Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Margaret
1 gum

This... this is a summoning ritual, isn't it? But what are we... Ugh.

"Hey, kid." She asks Faust, loud and firm, and shows him the open book. "This seems to be right up your alley. What are we looking at here?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust
6 points

The energies have stabilized for now, but they need to hurry. Finding out what that ritual is supposed to do seems like a pretty good idea.

look at ritual book (occultism): 1d10 6

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Raymond

Raymond goes for broke, lunging for the rifle. All he can think is a brief hope the guy isn’t too fast.

Making a kickass roll to get my own gun

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
To Faust

You take the book from Margaret's hands. It seems to be old enough that the cyphering on it is unknown to you, and you vaguely wonder what she was doing with it right now.

Perception (internal): 1d4 4

You know enough to read the diagrams - it is definitely an invocation, calling for... something. You furrow your brow at this point. It uses a very old and complex positioning scheme, though you are sure yours should do as well, and a balance system based on magical item placement. You identify a knife and a dagger, at least three types of bone, and an intrincate pattern of what look like silver ☾ medals. You are pretty sure all of those should be around somewhere, if someone attempted this in the past. It calls for an animal blood sacrifice, marking the precise points the knife should be plundered in - of course, they all do in any form of another - and it also seems to indicate exact positioning for the invocators, at least three. The head one is designed by an amulet-looking star-shaped mark over its head. You also do notice the multiple layers of protection the invocators are depicted as having.

Definitively doable, but what is it doing...? That's definitely harder to tell. Book seems to call it ว̴̷̺̻̙͊̽̒อ̸̷͇͔̿̓͜͝ซ̴̷̢͇̦͒̀̕ก̴̷̝̺̙̈́̐͝า̸̷͖̙̈́̽͘น̸̷̦͉̝͐̚͝อ̸̷͚̫̦̔͑ล̸̷̝͙̟̓̽̒ , not that you have any clue how that's supposed to sound. Calling for blood, you think, tends to be a demonic force thing - demons love blood pacts, for some reason. Ancent pagan gods do too, but you kind of doubt there is any of those resting under Saint Tonquois. And given the Margaret deal, it's clear you are dealing with an entity able to grant wishes and manipulate time and space to its will, which is definitely not a minor feat. The best you can hope for is that it's some kind of neutral spirit, or that's lost some of its power in the meantime - fallen entities are always easier to deal with than full-blown demons. The circle is laid out like a trap, and all the protections do indicate it's well designed to keep a summon caged inside, and everyone else outside.

You sideeye the lines on the ground, hoping the patched circle holds up.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 18, 2023

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rafael

Rafael is shocked, but somehow not surprised to see Raymond reach for the rifle. He looks over at the guard who is starting to turn his attention to Raymond and without really thinking Rafael tries to squeeze off a shot at the guard while muttering "drat it Raymond!"

drat it Raymond!: 1d10 1 (lol the curse continues)

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
To Rafael (and Raymond)

You react by pure, sheer instinct - you aim at the grunt and shoot. You aren't even sure what you are trying to do - kill him?

Would you kill a man, Rafael?

Time seems to stop to a standstill before your eyes. You feel cold. Not the kind of cold you get when Agnes takes the AC controller hostage, though - this cold comes from much deeper inside you. You have never felt it, and somehow, you know what it is.

What kind of man are you, Rafael?

From the strange headspace you have fallen into, you hear the detonation filling your entire world, oversaturating your senses. There is a look in the face of the grunt as he turns his attention back from Raymond onto you, just a fraction of a second too late.

The bullet ricochets onto the wall behind him and bounces harmlessly into the ground.

The cold invades all your senses as you crumble down onto a half sitting, half lying position on the ground, your shirt soaked in blood. Somehow, from somewhere inside you, you feel a strange calm arising. You drop the weapon nearby and try to press the wound shut with your hand.

So this is how dying feels like.

There is a second gunshot. It does not matter any longer, not to you.

