Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Djarum posted:

Amen to that. I have preordered a bit of stuff on Amazon since I have got Prime and I wish everything would be up for preorder on there. I really don't understand why Hasbro or Mattel doesn't use them as a trusted preorder service.

Walmart wants a case pack of one Black Widow and 3 Movie and 3 Comic Caps? Fine.
Put up a preorder page on Amazon, figure out how many of what gets ordered and fill the order. It really boggles the mind that in the year 2014 I can't give these companies money for product I want.

I'm guessing Hasbro and other distributors don't want to syphon sales away from physical retailers like Wal-Mart and Target but an easy fix is to just do in-store pre-orders or online pre-orders for specific figures so they can get an idea of what to order and even gauge what the packouts should be based off of demand. Wal-Mart/Target/TRU et al could even mark up the pre-order by a few bucks and they'd still come out ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Louisgod posted:

I'm guessing Hasbro and other distributors don't want to syphon sales away from physical retailers like Wal-Mart and Target but an easy fix is to just do in-store pre-orders or online pre-orders for specific figures so they can get an idea of what to order and even gauge what the packouts should be based off of demand. Wal-Mart/Target/TRU et al could even mark up the pre-order by a few bucks and they'd still come out ahead.
Hasbro doesn't seem the be in the business of making money. I don't know what it is, but it's not even trying to give the consumer what they want.

The current Star Wars Black Series 6" wave features a carryover from the previous wave (apparently because the Anakin figure wasn't ready). Hasbro also chose to carry over Han Solo instead of Boba Fett. Next wave, they're doing it again, but since this wave contains the Stormtrooper, that's makes the carry forward choice a no-brainer, right? Right! The carryover will be "clown face" Obi-Wan.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Cheesus posted:

The carryover will be "clown face" Obi-Wan.

Who the gently caress wants Ewan Obi-Wan instead of Alec Obi-wan, that's my question.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Louisgod posted:

Hasbro being so concerned about physical retailers is a pretty silly idea in today's world, especially with a collector market. I know that physical retail is still a large part of their business mostly because they can't get their poo poo together to do online properly.

In a perfect world Hasbro or whoever announces a like at SDCC or where ever and says it is available for preorder on Amazon right now or retail in 4th Quarter.

Now Amazon takes around 20-100k orders per figure depending (I am sure something like a McFarlane Hulk or classic Storm will sell more than a Namora for example) and then they have a exact number to go on to produce and a better idea how to load case pack outs. You could even sell the idea to retailers as being able to have hard numbers on what is already selling for it. As a added bonus people like us can actually buy figures we want without having to sell a kidney to get them.

For example I'd love to have a Archangel but I have never seen one in the wild and I am not going to spend 40-60 dollars on a 15 dollar toy.

It is just shocking to know that just taking five minutes looking at the secondary market shows there is a market for certain stuff that is not being met. If I was a executive I would want to know why we are not supplying product to the customers and instead Joe Bob Scalper is getting 3-4x the retail price for it. That is under serving the customer and is costing them hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars a year.

What is strange is that you only see availability problems with Hasbro and formerly Mattel lines. For example Playmates with the new TMNT stuff I have never had a problem finding anywhere either at retail or online and at or below retail price.

It is a problem that should and likely can be easily solved and it is amazing it hasn't been.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Just as a heads up, the Disney Store has Black Series figures now and I saw Boba Fett. It's a little pricier at $25, but it's still better than buying from a scalper. I also saw the newer figures (Bespin Luke, Obi-Wan, Stormtrooper) at Disneyland so if you're really desperate, check there.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Djarum posted:

Hasbro being so concerned about physical retailers is a pretty silly idea in today's world, especially with a collector market. I know that physical retail is still a large part of their business mostly because they can't get their poo poo together to do online properly.

In a perfect world Hasbro or whoever announces a like at SDCC or where ever and says it is available for preorder on Amazon right now or retail in 4th Quarter.

Now Amazon takes around 20-100k orders per figure depending (I am sure something like a McFarlane Hulk or classic Storm will sell more than a Namora for example) and then they have a exact number to go on to produce and a better idea how to load case pack outs. You could even sell the idea to retailers as being able to have hard numbers on what is already selling for it. As a added bonus people like us can actually buy figures we want without having to sell a kidney to get them.

