups, which really isn't that much damage. For the content I did (soloing everything up through the level 36 dungeon) it's the far far far superior option considering how often you're fighting multiple mobs, although I didn't do the dungeon-cap dungeons in beta since I wanted to leave some stuff for release.

quote:

Overall, I'd rate the current balance of PvP strength as follows: Blade Dancer/Destroyer > Summoner > KungFu Master/Blade Master > Assassin > Force Master

About where I stalled out I was mostly fighting Assassins, Blade Dancers, Destroyers and a scattering of the other classes. I was hitting about 60%-70% against most classes, but Assassins who would play the slow and steady game would destroy me and there was nothing I could do about it. I'd put Assassin up there with Blade Dancer and Destroyer, and lump Summoner/KFM/Blade Master into the middle group.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Assassin goons, Yuketsu just finished his pvp guide. It's pretty in-depth, hopefully you can get some use out of it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

cathead posted:

Assassin goons, Yuketsu just finished his pvp guide. It's pretty in-depth, hopefully you can get some use out of it.

Oh, that's very interesting to me.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
As someone who is admittedly only very average at Sin PvP this guide is very useful and excellent to me.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

cathead posted:

yeaaaa, thanks

Tear Reaping at optimum

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

When do you guys want the new thread posted? I feel like sometime before name reservation next week would be good in case anyone new wants to get a founders pack before then.

I still need a clever thread title too because I can't really think of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Something about greased lightning since this is a Wu Xia style MMO with oiled up people.

• Locked thread