Shooting (attack, base 4): 1d10 2

From inside your haze, you see Raymond get up from the crumpled body of the fallen man, a completely wild smile on his face, the rifle tight on his grip, held like he was born using heavy weaponry.

Gunning for gun! (combat): 1d10 9

Holding yourself up against the corner of the room, you see Raymond advance triumphantly towards the pistol grunt, rifle in hand, the faint light in the room making him look like a strange ancient god. The small part of your brain that likes to notice stupid stuff points you to the small, but growing, puddle on the ground, barely noticeable under the camping light, but definitely there. You are no longer the only bladder failure in this room.

You feel a gray haze filling your sight, invading your senses, but you refuse to sink onto it. You press hard onto the wound with the palm of your hand, feeling your fingers slide inside your shoulder. It's the strangest sensation ever. It hurts, it hurts more than you could describe right now, or probably ever, but it keeps you awake. For how long, you cannot tell, but as you feel your own blood coagulate around your fingers, an electric sensation invades you and you let out the wildest smile you have ever put on in your life.

Hold onto consciousness?: 1d4 1

Rafael is still alive and awake, but he won't be for long if that bleeding wound isn't stopped somehow.

Raymond has the grunt dead to rights as of now - if he shoots, he gets priority, though the grunt still has his gun, so he will shoot back if he gets a chance to.

Rolls to discretion.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 20, 2023

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Raymond

You dash for the rifle, and as you do so, you hear Rafael call your name (why?) and shot. You freeze for a split second and sideeye the grunt, who seems to have been caught absolutely short by Rafael's shot, and turns his head to face him. He raises his pistol and shoots back, but you hear the bullet bouncing off - that one didn't hit anyone. Seizing the opportunity, you push the unconscious man aside and grip the rifle.

You bounce back up with a quick jump, hoping to disorient him, and point the gun straight to his chest. He's cornered; he's doing his best to not show it, but you notice the look of sheer terror on his eyes. You can't help but smile. This must be what power feels like, right?

As you corner him against the wall, you turn your head to Rafael, still smiling - you sure are showing him, you sure are showing everyone today. Your smile freezes as you notice him crumpled against the wall, face pale as Death himself, and the blood covering his shirt and splattering onto the ground. He smiles back at you confidently, but it's obvious what's going on.

Small writeup from the other side, just for the hell of it; nothing has changed. You have the drop on the guard right now should you want to attack; he will try to counter if he gets a chance. Other stuff may or may not require rolls.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Faust

As you are still concentrated on deciphering the book, you notice a sudden change around you. Your sigils are definitely tingling, your rings feel cold on your hand, and an ominous sensation invades your magical senses. You raise your head and, for the first time, notice the red sigils drawn on the walls of the room, despite it being as dark as before. You quickly scan them, noticing they are very crudely drawn protective signs; bloody ones, but definitely not done by a practiced magician. Someone has been playing amateur invocator in here.

It takes your brain a second to parse what's odd with them, but once it does, you feel a shudder up your spine.

They glow.

A haze starts dulling your senses. You aren't sure what is happening, but you feel like the room has darkened, and the few sounds you can hear feel very distant and muffled, as if your head was being held underwater. Your thoughts seem to also be getting slowed down. Thinking takes a good deal of effort all of a sudden; you feel drunk and disoriented as you try to fight the strange sensation.

Roll occultism combat here.

To Pearl

You stare at Tina from outside the circle, indecisively - no one seems to decide on what to do with her. She is frozen in place and doesn't react, not even when the room starts filling with a dark, dense smoke. You instinctively cover your mouth and nose, but it isn't making you cough, strangely enough.

Your attention turns to the girl in the circle. You probably should go inside the circle too, come to think of it. It feels right. Your train of thought is interrupted by a burning sensation on your pocket. You reach onto it and pick up the rune Mags drew for you earlier, and as you do, you notice the absurdity of your thoughts. Inside the circle? Why?

On your hand, the paper turns brown and crumbles onto ashes.

