Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Got the call from the dealer today that the Legacy we factory ordered just made it in.

Out with the 4Runner tomorrow, in with the Subaru.

I really hope I don't regret getting this bucket of bolts. The 4Runner has been awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Got it. I must say I'm truly surprised by the roominess of it, particularly the back is awesome.

Passenger front seat is right back in this photo. Easily more room than the 4Runner. Got to get used to the lower clearance (already heard a SCRAPE as I burned a U near over a pothole, nothing serious) but so far so good.

Also, Azurite Blue Pearl is beautiful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
we've got a new project car in the shop. it's going to be a good one:

has a ver7 swap, we're building a 2.6l and coverting to 5x114. Also ordered lots of Aerosim parts. Anyone want to buy some rotas?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Just a warning for anyone installing the Whiteline ALK (KCA334) on a newer car.. after having it on the car for 2 weeks, was in the shop last night for something else. We noticed the left bushing was in the process of working its way out of the control arm on the left side of the car. It was so loose, in fact, that you could move the entire LCA by tapping it with a mallet. The tech recalled that he had thought the Whiteline bushings had slid in very easily, instead of being super tight like the OEM bushing. We put the OEM bushings back in, I'll probably hold off on this mod for a few years.

thebearheeb
Jun 1, 2011
So I recently picked up an 06 STi and being new to Subaru's I have a few questions:

There is a 'clunk' sound in the rear which I was told something relating to suspension needs to be lubed back there. I had the car in the air to check it out and nothing seems to be loose and bushings appear fine; but occasionally when turning at any speed, acceleration or deceleration ill hear a knock from the rear of the car. Im relatively sure its not the exhaust knocking on things but I could be wrong.

Also, ive done a bit of searching on NASIOC and iwsti but I cant seem to get a straight answer: is piston slap common on ALL Subaru's? I know the cause of it but I hear a tapping from the motor when its < 60 degrees F and the motor is cold. It goes away when warm. Does not sound like valvetrain noise or rod knock and I imagine if it was really bad I would have blown the motor by now.

Car has 40k miles on it, 6k on the new motor (replaced under warranty from bearing failure). Mods are Invidia catted turboback, SPT intake and Cobb tune.

Pic of the whip:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

we've got a new project car in the shop. it's going to be a good one:

has a ver7 swap, we're building a 2.6l and coverting to 5x114. Also ordered lots of Aerosim parts. Anyone want to buy some rotas?

I think I recognize this car?

"Mannslayer"'s old car on rs25?

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f12/t136079-team-limit-classic-impreza.html

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 2, 2011

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

thebearheeb posted:

'clunk'
piston slap

All normal, welcome to the wonderful world of Subaru's. Also good choice on the 06. Likely one of the best years for the STI.

TiC Klunk Killer: http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_11_261_274_1198&products_id=187

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 2, 2011

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Amandyke posted:

All normal, welcome to the wonderful world of Subaru's. Also good choice on the 06. Likely one of the best years for the STI.

TiC Klunk Killer: http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_11_261_274_1198&products_id=187

TiC Klunk Killer may be a bit premature depending on what the clunk is.

thebearheeb -
Are you experiencing it when there's an obvious shift on the suspension (driving over a sharp bump (though sometimes not so sharp mine was first noticed on a crack in my driveway at 2mph))? If so get under the car and tighten down the end links and grease up the bushings that hold the sway bar and you're good to go. Some endlinks are noisier than others so you may want to figure out what you've got.

thebearheeb
Jun 1, 2011

allonblack posted:

TiC Klunk Killer may be a bit premature depending on what the clunk is.

thebearheeb -
Are you experiencing it when there's an obvious shift on the suspension (driving over a sharp bump (though sometimes not so sharp mine was first noticed on a crack in my driveway at 2mph))? If so get under the car and tighten down the end links and grease up the bushings that hold the sway bar and you're good to go. Some endlinks are noisier than others so you may want to figure out what you've got.

