Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

At idle: a bumbling, not running well, cam'd GSXr

At speed: Kinda sounds like a BMW M5 mixed with an air raid siren.. gotta love those straight cut cam gears.

Daytona 675 Triple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
At idle: Kind of a more throaty air compressor? I dunno. Lots of cam gear whine, hardly any exhaust noise.

At speed, under harder acceleration (above 6k or so): twin engine turboprop. :cool:

(SV1000)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

At idle: A bumbling bassy fart.

At speed: VTEC just kicked in, yo!Actually more like an angry flatulent bumblebee in a coffee can.

(Bandit 600 w/ carbon Arrow slipon)

Edited for correctness.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 23, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
At idle:

The burble of a happy lawnmower.

Full throttle:

Biplane strafing run.

(DRZ400SM with stock exhaust)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
All the time: badly in need of a proper tune up.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
So normally I always ride while listening to my ipod with some good sound cancelling headphones. But today I road the Superduke without such nonsense and let me tell you about the fabulous noise the gear driven cams make that I basically had no idea about :parrot:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
At idle: Two ninjas engaging in muttered conversation
On the honk: Two ninjas speaking a little louder while one of them whirls around a crank-style party favor and the other one inhales through a straw

(Weestrom)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

My bike just sounds like dubstep all the time. :(

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Idle: an old dog managing half a woof on the down stroke of someone playing the snare drum of a kid drumset.
Throttle: The dog growls a bit and the drumming livens up. A baby down the street starts crying softly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KARMA! posted:

Idle: an old dog managing half a woof on the down stroke of someone playing the snare drum of a kid drumset.
Throttle: The dog growls a bit and the drumming livens up. A baby down the street starts crying softly.

I imagined this guy as the drummer. (edit: and also the woofer, like Phil Collins)

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

I lost 2lbs on the ride home.

crunchytacosupreme fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 24, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

its like lava posted:

So... its like lava?

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

its like lava posted:

poo poo... I got weird burns on my thighs cause the tank was so damned hot on the ride home yesterday. Still only got to 105 in El Paso though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For our 3-year anniversary this weekend, the wife and I are riding slab to Missoula and back and documenting our Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000. Both bikes are running great, we've got a collapsible cooler to bring in the wife's city bag which should keep all the road food we'll need, un-melted.

Not going to need a whole lot else. I'll bring a change of clothes just in case, but aside from food, oil, and emergency toolkit, we're packing really light.

I wanted to get new handlebars and grips before we leave but they only just arrived yesterday and I don't want to use a timed distance attempt as a shakedown run.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Frances B Cat posted:

poo poo... I got weird burns on my thighs cause the tank was so damned hot on the ride home yesterday. Still only got to 105 in El Paso though.

Same, burned my thighs and cawk through riding pants. It was 110*, or so.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Same, burned my thighs and cawk through riding pants. It was 110*, or so.

The last few days have been hot as poo poo. The metal zipper in my jeans heats up enough that its hot to the touch. One hour commutes are awesome in the Phoenix summer.

Edit: Jeans are under mesh overpants.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I ran a stop light last year taking a left onto a highway after baking in 105 degree sun on the Ducati in non-perf all black leather. I needed to get moving or I was going to pass out.

gently caress that noise. Now, have perf-leather will travel.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

sirbeefalot posted:

So... its like lava?

You know, I saw all the hazard lights first and assumed something catastrophic happened to the engine, and assumed it was 2 lbs of poo poo. So I didn't get this at first. But now I understand. It's because it's hot out.

Not because he ate something spicy. Somehow. Before.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You know, I saw all the hazard lights first and assumed something catastrophic happened to the engine, and assumed it was 2 lbs of poo poo. So I didn't get this at first. But now I understand. It's because it's hot out.

I thought all the warning lights meant some parts fell off.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jdonz posted:

The last few days have been hot as poo poo. The metal zipper in my jeans heats up enough that its hot to the touch. One hour commutes are awesome in the Phoenix summer.

Edit: Jeans are under mesh overpants.

The humidity is coming, I can feel it today. :smith:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BlackMK4 posted:

The humidity is coming, I can feel it today. :smith:

In your balls?!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

In your balls?!

Yes, it feels exactly like that time I picked up a wheelie without noticing the gas cap wasn't shut completely. A burning feeling in my loins. :v:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes, it feels exactly like that time I picked up a wheelie without noticing the gas cap wasn't shut completely. A burning feeling in my loins. :v:

Upshot of that experience: Balls clean of months of caked on oil, grime, and paint sap from pine trees.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Webbikeworld has a page on cooling vests: http://www.webbikeworld.com/cooling-vests/

A vest would probably be enough for your entire body, since blood would get cooled and circulate.

This seems pretty good: http://www.coolvest.com/RPCM_Cooling_Vest/Default.aspx

If you need to recharge it on the road, go inside a supermarket, hide it under the frozen peas and whistle innocently for a while.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ola posted:

Webbikeworld has a page on cooling vests: http://www.webbikeworld.com/cooling-vests/

A vest would probably be enough for your entire body, since blood would get cooled and circulate.

This seems pretty good: http://www.coolvest.com/RPCM_Cooling_Vest/Default.aspx

If you need to recharge it on the road, go inside a supermarket, hide it under the frozen peas and whistle innocently for a while.

Toss it into the cooler where they keep the bags of ice, go to magazine section and peruse Maxim mag's 100 hottest babes of east jersey, collect ice cold jacket, be on your way.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Or just buy an all mesh jacket and ride more carefully.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

Frances B Cat posted:

Same city. Radiant heat made it hotter.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

One time I had some really spicy wings and after a road bump I wished over pants had an emergency zipper.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

its like lava posted:

One time I had some really spicy wings and after a road bump I wished over pants had an emergency zipper.

