Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Kenfoldsfive posted:

My understanding of it is APs in normal mode will detect rogues with no access protection (wep/wpa/etc), connect to them, and then try to ping the WLC to determine if it's a wired rogue. An AP in rogue detector mode will turn its radios off and sniff ARP traffic on the LAN, which it correlates with detected AP MACs - if a MAC appears on both a rogue AP and in an ARP request, you've got a rogue on the LAN.

The WLC can have switches added via snmp communities and search your infrastructure for the offending device. You won't need a device turned off in rogue detection to find a rogue on the wire when setup this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Strange question - is there some changes we should make to our Cisco ASA 5510 to make it more Mac OS X Lion friendly, or WiMax compatible?

We have one remote user that suddenly lost VPN access after upgrading to Lion. They only have WiMax Internet at their house. We have other Lion users that connect without issue. I blame his ISP, but they say nothing changed on their end (things just happened to stop working when he upgraded).

He connects, nothing works over the connection, then it drops.

This is repeated every 20 seconds, for 1 minute (before it drops the connection), in his /var/log/system.log:

code:
Jun 25 21:59:19 MacLion racoon[2320]: IKE Packet: transmit success. (Information message).
Jun 25 21:59:19 MacLion racoon[2320]: IKEv1 Information-Notice: transmit success. (R-U-THERE?).
Jun 25 21:59:19 MacLion racoon[2320]: IKEv1 Dead-Peer-Detection: request transmitted. (Initiator DPD Request).
Jun 25 21:59:19 MacLion racoon[2320]: IKEv1 Dead-Peer-Detection: response received. (Initiator DPD Response).
Jun 25 21:59:19 MacLion racoon[2320]: IKE Packet: receive success. (Information message).
What should I be checking or looking for?

Again, I blame his ISP. He can use VPN just fine from a Hotel or on Guest WiFi. I spoke with his ISP's tech support over the phone, and they said it was absolutely not them, as other members connect via VPN just fine.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Speaking of devices running hot, I have three ASA 5505's on my desk, and I'm pretty sure you could use them as an impromptu cooking surface.

I was pretty sure you could fry an egg on the back of a 1130 AP, but I'm positive you could fry an egg on an upside-down 5505.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Who turns an asa upside down?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

Again, I blame his ISP. He can use VPN just fine from a Hotel or on Guest WiFi. I spoke with his ISP's tech support over the phone, and they said it was absolutely not them, as other members connect via VPN just fine.

Oh the unending joy of client VPN.

I don't have any suggestions, but if you figure it out, please share- I'm very nearly about to be supporting a osx fleet doing client VPN to ASAs.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Nitr0 posted:

Who turns an asa upside down?

I will from now on, when frying eggs.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
They have these cool things called frying pans now and you don't have to cook your food on your electronics. It's crazy I know but just trust me on this one.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Xenomorph posted:

Strange question - is there some changes we should make to our Cisco ASA 5510 to make it more Mac OS X Lion friendly, or WiMax compatible?

We have one remote user that suddenly lost VPN access after upgrading to Lion. They only have WiMax Internet at their house. We have other Lion users that connect without issue. I blame his ISP, but they say nothing changed on their end (things just happened to stop working when he upgraded).

He connects, nothing works over the connection, then it drops.

This is repeated every 20 seconds, for 1 minute (before it drops the connection), in his /var/log/system.log:

code:
Jun 25 21:59:19 MacLion racoon[2320]: IKE Packet: transmit success. (Information message).
Jun 25 21:59:19 MacLion racoon[2320]: IKEv1 Information-Notice: transmit success. (R-U-THERE?).
Jun 25 21:59:19 MacLion racoon[2320]: IKEv1 Dead-Peer-Detection: request transmitted. (Initiator DPD Request).
Jun 25 21:59:19 MacLion racoon[2320]: IKEv1 Dead-Peer-Detection: response received. (Initiator DPD Response).
Jun 25 21:59:19 MacLion racoon[2320]: IKE Packet: receive success. (Information message).
What should I be checking or looking for?

What version of code do you have on the ASA they connect to? And what Version of the VPN client? I've noticed issues in different versions of Mac OS that cause random issues for clients like you have. Cisco has pushed some updates to some of those problems

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

jwh posted:

I don't have any suggestions, but if you figure it out, please share- I'm very nearly about to be supporting a osx fleet doing client VPN to ASAs.

SSL VPN....have yet to have an issue. IPSEC on the other hand, we no longer support it. That was a fun battle. Luckily an exec had an issue and he helped us push the change through.

To your earlier question about the security levels, in 8.3+ it depends on whether or not you're using global rules, etc. I'll probably use them out of habit for the next few years. I wish Cisco would just deprecate stuff the minute they have a better way of doing things vs. allowing some frankenweenie combination to run (looking at you NAT control).

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

Convert the ASA Remote tunnels into L2TP and then let them use the bu... oh wait cisco

... there's always the SSL VPN... oh wait, osx.