For example I'd love to have a Archangel but I have never seen one in the wild and I am not going to spend 40-60 dollars on a 15 dollar toy.

It is just shocking to know that just taking five minutes looking at the secondary market shows there is a market for certain stuff that is not being met. If I was a executive I would want to know why we are not supplying product to the customers and instead Joe Bob Scalper is getting 3-4x the retail price for it. That is under serving the customer and is costing them hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars a year.

What is strange is that you only see availability problems with Hasbro and formerly Mattel lines. For example Playmates with the new TMNT stuff I have never had a problem finding anywhere either at retail or online and at or below retail price.

It is a problem that should and likely can be easily solved and it is amazing it hasn't been.

Preaching to the choir. I think in Hasbro's case, when it comes to Legends, they're really, really bad about predicting which figures will sell well and end up putting in multiple figures that end up peg warming for months, which in turn convinces retailers that the figures don't sell and discourages them from either buying additional boxes or distancing themselves from the line. This even happens with LCSs too, like with the recent Wolverine Legends line; they pack Wolverine 3:1 or something stupid and now they're swimming in figures nobody wants while Emma goes for $70 on Amazon. Again, pre-orders for individual figures would basically solve this issue and give them an idea of which figures people actually want AND would edge out scalpers, which is where I feel a lot of the more in demand figures end up.

I think a recent fantastic example are the new Spider-Man and Cap legends figures. Depending on where you go, you see Amazing Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man and Electro rotting on the shelves while the other figures are nowhere to be seen since they're 1) packed lower and 2) wanted more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Yeah, but I spent all the free time I've had so far doing that list of "Whirl tips and tricks" over in the TF thread. :) I was going to just send an email but yes, the box absolutely arrived and everything was dandy. Except Man-E-Faces is a lot more boring that I was expecting. It's funny how sometimes a MOTUC unexpectedly blows you away, and other are just "yes. this is in updated version of the old figure. ho hum. :geno:"

Awesome and I agree, the MOTUC can sometimes blow. I expect Rio Blast to be terrible even though he's my most anticipated figure ever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gann Jerrod posted:

Just as a heads up, the Disney Store has Black Series figures now and I saw Boba Fett. It's a little pricier at $25, but it's still better than buying from a scalper. I also saw the newer figures (Bespin Luke, Obi-Wan, Stormtrooper) at Disneyland so if you're really desperate, check there.

You gave me something to do today.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Awesome and I agree, the MOTUC can sometimes blow. I expect Rio Blast to be terrible even though he's my most anticipated figure ever.

Just don't skip Modulok whatever you do, he was in my top 5 figures ever of all time amen within 2 minutes of getting the box open.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Just don't skip Modulok whatever you do, he was in my top 5 figures ever of all time amen within 2 minutes of getting the box open.

Sold out in what, 15 minutes. Is there a place to get him affordably?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

15 minutes? More like 2.

I'd wait a couple months, usually around May and June is when MOTUC prices take a dip because people kind of forget about it leading up to SDCC.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

Word. The thing that I am most curious about is whether there are still any kids out there who still casually buy these toys. I mean, 5-10 years ago, Marvel Legends were 7.99. Now they're 19.99, which is practically half the price of a video game. I would like to believe that the market consists primarily of collectors, but who knows. Maybe Hasbro is sitting on a pile of data that suggests that kids making impulse buys in big box stores forms the bulk of their market, but I'd seriously doubt it.

Hasbro obviously has the infrastructure to sell product through its website. Hell, it does it all of the time. I don't understand why they'd rather sell through the box stores and charge less per unit that cut out the middle man and charge retail prices. As was said upthread, a simple pre-order function through websites would go a long way.

A few months ago, someone in this thread pointed out that Japanese toys posed a serious threat to American toy makers because they produce figures of such a quality that they completely blow away anything Hasbro/Mattel can produce. I thought this was absurd, mainly because Japanese toys sell for 40 dollars minimum. However, when you consider that Amazon almost ALWAYS offers them for their minimum price through pre-ordering and compare that with figures like Black Widow, which some of us may have to pay scalper prices for, the threat makes sense. For 40-50 bucks, I could get an amazing high quality figure made by a Japanese company or I could pay a scalper that same amount to get a considerably inferior Hasbro figure. It's absurd to think that if Figuarts or Figma had the X-men license, they could deliver an Emma Frost figure that is both cheaper and significantly better quality than the one actually "released" in the US by Hasbro.