There's mornings after fooling around with my gf where I ride in on my triumph and show up to work with the most incredible pain due to vibration and certain facts of life that conflict with sportbike riding position.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

There's mornings after fooling around with my gf where I ride in on my triumph and show up to work with the most incredible pain due to vibration and certain facts of life that conflict with sportbike riding position.

Ask her to use more lube so your day after ride is more comfortable?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

its like lava posted:

Ask her to use more lube so your day after ride is more comfortable?

Pssh. Lube is for chicks and chains.

I've got a shaft drive.

not on the daytona. gently caress nevermind

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Pssh. Lube is for chicks and chains.

I've got a shaft drive.

not on the daytona. gently caress nevermind

He means that she should use more lube on the strap-on next time. Real men don't complain about saddle soreness :clint:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JP Money posted:

Or just buy an all mesh jacket and ride more carefully.
This doesn't help when it's over 98 degrees out. Your body can't cool itself in those conditions and you need additional cooling.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

This doesn't help when it's over 98 degrees out. Your body can't cool itself in those conditions and you need additional cooling.

Actually evaporative cooling from sweat will still keep you cool well above 98, but the hotter it gets the more you have to sweat, and the more you sweat the more quickly you'll dehydrate, at which point you'll stop sweating and boil. It's absolutely a smart move to give your body a little assistance with a wet towel around your neck or even by soaking a t-shirt and wearing it under your jacket.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I really don't "get" cruisers. I'm doing the Kawasaki test rides today and this is the third cruiser I've been on and I've never liked them. Any aggressive turning makes the floor boards scrape which is unnerving, they're big and slow, the slightly reclined position kills my back, the huge fairings make you amazingly hot because of little wind flow and the engines themselves make a TON of heat. Gear boxes have always been clunky. Even if I got one for free I don't think I'd ever ride it.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

hayden. posted:

I really don't "get" cruisers. I'm doing the Kawasaki test rides today and this is the third cruiser I've been on and I've never liked them. Any aggressive turning makes the floor boards scrape which is unnerving, they're big and slow, the slightly reclined position kills my back, the huge fairings make you amazingly hot because of little wind flow and the engines themselves make a TON of heat. Gear boxes have always been clunky. Even if I got one for free I don't think I'd ever ride it.

For what it's worth, I don't really "get" sportbikes. I have the same problem as you with my back in the sportbike position. You break the speed limit on the highway in 1st gear. As someone with a naked cruiser I levy the same comments on heat you do on my old GSX-R 750.

I get all my go fast jollys from my dirtbike. Where a crash at a track day doesn't bankrupt and kill me.

Yes, my streetbike is a harley.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I guess I don't "get" cruisers either, you can't soak up bumps with your legs, you've got all four limbs pointing forward, scrunching your up, which makes it even harder to hang off the side a bit to make up for the lack of lean angle due to floor boards etc.

I don't "get" supersport bikes for street use either, you can go everywhere in 1st gear and still break just about any speed limit, you need to slip the clutch for basically all city driving, the riding position murders your arms unless you're going fast, they're just made for the track, not the street.

I like standard bikes, they make the most sense for street riding, I just can't see anything that a cruiser would do better than a standard, honestly. Supermotos are pretty cool too, I'll be looking at those for my next bike as well as standards.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bikes aren't very rational vehicles. While I love standards and adventure-ish types, the fact is the right bike for any given person is the bike that makes said person drool and swoon. They'll adapt to its peculiarities and discomforts or fall out of love.

Buy the way, I can't call adventure bikes "adventure bikes" anymore. It's a retarded marketing concept. What's a good name? Dual sport reminds me of "multi purpose vehicle" which is also a retarded marketing concept. But dual sport hints at "G/S, Gelände/Straße, offroad/road" which does make some sense. What say you hivemind?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I guess I don't "get" cruisers either, you can't soak up bumps with your legs, you've got all four limbs pointing forward, scrunching your up, which makes it even harder to hang off the side a bit to make up for the lack of lean angle due to floor boards etc.

I can understand this. I have rearsets on mine teehee

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't "get" supersport bikes for street use either, you can go everywhere in 1st gear and still break just about any speed limit, you need to slip the clutch for basically all city driving, the riding position murders your arms unless you're going fast, they're just made for the track, not the street.

Yes, first will break every speed limit in America on a current 600, gear them -1, +2 to make them more street friendly. Why would you need to slip the clutch for city driving? I only use the clutch to leave a light or drop gears. As far as murdering arms, use your back, abs, and legs to support yourself, not your arms.

Putting around the city at the speed limit is a pain in the rear end, but more from a throttle control area. Jerky when on and off the throttle at low revs and just not fun - solution - spirited riding everywhere. :D

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

Bikes aren't very rational vehicles. While I love standards and adventure-ish types, the fact is the right bike for any given person is the bike that makes said person drool and swoon. They'll adapt to its peculiarities and discomforts or fall out of love.

Buy the way, I can't call adventure bikes "adventure bikes" anymore. It's a retarded marketing concept. What's a good name? Dual sport reminds me of "multi purpose vehicle" which is also a retarded marketing concept. But dual sport hints at "G/S, Gelände/Straße, offroad/road" which does make some sense. What say you hivemind?

Allroad. Gives just enough of a nod to enduro's without trying to oversell it. Mostly because these things are 80% touring anyway.