But serious answer for xenomorph, check the end user's NAT device to make sure that IPSEC/GRE passthrough is enabled. If the router itself has some kind of VPN function then it's probably not getting NAT'd properly.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 26, 2012

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's an AnyConnect client for OSX that supports SSL. There was a problem when Lion 10.7 came out, but that's been corrected. They even support Linux.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

jwh posted:

Speaking of devices running hot, I have three ASA 5505's on my desk, and I'm pretty sure you could use them as an impromptu cooking surface.

I was pretty sure you could fry an egg on the back of a 1130 AP, but I'm positive you could fry an egg on an upside-down 5505.

We had an MRV media converter that, when you plugged an SFP+ into it, heated it up to 97C...

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

That's the one thing I find very bizarre about the PIX/ASA Way of Doing Things(TM): interface level policy in combination with global policy.

I don't see the advantage over consolidated policy in a firewall platform. On a router platform, sure, I think it can make sense, but when you're leveraging an appliance specifically or filter functionality, I just don't see what per-interface policy buys you. Worst case, do what everybody else does and allow for zone declaration, then leverage zones in your policy base.

Optimally I want one access control policy and one NAT policy box-wide (excluding virtual systems or multiple contexts).

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Langolas posted:

What version of code do you have on the ASA they connect to? And what Version of the VPN client? I've noticed issues in different versions of Mac OS that cause random issues for clients like you have. Cisco has pushed some updates to some of those problems

Cisco ASA 5510, 256MB RAM
ASA Version: 8.2(3)
ASDM Version: 6.3(3)

I know the device supports AnyConnect, but we don't have a contract with Cisco (so no access to the software). Not to mention I have no idea how to set it up.

I doubt anything is wrong with our current configuration. We have another VPN server: L2TP/IPSec that I set up as a backup, and this user has issues with that as well.

He said he disconnected his router and went straight from Modem to Mac.

Basically, everything points to ISP; which firmly states they've changed nothing on their end and that everyone else uses VPN just fine.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

Fun Shoe
8.3 is beginning to fix some of that, but again, they're half assing it which is frustrating.

Cisco does some pretty impressive stuff within the datacenter, but things like load balancing, WAN optimization, and end-user security stuff is so far behind it's laughable. For example, the Cisco WAAS devices are just now able to optimize signed SMB/SMBv2. That's been available on the Riverbed platform for years. Also, the reporting in each of their devices suck.

The setup I had for syslog'ing info out of our ASA's was so needlessly complex because of how crappy they handle everything. I just dump everything into Splunk now and search for what I need, but it is sad that is what I had to resort to with the price tage that comes with those things.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Xenomorph posted:

Cisco ASA 5510, 256MB RAM
ASA Version: 8.2(3)
ASDM Version: 6.3(3)

I know the device supports AnyConnect, but we don't have a contract with Cisco (so no access to the software). Not to mention I have no idea how to set it up.

I doubt anything is wrong with our current configuration. We have another VPN server: L2TP/IPSec that I set up as a backup, and this user has issues with that as well.

He said he disconnected his router and went straight from Modem to Mac.

Basically, everything points to ISP; which firmly states they've changed nothing on their end and that everyone else uses VPN just fine.

If he's able to connect by going straight through his modem, it could be his router. Ask him what kind of router he uses at home for the hell of it, it may not be his ISP but rather a conflict from there

Edit: And I have gone through what you are going through right now with some of my end users. Apple Routers that use a 10.0.0.0 ip subnet out of the box have caused my users to have all sorts of fun with VPN issues.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Simple question perhaps.

I'm putting together a small set of cisco kit. I have ICND1 passed and want to go on to ICND2 and CCNP after that. I know there's simulators but working with the actual kit is way more fun.

I currently have 2 x 2950 - 24 ports and I'm looking to get 2-3 routers to play about with these.

I've been told that 2621XMs would be good to have for going on with the CCNP afterwards and that 2611XMs should do as well. What are 2610s/2620s like (non XM)? The 2621XM and 2611XM don't come around too often on ebay whereas there are always some 2610/2620s.

Which routers should I be aiming for idealy?

ToG fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 28, 2012

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

jwh posted:

Really? I do too but it's not actually being used for anything and it's just slightly above ambient on all sides.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Langolas posted:

Edit: And I have gone through what you are going through right now with some of my end users. Apple Routers that use a 10.0.0.0 ip subnet out of the box have caused my users to have all sorts of fun with VPN issues.

10.0/16 and 192.168.0/23 are in my blacklist of networks to never use.

When setting up IPSEC tunnels on a SRX do you have to consume a tunnel interface to do it? I haven't set one up personally and I have a Juniper SE telling me that the SRX240 can only do 128 IPSEC tunnels because that's the limit on tunnel interfaces. If that's the case I don't see how they are claiming it can do 1,000 IPSEC tunnels in the datasheet.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

FatCow posted:

When setting up IPSEC tunnels on a SRX do you have to consume a tunnel interface to do it? I haven't set one up personally and I have a Juniper SE telling me that the SRX240 can only do 128 IPSEC tunnels because that's the limit on tunnel interfaces. If that's the case I don't see how they are claiming it can do 1,000 IPSEC tunnels in the datasheet.