Basically, Hasbro hates money and big box stores can go suck a dick.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

MooselanderII posted:

Word. The thing that I am most curious about is whether there are still any kids out there who still casually buy these toys. I mean, 5-10 years ago, Marvel Legends were 7.99. Now they're 19.99, which is practically half the price of a video game. I would like to believe that the market consists primarily of collectors, but who knows. Maybe Hasbro is sitting on a pile of data that suggests that kids making impulse buys in big box stores forms the bulk of their market, but I'd seriously doubt it.

Hasbro obviously has the infrastructure to sell product through its website. Hell, it does it all of the time. I don't understand why they'd rather sell through the box stores and charge less per unit that cut out the middle man and charge retail prices. As was said upthread, a simple pre-order function through websites would go a long way.

A few months ago, someone in this thread pointed out that Japanese toys posed a serious threat to American toy makers because they produce figures of such a quality that they completely blow away anything Hasbro/Mattel can produce. I thought this was absurd, mainly because Japanese toys sell for 40 dollars minimum. However, when you consider that Amazon almost ALWAYS offers them for their minimum price through pre-ordering and compare that with figures like Black Widow, which some of us may have to pay scalper prices for, the threat makes sense. For 40-50 bucks, I could get an amazing high quality figure made by a Japanese company or I could pay a scalper that same amount to get a considerably inferior Hasbro figure. It's absurd to think that if Figuarts or Figma had the X-men license, they could deliver an Emma Frost figure that is both cheaper and significantly better quality than the one actually "released" in the US by Hasbro.

Basically, Hasbro hates money and big box stores can go suck a dick.

I am pretty sure I made the Japanese toy post awhile back. I agree with what I said then and it is even more true now that Hasbro has pushed the price up to 20 dollars. What is crazy though is NECA charges less for higher quality than Hasbro. One would expect that a company like Hasbro with the manufacturing and distribution systems that they do could beat someone like NECA in the quality and price department.

Sad thing is I know for a fact if Hasbro charged 40-50 bucks a figure they would still be garbage compared to the Japanese stuff.

I should just buy some Hasbro stock, show up to a stockholders meeting and confront them on why they hate money.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Sold out in what, 15 minutes. Is there a place to get him affordably?

I preordered at BBTS for $90, so I'm not the guy to ask if you want to be frugal. But I will say I don't feel ripped off at that price, he is so goddam fantastic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I preordered at BBTS for $90, so I'm not the guy to ask if you want to be frugal. But I will say I don't feel ripped off at that price, he is so goddam fantastic.

gently caress me, he's all over ebay for $60. I guess I'll snatch one up.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Do any of the japanese import sites have Figma Samus on sale at the moment?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

gently caress me, he's all over ebay for $60. I guess I'll snatch one up.

I'll tell you what, if you get one for $60 and don't like it I'll buy it off of you. Toxx, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'll tell you what, if you get one for $60 and don't like it I'll buy it off of you. Toxx, etc.

Sounds good but he was among my favorites as a kid and I need to bolster the MOTU shelf, I can't imagine not liking him.

So speaking of ebaying, is there any alternative for old figures I'm unaware of? I'm looking for a set of the 2007 TMNT movie figures, just the base turtles. There's a few on ebay for idiotic prices that are not selling and the sellers won't wiggle on price. I'm trying to assemble a set of each of he 4 from every major era and those and the 2003 series are all I'm missing now.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ka0 posted:

Not sure if you need to have it from an import site or not, but Amazon has it via Good Smile. They're who I ordered from and it came in perfect condition.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ka0 posted:

gently caress Japanese import sites.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Smile-Metroid-Action-Figure/dp/B00712Y28Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394499831&sr=8-1&keywords=samus

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Ka0 posted:

Available or cheap than normal? Because you won't get the later unless she warms warehouses and good luck with that, the rerelease made GSC's best selling figures list of 2013
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIG-IPN-3175&

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CelticPredator posted:

You gave me something to do today.

Wow. I'm kind of irritated after that trip. They had 8 of every single character, EXCEPT Boba Fett. This whole line is insane. Greedo should've been the short packed one. Only die hard fans care about that character. Almost everyone LOVES Boba Fett. Making him one per case is just annoying.