To Mags

You've taken the candles away and are now checking the circle, trying to see if there are any other markings, an eye still kept on the girl in the middle. You notice a cold sensation on the wrist you're carrying the bracelet in, and check it just to notice small ice crystals forming on top of it. Strange, you think, but your thoughts are interrupted by the smoke quickly filling the room; you try to find the source, but see nothing. You turn your head towards the others, but whatever this is, it's making it hard to see them.

You try to concentrate and wave away the smoke, and notice with alarm that someone just ran inside the smoking circle.

To Margaret

You watch Tina nervously; she is just standing there like nothing is happening, and no one seems inclined to do anything, no one - she is bleeding! And the blood? You are definitely worried now - there is a lot of it, it's everywhere, cascading down the stairs, down, and the walls are further and further away, they are covered in symbols. The walls?

Margaret?

You are standing behind her, close to her, and she is still walking downstairs, just like before; nothing has changed, but you get the sensation that there aren't many stairs left at all.

Greta. Don't. Please. Get out!

You blink, confused, and everything snaps into focus again. There is a lot of smoke for some reason, and you notice with alarm that you have jumped inside the circle and are standing just right to Tina.

You get a chance - where to go? You can stay by her or use the small window of time given by your rune to run back to the outside of the ring; no roll for either, rune is used up. Trying to get her out is a combat roll.

---

Faust is fine, just overwhelmed; he will need a magical combat roll to be able to regain some control. Pearl has been spared one by the rune, which is used up; Mags is OK for now thanks to the bracelet. Margaret is inside the circle, not fully pulled in because of her own rune, also used up.

Any fighting actions will need combat rolls; non-fighting actions I am willing to hear.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 20, 2023

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Margaret
1 gum

Being at the center of the summoning circle, a murky dizziness envelops Margaret. Tina clearly wants to end it all and enjoy life out of the library's bounds. But does she? She has never shown any desire to leave the library. At least not until very recently. Quite the opposite, in fact. Ninety years of safety from the outside world. Do you figure in her plans? Is she trying to set you free, at expense of her life? You won't abide that!

Margaret's daze can't tell apart what's real or not. Are they still in the room? Are they downstairs? Is Tina bleeding out? Is she standing still? Focus, dammit. For once in your life! Yelling at yourself won't help. It never does. Action, action. Do something! Or, do nothing at all.

Margaret's mind goes blank. An image, a tiny speck of thought, slowly makes it way to the empty canvas. It's a little human dancing in an open field. A girl. A girl enjoying life as it comes. Swirls of many scents dance along with her. Smells of clay, markers, fresh dough, old skin, gunpowder, blood, setting powder and sweat, so much sweat, fuse together and accost the girl. But she doesn't mind. She carries on, doing nothing but dance. Tears may fall because of the growing smell, but her smile stays on.

You are filled with the certainty that, no matter what, you'll end up well. Through pain and loss, throughout every arbitrary challenge in life, you've always come ahead. This time is no different.

Margaret's mind is at ease in this state. Her body follows suit. She begins to dance inside the circle, paying no heed to anything around her.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Margaret

You dance. Eyes closed, mind in a blank state, except it's not blank because it keeps being filled with old memories, long forgotten sensations, ghosts of a past that may or may not be real right now, or may have been real once upon a time. You have lost track of reality, but are not questioning it; you just let your body go, a silent, lonely dance filling the entire world. You just started dancing, but somehow, you feel like you never stopped dancing.

I told you to go back.

You dance. But something has changed.

You jerk.

You are alone. Tina is standing there immovile, you can still see her through the smoke if you open your eyes, you can probably touch her if you extend your hand. You are alone, because in a way, you have always been alone. But you feel something new - a slight pressure on your back, a hand that holds your hand, the faintest feel of a comforting body pressed tight against your own, moving swiftly with your dance, following on your footsteps.

The embrace of a lover.