Actually I experience it in any shift of the suspension. Especially on low speed turns. For example, I just came back from lunch and as I was reversing out of the parking space, wheels turned slight left I heard a clunk from the rear right side of the car. Ill get under the car again and see if the end links are loose.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
STIs are pretty infamous for their inverted dampers clunking. This was the first thing I thought of.

Some clunking at low speeds is relatively normal (particularly in reverse), but it is probably time for an 06 to be getting a regrease. Check this out.

For the sake of information, Feal Suspension has a refresh service that regreases and repacks the strut and also adds (at your choice) new zerk fittings so you can grease the struts without having to disassemble them.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

slidebite posted:

Got it. I must say I'm truly surprised by the roominess of it, particularly the back is awesome.

Trunk size kind of sucks because of it, but, yeah, the backseat is practically 7 series sized.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

STIs are pretty infamous for their inverted dampers clunking. This was the first thing I thought of.

Some clunking at low speeds is relatively normal (particularly in reverse), but it is probably time for an 06 to be getting a regrease. Check this out.

For the sake of information, Feal Suspension has a refresh service that regreases and repacks the strut and also adds (at your choice) new zerk fittings so you can grease the struts without having to disassemble them.

Yeah I've got a set over there now. For about the 4th time. I keep having them revalved and then end up selling them before I have a chance to put them on. Maybe next week.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Jamal, you were talking about AL radiators a few weeks ago.
Who's do you like, it looks like there are three for the LGT:
Mishimoto, Koyo, and Gimmick. There's a lot of complaints about the gimmick being crap.
The Mishimoto is like $200 cheaper than the Koyo, but I will pay for quality if warranted.

Also, certain people claim AL rads will leak?

No doing this for another 10k or so, but I was thinking about it.

Speaking fo which is there a better water pump for the LGT (or even a need?)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

koyo for sure. I'm wary of everything mishimoto makes after seeing a thermostat explode, ruin a water pump and then motor. The fin density and efficiency of their radiators is not as good as the koyos either. For an n/a car like sockington's the mishimoto should be more than good enough provided it doesn't have any holes in it. It's actually the oem radiators with plastic endtanks that tend to start leaking.

You'll also want to get new clamps (and hoses if you feel like it), and make sure the person doing the install cuts down the upper hose. the added thickness of the radiator moves the hose closer to the pulleys and I've seen them get cut plenty of times.

For a water pump just use the OEM one or a gates timing kit. There's no upgrade for the water pump.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 3, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is there a reason to consider replacing a radiator if it's not leaking or clogged? What other things can go wrong with it other than smashed fins? Rust?

The whole cooling system is a fairly big gap in my knowledge, but I'm planning on doing a coolant flush probably before the summer is out - so the more knowledge before I go in there, the better.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

if you're tracking the car it's nice to have a bigger aluminum radiator. It gives you more coolant capacity and you can run higher pressure which makes the system slightly more efficient.

I'm shopping around trying to figure out who makes one for my car because I'll be surprised if the one in there makes it 6 more months before cracking. As far as I know it's the original 190000 mile radiator and I see them fail as early as 100k.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

jamal posted:

As far as I know it's the original 190000 mile radiator and I see them fail as early as 100k.

8ender's car had just shy of 120,000miles. Figured it was cheap insurance and I knew it'd be cleaner inside than the old OEM one.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
I'm trying to sell my '05 Legacy GT and I'm wondering if I've set the initial price too high.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2411858811.html

I figured I'd start at blue book and work down from there - ($12,500 is "Good" condition) but I'm wondering if a car that has the problems I listed in the ad should be asking for less.

Am I falling for that old trick and overvaluing a car that means a lot to me?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

and I see them fail as early as 100k.

Like mine!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Anyone know where the DBW relays are?

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!
Not really related to any of the discussion going on here at the moment but anyone have any recommendations on some good, reasonably priced, brake pads and rotors for an '06 2.5i?

I had posted earlier about my girlfriend having an accident with leaving the parking brake on and warping a couple of rotors and I've been able to squeeze about 10k more miles out of them but I'm at the point of needing to do something.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Benjamin Disraeli posted:

Not really related to any of the discussion going on here at the moment but anyone have any recommendations on some good, reasonably priced, brake pads and rotors for an '06 2.5i?