Oh well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's some dick at Hasbro hoarding them to sell on Ebay for himself.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

CelticPredator posted:

Wow. I'm kind of irritated after that trip. They had 8 of every single character, EXCEPT Boba Fett. This whole line is insane. Greedo should've been the short packed one. Only die hard fans care about that character. Almost everyone LOVES Boba Fett. Making him one per case is just annoying.

Oh well.

I stopped by my Disney store today too, and all they had was the same as you. I did however pick up the Superior Spider-Man Marvel Select figure.

And you know what the re-pack in wave 3 will be? Han Solo.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Try Barnes and Noble, if they still exist in your area. That's where I found my Boba Fett, and there were a few more behind him to boot.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Sounds good but he was among my favorites as a kid

Same here and oh man are you in for a treat, I'm giddy on your behalf. I think he's flat-out the best thing in the line, by a fair bit. I would worry about overhyping it but that's not possible.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I actually might. I don't know where it is...but if I do find it, it's probably a tad beat up, but if I find it, you can have it for no charge.

If you find it, I would be in your debt!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Beanpants posted:

Try Barnes and Noble, if they still exist in your area. That's where I found my Boba Fett, and there were a few more behind him to boot.

Tried it. Never a Boba Fett. But they sure have enough Hans, Leias and Greedos to make a 100 Boba Fetts. Ugh.

And I will look tonight for ya!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was pretty much right at the top of this box.

Like I said, he's a bit damaged, but if this works for you, it's yours.

Dog got a hold of it for a minute.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

He was pretty much right at the top of this box.

Like I said, he's a bit damaged, but if this works for you, it's yours.

Dog got a hold of it for a minute.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

Please e-mail me at saxman2 AT hotmail , if you would!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Done!

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Oh well.

The SW Black figures are 4 per case, one of each. So while not helpful, there still isn't a "shortpacked" figure. Not putting Boba in the wave 3 revision though is just stupid.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Sounds good but he was among my favorites as a kid and I need to bolster the MOTU shelf, I can't imagine not liking him.

So speaking of ebaying, is there any alternative for old figures I'm unaware of? I'm looking for a set of the 2007 TMNT movie figures, just the base turtles. There's a few on ebay for idiotic prices that are not selling and the sellers won't wiggle on price. I'm trying to assemble a set of each of he 4 from every major era and those and the 2003 series are all I'm missing now.

I have a full set of these turtles, complete except for one set of Mikey's nunchucks. I'd be willing to do a trade if you don't mind 'em loose.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. Platypus posted:

I have a full set of these turtles, complete except for one set of Mikey's nunchucks. I'd be willing to do a trade if you don't mind 'em loose.

Anything you're looking for in particular?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CelticPredator posted:

Oh well.

I was mostly underwhelmed by this line, but I got Greedo immediately. I think he's the best looking figure in the line so far.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Anything you're looking for in particular?

I'm mostly collecting Marvel Legends stuff these days. Shoot me an email at redacted and we can work something out.

Dr. Platypus fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 11, 2014

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

MooselanderII posted:

Oddly enough, Hasbro Toy Store is a separate company that pays licensing fees to use Hasbro's brand. They have to order stock just like other retailers. But as a Transformers fan, I feel ya. We just missed a wave with two of the most anticipated figures because it got under produced to the point where some of the stores around here haven't seen new stock since January. (The new Deluxe wave featuring Skids and Waspinator, in case you're curious.)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Late to chime in but seriously, Amiami is one of the most heavily trafficked sites out there for imports. Forget even pre-ordering anything, as they frequently sell out of those as well.

Why yes I AM upset about missing out on Battle-hopper, Figuarts Gaim and Chalice, thank you for asking!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Red posted:

I was mostly underwhelmed by this line, but I got Greedo immediately. I think he's the best looking figure in the line so far.

Yeah I have a few others but Greedo was my first must-have. I mean, the previous poster was right and we are giant nerdbergers and they need to put more Fetts on shelves, but totally backing you up that Greedo owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Yeah I have a few others but Greedo was my first must-have. I mean, the previous poster was right and we are giant nerdbergers and they need to put more Fetts on shelves, but totally backing you up that Greedo owns.

I'm actually thinking of buying a second one - I have yet to open the one I have. I rarely do the 'buy one to keep MIB, and one to open' thing, but...