You know it's just a dream, an echo from before, probably a ghost of unfulfilled desires. You don't dare open your eyes, for fear of chasing the sensation away. But it doesn't go away.

Down by the stairs, down where the walls block the entire world away, Tina reacts for the first time - she stops her descent for a swift second, turns to you, and offers you her right hand with a smile.

There. I'll guide you through the dark.

Hand in hand, you both descend the stairs.

---

To Mags and Pearl:

You can see a small figure that you assume is Margaret dancing inside the circle, slowly circling around Tina, both of them heavily obscured by the smoke. Nothing much has changed from your point of view, except now it is two people inside the circle, and the room seems to be turning dark even faster than it was before, the candles trying their best to pierce the impending smoke wall, the sigils on the walls glowing unnaturally red. You aren't clear on where Faust is right now or what is he doing - you can't see him, since he is a bit too far away, and he is silent.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mags

Mags starts walking the perimeter, mindful not to break the circle

Hey! Hello? What's the plan here, plan guy? Tell me you didn't get vanished or anything !

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rafael

"I can't die here, not with these soiled underpants" think Rafael as his mind races and his eyes dart around looking for a way to patch himself up. His hands fumble through his meagre possessions before his fingers curl around a familiar boxy shape.

Pressing 'September 1993' up against the wound, Rafael attempts to make his shoulder as flat as possible so the floppy disc can staunch the blood flow. He sees Raymond look over at him and Rafael narrows his eyes as best he can and mutters "drat it, Raymond"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust
6 points

Glowing sigils. They're doing something. The symbols are getting burned into his mind.

The room grows darker until only the sigils remain. The strain on Faust's mind is almost too much to bear, as he tries to fight their stupefying influence, when suddenly:

concentrate (occultism combat): 1d10 3

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Faust

Your senses are engulfed in dark smoke. You can't see, can't hear, not even your own voice as you call for someone, anyone to come - the only presence you can somehow perceive is that of the glowing sigils around you.

Slowly, in this strange headspace of yours, you see two silhouettes start to take shape. They are infinitely far away, not much more than a ripple among the smoke, but they definitely are there. They are walking side to side, away from you, away from everyone else, confidently plunging into the deeper darkess that not even the weak sigil light manages to penetrate.

Perception (Internal): 1d4 3

You try to call for them, but no voice comes out. You make an attempt to run after them, but you hear a loud clinking noise as your body slams hard against a shining silver filigree prison.

You hadn't noticed the intrincate silver threads before, but they are definitely there - a shining bubble all around you, caging you in like a small bird, and you can't do much but stare as the figures wander further and further into the dark, unaware of your existence.

Faust is definitely in a strange dimension now. Will take both types of rolls to solve things here, as long as they make sense with the action being attempted.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mags

Mags keeps moving through the smoke. She sees a shape she thinks is Faust and reaches out to put a hand on his shoulder

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Mags

You don't hear a response to your call, but you do hear the man scream for help. You can't see much of anything, but you heard it clearly, and your orientation senses help you a lot here. One or two times you swear you're walking onto the circle, but as soon as you do, the bracelet around your wrist instantly turns from ice cold to burning, searing onto your skin until you step back.

You find Faust approximately where the table was, a tall silhouette standing up inside the smoke clouds. You call to him, but you see no reaction at all. His shoulder feels unnaturally freezing cold, and a quick look into his open eyes tells you he is probably not in this world right now.

Again, rolls to discretion.

EDIT: I swear I didn't see your post before writing this one, lol.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Margaret

You follow Tina downstairs, taking care to step where she's stepping on, her blood (is it her blood?) guiding your steps, her hand confidently leading you ahead.

It wants blood. It won't listen otherwise.The words resonate inside your head like before, not that they make you so much more confident.

Your descent ends - there are no more stairs. All around you, there is just darkness; not even your enhanced senses can pierce it. You see Tina close her eyes, still holding onto your hand (maybe a bit tighter now?) and stay silent for a second, but nothing noticeable happens. Blood is still seeping from her arm, but the stream seems to be a bit thinner now.