I had posted earlier about my girlfriend having an accident with leaving the parking brake on and warping a couple of rotors and I've been able to squeeze about 10k more miles out of them but I'm at the point of needing to do something.

Here you go, $246 http://knsbrakes.com/carItemDetails.php?car_id=94&item_id=36803

Or $188 with standard rotors instead of premium: http://knsbrakes.com/carItemDetails.php?car_id=94&item_id=36790

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
So I called up the subaru dealership in town to ask if they sell extra-s, and the guy at the parts counter was like "naw man it's just regular gear oil, nothing fancy, you should be able to get it from anywhere" and then he went on to say that they won't siphon me out a few quarts of their OEM gear oil. Which should be extra-s.

So I buy extra-s online now I guess?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

their oem stuff might not even be extra S. If anyone wants to buy a 20l can of the stuff the part number is K0322AA093. As far as I can tell it's fine to ship oil so I guess I could put some into smaller containers.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

their oem stuff might not even be extra S. If anyone wants to buy a 20l can of the stuff the part number is K0322AA093. As far as I can tell it's fine to ship oil so I guess I could put some into smaller containers.

I could use an oil change worth too...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Anyone know where the DBW relays are?

Anyone? I want to get this POS working again

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

You should.
Check out this margin.
http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-75w90-extra-s-gear-and-transmission-quart-bottle.html

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

no idea where the relay is but from what I can gather it seems like it could be the problem. The only other times I've had a similar problem was when there was something physically stuck in the throttle plate (twice), and once when a TB actually went bad.

Jesus gently caress $20 a quart for extra S? I've been selling it for $10. Time to jack up the price.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 4, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, they sell it at $15 /quart. I've never actually seen it on sale for $20.

It is magical fluid though. I'm loving it in my 2002.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
If one of you starts selling it for a reasonable price I'd be your first customer.

darkcaps
Sep 20, 2006
Whats up guys!

Looking to get some new wheels for my 08 STi. Do any of you know where I could find a decent deal on a set of Volk TE37s?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

My father gave me his old Outback (1998) and it's in great running condition but there's a handful of cosmetic issues I'm trying to work out for a reasonable price. The biggest one is the hood scoop, it basically looks like the clear coat is coming off.

There's probably no good way to recondition it so where would be a good place to get a new one that will actually match the paint? The car has been garaged it's whole life so fortunately the paint hasn't faded much if at all but it does have a good amount of scratches and nicks being 13 year old Subaru paint.

Second is one of the alloy wheels has started to oxidize, again probably no way to fix it since the coating has completely come off. One of the other wheels has started as well. Is there anything that can be done to slow it down at least?

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 6, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

LOoks like the phantom issue with my car is a known ECU fault.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Jamal/anyone who knows, how the heck do you remove the cam sprockets on an EJ25 without cracking them to pieces? I figured I could just crank on them with a breaker bar with the timing belt still on and they'd break loose. That strategy worked for the first one, but I quickly destroyed the second one I attempted to break loose (plastic bits everywhere).

The reason I'm removing them is to do the seals.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

are the seals leaking?

I usually don't bother replacing them unless they do for this reason.

To take them off I usually take an old timing belt and wrap it around the crank sprocket and the two pulleys on that side so that the belt gets pinched and wrapped underneath itself and the sprockets can't rotate.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Front LSDs are awesome, and you should all get one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I agree, I really want one for my Mazda 3 :P

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

nm posted:

Front LSDs are awesome, and you should all get one.

Don't say that, last thing I need is to dump more money into my crappy RS.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

jamal posted:

are the seals leaking?

Oh yeah. They're leaking bad enough that I failed safety inspection for having oil leaking through the seals, out the timing cover, and all the way out to the front-right brake assembly, coating it thoroughly in oil. Every time I parked and got out it smelled like a refinery.

Any pictures or video describing your method? Is it anything like this?:

I just don't know how I'd get enough leverage on it that way without spinning the crank in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Impact gun or rope trick.