You can build separate st0 interfaces for each tunnel, or build one and make it a multipoint from my understanding.

I only do IPSEC on the MX series, and we use just a single sp interface.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I wish Cisco would join the 21st century here and use logical tunnel interfaces to represent, you know, tunnels, on the ASA platform.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

FatCow posted:

Protip:
Use 7.0.0.0/8 for your User Facing VPN tunnels. It is an address that is guarenteed not to be in use as it is a public address space that is reserved by the DoD for their own intranet. ALso it is easy to remember.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Powercrazy posted:

Protip:
Use 7.0.0.0/8 for your User Facing VPN tunnels. It is an address that is guarenteed not to be in use as it is a public address space that is reserved by the DoD for their own intranet. ALso it is easy to remember.

That's simultaneously the best and worst idea I've ever heard. :)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CrazyLittle posted:

That's simultaneously the best and worst idea I've ever heard. :)

It does work well though.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

jwh posted:

I wish Cisco would join the 21st century here and use logical tunnel interfaces to represent, you know, tunnels, on the ASA platform.

But show crypto ipsec sa is so easy to read and also

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

abigserve posted:

But show crypto ipsec sa is so easy to read and also

I want to find a emote animation that's just stabbing itself repeatedly in the eye sockets.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Powercrazy posted:

Protip:
don't do this if you are heavily regulated. We use some dod IP space on our network and every year they make a stupid comment about the FBI showing up because of it.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

Fun Shoe

adorai posted:

don't do this if you are heavily regulated. We use some dod IP space on our network and every year they make a stupid comment about the FBI showing up because of it.

You should have them explain why, then follow up with them over and over until you get some sort of amazing answer.

I love that auditors (at least ours) only have been to auditing school that their company provides and don't have actual experience in the field. I love sitting for hours explaining why we have XYZ configuration in place.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CaptainGimpy posted:

I love that auditors (at least ours) only have been to auditing school that their company provides and don't have actual experience in the field. I love sitting for hours explaining why we have XYZ configuration in place.
I always loved watching the high-speed-low-drag boys and girls at our customers. Every year we'd the weirdest inquiries.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I am a noob setting up AnyConnect VPN. While talking with TAC last night, they say that my inside interface and my address pool should be separate.

Currently my inside interface directly connects into a Checkpoint firewall interface, with that interface as 192.168.5.1/24. My inside is .9, pool is .10-250. They are saying make a new pool in 192.168.6.1/24, make the inside be the .1 and the checkpoint to have an additional IP of .2.

Is this true? What's the best practice regarding the inside interface addressing? I am confused.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CaptainGimpy posted:

You should have them explain why, then follow up with them over and over until you get some sort of amazing answer.

Auditors are terrible people that are universally incompetent.

Those who can't do, teach.
Those who can't teach, manage.
Those who can't even manage, audit.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Powercrazy posted:

I am debating on printing this poster size for my office. :)

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Powercrazy posted:

Auditors are terrible people that are universally incompetent.

Does that count for the whitehats that are in on assessments as well? :)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Failed CCNA by a hair. Some questions I wasn't 100% on if you guys wouldn't mind taking a stab at them:

VTP frames - Unicast or Multicast?

Three switches with one link between them. Switch 1 is Root. How do I find which three connections are Designated Ports? The two pointing to the root bridge are Root Ports, correct?

IPv6 features - Unicast, Multicast, and Anycast, right?

When you're debugging something, to view the output, is it show debug or terminal monitor?

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 2, 2012

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
[quote="Zuhzuhzombie!!" post=""405218564"]Three switches with one link between them. Switch 1 is Root. How do I find which three connections are Designated Ports? The two pointing to the root bridge are Root Ports, correct?

When you're debugging something, to view the output, is it show debug or terminal monitor?
[/quote]
sh span
term mon

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

VTP frames - Unicast or Multicast?
Multicast, DST MAC is 01-00-0C-CC-CC-CC, a '1' bit in the first octet is multicast.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

IPv6 features - Unicast, Multicast, and Anycast, right?
In terms of protocol level features, unicast and multicast. Anycast is more of a function of how you use it. But on the CCNA exam you're right (all 3).

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

sh debug shows your current debug settings. term mon will cause messages (including debugs) to log to your vty.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

IPv6 features: EUI-64, SLAAC, squabbling, disagreement.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

jwh posted:

IPv6 features: EUI-64, SLAAC, squabbling, disagreement.

Ridiculous header extension system.

Edit: I guess it's great if you sell hardware, though.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

"But, but, guys! If we give everything a /64 what about in the distant future when we've colonized the solar system and we don't have enough addresses for everyones personal robot assistants!? What THEN?" - 50% of ip6 discussions on NANOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
My only hope is that everyone responsible for IPv6 dies before the first /64 block is completely consumed.