Combat roll (base 5): 1d10 2

She continues onwards into the dark, and you follow. You aren't sure how she knows the direction, but them again, maybe there aren't directions where you are right now.

Giving you a window of time here to ask any questions or try to take any actions you may want to. If there are none I'll move you.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust
6 points

Well, this is bad. Clearly he has been caught in some sort of spiritual trap. Since he can't seem to move, and it probably isn't a good idea to move anyway, Faust instead focusses on returning to his body, centering his breathing and focussing on his mantra.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Margaret
1 gum

It has been a while since Margaret had felt surrounded by darkness. It has been even longer since she had a guiding light in such circumstances. She squeezes Tina's hand gently and puts her free hand on top.

Tina posted:

It wants blood. It won't listen otherwise.

Margaret suppresses a shiver and asks Tina:
Do you know what 'it' is?
A pause.
How long have you known?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Faust

You breathe deep and start mumbling a mantra. Just like your therapist told you to, although they definitely weren't as attuned to the magical dimensions as you are; it still works. You clear your mind, close your eyes and concentrate.

Concentrate (internal): 1d4 2

After a few seconds, you feel more secure, like you've just found a foothold while diving into the sea. You keep your concentration, holding onto your conciousness, and the next thing you see is smoke - it covers everything in sight, it makes it hard to see, and it's somehow not making you cough, but it's definitely a more or less mundane happening.

You also notice a cold feeling on your shoulder, and a concerned face staring at yours.

To Mags

You look at Faust's figure for a split second, unsure of what to do - is it bad to wake him up? Is it like sleepwalking? You don't have time to ponder it too much, though; Faust quickly stirs up and looks straight onto your eyes. He looks disoriented and confused, but he is definitely awake now.

Inside the circle, you notice the smoke starting to swirl, like a small, wind-less tornado. You aren't sure he has noticed, though, or how aware of his surroundings he is.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 24, 2023

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Pearl

Among the smoke, you notice Mags moving towards the opposite corner of the room just as a cry for help breaks up - a male voice, so you'd assume it is Faust. You aren't sure where Mags is, but you could probably find her. Possibly.

You sneak a glance towards the center of the circle, still strangely fascinating to you. You can no longer see movement, though the smoke seems to be concentrating there, and you wonder how the people inside are doing. Did they manage to run away?

It can be a great idea to go inside and check.

Resist the allure of the Circle (internal): 1d4 2

You shake your head. You may be disoriented and confused now, but there is no way in hell you are stepping in there. You worry about the lack of movement and the smoke, but a part of your mind is bothering you to go get help.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 24, 2023

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Margaret

Even in this strange dimension, devoid of biological constraints, you'd swear Tina's face just got a bit flushed, and she stops dead on her tracks. She's silent for a bit, and when she speaks, or whatever the equivalent of speech is here, she feels really insecure for the first time since you both met here.

"I... don't know. I don't know what it is. There was a name in the book, but apart from that, I... I... just saw it called for a blood sacrifice, and it was not fair to ask anyone else, and I can fight it, I know I can, and I... and... I wanted it to end, I wanted everything to end, I want to go out, and I don't, I don't want to forget, you, I, just now..."

The thoughts resound inside your head, piling up like an uncontrolled torrent, and the intensity of them makes you recoil, feeling like you're about to get a bad headache. But as fast as it started, it stops. A brief silence, that nevertheless seems to last roughly a couple decades, follows before you hear the voice pipe up again.

"It was really nice just now"

That's not the follow up you expected, and you are kind of grateful you don't have a heartbeat right now. You hold your metaphorical breath, but the next thought comes up in the shape of an image instead.

An image inside Margaret's head posted:

There is an old lady staring at you. She looks nice, and you know, somehow, that she is too. You feel a warm sensation watching her, but it doesn't last.

"Margaret, sweetie, we are about to close"

You don't answer, but you feel a strong ping of panic rise inside you, a sharp pain on your left side flaring up. You don't want to leave, not right now, but you fail to articulate that; your vocal chords feel frozen and unresponsive right now.

You don't want to leave.

"We'll open at 8 tomorrow. Like always. You're always welcome". You stare into a pair of kind eyes, but they fail to offer any comfort. When you speak, your voice feels odd. Alien.

"Can I..."

You don't finish the sentence, but she seems to understand. She winks at you with familiarity.

"... help me close? Sure, sweetie. I can always use a hand"

You hear yourself sigh as you get up and start picking stray books from the nearby tables, and a unvoiced thought forms inside your head. One that feels familiar to you, maybe out of sheer regularity; you feel like you've thought it a lot of times before.

I wish I could stay here forever.

The memory fades away, and the voice comes back.

"I have always known it was magic. In a way. I mean, it's not natural, is it? Not aging, and the portals, and the wishes, and the chaining up inside the library. But I didn't know what it was, not exactly. Now I will. And maybe that's what I've been looking for"

You feel a surge of projected confidence inside yourself.

"And we will finally go home"

Shellception fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 25, 2023

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Pearl
2 gums

Paralyzed by indecision, Pearl resists the thoughts telling her to walk towards the circle and instead responds to the male voice she hears cry out.

She tries to make her way to Faust though her vision is obscured by the smoke and asks "what can I do to help?"

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Margaret
1 gum

Woah, that was Tina's memory, not mine. Did she let me experience it? That's so sweet... and incredible. Ha, am I glad to have Tina and magic powers! What a great package!

I wish I could stay here forever.

Have I... have I wished for something here, before meeting her?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Margaret
1 gum

While laying down on the floor, right before the first portal appeared... embracing the dampness and darkness of the room... the solitude. Was it then?

Hey, Tina. Where is "home"?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust
6 points

Faust shakes himself fully awake, the last remnants of his vision still clinging to him.

"There's... something here. It's powerful. It almost pulled me in. I saw... figures, people, walking. And sigils... There. And there."

He squints, trying to make the symbols out. "I don't think I've seen those exact symbols before, but maybe something similar..."

Faust really wishes his notebook wasn't currently soaked in sea water as he tries to recall the entries.

identify symbols (occultism): 1d10 10

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Margaret

The answer takes a bit to pop in your head, as if she's thinking things around.

I used to think my house was my home. Then I thought the library was my home. I was wrong. Both were prisons.

There is a small pause. By the corner of your eye, you notice a swift movement in the dark, and you quickly spring to attention and try to follow it with your eyes. You see her do the same, but her words still resound into your mind.

I don't know where "home" is. I... think I may have never known. But I know it's somewhere where you can bathe in the sea and listen to the birds and feel the air and the sun in your face.

Suddenly, you feel a fast push to the side and lose your equilibrium, falling down on your knees. As you raise your head to try and see what happened, you barely notice a dark appendage inefficiently slashing the air. A small thought notifies you of the blood stain that just appeared in your shirt, and your hand moves instinctively to your stomach and checks. It isn't yours.

The being in the darkness lunges back at Tina, but she swiftly moves aside too. It keeps going and hits what seems to be a wall. You feel something crumbling, but before you can wonder, Tina has jumped in front of you, arms open to her sides, shielding you from the attacks.

You do notice another movement of a different sort. All around you both, a shining red thread swirls in the darkness. It reminds you of the blood trail over the stairs, but you have no idea how or why it's there now. You see the monster strike at it a couple times, but it seems to absorb all the energy of the impacts, cushioning you both inside a quickly swirling red bubble.

You see it? you hear, and you wonder how are you supposed to not see it. I think it's mine. I think I did that.

You see her extend a hand curiously, and the red bubble moves itself to accomodate her. The monster keeps striking at you both ineffectively, but you'd say its attention is concentrated on the impact site of before.

Combat roll (base 5): 1d10 10

---

Someone just casually rolled a combat/defense crit, created a shield and spared you a roll in the process.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 26, 2023

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Mags

You half listen to Faust, still feeling like you haven't finished parsing whatever is going on inside the circle.

It happens very fast. The dark smoke swirls solidify into a being that your senses refuse to fully acknowledge, one who lunges at the circle walls, and you can't do much but blindly dash backwards, barely missing a candle and falling over on your backside as a mass of dark, sharp tendrils swirl very close, slashing the air in front of you.

To Pearl

Your attention gets dragged to the circle time and time again. As Faust speaks, and you try to force yourself to listen to him, you do in fact notice something else. There is a deep scratch on the stone circle just in front of you, one that's pretty markedly not blocked by the salt. You vaguely wonder if that'll be a problem.

Suddenly, you see something flare up inside the circle and charge at it. Something black, long and sharp sticks out from the damaged side and reaches out wildly, stretching itself without any apparent physical change. You jump back and manage to find a sturdy wooden chair; thanking your luck, you shield yourself behind it, ready to fight whatever comes your way. But the being doesn't seem that interested in you.

Collective perception roll (Mags and Pearl): 2d4 (4, 1) 5

To both of them

Smoke still obscures most of the room, and you aren't exactly sure where everyone else is, but both of you hear a loud thumping noise followed by a male voice loudly screaming in pain. Then, nothing.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 26, 2023

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Faust

You're looking at the sigils, trying to decipher them - they seem similar to other protective ones you've seen in the past, but you cannot exactly pinpoint them, and the swirling smoke does not help. Why is there so much smoke here anyway?

You don't see it coming.

Your heavy coat takes the blunt of the impact; the tendril doesn't manage to slash through it, but it sends you flying backwards with the strength of a car. Your right side violently hits something hard, and you hear the most sickening crunch you've ever heard in your life, coming from inside. You scream, and on doing so you feel a sharp, intense pain on your ribcage. You are sure you just broke a couple ribs at the very least.

A cold sweat overcomes you as you fight for your life. Your right side hurts intensely and you aren't sure you can even use that arm right now; breathing is painful, and you can't do much else but squirm against the wooden table's leg as the dark appendages try to engulf you whole, thankfully slowed by the cold silver sigils around your neck and hands.

Sigils giving you one extra turn; trying to fight this is definitely combat roll, either Faust's or someone else's. If you can think of another way to get out of it, I'm all ears.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 26, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust
5 points

Screaming, Faust grabs the first thing that comes to mind as a deterrent for slimy haunted tentacles: a fistful of stone salt. He rubs it against the attacker.

ew ew tentacles ew (combat): 1d10 5

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mags

Holy hell!

Mags falls back and watches Faust get tossed by...something she can't even understand. Fortunately he's still moving, and she calls out to him

The knife! Use the knife!!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Faust

You dig onto your pocket with your good hand and dig up the salt pouch, which you desperately rub into the dark tendrils. For a brief, terrifying second, your hand seems to go through them without touching them, as if they too were made of smoke - but then, you notice it actually stopping and recoiling a bit. Sensing the opportunity, you throw a fistful of salt its way, and notice it loosening its grip. Adrenaline numbing the broken bone pain, you quickly slide under the table, grabbing the edge of it at the opposite side with your left hand in a desperate attempt to get up and behind something.

Combat (base 3): 1d10 8

It doesn't remain stunned for long, and as you are pushing yourself up, you feel something grabbing your ankles and pulling down, causing you to fall under the table again - you barely have time to cushion the fall with your left side, and you hear yourself scream again as a sharp ping of pain leaves you breathless for a split second.

You are lying face up under the table, back to the floor, and it's got you by the ankles, trying to go up. Things have improved somehow, but this thing can definitely kick asses.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 26, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Opopanax posted:

Mags

Holy hell!

Mags falls back and watches Faust get tossed by...something she can't even understand. Fortunately he's still moving, and she calls out to him

The knife! Use the knife!!

Faust
5 points

Knife. Right. Knife. The ritual knife. It was... here?

Faust grabs the knife and rams it in the direction of the tentacle that's wrapped around his ankles.

attack tentacle with knife (combat): 1d10 6

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Faust (and Mags and Pearl)

You bend yourself under the table, wielding the knife on your left hand, and desperately lunge at the dark appendages dragging you down.

You don't feel it connecting at all - it feels like stabbing the air. There is no feedback and no blood, but suddenly, the pull around your legs is no more. You push forward and notice the being has pulled back from you, pointedly avoiding the runic knife. It clearly does not like it.

You take the opportunity to get back up on your feet, knife held tight in hand, trying to get your breath back. Your right side hurts badly and you probably can't do much force with your arm for now, but it could have been worse. It could have been so much worse, you tell yourself as you watch the dark tendrils quickly expand from the broken circle and start filling the whole room.

Leaving space for everyone to maneouver here. No need to roll right now, but next turn will probably involve combat or defense rolls. You can do so this turn too if you want for some reason, tho.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust
5 points

poo poo, that hurts. Would probably be way worse if not for the adrenaline. Not taking his eyes off the creature, Faust call out to the others.

"We need to... chase it back. And repair the circle. Can one of you take the knife?"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mags

"And now I'm facing an eldritch horror beyond my comprehension, sure why not" Mags thinks to herself, her levity trying to keep her sane.
She's still close to Faust so she steps up and puts her hand out at his request

What do we need to do?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Faust
5 points

"It seems to be afraid of the knife. And the circle should hold it, but it's broken and the salt is holding it back, but not fully. And I think my arm's broken or something. So I'll need you to chase it back into the circle and I'll try to close it. And we need to avoid getting grabbed by it."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mags

Hold on!

Mags steps back and heads towards the table, looking around frantically for the torch she dropped earlier

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Mags

You grab the knife Faust offers you and notice the tentacles instantly pushing back from you and creeping towards the others. Whatever you do, you have to do it fast.

Looking for torch (internal): 1d4 4

You check around the table for the dropped torch, but you don't see it at first. Looking around desperately, you do find it - someone seems to have kicked it onto a corner near the shelves at some point. You can definitely get to it, but you'll be further away from the rest.

To Faust and Pearl

Having given the dagger away, both of you quickly get surrounded by the dark tendrils. You aren't even sure where they are coming from, but with every second that passes you see more and more of them. The smoke around you seems to be clearing, as if it was crystallizing into the being in front of you, but that's not helping your morale at all. The inside of the circle still remains fully clouded, and the only thing you are sure of is that no one is moving in there.

Combat roll for both, or a very good idea to waive the roll.

EDIT: Nevermind, no roll (see further on)

Shellception fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Margaret (part 2)

You aren't sure you can parse the being in front of you; it seems to spawn several dimensions, only some of them you're used to. It is mostly ignoring you and charging with all its might against the stone wall; the crack on it seems to be widening. Some slashes get thrown your way, but the blood shield seems to hold for the time being.

This isn't right. It's trying to escape the circle!

You can see that, but you also aren't sure what on Earth should you do.

Stop! We are here to negotiate! The intensity of the thought inside the bubble makes you recoil, but you realize this one wasn't aimed at you. Is she trying to talk with the Eldritch horror? What?

Before you can react, you hear a second voice.

YOU ARE THE SACRIFICES. NOT THE MASTERS.

You freeze in place, slightly stunned from the intensity of the voice inside your head, as a tendril manages to slash through the shield, hitting Tina straight in the chest and knocking her down several feet away. The blood shield pops, leaving you in the open.

You instintively duck to the side and look on the direction she was tossed. She is not moving at all, and you realize with distress that there is definitely way more blood on her clothes than there was a moment before, and that it looks darker.

Attacking (base 3): 1d10 10

More combat criticals, this one you really really didn't want to see. You can do a number of things, most of them will involve rolling combat, but open to any ideas.